Jordan Palmer on OBL says Allen has no ceiling and is most-gifted QB ever

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed. 

A QB with JUST his drive, will, and intelligence would likely be successful in this league. 

A QB with all of that PLUS his elite physical gifts? The ceiling is sky high. Or, as Dion Dawkins says, there IS no ceiling!

Allen is a FrankenQB

He grew up on a farm, nobody works harder than a kid who grows up on a farm.  McBeane gave him a really high class set of tools, Diggs, Brown, Beasley, McKenzie, running back twins, Need a #1 tight end and we are the new Pats.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

He grew up on a farm, nobody works harder than a kid who grows up on a farm.  McBeane gave him a really high class set of tools, Diggs, Brown, Beasley, McKenzie, running back twins, Need a #1 tight end and we are the new Pats.

If either Dawson Knox can step up (he's made some big plays the past few weeks) or they can nab a playmaking tight end in the draft....yikes.

I was also thinking I'd like to see a true weapon at the H-Back position. Gilliam is filled in capably, but has looked like Just A Guy. If they could actually get a playmaker at the position -- a Kyle Juszczyk type -- as an outlet and moving chess piece for Allen, that would be gravy. Heck, if they DO add a more traditional in-line tight end this offseason, Knox could slide into that "move tight end" role.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

If either Dawson Knox can step up (he's made some big plays the past few weeks) or they can nab a playmaking tight end in the draft....yikes.

I was also thinking I'd like to see a true weapon at the H-Back position. Gilliam is filled in capably, but has looked like Just A Guy. If they could actually get a playmaker at the position -- a Kyle Juszczyk type -- as an outlet and moving chess piece for Allen, that would be gravy. Heck, if they DO add a more traditional in-line tight end this offseason, Knox could slide into that "move tight end" role.

We tried to sign Juszcyzk in 2017 but he chose SF and we signed DiMarco instead. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if we targeted him again. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/buffalo-bills-nfl-free-agency-2017/2017/3/8/14854070/buffalo-bills-baltimore-ravens-fb-kyle-juszczyk-2017-nfl-free-agency

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Good thoughts here.  But on closer exam, Lee Smith has made several key catches and is big enough to block any lineman.  If Knox can catch, we are good, if not, go for a Kelce type.

3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I think Darnold could STILL be good. He and Rosen had terrible situations and pure bad luck. Darnold doesn't have Allen or Jackson's physical gifts but I think under the right conditions he could be as good as Mayfield and be a decent starter for years to come. At worst, a very good back-up. 

I've watched every Jets game this season. Darnold is never going to be a starter in the NFL. 

I love Josh Allen.  The sky is the limit but really??? John Elway is the most physically gifted QB ever.  Mike Vick was pretty good.  Aaron Rogers, Patrick Mahomes.  Don't get too crazy now.  Allen is great but the most gifted ever?  I think not.

8 minutes ago, Big Curt said:

I love Josh Allen.  The sky is the limit but really??? John Elway is the most physically gifted QB ever.  Mike Vick was pretty good.  Aaron Rogers, Patrick Mahomes.  Don't get too crazy now.  Allen is great but the most gifted ever?  I think not.

He's taller and bigger than all of them.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Big Curt said:

Agree with this. I'd actually put Randall Cunningham above any of those guys (and Josh) in terms of physically gifted. 

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

I've watched every Jets game this season. Darnold is never going to be a starter in the NFL. 

"Allen is never going to be a good QB"

"Never", huh? Haven't we learned anything? In all those Jets games, if they had only had another QB everything would have been a lot better? Or perhaps there were other variables?

If he's released, there are probably 10 teams that would snap up Darnold to compete for a starting job; and another 10 that would have him for #2.  

42 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

"Allen is never going to be a good QB"

"Never", huh? Haven't we learned anything? In all those Jets games, if they had only had another QB everything would have been a lot better? Or perhaps there were other variables?

If he's released, there are probably 10 teams that would snap up Darnold to compete for a starting job; and another 10 that would have him for #2.  

I did not say that about Allen. Where di you see me say that? You're very confused. 

Also, Flacco performed better with the same players. Joe Flacco. Yes, that Flacco. 

Let's make a bet. Sam Darnold becomes a top ten 15 QB next season, I'll never post again. He doesn't...you never post again. Put your money where your mouth is.. something you feel comfortable with not having watched him play?

I also think Randall Cunningham belongs near the top of the list along with Elway. Randall was an incredible athlete but in that era, Buddy Ryan wanted to use him as a running QB. Josh has a better developed arm talent but this is the era of passing offense. If you are too young to remember Cunningham, look up some video highlights of him. Hard to say who was most athletic but I don’t think anyone has been measurably more athletic than Josh considering arm talent, size and legs. 

2 hours ago, Big Curt said:

Nope. Elway played his whole career with a torn ACL. He injured it in high school and the doctor declared the knee “stable”. That’s the reason why Elway skipped all the combines; he didn’t want drop in the draft. 

