Athletic article on JP Losman

34 minutes ago, cage said:

Its absolutely worth it.  Its the only subscription of any kind that I pay for.  The Bills writers Joe Buscaglia and Matt Fairburn do so many great stories and analysis.  Then John Vogl focuses on Sabres.  He's got tough assignment.  Also Tim Graham simply paints on a broader canvas.   He'll do Sabres stories and general Buffalo sports stories that are totally captivating.  

Buscaglia focuses heavily on analysis; post-game, draft, roster and such.  Fairburn does Bills analysis, but also these kinds of great stories.  One of the best ones he did was a feature on Ike Boettger.  It was mid-season, right after the Seahawks games, where the team just dominated.  The personal interest story seemed initially weird on the heels of that game, but he really brought it together well tying it to the game as it coincided w/ Boettger's first start.  Reaching beyond the Bills/Sabres, Graham did an outstanding story on ex-wrestler Lex Luger who went to Orchard Park HS and has fallen on some very hard times.  He also did a great story on Stevie Johnson.

All of its worth the $!

Thanks @cage, I just signed up based in no small part on your detailed recommendation, looks like the deal for $1/month vs 7.99/month was enough to reel me in this time 😁

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buftex said:

Really?

i agree. guy was a monster with the deep ball but inconsistent at the short stuff. i dont think the coaches ruined his accuracy on 5 yard hitch routes. 

if the coaches fig out how to run lee evans go routes successfully every single play, hed be in the hall of fame and have a collection of rings.

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The best way to describe those lines was basically Jason Peters and four guys who weren't good enough to be journeymen (Mike Gandy, Melvin Fowler Chris Villarrial in the last year of his career as he fell apart, and Terrance Pennington were the most frequent starters, though Tutan Reyes got six starts, as did Duke Preston. 

Make it stop! My god, you wonder how we ever won 9 games with Mularky or 7 seemingly every year with Jauron. This org was clueless back then. Night and day compared to now. 

JP along with Gary Marangi were my 2 biggest Bills QB disappointments. After 2.5 years of absolute garbage with the brain-dead POS statue, I was so excited to change to a mobile QB in 2005, damn shame it didn’t work out. In 2007, I was more than cool with it, but I was a little surprised he got such a quick hook for Edwards.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I really like Fairburn - even when he was a beat reporter he always made an effort to find an angle and reach out to a variety of connected people for a story - instead of just re-hashing quotes from PCs which is what so many do.

That being said I was surrised he didn't have more actual commentary from Losman himsef - would have been interesting to hear more of his personal thoughts about his time in Buffalo.

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I do think coaching makes a big difference, i think Allen flops if he is drafted by the jets. Allen didn't start well here but McDermott had the patience to stick with him when many here wanted him gone. 

JP's QB coach was Sam Wyche, one of the best in the business for a position coach.  If coaching made such a difference JP would be on the Wall of Fame.  

The only people who wanted Josh gone were the stat boys who don't know how to watch a game without a stat sheet.  

10 minutes ago, Rico said:

JP along with Gary Marangi were my 2 biggest Bills QB disappointments. After 2.5 years of absolute garbage with the brain-dead POS statue, I was so excited to change to a mobile QB in 2005, damn shame it didn’t work out. In 2007, I was more than cool with it, but I was a little surprised he got such a quick hook for Edwards.

Based on that article, there is zero reason it couldn’t have worked out differently for him with better coaching.  He’s clearly a student of the game - “all ball” - and had the tools to be great.  His floor, with proper coaching, should’ve been Jake Plummer.  Again, Ralph kept the Bills in Buffalo and for that we should be duly thankful.  But he was a real PoS.

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

JP's QB coach was Sam Wyche, one of the best in the business for a position coach.  If coaching made such a difference JP would be on the Wall of Fame.  

The only people who wanted Josh gone were the stat boys who don't know how to watch a game without a stat sheet.  

Wyche was well past his prime by then.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

6 hours ago, Rico said:

When JP started in 2005 I predicted the Bills would win 12 games-woops!  

In 2017 when Tyrod was in a slump and people were calling for Peterman, I was calling him Nathan Marangi telling them to be careful what you wish for.  

