Le'Veon Bell signs with Kansas City

Seasons1992

Just now, Mark Vader said:

If they didn't then the interim coach would more likely be Greggo.

That doesn't scare me.

But if Gase is so hated in the locker room than I could see them showing some fight with GW just because they are happy Gase is gone. The Bills should win no matter what but with Gase it will be easier. They are a dead team walking right now.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Billsman623 said:

He could but I would think he would save that til he gets older since you can only claim it once in your career. Might want to wait until he gets cut when he is like 33 and done.

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Dolphins are way more attractive than you give them credit for. Their rebuild is further along, they have a strong coach, they have Tua, and it's Miami.

Tua hasn't even played a snap in the NFL yet.  Let's pump the brakes.  Josh Rosen was supposed to be the next great thing too, remember?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, starrymessenger said:

Well that certainly makes sense but I'd like to know how you negotiate a double dip. Not that I care about them, but I could see how the jets might not like that very much. I guess the lawyers have a way to do this. 

Maybe but maybe not  You can only claim termination pay one time in your career. I would think he might want to wait until he gets cut when he is old and on a big contract since he will likely not get another one...maybe in his 30s?

I’d love to have Bell in a Bills uni, but realistically his running style just doesn’t fit our scheme. McClappy seems to want a downhill runner and Bell dances through holes....our online just can’t sustain a style like that.

Just now, Sweats said:

I’d love to have Bell in a Bills uni, but realistically his running style just doesn’t fit our scheme. McClappy seems to want a downhill runner and Bell dances through holes....our online just can’t sustain a style like that.

I love motor, but he’s definitely not a downhill style runner

1 minute ago, Sweats said:

Pass protection and route running ability is why they want him.  Not running style.  Why can't people get this?

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Good question.  "working from home", as he kind of would be--he would likely be liable for NJ state income tax (unless the Jets open an office in FLA that he worked in).. but if he lives in FLA (not NJ) 365 dyas a year, I think he would be refunded the tax by NJ--even if he wasn't "working".

It would depend on the reciprocity rules with each states tax code. Out of state earnings can be a PITA. I had earnings is 26 states one year.... total nightmare to sort out without a CPA. As a VA resident I can tell you that there was no refund from NY or NJ, but there was reciprocity with PA, KY, DC, etc. 

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Well that certainly makes sense but I'd like to know how you negotiate a double dip. Not that I care about them, but I could see how the jets might not like that very much. I guess the lawyers have a way to do this. 

He's not negotiating a double dip, he's negotiating TO double dip.

Meaning, telling the new team(s) that they are not going to get any salary help from what the Jets owe. The new team is starting at $0 instead of the $5.5M.

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

It would depend on the reciprocity rules with each states tax code. Out of state earnings can be a PITA. I had earnings is 26 states one year.... total nightmare to sort out without a CPA. As a VA resident I can tell you that there was no refund from NY or NJ, but there was reciprocity with PA, KY, DC, etc. 

Would he still be considered to be "working" where the Jets are playing since he is getting paid from them?

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe but maybe not  You can only claim termination pay one time in your career. I would think he might want to wait until he gets cut when he is old and on a big contract since he will likely not get another one...maybe in his 30s?

This is decision is getting a lot more complex than just being able to shoot deer from your back porch

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Meaning, telling the new team(s) that they are not going to get any salary help from what the Jets owe. The new team is starting at $0 instead of the $5.5M.

That is not necessarily true.  That is only speculation on the reporters part.  That is a BIG decision because you can only claim that once in your NFL career and I would think a player would want to claim that on their last contract when they get cut rather than in the prime of their career when they really don't need to.

Edited by matter2003

Just now, matter2003 said:

That is not necessarily true.  That is only speculation on the reporters part.  That is a big decision because you can only claim hat once in your NFL career and I would think a player would want to claim that on their last contract when they get cut rather than in the prime of their career.

I was answering starry's question, not saying it was actually happening.

STOP NIT PICKING ME BROOOOO :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This right there tells me "stay away."

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

This right there tells me "stay away."

Why? If you or I were in the same shoes and could get 5.5MM for leaving a job, plus negotiate for a couple million more from our new employer we would do it in a heartbeat 

Edited by ytownblofan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sweats said:

You can use him with screens and I think he can still put up decent numbers rushing. We can't judge him off the "offensive genius" known as Adam Gase. If he starts producing really well running then opposing defenses will have to put 8 in the box. That would open up the passing game even more and its already pretty good.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Did you live in NY or NJ for any time of the year?