7 hours ago, The Wiz said:

He also said that Darnold would get a drill right one time and then stop working on it and Allen would work on the same drill for 15-20 more snaps after he got it right.  I believe this was during an interview on Cowherd or Eisen last season that he said it.

Got a link to this? Would be interested to see the entire interview

I agree w/ him.  I said about a month ago that I wouldn't trade Allen for Mahomes, and I feel even more strongly about that today.

Certainly no knock on Mahomes - he's awesome. But Allen is the whole deal.  He has literally every skill and intangible you could want in a franchise QB.  

And he is 24.  It gives me a lot of hope that the Bills could be in for a long run.  This year doesn't feel like one of those one-off kinds of things, where we have to win now or miss our window. They can build around JA for years.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Domitian said:

Names of some guys who Palmer has coached 1 on 1 in addition to Allen:

Mahomes

Goff

Burrows

Darnold

Watson

this says a lot doesn't it?

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

He also said Darnold was really good so uhh...

he was really good.. that coaching staff RUINED him

But he never made same type of claims about Darnold or Mahomes or anyone else.. He has called Mahomes special... elite.. amazing.. gifted.. never most gifted ever to play the game

Edited by PrimeTime101

7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I did not say that about Allen. Where di you see me say that? You're very confused. 

Also, Flacco performed better with the same players. Joe Flacco. Yes, that Flacco. 

Let's make a bet. Sam Darnold becomes a top ten 15 QB next season, I'll never post again. He doesn't...you never post again. Put your money where your mouth is.. something you feel comfortable with not having watched him play?

Jeez, Dude, YOU said Darnold will “never” be a starting QB. A great deal of fans and analysts said the same about Allen. Absolute statements are straight up ignorant, and saying Darnold, the consensus “safest” QB draftee placed in a horrible situation could “never” be a starting QB is just ludicrous (as are internet “bets” - what are you, 12?)

9 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Got a link to this? Would be interested to see the entire interview

I can try to find it. Like I said, it was from last season when both qbs were trending in opposite directions so was probably later in the season. 

EDIT:  I'm still looking for it but having a hard time remembering where the interview was from.  I will clarify this though, it really wasn't a knock on Darnold as much as it was a praise to Allen's work ethic.  I'm pretty sure he made the comment about the other QBs as well(not specifically Darnold) how they would complete a drill but was more pointing out how Josh would just keep running it until it felt like he had it down.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Big Curt said:

stop...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Andy1 said:

I also think Randall Cunningham belongs near the top of the list along with Elway. Randall was an incredible athlete but in that era, Buddy Ryan wanted to use him as a running QB. Josh has a better developed arm talent but this is the era of passing offense. If you are too young to remember Cunningham, look up some video highlights of him. Hard to say who was most athletic but I don’t think anyone has been measurably more athletic than Josh considering arm talent, size and legs. 

Yeah I think a lot of the posters don't know Cunningham from his pre-ACL injury Eagles days.  I suspect Allen has a stronger arm and is a bigger but Cunningham was like a larger, faster, stronger armed Michael Vick. Just electric. Could break off an 80 yard run or an 80 yard bomb at any time. Extremely difficult to bring down. Heck, he had a 91 yard punt against the Giants once!  Hard to compare stats as the eras were so different. I am just going off the tape and my memory. Stuff like Allen jumping over Barr was done almost every game by Cunningham. Of course ultimately that leads to injuries which is what happened and why we want Allen to do LESS of that please! 

17 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Palmer said Allen has a lot of things to work on still over the off-season and hasn't nearly reached his potential. Says he is the most gifted player we've had at the position.

"We were able to solve for some things...the really exciting thing is (that) some of the things that we found out really won't be addressed until this off-season."

"There's a ways to go...we're not even close to the ceiling."

"I don't think there's a ceiling. I think Josh is physically the most gifted athlete we've had play this position in the NFL."

😍😍

Great, now we’re looking at $45-50M per year.

3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Jeez, Dude, YOU said Darnold will “never” be a starting QB. A great deal of fans and analysts said the same about Allen. Absolute statements are straight up ignorant, and saying Darnold, the consensus “safest” QB draftee placed in a horrible situation could “never” be a starting QB is just ludicrous (as are internet “bets” - what are you, 12?)

So you have no conviction in your assertion that Darnold is going to go on to take the league by storm. That's sad. When it's put to you to stand behind your words, you wilt. 

18 hours ago, The Wiz said:

He also said that Darnold would get a drill right one time and then stop working on it and Allen would work on the same drill for 15-20 more snaps after he got it right.  I believe this was during an interview on Cowherd or Eisen last season that he said it.

I find this post interesting.  I am a part time singer/performer and someone once told me that an amatuer will rehearse until they get it right while a professional will rehearse until they can't get it wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

So you have no conviction in your assertion that Darnold is going to go on to take the league by storm. That's sad. When it's put to you to stand behind your words, you wilt. 

You are either a troll or a moron. Below is exactly what I said, which part don't you understand, Sparky?

