Sports Illustrated: Bills Biggest Weakness, Defensive Tackle

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: This was a toss-up for me, a process made no easier given that any person or position named in this space would immediately draw the ire of Bills Mafia. And it makes sense; this is as complete a team as we’ll see in the NFL this year. Linebacker was another option. Either is going to sound nitpicky, but remember that this is a weakness relative to the rest of the team and not necessarily the league. A pairing of Ed Oliver and Star Lotulelei sounds good on paper, and Oliver was actually one of Buffalo’s best defensive players in terms of net yards over average last season, behind only Matt Milano. That said, the unit lacks some punch, finishing 26th in yards per attempt surrendered by opposing running backs (Lotulelei opted out of the 2020 season, and in ’19 the unit was eight spots better in the same category). Buffalo did a majority of its work this offseason on the pass rush, which may have been a way of compensating for a threadbare defensive tackle class in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

I'd have to agree here, our goes are going to try to run right up the gut on us and it's up to those guys to stop it.

It ain't gonna be all sunshine and roses.

The plan is going to be to try to keep Alan off the field as much as possible.

I hope we look at it as an exciting challenge.

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Defensive Tackle, Tight End, Linebacker, Cornerback. 

Linebaker does not belong on that list.  We play 2 90% Milano and Edmunds are as good as any.  Klien is a suitable backup.  I think Dodson and Smith have upside.  Idk what the expectations for the position would be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Outside of Tre, it has to be CB. Taron Johnson has a knack for making some plays in the slot, but we've seen him get dinged up and miss some time as well. I really thought Dane would step up and lock down the #2 CB spot, but it looks like Levi again. Our depth is not so great at the position either. Just my 2. 

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

This is going to sound utterly insane, but losing Tre White could be almost as devastating as losing Josh Allen. :ph34r:

Hopefully that's not true with a much improved pass rush. A good pass rush can mask a poor secondary, to a certain extent, of course.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Hopefully that's not true with a much improved pass rush. A good pass rush can mask a poor secondary, to a certain extent, of course.

Yeah, that is exactly the only thing I could think of that could bail us out if Levi Wallace is suddenly our #1 corner.

• Shocked 1

33 minutes ago, Simon said:

This is going to sound utterly insane, but losing Tre White could be almost as devastating as losing Josh Allen. :ph34r:

It's right there staring us in the face! I was a huge advocate of finding a way to get Patrick Peterson in here. It wouldn't of been easy but it could of been done.

39 minutes ago, H2o said:

Outside of Tre, it has to be CB. Taron Johnson has a knack for making some plays in the slot, but we've seen him get dinged up and miss some time as well. I really thought Dane would step up and lock down the #2 CB spot, but it looks like Levi again. Our depth is not so great at the position either. Just my 2. 

But we have Tre.

43 minutes ago, Simon said:

Not too insane. Trubisky could keep the ship afloat if Josh went down. If Tre went down and Levi is all of a sudden our CB1? 😵😵😵😵

3 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

But we have Tre.

Definitely, but I think they're operating with the "two is one and one is none," mindset. With Tre we're fine, but we are one unfortunate play away from being screwed. Other positions have better depth.

44 minutes ago, H2o said:

Besides his two INT TDs.....Johnson gets beat like a rented mule on the regular. 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Defensive Tackle, Tight End, Linebacker, Cornerback. 

I'd take LB out of the your list: DT, TE, CB and then perhaps OL depth. LB depth has never been better.

Knowing we are not that weak at any position and all teams are quickly decimated by injuries to one position.

The Bills are the third best team in the league until further notice and that's pretty darn good.

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: This was a toss-up for me, a process made no easier given that any person or position named in this space would immediately draw the ire of Bills Mafia. And it makes sense; this is as complete a team as we’ll see in the NFL this year. Linebacker was another option. Either is going to sound nitpicky, but remember that this is a weakness relative to the rest of the team and not necessarily the league. A pairing of Ed Oliver and Star Lotulelei sounds good on paper, and Oliver was actually one of Buffalo’s best defensive players in terms of net yards over average last season, behind only Matt Milano. That said, the unit lacks some punch, finishing 26th in yards per attempt surrendered by opposing running backs (Lotulelei opted out of the 2020 season, and in ’19 the unit was eight spots better in the same category). Buffalo did a majority of its work this offseason on the pass rush, which may have been a way of compensating for a threadbare defensive tackle class in the draft.

Thanks Leroy!

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Simon said:

Well it's definitely not even remotely close to insane. You are right though, losing Tre would be a major blow to the defense almost as bad as losing Josh would to the offense. 

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

If most teams lose their CB1, they're screwed.

Yeah, but not like we would be.

Levi Wallace might be the least-gifted #2 in the league; then have him as the #1 in front of a bunch of kids who have been wildly inconsistent at best?

