Since Watson wants out of Houston, could Watt be far behind?

Draconator

If Watt also requests a trade, I would want the Bills to make a serious push to land him. I know his best years are behind him, but his leadership would be invaluable, and would lead to an even more cohesive locker room, and I think the guy has a few good games left in him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Watt has a $17.5M cap hit, with no dead cap if they release or trade, and he is in the last year of his deal this coming season. I'd say he's as good as gone. 

Edited by H2o

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

If Watt also requests a trade, I would want the Bills to make a serious push to land him. I know his best years are behind him, but his leadership would be invaluable, and would lead to an even more cohesive locker room, and I think the guy has a few good games left in him. 

I've thought for a month that he's going to want out, and Watson bailing will be more motivation.  This is a guy who cares about only one thing - winning, and I'm sure seeing Hopkins traded and now seeing Watson heading out will not make him happy.  

I will repeat again what I said yesterday.  If you listen to McDermott's post-season press conference, at the end, he says something like Buffalo is the best town to play football in, the fans are the best in the NFL, and the Bills are the team where you will play the best football in your life.   It was a message to free agents - if you're good, and if you want to be on a team full of guys who want to be the best versions of themselves, the Bills are the team.  

I'm hoping there's a way for Watt to end up in Buffalo.   He's been playing, I think, about 80-90% of his team's defensive snaps, and in Buffalo he'd play no more than 60%.  At this point in his career, he may see that as a plus (even though he wants to be on the field every play), because at 60% he can reduce the wear and tear and be more likely to play full seasons.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I've thought for a month that he's going to want out, and Watson bailing will be more motivation.  This is a guy who cares about only one thing - winning, and I'm sure seeing Hopkins traded and now seeing Watson heading out will not make him happy.  

I will repeat again what I said yesterday.  If you listen to McDermott's post-season press conference, at the end, he says something like Buffalo is the best town to play football in, the fans are the best in the NFL, and the Bills are the team where you will play the best football in your life.   It was a message to free agents - if you're good, and if you want to be on a team full of guys who want to be the best versions of themselves, the Bills are the team.  

I'm hoping there's a way for Watt to end up in Buffalo.   He's been playing, I think, about 80-90% of his team's defensive snaps, and in Buffalo he'd play no more than 60%.  At this point in his career, he may see that as a plus (even though he wants to be on the field every play), because at 60% he can reduce the wear and tear and be more likely to play full seasons.  

He didn't have a great season (5 sacks), but he had 14 tackles for loss (a lot) and a pick six. He'd certainly be an upgrade. He also played WAY too many snaps last season -- well over 90 percent. That seems counterproductive to me. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If you go back and follow the entire BOB saga, Watt has been unhappy far longer than Watson. He was the guy that tried to fight BOB at practice and got him fired.

The difference is that he is older and going into last year of contract, so he hasnt been so vocal, since he knows he'll probably be cut anyways.

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Watt has a $17.5 cap hit, with no dead cap if they release or trade, and he is in the last year of his deal this coming season. I'd say he's as good as gone. 

He is clearly heading to Buffalo where he will play for less Watt age ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

My money is on him going to New Orleans to play for some Mardi Gras beads and a bowl of gumbo. 

• Vomit 1

14 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Watt would be a horrible candidate for a trade IMHO.  The lose/lose situation is to trade picks AND have to pay a high salary for a guy who has played 2 full seasons in the last 4, and looked OK in the most recent.

I think he's likely to be a cap casualty for Houston.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Watt would be a horrible candidate for a trade IMHO.  The lose/lose situation is to trade picks AND have to pay a high salary for a guy who has played 2 full seasons in the last 4, and looked OK in the most recent.

I wasn't aware of his cap number. That's why I appreciate this board. The knowledge here is unparalleled. If he's cut which is the most likely scenario, I would want Buffalo to go hard after him. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Would be the highest cap hit on the team next year.  2 years ago he was first team all-pro - but at this point he's probably more a candidate for something like calais campbell.  2 years 12-14 million.  

27 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

That was a powerful post. Do you deliver a Joule like that every second? 😉

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Lol at “cares only about winning” unless you’re talking about winning the award for most self promotional.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Agree 1

Did you know that Watt came back from injury way before anyone thought he could in 2019???

Ugh.  I would hate to have this guy on the Bills because there's nothing worse than watching a game when Watt is playing.  You hear his name about 5 times/minute all game long.

I hope someone else overpays him for those 5 sacks.

• Vomit 1

Pittsburgh makes the most sense for him. 
I don’t personally want him on buffalos team. Not with the salary he’ll get in free agency or his current final year of his deal. Odds have to be pretty high you won’t get 10 games out of him. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Most of our STARTERS arent even the answer.

That’s why we badly need help. The starters and backups aren’t getting it done and obviously another year of mileage on guys like Hughes and Addison isn’t good.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Pittsburgh makes the most sense for him. 
I don’t personally want him on buffalos team. Not with the salary he’ll get in free agency or his current final year of his deal. Odds have to be pretty high you won’t get 10 games out of him. 

Oh god, please no. One Watt (Derek doesn't really count) is enough slobbering for me. JJ and TJ on the same team? Damn, that would be insufferable.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Only way I would trade for him, is a late round pick and a renegotiation to lower that cap hit...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

Lol it’s literally collinsworths sexiest dream come true 

You don't know how happy I am that, unlike the Bosas and Watts, there aren't the Donalds. I can not watch a Rams game with Collinsworth calling it.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Did you know that Watt came back from injury way before anyone thought he could in 2019???

Ugh.  I would hate to have this guy on the Bills because there's nothing worse than watching a game when Watt is playing.  You hear his name about 5 times/minute all game long.

I hope someone else overpays him for those 5 sacks.

I don't disagree, but 14 TFLs is a lot. He finished 6th in the league in that category. 

• Like (+1) 1

Oh I think he's a no-brainer if he gets released and wants to come here for rotational DE money.

Dude had 29 pressures last year, make no mistake that is what this defense does.

For reference; Mack had 31, L.Floyd 30, C Jordan 26 and F Clark 25. Not bad company. More than our leading guy Hughes. Sign me up for him as a rotational guy. He'll be better with less snaps on 2nd-3rd downs too.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

That’s why we badly need help. The starters and backups aren’t getting it done and obviously another year of mileage on guys like Hughes and Addison isn’t good.

It means nothing now, but that's why I was banging the drum so hard last March for Beane to:

1. Re-sign JPhillips and Lawson

2. Trade 2 2nds for Yannick Ngakoue

Lot of swagger and youth there. And between what we paid Addison, Butler, Jefferson, and Murphy, we could have found the cash to pay those guys. And looking at their production this year vs Ngakoue who had a down season and still had 8 sacks and 11 TFLs, it would have been worth it.

Oh well.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

ESPN has Addison at 8 TFLs (but just regular season, maybe postseason makes the difference?)

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It means nothing now, but that's why I was banging the drum so hard last March for Beane to:

1. Re-sign JPhillips and Lawson

2. Trade 2 2nds for Yannick Ngakoue

Lot of swagger and youth there. And between what we paid Addison, Butler, Jefferson, and Murphy, we could have found the cash to pay those guys. And looking at their production this year vs Ngakoue who had a down season and still had 8 sacks and 11 TFLs, it would have been worth it.

Oh well.

ESPN has Addison at 8 TFLs (but just regular season, maybe postseason makes the difference?)

Don't know. It's one of those "in the eye of the beholder" stats like pressures, but it shouldn't be -- it's pretty clear cut.