Titans player test positive today 10/7

BillsMafi$
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please narrowly restrict discussion in this thread to the NFL and NFL-related covid policy and issue.  It is acceptable to provide links to NFL policies and explanations of NFL policies provided they come from high-factual sources.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

I think to make things fair the league should give Tennessee a loss but shouldn't gift us a win. The game just won't count for us. People are already talking about the NFL using win percentage for playoff seeding instead of win total because it is likely other games will need to be cancelled. So hurt the Titans for screwing up but don't give us a free win. I think that would be a fair outcome for the league.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think to make things fair the league should give Tennessee a loss but shouldn't gift us a win. The game just won't count for us. People are already talking about the NFL using win percentage for playoff seeding instead of win total because it is likely other games will need to be cancelled. So hurt the Titans for screwing up but don't give us a free win. I think that would be a fair outcome for the league.

Sal just made a great point about this year and EVERYONE having to suspend this notion of "fair".

With the pandemic situation in general, in order to get this season done, we're all going to have to swallow some less-than-fair things. Just the way it is.

With that said, I'll take that win. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Might as well just go with winning percentage.  The Titans were favored so you could argue they're getting screwed-out of a win.

Schefter just said on ESPN one of the players who tested positive today was Corey Davis. I don't see any way the game happens this week but if somehow it does the titans would potentially be down their top 3 WRs. 

Also it's probably safe to assume he was at the workout last week, and there is spread throughout that group. 

Morons. 

Honestly, I’m not big into punitive measures for positives but totally fine with very stiff penalties for disregarding the rules. Especially after the known breakout started 

a lone guy forgetting a mask is one thing. An organized activity during a quarantine window counts as a big deal to me. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 3

If a team can't play because of Covid-19, just not count it for both teams.   It would essentially be like a tie.   I don't think it's fair to penalize 1 team with a loss and gift  the other with a win. 

Example:

9 wins 16 games   .5625

9 wins 15 games   .6000

10 wins 16 games   .625

10 wins 15 games   .667

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If a team can't play because of Covid-19, just not count it for both teams.   It would essentially be like a tie.   I don't think it's fair to penalize 1 team with a loss and gift  the other with a win. 

Example:

9 wins 16 games   .5625

9 wins 15 games   .6000

10 wins 16 games   .625

10 wins 15 games   .667

Lol one team (or a significant number of members of it) broke a clear order from the league and the other didn’t and “it’s not fair” to punish the one who broke the rule? Okay buddy

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

That's it. NFL needs to impose a forfeit.... and let us pick any player from the Titans. 

Welcome to Buffalo Derrick Henry!

Maybe Tannehill so backup QB won't be our much maligned "Achilles heel".

Actually Tannehill was one of the idiots defending their secret unauthorized practices, doesn't exactly scream process.

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Example:

9 wins 16 games   .5625

9 wins 15 games   .6000

10 wins 16 games   .625

10 wins 15 games   .667

I believe this scenario is the absolute last thing to consider.  If a team loses a division or playoff spot because they didn't have an opportunity

to play it will be chaos.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Example:

9 wins 16 games   .5625

9 wins 15 games   .6000

10 wins 16 games   .625

10 wins 15 games   .667

That's fine when you play 60 games or more, but when you only play 16 games one lost opportunity for a win/loss has major ramifications on playoff seeding, draft order, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

I dont understand why people are worried about "being fair" to the rest of the league when the NFL Offices have spent almost 3 decades blatantly crapping all over the Bills, and using them as the punching bag every chance it could get.

Screw every other team in the league.

Titans screwed up, and it just so happens they did so right before they were supposed to play us. If the Bills and Steelers get an extra perk out of it, blame the Titans if you think it is unfair. If it were the Steelers and Chiefs getting the perk and we didnt like it, again, blame the Titans.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sal just made a great point about this year and EVERYONE having to suspend this notion of "fair".

Yeah but the Bills getting a win when the Steelers don't doesn't make any sense to me. I think it's fair to punish the Titans without rewarding the Bills. It's very unlikely 16 regular season games will be played by every team so they might as well switch to win percentage instead.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Bubbling is absolutely the best and only real solution for having a successful season.

However, that is much easier for the NBA and NHL, when both only needed a couple months in order to finish a compressed season.