"I think Darnold could STILL be good. He and Rosen had terrible situations and pure bad luck. Darnold doesn't have Allen or Jackson's physical gifts but I think under the right conditions he could be as good as Mayfield and be a decent starter for years to come. At worst, a very good back-up." 

20 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Palmer said Allen has a lot of things to work on still over the off-season and hasn't nearly reached his potential. Says he is the most gifted player we've had at the position.

"We were able to solve for some things...the really exciting thing is (that) some of the things that we found out really won't be addressed until this off-season."

"There's a ways to go...we're not even close to the ceiling."

"I don't think there's a ceiling. I think Josh is physically the most gifted athlete we've had play this position in the NFL."

😍😍

Wood.

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

You are either a troll or a moron. Below is exactly what I said, which part don't you understand, Sparky?

"I think Darnold could STILL be good. He and Rosen had terrible situations and pure bad luck. Darnold doesn't have Allen or Jackson's physical gifts but I think under the right conditions he could be as good as Mayfield and be a decent starter for years to come. At worst, a very good back-up." 

What exactly about Darnold leads you to believe this? His inability to make pre-snap adjustments? His hearing footsteps as soon as the ball is snapped and worrying more about the guys coming at him over finding wide open receivers? Maybe it's his predilection for turnovers that's carried over from his college days? 

Edited by jeremy2020

20 hours ago, Doc said:

He could be good, but Palmer alludes to the fact that [Darnold] doesn't put enough work in to get there.  I'm sure that goes not only for practice but film study.

Palmer sure didn't allude to it in this video.

Up above somebody said they thought they'd heard this, but there's no link. Frankly, it doesn't sound like something Palmer would say, about Darnold or anybody else.

I didn't go through this whole thread. Did anyone link to it? If not .....

I'm willing to believe it if someone points out where it's said. I'm not saying anyone is lying or anything like that. But people remember stuff wrong all the time. If someone can come up with where Palmer said that, I'd be really interested.

Till then, it seems doubtful to me.

As for Darnold's future, I think he's got a chance to be good. Some guys take longer than others, (Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees among others) and some guys don't get the situation they need until later (Alex Smith and Rich Gannon are the first who spring to my mind). I think he's been in an awful situation, and yet we still see some good things from him, though we certainly see bad things too. That happens in bad situations.

Still a ton to prove, of course. Far from a sure thing. But nobody's saying he's a sure thing, particularly at this point.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Palmer sure didn't allude to it in this video.

Up above somebody said they thought they'd heard this, but there's no link. Frankly, it doesn't sound like something Palmer would say, about Darnold or anybody else.

I didn't go through this whole thread. Did anyone link to it? If not .....

I'm willing to believe it if someone points out where it's said. I'm not saying anyone is lying or anything like that. But people remember stuff wrong all the time. If someone can come up with where Palmer said that, I'd be really interested.

Till then, it seems doubtful to me.

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

As for Darnold's future, I think he's got a chance to be good. Some guys take longer than others, (Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees among others) and some guys don't get the situation they need until later (Alex Smith and Rich Gannon are the first who spring to my mind). I think he's been in an awful situation, and yet we still see some good things from him, though we certainly see bad things too. That happens in bad situations.

Still a ton to prove, of course. Far from a sure thing. But nobody's saying he's a sure thing, particularly at this point.

Yeah he could still be good.  He's got the ability to make every throw.  I think his problem is more mental and that's not what Palmer is working on with these guys. 

13 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

What exactly about Darnold leads you to believe this? His inability to make pre-snap adjustments? His hearing footsteps as soon as the ball is snapped and worrying more about the guys coming at him over finding wide open receivers? Maybe it's his predilection for turnovers that's carried over from his college days? 

The dude had a terrible OL and not one legit WR.  Adam Gase was calling his plays......

He legitimately had zero chance to not suck.  His career is still up In the air.  It’s pretty ignorant to say that he can’t become, at least, a decent starter. 

he can improve with Pre snap adjustments.

he rarely had any wide open WRs.  He should’ve been focused on eluding the rush and hope that the WRs can get open if he survives for 7 seconds.

how about Josh allens turnovers from college and the rookie year?  

He can improve in the right situation.  There is no doubt.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

he rarely had any wide open WRs.  He should’ve been focused on eluding the rush and hope that the WRs can get open if he survives for 7 seconds.

This sounds like someone who has read about Darnold and didn't watch him play.

Flacco performed quite a bit better with the same offense. Explain.

5 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

This sounds like someone who has read about Darnold and didn't watch him play.

Flacco performed quite a bit better with the same offense. Explain.

No.  That sounds like someone that realizes a QBs development isn’t solely reliant on their ability.  

flacco is a veteran QB that better understands the nuances of playing QB in the NFL.  He’s not developing.  He’s a finished product.  He’s played the position for a winning team and a good head coach.  He’s played in a real NFL offense. Darnold only knows what it’s like to play with trash players, trash schemes and trash coaching.  He still hasn’t learned.  Partly in him.  Partly on the situation. 

flacco didn’t win a game. 

We’ll see how Darnold turns out if he goes to a team that isn’t a dumpster fire.