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Only as a quarterback, not as a QB coach.  He wasn't being asked to be a head coach and he was probably one of the best QB coaches in the NFL when he was JP's coach.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I do think coaching makes a big difference, i think Allen flops if he is drafted by the jets. Allen didn't start well here but McDermott had the patience to stick with him when many here wanted him gone

What Bills fan “wanted Allen gone” after his rookie season?  No sane one.

As for Losman, I do plan to read the article and count me in the camp who believe the Bills’ coaching staff did him no favors.  He was a confident kid and it appears that instead of mentoring him the Bills felt they needed to “knock him down a peg” — hence Troy Vincent breaking his leg in practice.  I won’t go so far as to say his career would have been significantly different but he was dealt a bad hand being drafted by that dysfunctional organization.  He always came across as a really good dude and he completely embraced the city of Buffalo while he was here; I’m happy he has found a home and a calling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Really.

That's the way it's always seemed. Losman started slow, with the injury and being behind Bledsoe. Then rather than let Bledsoe stay and making JP play his way into the lineup, they got rid of Bledsoe, which turned a lot of players and fans against Losman, who was correctly being perceived as being handed the job without earning it. But it wasn't Losman who got rid of Bledsoe, it was the coaches.

Then he played really promisingly in 2006, improving a ton. He wasn't there yet, but he was really headed in the right direction. He had started developing a style, which was that he was a gunslinger, a guy who was really good at evading rushes, buying time and hitting guys off a scramble. He made too many mistakes, but had only thrown about 650 NFL passes. He was still young, learning and developing, and he'd always been a developmental prospect.

More, they put him behind terrible lines. The best way to describe those lines was basically Jason Peters and four guys who weren't good enough to be journeymen (Mike Gandy, Melvin Fowler Chris Villarrial in the last year of his career as he fell apart, and Terrance Pennington were the most frequent starters, though Tutan Reyes got six starts, as did Duke Preston. 

He still improved and looked promising.

So they fired the OC and brought in a guy who decided to go directly against Losman's abilities. He was a scrambler, a gunslinger and a risk taker with a monster arm and a good connection with the fleet Lee Evans.

Instead of trying to smooth the rough edges off, they tried to turn him into a Brady-style, timing-route hitting guy throwing short passes. The new coaches, Fairchild in particular, made sure to avoid his strengths and get him to play as much as possible in his areas of weakness. 

He regressed and was never the same.

He was handled really badly here. 

It's impossible to know whether or not he'd have succeeded if he'd been handled well. But he absolutely was handled badly. They minimized his chances.

From the owner on down the chain of command the Bills were really bad back then and wasted repeated opportunities,  we made the jets look good, and that’s saying something...

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Really.

That's the way it's always seemed. Losman started slow, with the injury and being behind Bledsoe. Then rather than let Bledsoe stay and making JP play his way into the lineup, they got rid of Bledsoe, which turned a lot of players and fans against Losman, who was correctly being perceived as being handed the job without earning it. But it wasn't Losman who got rid of Bledsoe, it was the coaches.

Then he played really promisingly in 2006, improving a ton. He wasn't there yet, but he was really headed in the right direction. He had started developing a style, which was that he was a gunslinger, a guy who was really good at evading rushes, buying time and hitting guys off a scramble. He made too many mistakes, but had only thrown about 650 NFL passes. He was still young, learning and developing, and he'd always been a developmental prospect.

More, they put him behind terrible lines. The best way to describe those lines was basically Jason Peters and four guys who weren't good enough to be journeymen (Mike Gandy, Melvin Fowler Chris Villarrial in the last year of his career as he fell apart, and Terrance Pennington were the most frequent starters, though Tutan Reyes got six starts, as did Duke Preston. 

So they fired the OC and brought in a guy who decided to go directly against Losman's abilities. He was a scrambler, a gunslinger and a risk taker with a monster arm and a good connection with the fleet Lee Evans.

Instead of trying to smooth the rough edges off, they tried to turn him into a Brady-style, timing-route hitting guy throwing short passes. The new coaches, Fairchild in particular, made sure to avoid his strengths and get him to play as much as possible in his areas of weakness. 

