Vic Carucci retiring from Buffalo News

Vic is one of the good ones...not afraid to be critical but also willing to acknowledge team and player successes.  Too many "reporters" these days think it's a crime to actually be positive about something.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Vic is one of the good ones...not afraid to be critical but also willing to acknowledge team and player successes.  Too many "reporters" these days think it's a crime to actually be positive about something.

Other than Jerry Sullivan who definitely has made being miserable his stock in trade I am not sure any of the other regular Bills beat guys can be accused of this. Sure some of them were critical a lot 5 or 6 years ago but that is because there was a lot wrong. 

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Other than Jerry Sullivan who definitely has made being miserable his stock in trade I am not sure any of the other regular Bills beat guys can be accused of this. Sure some of them were critical a lot 5 or 6 years ago but that is because there was a lot wrong. 

You're right, the reporters seem less grumpy now that they are covering a reputable team/organization.

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Correct about this. 

I'm partial to the written word, and not having Carucci's words is a loss for me.  He's done a seriously good job for a long time.  Congratulations to him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

17 minutes ago, eball said:

You're right, the reporters seem less grumpy now that they are covering a reputable team/organization.

I think at times fans blamed the media for reporting on the organisation's ineptitude rather than the organisation for being inept. Jerry, however, was a special case that man could turn winning the lottery into a negative. "Great now everyone is gonna come asking me for money. Humbug."

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Sully is cranky, but he's been plenty positive over the years many times when it was called for. He just hasn't been around many teams that deserved to have more than bits and pieces of good things said about them.

I remember 2011 when Sully said that if things continued as they had - the Bills were 5 - 2 - Gailey deserved consideration for coach of the year. He definitely put the conditional in there, as well he should have, as the Bills ended up 6-10 that year, but when there were good things to be said, Sully has said them. He's still eviscerating the Sabres, deservedly, but he knows the Bills are looking special and he's said it plenty of times.

Carucci will be a loss. He's always been a solid, insightful guy.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sully is cranky, but he's been plenty positive over the years many times when it was called for. He just hasn't been around many teams that deserved to have more than bits and pieces of good things said about them.

I remember 2011 when Sully said that if things continued as they had - the Bills were 5 - 2 - Gailey deserved consideration for coach of the year. He definitely put the conditional in there, as well he should have, as the Bills ended up 6-10 that year, but when there were good things to be said, Sully has said them. He's still eviscerating the Sabres, deservedly, but he knows the Bills are looking special and he's said it plenty of times.

Carucci will be a loss. He's always been a solid, insightful guy.

I must have missed his positive day 🤣

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

I love Vic.  I’ve called into NFLR on his Press Coverage show for years and I’m so you guys know, Dan from FL.  I wish he would’ve been offered or taken the Felser weekly article.  That would’ve been fun.  I’m going to rub him Saturday on it.

I delivered his interoffice mail from 1987-90 (college job) and was always gracious.  I didn’t see him a lot as he was always at OBD.  He’s going to be missed.

Listen to him amd Dan Leberfeld on Saturdays if you ever want to talk to him.

I so much admire Carucci. 

I have another compliment to toss his way: What an articulate, well-delivered, message.  Almost no hms or uhs or other pauses -- just a stream of well-chosen words.  

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I am getting old

Yes you are… 👨🏻‍🦳

😁

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Thank you on Jerry Sullivan.  Unreadable and unlistenable.  Like a friggin dark cloud all of the time.  

Always loved Vic….it seems to me that he still loves covering football but that his gig with BN wasn’t worth the amount of time he was spending on the job.  He can still talk football on a p/t level through Sirius and WGRZ and make some decent money for limited hours.  He can also spend more time at home 

Congrats and good luck to Vic. I was disappointed when he briefly left to cover Cleveland but was glad when he came back home to WNY where he belongs. To me, he and the late, great Larry Felser were the best to cover the Bills and were the eyes and ears of Bills fans for years prior to the days of the internet, social media, and podcasts. I really enjoyed his work over the years but I will still be listening to him on Sirius/XM. Thanks, Vic.

• Like (+1) 1