We wouldn't be able to run any games at all on the back end, opposing O-Coordinators would be able to call our D for us, there'd be multiples running free on every snap and we could lose every game we didn't have the ball last.

On the plus side, a big string of 48 - 45 games might kill the weakest 10% of the posters in this forum. :devil:

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

It's this but it's a newer article and grayed out

Not for me and I have no subscription,

Either:

1. They changed status of article.

2. They have a filter to which says "Simon stay out".

NE did get two paragraphs and an automatically playing video.

I would say Bills' issue is lack of team cohesion.

As a position group, TE is still the biggest question mark.

DT is probably second but if Star plays well they will be fine. Depth is a challenge agreed but the starters are solid.. Oliver is primed for a breakout year prior to making a decision to pick up his option. 

Agree the LB unit depth is good and better than it has been in years.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but Edmunds is the single biggest question mark on the team when you consider how critical his position is. You can work around a substandard TE. You can't do that at MLB

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

As a position group, TE is still the biggest question mark.

DT is probably second but if Star plays well they will be fine. Depth is a challenge agreed but the starters are solid.. Oliver is primed for a breakout year prior to making a decision to pick up his option. 

Agree the LB unit depth is good and better than it has been in years.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but Edmunds is the single biggest question mark on the team when you consider how critical his position is. You can work around a substandard TE. You can't do that at MLB

You are not beating a dead horse, you a beating a sack of vegan ground horse meat.

Clearly the Bills have a different opinion than you on Edmunds.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

It's this but it's a newer article and grayed out

Seems to be working now. At least for me. Hard to believe someone would quote the article but not provide the link. Maybe not all that hard to believe. 

And yes, CB is where the Bills are thinnest should Tre go down. No doubt in my mind.  As has  been discussed, an improved pass rush should help. Also the Bills scheme is a bit more forgiving to CBs who are disciplined but maybe not all that athletic. But there's only so much a scheme can do when the talent gets thin.

8 minutes ago, Reader said:

Definitely, but I think they're operating with the "two is one and one is none," mindset. With Tre we're fine, but we are one unfortunate play away from being screwed. Other positions have better depth.

Yes, Aside from Allen, Tre is the guy who cannot get hurt. Then Dawkins, imho....

Someone said TE is the weakest and he's right, but I think DT as it is a more important hole to have. Again, not that we're terrible there, just not good. I wish Harry was 100% but he is not.

So, maybe my revised list.... worst to first.....

TE, DT, CB, OL depth (Boetger is are only rock, imho) IDK?.... RB, LB, S, WR, DE, QB?

Maybe switch WR and DE but an injury to Diggs would be huge I think. And I think Beasley, Sander, And McKenzie are bit injury prone. We definitely have enough DE for the season. But we may no blue chippers here (at least, not yet. We'll see. I like AJ, Boogie And Groot And even Bam as his potential is up there. Those four could be our set for next season to be sure. Then there's Efe to consider..... Interesting group at DE I hope we end up with some true blue chippers. Right now, the Bills are almost a solid red team.  No real weaknesses. Only three to five blue-chippers: JA, Tre, Diggs, Poyer And Dion.  Poyer lacks the freak athleticism of most blue-chippers though.... though perhaps Poyer's freak talent is that he can take players down that outweigh him by 100# and not get injured! Knock on wood. No jinxes! 

A good way to look at the WR room: Diggs is a solid true-blue #1 WR. Sanders is a solid #2. Beasley a top #3. Davis an excellent #4, McKenzie an excellent #5. Kumerow an interesting #6. His special teams and blocking are excellent and they are weapons. He runs some good routes too and knows how to win with size, just an excellent #6. Stevenson is everything you want in a #7. Deep speed. Young, adequate size. STs ability. Very good Potential (hopefully coachable to move way up the list! And then it looks like (according to Joe B anyhow) that Hodgins has potential at WR as well. Can he play STs on the way? Interesting, interesting stuff. We need to be developing Stevenson and Hodgins all year!!! It is my hope anyway.

(Stevenson has an injury record that the training staff has to work with but I think our training staff is the best in the league.)

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills

This is a reasonable opinion.  There’s a huge emphasis on Oliver, Lotulelei and Edmunds to improve the run defense and I’m not confident on their ability to step it up

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest weakness is TE, although Hollister might be better.

The worst injury loss would be Bass, followed by White. I believe there is a capable backup in every other position.

Losing Allen will probably take the team out of Superbowl contention, but Trubisky can keep the team competitive.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Yeah, that is exactly the only thing I could think of that could bail us out if Levi Wallace is suddenly our #1 corner.

Levi as CB1is a very scary thought.  I think he’s ok at CB2, especially if the pass rush improves 

• Like (+1) 1