Josh Allen named AFC Offensive Player of the Week and Fed Ex Air POW

YoloinOhio

The accolade is well due and I have all the faith in Josh and this team that such production, in some measure, will continue. That said, these next two games and the playoffs are "supposed to be" one of the reasons Beane et. al. Drafted Josh Allen. The strong arm and big hands to handle the Buffalo weather.

In his 2+ seasons, although especially this one, we've seen Josh perform better in controlled climates, i.e. domes, or in warm weather stadiums. I, along with many others, have been saying it for at least five years now. With the glut of NFL Offenses now the norm and with all the rule changes intended to aid Offenses in scoring and become stricter on Defenses, building a dome for Josh and this Offense to play in for the next 12-15 years only makes more sense. Not to mention the likelihood of getting a Super Bowl in Buffalo. That was a little off the topic, but IMHO - somewhat related because it seems to directly effect Josh's production. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

The accolade is well due and I have all the faith in Josh and this team that such production, in some measure, will continue. That said, these next two games and the playoffs are "supposed to be" one of the reasons Beane et. al. Drafted Josh Allen. The strong arm and big hands to handle the Buffalo weather.

In his 2+ seasons, although especially this one, we've seen Josh perform better in controlled climates, i.e. domes, or in warm weather stadiums. I, along with many others, have been saying it for at least five years now. With the glut of NFL Offenses now the norm and with all the rule changes intended to aid Offenses in scoring and become stricter on Defenses, building a dome for Josh and this Offense to play in for the next 12-15 years only makes more sense. Not to mention the likelihood of getting a Super Bowl in Buffalo. That was a little off the topic, but IMHO - somewhat related because it seems to directly effect Josh's production. 

It was really windy for the Rams game 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Sadly I don't see it being done in time to allow JA to thrive in it......OH SO much $$$ and it isn't in the city of Buffalo that PSA's will sell like wildfire.  That is a tough sell.  Pegs and the city would have to shoulder a HUGE burden for a venue that will sit empty more often than not.  Altho I put nothing past the Peg's and the marketing genius that is Kim.....there may be hope - albeit small but hope.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

True, but also warm and sunny....also, please don't take my comment as doubt or throwing water on the parade, it's just one *more* hurdle Josh will need jump to show he's come full circle in terms of managing conditions, Offense, and himself while continuing to score at least to some degree. Of course I hope they post 41 points of Offense every game, but obviously that wouldn't be fair...however, I don't think 27ish, is outside the realm of reasonable on the average in those types of games, barring a Snow-pocalypse like that of three years ago. 

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

Sadly I don't see it being done in time to allow JA to thrive in it......OH SO much $$$ and it isn't in the city of Buffalo that PSA's will sell like wildfire.  That is a tough sell.  Pegs and the city would have to shoulder a HUGE burden for a venue that will sit empty more often than not.  Altho I put nothing past the Peg's and the marketing genius that is Kim.....there may be hope - albeit small but hope.

I understand that, however, if I recall correctly - and I could be way off base here - but I believe when Goodell and the other owners approved the Pegula's purchase of the Bills, one of the caveats was that a new stadium needed to be built within the leasing time frame. Yes, COVID has altered the financing options, but I don't think they'll lose any of the leverage from the NFL owners or Goodell. To that end, I don't think the domed stadium is soooo significantly different from an open air stadium that it would be cost prohibitive.

And, yes it sits empty - but like other domes, there are other uses of the dome during the Off-season and if they do it right, they can have a portion of it open to fans year round with stores and fan venues to bring people in....so, it's not a total waste of space. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

didnt they study this and find that the bills dont have the worst weather in the league?

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

didnt they study this and find that the bills dont have the worst weather in the league?

I'm not sure, but just for clarity - I wasn't insinuating that either. Just that weather plays a role in the Offensive production and fan experience and with that in mind, plus the pressure from the NFL, a new stadium is a near guarantee at some point. If a stadium is to be built, then it would only make sense to me that it would be a dome for the aforementioned reasons. JMO of course.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

They should rename it the Josh Allen Award for Ongoing Excellence and General Badassery.  

Have you seen the NFL Twitter page?    https://twitter.com/nfl 

For about a week now 

this has been the banner at the top.

1500x500

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He has one more in him this week.

Locking up the Team Record for the Single Season Passing yardage.

Locking up the Team Record for the most passing TDs in Buffalo in a single Season

Locking up the NFL Record for the most passing TDs to 14 receivers

Locking up the 5th AFC POTW

Locking up the MVP

Locking up the 2 Seed

Just think by this time next year Josh will likely be sitting at 4th overall in Career passing yards for the Buffalo Bills passing Fitz

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

4 times?  Doesn't that = 

MVP?

The Last 10 NFL MVPs and Offensive Player of the Week 

2010 NFL MVP Tom Brady had 2 OPW.

Only Michael Vick had more (3). 
Josh Freeman and Aaron’s Rodgers also had 2. 

Brady was the first unanimous MVP this season after receiving 50/50 votes. 

2011 NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers had 3 OPW. 
Brees and Brady also had 3 OPW. 
Roethlisberger, Arian Foster and Ray Rice all had 2. 

Brees (3) was the MVP runner up. Rodgers received 48/50 MVP votes. 

2012 NFL MVP Adrian Peterson had 2 OPW. 
Brady, Manning, and Rodgers all had 2 as well. 

Peyton Manning (2) finished 2nd in the MVP vote. Peterson received 30.5/50 MVP votes. 

2013 NFL MVP Peyton Manning had 3 OPW. 
Drew Brees had 3, while Rivers, Dalton and Foles had 2. 

Brady (1) finished second in the NFL MVP vote. Manning received 49/50 MVP votes. 

