Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

Just now, dave mcbride said:

It was a package deal. They blamed Peters for being overweight, they blamed him for JP getting sacked vs the Jets, they blamed him for holding out, they blamed him for not liking the fact that the Bills gave him a RT contract and then immediately moving him to LT, etc. etc. I lived through it.

Oh I remember it all as well. But maybe I'm just letting my own opinions cloud my board memories.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JoshAllenReceipts said:

If Darnold and Mahomes swapped teams, Darnold would be better! Look how much better the team is around Mahomes!"

^^^This is essentially what you are arguing.

Yes, IMO Darnold would appear to be a better Quarterback if he was with the Chiefs and I doubt Mahomes would look quite so good if he was with the Jets.

Just now, JoshAllenReceipts said:

If Darnold and Mahomes swapped teams, Darnold would be better! Look how much better the team is around Mahomes!"

^^^This is essentially what you are arguing.

To be fair, not so long ago you were arguing that Allen is better than Mahomes. He's not (it's not even debatable, actually, so people shouldn't try), but that's OK. He's still a great player.  

16 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

I'm cherrypicking the most important stats, u mean?

The name of the game is to score Touchdowns. 

Allen scored 10 more Touchdowns.

The MVP this year, Aaron Rodgers, led the NFL in Touchdowns. So I would say it's a pretty important stat.

Seriously, so to change the topic,  as a Bills fan. Who is better.  Aaron Donald or Ed Oliver?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

How so?

Watson to the Niners is an awful fit.

Kyle Shanahan is looking for an elite game manager type to operate his run-first scheme. Make quick reads, quick decisions, get rid of the ball quickly.

That is the opposite of Watson's game.

Watson is a freelancer who likes to hold onto the football and play out of structure, and look for the deep ball.

Niners with Watson < Niners with Jimmy G. Jimmy G is a much much better fit for that scheme than Watson.

There isn't a Head Coach in the NFL that wouldn't take an elite passing QB.  You are making a claim no GM will Watson over Allen (lol) but are now saying that you know what type of QB Shanahan wants?  He must have been pissed off at Matt Ryan for throwing so many TD's in 2017.....he wanted to run it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

40 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

I'm cherrypicking the most important stats, u mean?

The name of the game is to score Touchdowns. 

Allen scored 10 more Touchdowns.

The MVP this year, Aaron Rodgers, led the NFL in Touchdowns. So I would say it's a pretty important stat.

Well if we are going to cherry pick stats.....

Russell Wilson > Patrick Mahomes because Russell Wilson had more TD's this year.  It's been settled.

• Dislike 1

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Houston's dysfunctional ownership continues to screw up the league, and it disproportionately affects Buffalo.  To recap:

1)  Trades 2 #1st to Miami for Tunsil, giving the Dolphins a top-five pick; Tunsil wasn't extended in advance, giving players in a similar position additional negotiating leverage.

2) Trades Hopkins for peanuts; Hopkins single-handedly beats Buffalo in 2020

3) Hires David Culley instead of Leslie Frazier, giving extra draft capital to the best GM in football

4) Likely trades a top-five QB in his prime to the AFC East

Don’t forget the whole Gaine situation which made O’Brien the GM in the first place

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Tone down the self-satisfaction here. You don't KNOW anything you're stating in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines of this post. You just don't. 

I'd like to agree with you, but I'm not 100% certain Allen is superior to Watson yet. Deshaun Watson is effing awesome. 

I've got no problem standing up for our QB. I wouldn't trade Josh Allen for the world. The mans perfect for Buffalo. Buffalo's perfect for the man. Comparing stats and wins relative to the teams they play for by way of argument is where I take issue. I'm fairly certain Watson would perform well in the Daboll O. I can also see Watson taking the Bills into the playoffs and winning a couple games. So for me we are looking at two elite, or borderline elite QB's. Deshaun Watson is one smooth operator behind center IMO. 

I think something everyone needs to remember though in comparison to any QB in the history of the NFL.  Josh Allens arm strength. Allens arm strength gives him the ability to make throws no other QB can make. Something by the way Watson pales in comparison.

This thread is more about Deshaun Watson. For the sake of argument.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

Can we all agree that setting Watson aside the Texans still had more talent on their roster then the Jets and probably about the same talent on their roster as the Pats?  Yet Watson QBed them to a 4 - 12 season.  Considering what a team will have to give up and the CAP hit of signing Watson he may not have as many suitors as people think.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The last place I'd like to see him go to...NE.

The Jets, they'll screw it up somehow...

