A.J. Klein had a great game

msw2112

Klein has had a rough season and has taken a beating on this board.  There's no doubt that prior to yesterday's game, his play has been poor.  With Milano on IR, it was great to see A.J. step up yesterday and have a great game.  He was all over the field making plays, against one of the top offenses in the NFL.  Let's hope he can continue to play this way for the rest of the season.  If he can, it will make a huge difference for the team.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He was awesome as a blitzing LB.  I still hate him.  

He was still getting beat beat by the run, always being a step behind.  Luckily they had to abandon the run and didn’t call any screens.  We got lucky that the Seattle OC didn’t know how to beat the all out blitz

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

He was still getting beat beat by the run, always being a step behind.  Luckily they had to abandon the run and didn’t call any screens.  We got lucky that the Seattle OC didn’t know how to beat the all out blitz

I think the same and I am surprised to read LOT of praise for Klein.

Maybe the reason is that I don't get the skill for the blitz, I always think that they are the consequences of missing assignments by the opposing oline.

Klein was terrible vs outside zone, always choosing very bad angles, he made a couple of good play in coverage though.

Anyway, if he gives the best on the LOS as the 5th rusher let him do that job :)

• Like (+1) 3

Early in the game, he had a terrible angle of attack on the running back in the back field and completely watched him run past him. I thought, at the time, well, this is how this game is going to go. Klein sucks, dammit!! 

But, as the game progressed, he got better and was used in the proper positions. I think that's the key: use him correctly and he's a stud! He had a great game and certainly made the difference gaining a Bills TD with the sack/turnover! It was glorious to watch!!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Klein has had a rough season and has taken a beating on this board.  There's no doubt that prior to yesterday's game, his play has been poor.  With Milano on IR, it was great to see A.J. step up yesterday and have a great game.  He was all over the field making plays, against one of the top offenses in the NFL.  Let's hope he can continue to play this way for the rest of the season.  If he can, it will make a huge difference for the team.

Good TBN article

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/maligned-bills-linebacker-a-j-klein-has-day-of-his-life-against-seahawks/article_0a18ab28-2232-11eb-92ee-0b87a9561456.html

So I believe the Seasnakes are familiar to Klein......(rummage rummage) glancing over his game logs, he's played against them at least 5 times on CAR and on NO.

I wonder if Klein may be a Jim Leonard-like player who needs his head to be effective.  If so, maybe he's been playing slow in Buffalo because he's still thinking about the defense and what he's supposed to do, and thinking about what the opponents are showing him as he's not faced them before?  I know he played in McDermott's defense in Carolina, but he's been in New Orleans for the last 3 years, Frazier's defense is not identical to McDermott's, and both have mutated over the last 3 seasons in response to their player personnel.

I for one am STUNNED to even see this thread with THIS title!  Thanks for stepping up AJ....please for all of us here at TBD keep the motor running at this level.  Our collective hearts depend on it......don't want no ICU for those heart attack misses!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah I wasn't watching him closely, but I wondered if he was really having a good game, or just had a couple high visibility good/lucky plays.

Reminded me of watching the CB Diggs, who was lost and outmatched in one game, but had a couple lucky INTs fall into his lap so he was lauded as having a great game by people who only follow stat lines.

During one of the early plays in the game I said to my wife "I wish No. 54 could make a tackle on somebody!"  Later in the game when he had the sack and strip, she says to me very quietly, "isn't that the guy you were complaining about in the 1st quarter?"  Nothing beats watching the game with your wife.

• Haha (+1) 6

50 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

It’s not who he has been, and I doubt it’s who he will suddenly be on a consistent basis. But I’ll take it when he does flash it. 

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

He had a great game, but I loved the play where he was in coverage and Wilson underthrew it and it hit him in the back

Was he covering Lockett on that play? That he was able to keep up with him and have good coverage, was shocking.

What a difference we saw from Klein from the 1st half to the 2nd half. I was just as stunned as everyone else, and I have been critical of his play.

Yes, it helped that the Seahawks stopped running the ball, but Klein was very effective as a pass rusher, and surprisingly very decent in coverage.

So what does this mean for Klein now? Do we bring him in for obvious passing downs, and use him in more blitz packages? Because we all saw how disruptive he can be, and I still don't know if we can trust him as much against the run.

This is quite a puzzle.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Success said:

His big plays were no fluke or just being in the right place at the right time.

He was dominating out there at times.  It was really encouraging to see. He gave our defense some moxie.

It is encouraging.  I would say his improved play probably has to do with Klein learning the system better and the "system" learning to use Klein correctly.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Was he covering Lockett on that play? That he was able to keep up with him and have good coverage, was shocking.

Yes he was covering him.  They were doing a zone blitz so he was covering Lockett so other players could blitz and Wilson saw easy coverage but was rushed.

What seemed evident to me is...

The Bills finally built a defensive gameplan using AJ Klein and his skillset at LB, instead of just building it like Milano was going to play and swapping in AJ like he is the same player.  

Milano being out for sure instead of questionable probably helped a ton.  So did the Seahawks being forced to be a little more one-dimensional...less thinking more playing really helped the defense with all the new pieces.

Agreed!  Good for him, good for us.  Early in the game I started complaining to my son when a Seahawk running back beat Klein to the corner for a first down.  After he sacked Wilson and caused/recovered the fumble I turned tomy so and said, "see you wanted to bench this guy" :)

I am not a fan of AJ...  never have been even when he was in Carolina.

Hawks' TE's did have a good game, even though that isn't directly attributed to AJ versus all of our LB's and secondary.

With that said, AJ played a really impressive game and glad to see he has some gas in the tank left.  Hopefully he can keep it going for the rest of the season, or at least the next three games.  Do any of you know when Darron Lee could be activated, I think he was officially signed to the p squad on Nov 2nd.  Does that mean this coming week?

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, but he didn't really keep up. He was probably 2-3 feet behind him. A badly underthrown ball that he had no idea was even thrown until it hit him because he was trying to catch up.

He had a great game though and hopefully they have figured out an effective way to keep using his talents. 

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yes, but he didn't really keep up. He was probably 2-3 feet behind him. A badly underthrown ball that he had no idea was even thrown until it hit him because he was trying to catch up.

He had a great game though and hopefully they have figured out an effective way to keep using his talents. 

I'm still impressed.

He should have been 10 yards behind him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1