2014 NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers had 4 OPW. 
Ryan, Wilson, Roethlisberger, and Justin Forsett all had 2. 

JJ Watt (2) finished 2nd in the MVP voting. Rodgers received 31/50 MVP votes. 

2015 NFL MVP Cam Newton had 5 OPW. 
Mariota, Roethlisberger, Fitzpatrick, Cousins, Brees, E. Manning and Julio Jones all had 2. 

Brady and Palmer finished 2nd in the MVP vote. Newton received 48/50 MVP votes. 

2016 NFL MVP Matt Ryan had 2 OPW.

This was tied with Brady, Rodgers, D. Johnson. Only Jay Ajayi had more (3) in 2016. 

Brady (2) finished 2nd in the MVP vote and Derek Carr (1) was tied with Ezekiel Elliot (1) for 3rd. Ryan received 24/50 MVP votes. 

2017 NFL MVP Tom Brady had 3 OPW. This was tied with Todd Gurley for the most in the NFL in 2017. 
Rivers and Wilson both had 2. 

Gurley (3) finished 2nd in the MVP vote and Carson Wentz (1) finished 3rd. Brady received 40/50 MVP votes. 

2018 NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes had 2 OPW. This was tied with Brees, Firzpatrick, Gurley, Roethlisberger and Amari Cooper for the most in the NFL in 2018. 

Brees (2) finished 2nd in the MVP vote. Mahomes received 41/50 MVP votes. 

2019 NFL MVP Lamar Jackson had 5 OPW. This was the most in the NFL in 2019. 
Deshaun Watson finished with 3 AFC OPW and Wilson, Prescott and Aaron Jones finished with 2. 

Lamar Jackson was the unanimous MVP receiving 50/50 MVP votes. 

Offensive Player of the Month and MVPs

Since 2010 9/10 MVPs have won at least 1 Offensive Player of the Month in the season that they were MVP. The only player that didn’t win one was Cam Newton in 2015. 

There have been a few players who have won multiple Offensive Player of the Month awards in the same season but have not won the MVP vote.

Brady (2) in 2011 where Rodgers had 3. 
Manning (2) in 2012 where Peterson had 1. 
D. Murray (2) in 2014 where Rodgers had 1. 
A. Brown (2) in 2015 where Newton had 0. 
Gurley (2) in 2017 where Brady had 1. 

What does this mean in 2020? 

How does 2020 stack up to the last 10 years, it will be interesting to look at. So far we’re through 15 out of 17 weeks in the season. 

Josh currently leads the league with 4 Offensive Player of the Week awards. Kyler Murray also won this week, so he now has 3 on the season. Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson and Dalvin Cook all have 2. Aaron Rodgers, one of the favorites for MVP has 1. 

The only player to have sole possession of the most Offensive Player of the Week awards in the NFL and NOT win the MVP in the last 10 years was Michael Vick (3) in 2010, when he lost out to Brady (2). 

Josh looks to be in line to win potentially win Offensive Player of the Month in December after already winning 2/3 player of the week awards. If he won, it would be his 2nd this season (September). The other current winners are Wilson (September), Brady and Henry (October) and Mahomes and Cook (November). 

If Josh were to win 2 Offensive Player of the Month awards and not win the MVP, he would be the 6th players since 2010 for that to happen to, but he would be the first player to have won the most Player of the Week and Player of the Month Awards and not win the MVP. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2

Since the 2018 draft here is the count for quarterbacks of note from the 2017 and 2018 drafts (no Trubisky is not of note :)

Offensive Player of the Week award

Josh Allen – 6

Lamar Jackson - 6

Patrick Mahomes – 5

Desean Watson – 4

Baker Mayfield - 2

Sam Darnold – 1

Josh Rosen - 0

A few things surprise me .. 1) Darnold got one; 2) Mahomes only has 5

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

True, but also warm and sunny....also, please don't take my comment as doubt or throwing water on the parade, it's just one *more* hurdle Josh will need jump to show he's come full circle in terms of managing conditions, Offense, and himself while continuing to score at least to some degree. Of course I hope they post 41 points of Offense every game, but obviously that wouldn't be fair...however, I don't think 27ish, is outside the realm of reasonable on the average in those types of games, barring a Snow-pocalypse like that of three years ago. 

It was cold and snowing for the Steelers game, vs the #1 D. The reason I brought up the wind game was because most people agree wind is the weather factor that most affects QBs. Not rain, snow or cold. It’s the wind. While 2 of his 3 worst games this year came in “weather” they also came in weeks 5-8 which was the exact window of time he was playing through the shoulder injury. So I just don’t know if it was the weather, the injury, the opponents or a combination of all. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

They should rename it the Josh Allen Award for Ongoing Excellence and General Badassery.  

The JAAOEGB?  Yes.

51 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Have you seen the NFL Twitter page?    https://twitter.com/nfl 

For about a week now 

this has been the banner at the top.

1500x500

My son pointed that out to me last night.  Pretty cool.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was windy during that game, not really windy.   The forcast was for more wind than they had during that game.  I remember Sal saying it had little affect on gameplans or play on the field.  

It was "really windy" vs the Pats.  

Anyway, I see it both ways, there is an advantage in January if the Dolphins have to play outside in Buffalo but for the player Josh is, it is also good to be in a dome.

That bad 4 game stretch earlier in the year really killed his mvp chances. Let's be honest, if his stats are similar or even slightly better than Mahomes or Rodgers, he's not winning it. Especially when they are each winning their conferences. 

• Like (+1) 1