He would be a threat in Miami, but they'll screw it up after awhile. 

The last place he'll go to is the Cheaters.  His dissatisfaction appears to be over all the Cheaters they've been hiring over the years.

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He can void a deal to Detroit because of his no-trade clause. I don't know why people get upset about this stuff. He's gone, and it's in the best interest for everyone if he's traded. The Texans need a new start, and they can get a boatload for him. 

Then why call them contracts at all? 

The drama is tiring with some of these players. The dude just agreed and signed to a 4yr 156mill $ contract. Great new start for the Texans in search to replace a top 5 Franchise QB in the NFL.

8 hours ago, dneveu said:

So Tua gives you the extra 2 years of control... but Darnold has typically done some more impressive stuff on the football team.  Either one is coming with pick #2 or #3.  And considering the 20M you have to eat in cap space, i'd ask for more.  I'd start the bidding with 3 1sts and a QB.  

Would the Texans want Tua?

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I admire our GM, Brandon Beane, who points out that to improve, we need to be scrupulously honest with ourselves in evaluating our team and its players.

I don't think being a Bills Fan means I have to be a blind Homer who can't acknowledge when a player on another team might be better than ours. 

I think Allen may evolve to be better than Watson, and that people with an eyeball scouting bent could construct an argument that Allen was better this year.  But Watson has been a top QB in the league for 3 years now.  The demonstrated ability to sustain success as a QB also has value, especially after Watson proved he could get it done without his top weapon De'Andre Hopkins.

Watson led the league in passing yards this season.  He had a higher completion % than Allen.  He had a better TD/INT ratio, 4.7 vs 3.7.  He had a higher YPA.  He had a higher passer rating.  He had a higher NY/A and ANY/A even despite all the sacks he took.  He played his ass off this season.

To assert Allen is better because he has a higher total QBR and threw more TDs while ignoring all these other statistics is either farcical or trolling.

To be fair Watson was throwing against prevent defenses a lot more then Allen.  I suspect that at least a quarter of his stats were generated in that way.

While Watson has been better then Allen over the last 3 years I'm one of those who think that RIGHT NOW Allen is better then Watson.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

Can we all agree that setting Watson aside the Texans still had more talent on their roster then the Jets and probably about the same talent on their roster as the Pats?  Yet Watson QBed them to a 4 - 12 season.  Considering what a team will have to give up and the CAP hit of signing Watson he may not have as many suitors as people think.

These are the posts I expect when he ends up in Miami.

"They're not that good." 

Uh huh.  

They're absolutely favorites to win the AFC East and will be a one of the 3 most predicted teams to go to the SB out of the AFC.  

Let this all sink in for a minute....

Miami will use the pieces they got from a team to get a franchise QB for a decade......from that same freaking team.    

Houston needs to reject this just on principle.

But they won't.  They're awful and have zero leverage.  

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

"They're not that good." 

Uh huh.  

They're absolutely favorites to win the AFC East and will be a one of the 3 most predicted teams to go to the SB out of the AFC.  

Miami will use the pieces they got from a team to get a franchise QB for a decade......from that same freaking team.    

No, they are not “absolutely” the favorites to win the AFCE.  

They would be good though.  

I do expect to see some chicken little posts like the one you posited however. 

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

"They're not that good." 

Uh huh.  

First off I don't care who is labeled the favorite in the East or the AFC in the preseason.  It has no real impact on how things actually turn out.

Second, I believe that the idea that Watson going to Miami turns then into a Super Bowl contender is premature.  Sure he would be an immediate upgrade at QB but there would be other ripple effects in the Dolphin organization.   I happen to believe that Miami overachieved in winning 10 games this season.  Watson could arrive, significantly improve their QBing and they still only win 10 games next year.

I agree with you that the NFL needs to squash this.  Unless folks think the NFL would be better served mimicking the NBA Watson signed a contract, a good one, and he should be held to it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

No, they are not “absolutely” the favorites to win the AFCE.  

They would be good though.  

I do expect to see some chicken little posts like the one you posited however. 

This isn't chicken little it's freaking facts.  They won 10 games with hot garbage at QB and changed it up in games.  

It's a better roster top to bottom.  Going into year 2 with each other. 

This is no longer 2020.  It's a brand new season.  

After 20 years of dealing with Brady, we get one whole year of the other 3 teams with trash at QB (we won all 6 games).  Now it might realistically have Watson Stafford and who knows what the Jets could end up with at 2.  Nice.  

