Gameday Thread Preseason #2 Bills @ Bears 8/21 2nd Half Thread

Even as an opposing fan I was like "RUN FIELDS YOU FOOL YOU ARE GOING TO DIE".  But yeah, even with the penalty I still wouldn't turn back time to change it.  That will get in his head and maybe throw him off.  As others have said it's a real welcome to the NFL moment.

Also not a valid penalty, was a "that looked scary" flag.  Tighten your chin strap, Justin.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

If Sweeney is healthy he makes the team. If he isn't I wouldn't be at all shocked if they go with just 2 and Gilliam as a hybrid. They don't have anyone else.

I think we’re good with Knox, Hollister, Gilliam and Sweeney, but if one of these guys get hurt, we need a headhunter/blocking TE to round out the unit. It’s dirty work but it must be done.

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

If they're open, the coaches are going to see that on the tape. It's not going to hurt them THAT much.

You're right but if you're watching fan or coach you definitely want to see him attempt throws every down unless your pocket is gone.  

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Facemask-to-facemask is the same thing.... you can't hit the head on a QB in the pocket. That's been the rule for years now.

No I get that.  A rule is a rule, penalty is a penalty type thing.  That said Smith lowers his head and blasts him and I'm thinking dumb play.  He goes in head up and makes a play on the QB and I'm thinking dumb rule.

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Soldier Field isn't 100 years old. It's 19.  The facade surrounding the building is 100 years old.

Lambeau Field had an inflation adjusted 455 million dollar renovation in 2001 and another 150 million dollar reno in 2013.

And you are right, our stadium isn't in the group of historical stadia, nor should it be. It's old, and not everything old is historical.

And FWIW, Cleveland moved because the city jerked Art Modell around about a stadium for a LONG time.

Cleveland was pissed when Modell moved. That stadium was leased for another 2 or 3 years and they were begging for him to stay until the lease ran out. They loved the Browns and would have definitely supplied a new stadium had he stayed the length of it. They broke ground on their stadium now like a year after the other one was torn down. Why would they screw with Modell on a new stadium and willingly build a new one right after he leaves? 

Just now, Ralonzo said:

hopefully it’s just serious enough for IR 

Could work out perfect for the Bills - they've seen what he can do - put him on IR now and potentially bring him back later - unlimited players can come back from IR again this year

1 minute ago, 1ManRaid said:

Even as an opposing fan I was like "RUN FIELDS YOU FOOL YOU ARE GOING TO DIE".  But yeah, even with the penalty I still wouldn't turn back time to change it.  That will get in his head and maybe throw him off.  As others have said it's a real welcome to the NFL moment.

Also not a valid penalty, was a "that looked scary" flag.  Tighten your chin strap, Justin.

He hit him in the head for sure, but Fields needs to tighten that chin strap for sure. I've never seen anyone wear it so loosely.

Just now, Maine-iac said:

No I get that.  A rule is a rule, penalty is a penalty type thing.  That said Smith lowers his head and blasts him and I'm thinking dumb play.  He goes in head up and makes a play on the QB and I'm thinking dumb rule.

I don't think it's a dumb rule, but I still like the hit. Make that hit all day, take the penalty, but get in the QB's head (figuratively 😄)

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

I think we’re good with Knox, Hollister, Gilliam and Sweeney, but if one of these guys get hurt, we need a headhunter/blocking TE to round out the unit. It’s dirty work but it must be done.

So I am not against blocking tight ends. I was a Lee Smith truther. But Sweeney isn't really a "blocking" tight end. He can block a bit... so can the other two. But none of them are "blocking" tight ends. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

Cleveland was pissed when Modell moved. That stadium was leased for another 2 or 3 years and they were begging for him to stay until the lease ran out. They loved the Browns and would have definitely supplied a new stadium had he stayed the length of it. They broke ground on their stadium now like a year after the other one was torn down. Why would they screw with Modell on a new stadium and willingly build a new one right after he leaves? 

That's not how I remembered it.  Cleveland was adamantly opposed to a new stadium.  The only reason they built a new one is because public sentiment changed after he left.

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

LOL, Jesus Christ, Powell tackled by his own man.

Like the Henry stiff arm on Norman, I was like "LOL ya that was awesome."

7 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Why the whistle? He wasn’t down by contact with a Bear…

It's the preseason.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

That was a good NFL throw from Fields. Not his fault the guy couldnt hang on.

Yes to me he just shows enough that you have to roll with him. I don't think he is gonna be pretty as a rook but I think like Josh did here he will find ways to move the ball and Dalton seriously sucks. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

Because they realized they screwed up and begged the league for an expansion franchise.  If they'd built the football stadium before the baseball stadium the Browns wouldn't have left.  They didn't do that, even though the Browns were consistently winning at the time, and the baseball team was terrible. They kept stringing Modell along over and over again.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

So I am not against blocking tight ends. I was a Lee Smith truther. But Sweeney isn't really a "blocking" tight end. He can block a bit... so can the other two. But none of them are "blocking" tight ends. 

Yes

Lee Smith was more of a "catching lineman."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

He hit him in the head for sure, but Fields needs to tighten that chin strap for sure. I've never seen anyone wear it so loosely.

No he hit the shoulder first with such force it slid up to the face mask to face mask not a penalty by any rule.

• Dislike 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Better than nothing I say. See that hit Fields took? That’s the value in players like Lee Smith. Their job is to get defenders dirty.

Just now, Victory Formation said:

Better than nothing I say. See that hit Fields took? That’s the value in players like Lee Smith. Their job is to get defenders dirty.

Like I said, I was a Lee Smith truther, you don't need to convince me of his value. 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

From the slow-mo I saw, it was a glance across the edge of the face mask.  Whether that counts as a penalty or not, it's not the reason the helmet went flying.

• Agree 1