It's impossible to know whether or not he'd have succeeded if he'd been handled well. But he absolutely was handled badly. They minimized his chances.

He was a "scrambler" and a "Gunslinger" because he didn't know  the Offense, couldn't read a Defense, didn't know were his other receivers were.

He delivered 1 full season as starter in his first 5 years.  That was his "promising" 2006 season, where despite his scrambling, he took a massive 47 sacks on only 429 drop-backs. It was his only pro season where he threw for more TDs than INTs (2 pick 6's).  He fumbled 13 times.  Only 7.1 YPA and 35 pass plays of 20+ yards in 429 attempts with that big arm.   And that was as good as he would ever get in this league.  

Despite heroic attempts in this thread to boldly re-write history, this kid was an awful NFL QB.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I was at that game. It was fun! Melvin Fowler’s parents grabbed me as I was hanging out cheering as the players left the field, and brought me down to meet Melvin hang out with the players and their friends and family before they got on their bus. Such a cool experience. 

Wow, Melvin Fowler!!!

When he took the field he really looked like a talented pro who could play his position. That is why it took me 2 or 3 games to realize that he was a simply horrible center. I mean terrible at run and pass blocking.

I am however happy to hear that he was a nice guy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Wow, Melvin Fowler!!!

When he took the field he really looked like a talented pro who could play his position. That is why it took me 2 or 3 games to realize that he was a simply horrible center. I mean terrible at run and pass blocking.

I am however happy to hear that he was a nice guy.

His parents were awesome too! They grabbed me and a couple of other fans and told security we were with them. They even made sure I had a pen to get autographs if I wanted them. I got about 20 signatures on my Bills visor. Such an awesome memory. My buddies had already gone to the car to drink and stadium security wouldn’t let them back in to join me. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Based on that article, there is zero reason it couldn’t have worked out differently for him with better coaching.  He’s clearly a student of the game - “all ball” - and had the tools to be great.  His floor, with proper coaching, should’ve been Jake Plummer.  Again, Ralph kept the Bills in Buffalo and for that we should be duly thankful.  But he was a real PoS.

Yup, living on reputation would be a good way to put it. That was the way of things at OBD in those days, for the most part all administrative functions, from ownership to position coaches were maned by buffoons, again for the most part, it’s no wonder the team had so little success. The marked contrast to what is going on now at OBD has been a galactic shift in the level of intelligence of those doing those jobs. It’s so very nice to have smart people running the show.

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I agree with the first part. Regarding Ralph: he wasn't a great owner, but he was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a PoS.

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I agree with the first part. Regarding Ralph: he wasn't a great owner, but he was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a PoS.

Maybe not as a person, but he certainly was a PoS of an owner.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, jkeerie said:

As George Bernard Shaw said:  "Those who can do, those who cannot teach."

Reminds me of a good adage: "you haven't taught until the student has learned".

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

When JP started in 2015 I predicted the Bills would win 12 games-woops!  

Yeah, in 2005, in anticipation of a glorious Bills season, I subscribed to Sunday Ticket for the first time ever, and got DirecTV instead of cable. The Bills started 1-0, but it was all downhill after that. I never subscribed to Sunday Ticket again, lol.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Really.

I read that during Losman's success in 2006, the coaches had simplified the offense, thereby improving Losman's success. If the goal was to give Losman his best chance of success, they should never have fired their offensive coordinator.

I'd also point out this: during Drew Bledsoe's last years with the Patriots, that team began moving away from his strengths (such as the deep ball) and towards things he didn't do as well (short passes to moving targets). The Patriots had a vision of the offense as they wanted it, and Bledsoe was not a great fit for that vision. Then he got hurt, and a different quarterback came in and delivered on that vision.

In 2007, the Bills did to Losman the exact same thing the Patriots had done to Bledsoe. They implemented an offense predicated on short passes, which as you pointed out was not a fit for what Losman did well. That was also the year they'd drafted Trent Edwards, and it's entirely possible the short passing offense was implemented in an effort to play to Edwards' strengths.