Just now, matter2003 said:

Would he still be considered to be "working" where the Jets are playing since he is getting paid from them?

Can’t speak for the NFL, but I toured as a contract employee and every state I worked in without reciprocity with VA taxed the earnings according to their tax rates. Basically, they take out their chunk and send a “rebate” of the difference between the two rates (home state and earnings state)..... So, if say I lived in NY and earned $1 million dollars in KY then KY would take out 5-6% and I’d still be liable to NY for 2-3% to complete the 8.**% tax rate of NY. Going the other direction, say KY earnings and FL residence, you’d just pay the KY taxes. It gets weird though because reciprocity means that you’re not taxed in the earning state and pay the residential income tax rate on those earnings in your home state. 

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Tua hasn't even played a snap in the NFL yet.  Let's pump the brakes.  Josh Rosen was supposed to be the next great thing too, remember?

18 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The Bills have Josh Allen who is light years ahead of Tua 

All true. And not saying Miami is better than Buffalo. Just pointing out Miami is not that far behind. A lot depends on what Bell wants more? To be part of a winning culture, or bet on an up-and-coming team with beaches and a club scene?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, ytownblofan said:

Why? If you or I were in the same shoes and could get 5.5MM for leaving a job, plus negotiate for a couple million more from our new employer we would do it in a heartbeat 

I never spite these guys for holding out, negotiating, leveraging whatever they have to. So few NFL players get the opportunity and so little is guaranteed to them anyway. Make your paper, dude. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

All true. And not saying Miami is better than Buffalo. Just pointing out Miami is not that far behind. A lot depends on what Bell wants more? To be part of a winning culture, or bet on a up-and-coming team with beaches and a club scene?

Maybe they are, but there is a big difference between playing some teams tough and losing and actually being a good team with a winning record.  Just because you look like you are on the journey to get there doesn't mean you will...the Bills looked like they were on that journey more than once during the drought and never got there until McDermott took over.

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Did you live in NY or NJ for any time of the year?

Nope. But I was former NY resident. Basically paid the higher tax rate and NY informed VA that I paid taxes on the income and sent a receipt and form...... which was better than SC. I had to delay filing to wait for their documentation.

• Like (+1) 1

I have no problem with the notion of Le'Veon Bell.  I have my doubts, but I "trust the process"

What I'd like, though, is to know that Beane has his pro personnel people and scouts getting friction burns and sore eyes pouring over scouting film and through the rolodexes to see if there is possibly some help at LB and CB - on a practice squad, someone sent home with an injury settlement, FA who didn't make the cut, CFL guy sitting at home - someone, somewhere.  We are desperately shorthanded and it's not clear that the guys we have are capable of doing what needs doing.

• Like (+1) 2

Not sure why all the hype...yes for 2 years he was elite, now???

He has not shown anything recently....not going to argue about the biggest reasons because they hardly matter...if his head is not in the game. He lost his head for the game it appears, his desire has all but disappeared. 

2 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

He has not shown anything recently....not going to argue about the biggest reasons because they hardly matter...if his head is not in the game. He lost his head for the game it appears, his desire has all but disappeared. 

Playin for Gase will do that no doubt...

9 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

If he chooses the Dolphins then it’s simply about location (and maybe money since they have the most cap and no state income tax). If he chooses the Chiefs, it’s about a chance at a ring. If he chooses the Bills, then he’d be entering day 1 as the lead dog with plenty of opportunity to play a feature role to improve his value on an up and coming team with a chance to contend. 

Tough call, but it’s really about what he values most. If it were me, I’m going to play with Mahomes for a shot at a ring. Especially, since I made 28 million for my last 18 games. But...and I’m obviously biased, Buffalo is really a great option for him to play and contend. 

3 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

I think the perfect example of Gase's incompetence is Ryan Tannehill.  Declared a bust in Miami with Gase, now putting up All Pro numbers.

Since taking over as QB in TN, I believe he has 31 passing TD's to 7 INT's...in 15-16 games.  That's very, very good.

I have no problem signing Bell for this season.  I have my doubts as to how effective he is these days, but our running game is not good this year.  If he works out, great; if he doesn't, he's gone after the season and no future cap hit (at least, that's how I understand it).  That said, we need more help at LB and CB than at RB.