Dolphins are the frontrunner on trade for Deshaun Watson

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Hard to say, but they signed some big type FA last year to multi-year deals and then in one off season started cutting them during this off season.  That in and off itself is not an issue, but several players seemed to balk at several of the cuts and trades and talked about losing major locker room leadership and vocal guys.

Then you have the issue with their top CB not dealing with his contract dispute in house, but using the media - again showing a lack of respect and then winning and getting his demands - makes you question how things are done.

Tua though is the biggest issue.  They started him last year, but it was obvious that the coaching staff was not comfortable with the decision because every chance things went a touch sour - they pulled him for Fitz.  Then tried to smooth things out by going back to him.  Then this off-season which should be huge for Tua - they begin looking at Watson as a trade at QB.  

Again showing a lack in confidence at the most important position.  Then you follow that up with another interview where the HC instead of putting the flames out - fans the flames by beating around the bush.  Then he meets with the team to give the “full backing of the team” speech, but at the same time denies that he needed to do that and then poorly navigates that interaction as the rumors come out that the owner wants Watson to join the team.

The final straw to me in the lost of respectability is the way some of his players talk about Tua on national broadcasts - there isn’t this talk of leadership and growth - it is very muted.  I think the players don’t believe he is the long term answer and that the team is trying to get someone else in place and they don’t want to say something and have it contradicted or have the team make them look bad.

I think you are right the sign of a leader is how they handle adversity- see McD with the Peterman choice in SD.  That decision could of cost him a locker room, but he talked with the team leadership and they navigated it and still made the playoffs.  

Conversely- Flores poorly handled the Tua situation last year and really poorly handled the decisions and choices as if it was out of his hands.  Then he moved on from respected leadership within the locker room that many players questioned and now he has poorly handled the Watson rumors.  I think all 3 show a muted lack of leadership by the HC.

Does the bad outweigh the good? Because I think that's all that matters to the players. You as an opposing fan  can not like how a HC handles situations but it won't matter if the team is succeeding.

A beat writer mentioned that Flores has one flaw and later hinted at it dealing with veterans. If I had to guess, it's probably the next man up mentality that he has. 

Tua has gotten tons of praise from his teammates for his leadership this offseaon. The rest is opinionated honestly.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, JohnNord said:

I hope this isn’t true because Watson fixes a lot of Miami’s issues.

I’ll be shocked if it doesn’t happen. Houston has to trade him and Miami is the only suitor. Watson wants to go there so that gets past the no trade clause. Plus there aren’t any QBs in the draft this year that look like sure things

3 minutes ago, JDubya76 said:

If Miami scrapes together enough capital to make the trade, when they intimate Watson will start, does he go to the commissioner exempt list? He’s not accused of murder but the charges are serious and similarly life altering for the alleged victims. 

for sure. no chance he plays. the nfl and texans are backdoor agreeing on this

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Can you even call that an update or a scoop? All he really said was something may or may not happen and then mentioned the team that’s been rumored the entire time. 

as with most of these reporters. They all say nothing

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't understand why the media feels compelled to bring this alleged assaulter up every couple days as if he isn't accused of doing despicable things. IMO there should just be a blanket agreement not to talk about Watson until the legal situation is resolved. 

The NFL needs to take some of the blame. They should just suspend him IMO.

• Agree 2

If the Eagles get a 1st for Wentz (I believe it goes up to a 1st if he meets playing time incentives) I think they would have 3 1sts next year. Watson would be a good idea for them, plus the Texans would be trading to the NFC.  I don't think Hurts is the answer there

2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Don't know when or how the suspension ends up ( I assume he's suspended eventually), but imo that's basically the only thing Miami is missing is a QB. Hope he dosn't land there, but if he does that team is wayyyy better.

I think they're missing a lot more than just a QB.  But he would certainly make them more formidable and solve that piece, assuming he stays healthy and out of (more) legal trouble.

And on a side note, after blowing it with Brees, they blew it with Tua over Herbert.  Good.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, this sort of deviant behavior should put this guy in jail, not suspension and a slap on the wrist.

It's stupefying to think that he could get just 6 weeks for this.  

and don't tell me "no one was injured or hurt".  BS.  this is assault and it has a creep factor of about 20...man o man.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’ll see these girls change their tune. Settlements will be made. It’ll go away.

I hope not. I girl is questionable, 2 a conspiracy, 3 a coincident many....he is done like dinner, or like Weinstien as they say.