Suppose the Bills hadn't fired their offensive coordinator from 2006, suppose they hadn't drafted Trent Edwards, and suppose they'd left in place the offensive scheme they'd used in the second half of the 2006 season. What would Losman's ceiling have been? The comparison quarterback which comes to mind is Tyrod Taylor. Both guys are running quarterbacks with strong arms, neither are good at West Coast offense type throws, neither are good at processing information quickly. I'll grant there are differences: Losman was better at long bombs to Lee Evans than Tyrod would have been; Tyrod is better at avoiding turnovers than Losman. But those two quarterbacks were broadly similar.

Losman and Tyrod fell between two stools. Neither was good enough at passing to appeal to an offensive coordinator who wanted a traditional pocket passer. While both QBs were fast, neither was as fast as Lamar Jackson. A guy like Greg Roman is never going to choose Losman-type speed or Tyrod-type speed if he can get Lamar Jackson-type speed. 

20 hours ago, jkeerie said:

As George Bernard Shaw said:  "Those who can do, those who cannot teach."

People like to quote that as if it were a scientific fact. I'd like to see any one of them survive a year in front of a classroom.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Wrong you are.

Not really .   That was a cringe worthy interview.  Just from those few seconds you  could  see that JP was someone who may be a nice guy but just wasn't the most cerebral of QBs.  And unfortunately,  thats what JP was.   He had great physical tools .  But mentally wasn't there.  I recall rumors that when he was with the Bills he shunned studying film while other guys like Edwards and Hamdan were always watching .  In my mind , that is a big reason why he washed out.  Football is not just about your physical gifts.     The Fairburn article seems to say he has embraced studying the game now.  So maybe he's learned his lesson.   But lets temper some things here as well...   "Offensive analyst"  is not exactly a high level coaching position .    I would expect someone who played QB who had a talent for coaching would at the very least come in as a position coach.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, chongli said:

Reminds me of a good adage: "you haven't taught until the student has learned".

Yeah, in 2005, in anticipation of a glorious Bills season, I subscribed to Sunday Ticket for the first time ever, and got DirecTV instead of cable. The Bills started 1-0, but it was all downhill after that. I never subscribed to Sunday Ticket again, lol.

I can't believe I typed 2015 instead of 2005.  Senior moment.  I went back & edited my OP.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

JP had all the tools and none of coaching or development needed to hone it.  I’ve often wondered if he could have had a much better career had he been drafted somewhere else. 

Glad to see he is doing so well though

Another one who is ignoring the fact that Sam Wyche was one of the top QB coaches in the league.  He was not past his prime as another poster wrote.  The only time a coach is past his prime is if he doesn't keep up with changes in the league & Wyche was an innovator not a dinosaur. 

The people who say he was poorly coached are the ones past their prime.  I thought getting Sam Wyche to coach the QBs was a brilliant move.  He had nothing to work with.  

14 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Another one who is ignoring the fact that Sam Wyche was one of the top QB coaches in the league.  He was not past his prime as another poster wrote.  The only time a coach is past his prime is if he doesn't keep up with changes in the league & Wyche was an innovator not a dinosaur. 

The people who say he was poorly coached are the ones past their prime.  I thought getting Sam Wyche to coach the QBs was a brilliant move.  He had nothing to work with.  

Sam Wyche's alarm clock did not work with Drew Bledsoe. :thumbdown: Like you said though, he had nothing to work with.

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Valid points, Sam Wyche an innovator with the Bengals in the 80’s, but that was twenty years before his time with the Bills. I’m not convinced he was still an innovator in the 2000’s. Wyche was out of football from 95-04, before joining the Bills staff. There was no consistent success from Wyche to prove he wasn’t a dinosaur by the time he joined us. Once an innovator, doesn’t mean forever an innovator. 

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

People like to quote that as if it were a scientific fact. I'd like to see any one of them survive a year in front of a classroom.

I don't look at it as a commentary on teaching per se.  It's more of an observation that for some, they may have knowledge and understanding of something...but are unsuccessful doing it themselves.  In this case making Losman perhaps a better teacher of QBs than being a QB himself.  A corallary is that they teach those who can.  I admire Losman for pursuing the sport in a way he can successfully contribute.