The NFL would have had to bubble for Camp + the whole season + playoffs. That is a 6 month bubble for lots of folk. That is very tough to pull off. Not only keeping people following protocol that long, but forcing so many people to be away from their families that long. It isnt just million dollar players, but lots of under paid staff too.

Aaron Rodgers was just on Pat McAfee yesterday saying he didnt even want to bubble for the playoffs. We would have seen a TON more players opt out.

I'm all for the bubble, dont get me wrong. Just saying it would have been a much tougher task for the NFL.

You are right. Just the rosters alone at 53+ people added with the coaching staff, trainers, and everyone else involved youre talking about 100+ for 32 teams. Its a lot of people and would be hard to pull off but something tells me Texas could manage to Bio Dome these guys like Pauley Shore and Stephen Baldwin.

One team (which seemingly broke several protocols) is the major issue here. Hopefully this serves as a wake up call to the rest of the league not to get complacent. 

It is 100% fair to punish that team with a forfeit. It's one thing to fall victim to something you couldn't control. It's another to apparently engage in reckless conduct that puts the Bills Super Bowl run... I mean the NFL season... in jeopardy. 

There are 31 other teams with only a couple of minor issues. The Titans are the poster child for what can go wrong when you don't follow the rules, and if it results in losses due to forfeits then so be it. 

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah but the Bills getting a win when the Steelers don't doesn't make any sense to me. I think it's fair to punish the Titans without rewarding the Bills. It's very unlikely 16 regular season games will be played by every team so they might as well switch to win percentage instead.

Im fine giving both the Bills and Steelers a win, and adding 2 losses for the Titans. They deserve it.

29 minutes ago, Nester said:

9 guys who should be on the commissioner’s exempt list.

They look good in shorts?  I mean, I guess they could be identified from that picture by NASA satellite photography analysts or something.

They look good in shorts is what I get from them, and I'm the Board's Chief Stalker with the Bills "Suited up for Travel" threads.

15 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Lol one team (or a significant number of members of it) broke a clear order from the league and the other didn’t and “it’s not fair” to punish the one who broke the rule? Okay buddy

You are assuming that teams are only getting infections because they broke the rules.  Maybe that's true for the Titans, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the Patriots.  Moreover, the Raiders, a team that definitely broke the rules, has had like 1 positive test so far.    Covid is extremely easy to spread because people are infectious anywhere from 2-4 days before they show any symptoms (apparently, including testing positive).   Whether the virus gets into a team seems to me to be much more about luck than anything else.  All it takes is one contact with the wrong person at the wrong time.

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

You are assuming that teams are only getting infections because they broke the rules.  Maybe that's true for the Titans, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the Patriots.  Moreover, the Raiders, a team that definitely broke the rules, has had like 1 positive test so far.    Covid is extremely easy to spread because people are infectious anywhere from 2-4 days before they show any symptoms (apparently, including testing positive).   Whether the virus gets into a team seems to me to be much more about luck than anything else.  All it takes is one contact with the wrong person at the wrong time.

It should be assumed at all times that if there's a rule, the Patriots broke it.

I didn't take @JoPoy88's point to be a general assumption about infections, but a point that if you treat the Titans Steelers and Bills the same yet it can be shown the Titans broke clear directives from the league to stay apart and not practice, that ain't right.

I tend to believe that a lot of teams have been pretty lax about infection control procedures the league actually may have mandated from the start, such as mask wearing whenever possible within the facility, and on the practice field.   But I'm a bit vague on what the actual approved protocols for the facilities were.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, SoTier said:

who are we talking about in this thread again? Right the titans. I am not assuming anything and I am not advocating for a team to be punished to the extent of a forfeit just simply for having positive cases. The team broke a mandate not to gather and practice. It appears several players said “eh” to that and went to a high school and did it anyways. Maybe you missed that but that’s where I was coming from.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Greg S said:

Then maybe the league needs to keep January open for make up games. Why do the playoffs have to start in January? No reason the Super Bowl can't be played in early March. The Stanley Cup was won in October as will the NBA Finals.

Superbowl needs to be played in sweeps month which occurs in February for it helps set the high advertising rate NFL and NFLPA want.  I know ratings are outdated but they are still used.

https://www.newscaststudio.com/resources/sweeps-dates/#:~:text=Four times every year are,often extend into neighboring months.