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think they're missing a lot more than just a QB.  But he would certainly make them more formidable and solve that piece, assuming he stays healthy and out of (more) legal trouble.

And on a side note, after blowing it with Brees, they blew it with Tua over Herbert.  Good.

The thing is adding DeShaun Watson solves so many problems for Miami.  He’ll be able to overcome a terrible OL by reading defenses, scrambling out of trouble, and making the throws to good skills players that no QB on their roster can.  He’ll also get the benefit of an opportunistic defense, which you’d think should play a little better knowing that they actually have a QB to put points on the board.   

He probably doesn’t make Miami a Super Bowl contender but I can definitely them as a dangerous playoff team.  

Of course, it’s unlikely to happen because of MassageGate but I can’t figure out why more Dolphins fans aren’t clamoring for this move  

Just now, Buffalo619 said:

Why the delay in suspension? Could it be that the accusations are not credible? Could this be just another “me too” money grab?

Houston is making it easy on the NFL.  He’s going to be inactive this season unless they trade him which seems like a long shot.  If Houston were to start him, he’d probably be placed on the exempt list 

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

If the Eagles get a 1st for Wentz (I believe it goes up to a 1st if he meets playing time incentives) I think they would have 3 1sts next year. Watson would be a good idea for them, plus the Texans would be trading to the NFC.  I don't think Hurts is the answer there

It’s crazy to think about it but they might have 3 picks in the top 15 if all those teams continue to be lousy. 

Hurts is not the answer but they have a lot of holes and I would think the Eagles would want to take full advantage on the draft.  It should be a deep class in general given the Covid hold-overs from last year. 

Just now, Buffalo619 said:

Why the delay in suspension? Could it be that the accusations are not credible? Could this be just another “me too” money grab?

The problem with any conspiracy theory is the idea that you can get a group of humans to work together in an intelligent and coordinated way to foster an outcome.

If the last 18 months aren’t enough proof…..

30 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

It’s crazy to think about it but they might have 3 picks in the top 15 if all those teams continue to be lousy. 

Hurts is not the answer but they have a lot of holes and I would think the Eagles would want to take full advantage on the draft.  It should be a deep class in general given the Covid hold-overs from last year. 

If I’m Chris Grier (and the outside chance of Flores), I know I’m probably getting fired if Miami doesn’t make the playoffs.  Why protect draft picks that he might never get the chance to make?

If I'm Houston, I let him sit all season and see what teams find out they don't have a franchise QB (there will be many, actually) and then go from there.  No need to trade him before the season since the money's all been paid.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

If I'm Houston, I let him sit all season and see what teams find out they don't have a franchise QB (there will be many, actually) and then go from there.  No need to trade him before the season since the money's all been paid.

They are in an odd spot.  On one hand, you want to trade him while the stock high and not low like it now.

On the other hand, if he ends up indicted you might not get a chance to trade him at all.  

Hopefully they have good intel into the investigation 

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Agreed, I'm on record saying he should have been at least put on the Commissioner's exempt list before the season started. Cowards and hypocrites.

Technically they could do it now because it is arbitrary … but they would be going against precedent doing it prior to him being charged. If he settles, and isnt charged he can be suspended like Ben was. I don’t think the case is set to be heard until after the season. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The thing is adding DeShaun Watson solves so many problems for Miami.  He’ll be able to overcome a terrible OL by reading defenses, scrambling out of trouble, and making the throws to good skills players that no QB on their roster can.  He’ll also get the benefit of an opportunistic defense, which you’d think should play a little better knowing that they actually have a QB to put points on the board.   

He probably doesn’t make Miami a Super Bowl contender but I can definitely them as a dangerous playoff team.  

Of course, it’s unlikely to happen because of MassageGate but I can’t figure out why more Dolphins fans aren’t clamoring for this move  

Houston is making it easy on the NFL.  He’s going to be inactive this season unless they trade him which seems like a long shot.  If Houston were to start him, he’d probably be placed on the exempt list 

If HOU wants to ever trade him they should force the suspension now and "start him". What, you're going to sit him this year voluntarily, so that any inquiring team would inherit his potential suspension? They're killing their own potential haul here. 31 other teams would've managed this better

Edited by BillsShredder83

53 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

If HOU wants to ever trade him they should force the suspension now and "start him". What, you're going to sit him this year voluntarily, so that any inquiring team would inherit his potential suspension? They're killing their own potential haul here. 31 other teams would've managed this better

I think any team interested in him won't care about the looming suspension.  The suspension will be maybe 6-8 games.  That still leaves many many more years to play.