I'm also assuming they will be trading for Michael Thomas (you'll see...that team is ready to implode and he is going to want out when Hill is clearly the guy).  

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

This isn't chicken little it's freaking facts.  They won 10 games with hot garbage at QB and changed it up in games.  

After 20 years of dealing with Brady, we get one whole year of the other 3 teams with trash at QB (we won all 6 games).  Now it might realistically have Watson Stafford and who knows what the Jets could end up with at 2.  Nice.  

I'm also assuming they will be trading for Michael Thomas (you'll see...that team is ready to implode and he is going to want out when Hill is clearly the guy).  

It’s literally not facts.  It’s your opinion. 

Is it a better roster?  I didn’t realize we had already finished Free Agency and the Draft. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

And obviously Beane might work some magic to help solidify us as the better team top to bottom.  

Buy if they get Watson, as of this moment assuming Milano may leave, it's them.  Because one franchise is a dumpster fire.  And it's infuriating.  

The areas we are clearly better is WR and Safety.   QB will essentially be a wash.  

And that's all I got.  

Edited by Big Blitz

I was under the impression that Watson initially wanted out of Houston after the McNair's did not interview a black GM for the position.  Now they have a black head  coach who by all accounts is a good man and deserving of the opportunity then Watson officially states he wants to be traded?  Am I misinformed? 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

I was under the impression that Watson initially wanted out of Houston after the McNair's did not interview a black GM for the position.  Now they have a black head  coach who by all accounts is a good man and deserving of the opportunity then Watson officially states he wants to be traded?  Am I misinformed? 

Yes

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mr. Wonderful said:

I don't know what to make of the minority issue with Watson.  That alone is infuriating especially since they did hire a minority HC.

I think this started with the Hopkins trade.  To appease him they told this 25 year old QB/Front Office Executive/Punk that he will have a say in the next GM after BOB canned. 

He didn't.  And he was done.  Felt "betrayed."   

6 minutes ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

Watson and Texans Ownership both come off really poorly in this..

Its frowned upon to criticize Watson though.. sports media has declared it so. 

He wants out because he feels they misled him when they told him they’d ask for his input in certain decisions. ..or so he says. (And they apparently did mislead him)

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

Yes, wildly misinformed. It has nothing to do with race.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I wouldn’t call Miami’s QB situation in 2020 “hot garbage”.   Fitzmagic was very good, and Tua was a decent if uninspiring game manager.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, wildly misinformed. It has nothing to do with race.

Found it on Twitter:

Per Chris Mortensen:

"Reports about Deshaun Watson's unhappiness with @HoustonTexans are accurate and sources close to the QB say he is still angry about team's insensitivity to social justice, including hiring practices, after the franchise failed to interview Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy this past week."

29 minutes ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

Found it on Twitter:

Per Chris Mortensen:

"Reports about Deshaun Watson's unhappiness with @HoustonTexans are accurate and sources close to the QB say he is still angry about team's insensitivity to social justice, including hiring practices, after the franchise failed to interview Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy this past week."

I think he got so much blowback from that Watson walked a few things back.  

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

"They're not that good." 

Uh huh.  

“I want my picks back, and I want David ***** Putney, just because I feel like it.”

-Texans, probably

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree with you that the NFL needs to squash this.  Unless folks think the NFL would be better served mimicking the NBA Watson signed a contract, a good one, and he should be held to it. 

The NFL needs to stay completely out of it. No reason why the player and team can't sort this out. 

There are three options here. All perfectly acceptable. 

Texans don't trade him and Watson plays out his contract.

Texans don't trade him and Wastons sits out.

Texans trade Watson.

My money would be on Watson playing out his contract if the Texans don't cave. He could sit out but he'd be the first to do so at that position that I can recall. Palmer did it with the Bengals but that situation was a little different.

1 hour ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

Yes, misinformed. Watson was a booster of Saleh.

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The NFL needs to stay completely out of it. No reason why the player and team can't sort this out. 

There are three options here. All perfectly acceptable. 

Texans don't trade him and Watson plays out his contract.

Texans don't trade him and Wastons sits out.

Texans trade Watson.

My money would be on Watson playing out his contract if the Texans don't cave. He could sit out but he'd be the first to do so at that position that I can recall. Palmer did it with the Bengals but that situation was a little different.

Actually, the Palmer situation is very similar, and it worked out great for Palmer, who had a late career renaissance after escaping from the tire fire that is the Bengals. My money is on Watson never playing a down for Houston again. People don’t realize how much value guys like watson place on winning.

• Like (+1) 1