Four times every year are ratings periods commonly known as “sweeps.” These periods are typically held in February, May, July and November, though the actual dates often extend into neighboring months.

Although larger markets are now metered electronically year round, smaller and midsize markets still use paper diaries that are mailed to millions of homes across the country during these select periods.

Households are asked to track the programs watched by each household member for seven days (or eight days if the home has a DVR). The diaries are then returned to the Nielsen Company, which then tabulates and provides the data to television stations, advertisers and other interested parties.

8 hours ago, scribo said:

There is a requirement in the CBL that a team must have two days of practice between games. It is in there in case, such as this, a facility is closed or weather keeps players from being able to get to the facility. I am not sure if a team's players are able to waive that, but I don't think so. Not sure if practicing on Saturday is an option for a Sunday game.

They could practice elsewhere like they do during training camp and if they were smart all teams would be looking at alternate practice sites especially with colleges and (in Texas) high schools closed down.  Issue is where they play the game but with no fans less of an issue.

8 hours ago, Mickey said:

Nonfact factoid. The only possible outcomes are play as scheduled, postpone, cancel or forfeit. None of these has been eliminated so it is true that the game "could" be canceled. They are not saying it will be or even that it will likely be forfeited, just saying it is within the realm of possibility. Very informative, no?

Yes it is speculative talk.  The world could rebel and an asteroid could hit Titans facility.  

Better talk would be as you wrote - state the possibilities according to new rules and which ones have been used in past.

Not exactly sure difference between cancel (other than season) and forfeit is.

8 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

Then they go ahead and schedule Thursday games as well, just being greedy and stupid. Talk about having no plan. 

They had contract issues with Thursday night games.  Some including players not like them but NFL and NFLPA like the revenue.

Just now, Virgil said:

Is it weird that there hasn't been a response from the NFL on this yet?

I'd at least like them to figure out if we're playing them this week or not. Whatever they decide forfeit/reschedule they can decide that later but I'd just like us to know if we're still on the Titans or KC.

6 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Add in a missed game check for the players and compliance will shoot up.

They are already doing that per last memo.  Needs to apply to coaches too,

Also some players have so much salary changed into signing bonus that it is not as much impact on them as you think.

22 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Is it weird that there hasn't been a response from the NFL on this yet?

I think the NFL is waiting for the next round of testing. 

If it's positive, and the Titans need 2 days of negatives before getting into the facility and 2 days of practice before the game (CBA mandate), the Sunday game is toast and they don't have to navigate any issues about whether the Titans have really contained their outbreak or are placing Bills players at risk.  They can then investigate and sort out discipline to the Titans (if any) for violating protocol at their leisure.

53 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

They could practice elsewhere like they do during training camp and if they were smart all teams would be looking at alternate practice sites especially with colleges and (in Texas) high schools closed down.  Issue is where they play the game but with no fans less of an issue.

I think this is missing the point.  The team is locked out of the facility because if infections are still cropping up, they don't want the players and coaches to get together and continue the spread.  It doesn't really matter if it's the Titans facility or the facility at St Frances Miracle of East Beelzebub High School for that. 

See: Green Eggs and Ham, Dr Seuss.

• Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes it is speculative talk.  The world could rebel and an asteroid could hit Titans facility.  

Better talk would be as you wrote - state the possibilities according to new rules and which ones have been used in past.

I think cancel would be that the game simply isn't counted.  A forfeit would give the team that caused the forfeit to have an additional loss while the team that they were supposed to play gets an extra win.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

The bills players were exposed to the virus against the Raiders. Gilmore testing positive exposes the talking point of a single positive test today meaning only one player has it so the game should be played.

Pause the season for a week across the entire league and shift week 5 back a week. Why go through the headache of juggling a schedule, just lift and shift. It's not like the venues have to deal with scheduling around concerts and other events right now.

I can't even imagine being Morse and trying to prepare for an NFL game right now.

The Raiders players were POTENTIALLY exposed but the Raider who players played were tested prior to game on their usual schedule.

The Bills players were not necessarily exposed because they played again those players.

NFL should consider making Titans travel rather than Bills go to Titans' facility

Edited by Limeaid
reworded

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Cancel the game: those two teams play one less game, post season based on winning percentage. Awful but I guess it would be possible.

• Like (+1) 1