Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

16 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

There is no great answer here. Forcing a malcontent to play won’t yield good locker room. If he sits out, maybe just postponing the inevitable. If you don’t try to trade for assets, which he could garner a windfall than you’ve squandered that opportunity too. 

Again, I don't disagree. I hold both accountable here. Sad situation.

9 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I'd just also like to add, Watson is a real piece of work I'm glad we didn't draft.  

Don't like your front office?  You're a UFA in 3 years.  You just signed a deal.  

Garbage.  Complete garbage.  

All right, take it easy. You'll be okay no matter what happens with the QB in Houston.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, FireChans said:

No. 

Jimmy G’s contract was a classic case of everyone getting ahead of themselves that he was being overpaid and overrated. They locked him up for 3 seasons with an easy out.

The 49ers can cut him this offseason and save $23M in space.

Now I see -- the bonus number is small. Thanks. I was looking at the wrong column. https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2018/02/10/breaking-down-the-details-of-jimmy-garoppolos-record-deal/?sh=442efc3c785a 

I'd trade for him in a second if we didn't have Josh, but does anyone know how he has done in colder climate games?

He's born and raised in Georgia.  Played college ball in South Carolina.  Played half his games indoors for Houston, with divisional games being at Jacksonville, Tennessee and indoors again for Indianapolis.  

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I get that but the Texans have very little on that roster. If I get #2 or #3 I am picking one of those 3 QBs that are not Lawrence and then maximising my capital to try and put stuff around him. So basically I want picks instead of Tua or Darnold. If my QB gets hurt? Well I will just be like most NFL franchises when their QB goes down.

I agree here. The value proposition on Watson is that he's probably worth five or six first-round picks and then some if elite defensive players and elite receivers are going for two. 

If Houston decides to move Watson it means they're blowing it up and with the trade request coming in they can make that decision if they want. The important thing is that they get full value in return, and in that sense the only currency that they should really want is draft picks so they can build up a young roster and keep cap space free.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No. 

Jimmy G’s contract was a classic case of everyone getting ahead of themselves that he was being overpaid and overrated. They locked him up for 3 seasons with an easy out.

The 49ers can cut him this offseason and save $23M in space.

Gainesville, Georgia! 

you had it right.

I spent a night in Gainesville Georgia about 7 months ago, nice little town but the drive from the Atlanta airport was pure hell.

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Washington wants him too.  But they are listed as having only the 6th or 7th best deal in the Watson sweepstakes... and they aren't parting with Chase Young or Terry McClauren.

That is ridiculous on their part.  

I'd trade both of them and their first round pick for Watson.  

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is reportedly going to cost between three and four first round picks to be done. I think Miami is going to get him.

I have always said that.

Tua is a man of faith (big plus for the brain dead Texan ownership) and provides "some cover" for the fans as he supposedly has great potential although I think he wil be a mediocre quarterback at best.  Miami has plenty of draft capital (ironically thanks top the Texans), Watson gets to go to tax free Florida and play for an upcoming AA HC.  Everybody wins in an otherwise terrible situation for the Texans.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Let me introduce everyone to Jalen Ramsey. If he can force a trade, Watson surely can. 

Watson can force a trade...there wil be a long, long off season and the Texans will cave, write that down and say Roy Batty said so.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

I have always said that.

Tua is a man of faith (big plus for the brain dead Texan ownership) and provides "some cover" for the fans as he supposedly has great potential although I think he wil be a mediocre quarterback at best.  Miami has plenty of draft capital (ironically thanks top the Texans), Watson gets to go to tax free Florida and play for an upcoming AA HC.  Everybody wins in an otherwise terrible situation for the Texans.

This makes sense, but the Jets have a ton of ammo too, and I personally prefer Darnold to Tua. But the Texans might feel otherwise.