7 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Valid points, Sam Wyche an innovator with the Bengals in the 80’s, but that was twenty years before his time with the Bills. I’m not convinced he was still an innovator in the 2000’s. Wyche was out of football from 95-04, before joining the Bills staff. There was no consistent success from Wyche to prove he wasn’t a dinosaur by the time he joined us. Once an innovator, doesn’t mean forever an innovator. 

Not really sure the QB coach needs to be an innovator. That's the offensive coordinator's job. The QB coach does need to understand the game of football and the QB position. Also he needs to be a very good teacher. Sam Wyche had a very strong reputation in both those areas.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Not really sure the QB coach needs to be an innovator. That's the offensive coordinator's job. The QB coach does need to understand the game of football and the QB position. Also he needs to be a very good teacher. Sam Wyche had a very strong reputation in both those areas.

I agree, I’m just addressing the idea that Wyche was an innovator, and some type of great addition to our coaching staff. I’m not convinced that Wyche was up to date on the game in 2004. He was out of the NFL for almost a decade. I don’t know if there’s a back story to Wyche joining us, but on the surface it doesn’t seem like he was in demand. He was a Super Bowl head coach who joined a disastrous franchise as just a QB coach. I’m not sure how highly he was thought of by teams in 2004. I do recall him having some major health issue, and possibly couldn’t have handled a greater position in 2004, but Wyche just seemed like a random guy to pull out in 2004.

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I really liked JP and wanted him to succeed.  Loved the way he embraced Buffalo.

We all know that the organization was a mess...he wasn't in the best situation, but as I recall, he really never came up big when he had his chances, save the Houston game.  He was just too erratic.  Sure, you can blame the offensive line (to be honest, I barely remember the details of those seasons anymore, it is all a blur of mediocrity), but good QB's have a way of overcoming those things. QB's on bad teams will always have to overcome things like bad line play, and O-line struggles.  If he is good, his play helps them overcome those things...coaches don't get fired, there is stability.  

JP had some nice moments, but he played like he had the proverbial "bumble bee" in his helmet all too often.  He may have been a decent QB under better circumstances, but I think, in the end, he really wasn't any better, or treated any worse than EJ Manuel was.  

12 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Josh was not great in college nor his first season but its clear that he had "it". Not saying its always coaching some guys just are no good, but like i said Allen doesnt succeed for the jets.

21 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Thanks @cage, I just signed up based in no small part on your detailed recommendation, looks like the deal for $1/month vs 7.99/month was enough to reel me in this time 😁

np.... as you're probably still tooling around the site and with just a few days before the draft.  Here is Dana Brugler's complete NFL draft guide ranking every player available and then some.  This alone makes the subscription worth it!

https://theathletic.com/2499821/2021/04/18/2021-nfl-draft-guide-636-prospects-ranked-415-scouting-reports-from-dane-brugler-the-beast-is-here/

Edited by cage
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Not really .   That was a cringe worthy interview.  Just from those few seconds you  could  see that JP was someone who may be a nice guy but just wasn't the most cerebral of QBs.  And unfortunately,  thats what JP was.   He had great physical tools .  But mentally wasn't there.  I recall rumors that when he was with the Bills he shunned studying film while other guys like Edwards and Hamdan were always watching .  In my mind , that is a big reason why he washed out.  Football is not just about your physical gifts.     The Fairburn article seems to say he has embraced studying the game now.  So maybe he's learned his lesson.   But lets temper some things here as well...   "Offensive analyst"  is not exactly a high level coaching position .    I would expect someone who played QB who had a talent for coaching would at the very least come in as a position coach.

Um ... I think you’re not getting the joke??

JP was not a good QB but seemed to be a decent guy who gave it his best.   His bombs to Lee Evans and Parrish were exciting to watch, but he could never really develop a short passing game anywhere near good enough to be a successful NFL starter.   I always thought that if you combined Losmans deep passing, Edwards short passing and Fitz's determination and hustle that you could have had a franchise QB. 

Glad to see that he has made a career in the coaching field and hope that he does well.    Stories like this are a good lesson that a person can recover and succeed in another field if they have a major failure or set back in their life or career.