Titans player test positive today 10/7

BillsMafi$
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please narrowly restrict discussion in this thread to the NFL and NFL-related covid policy and issue.  It is acceptable to provide links to NFL policies and explanations of NFL policies provided they come from high-factual sources.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

The bills players were exposed to the virus against the Raiders. Gilmore testing positive exposes the talking point of a single positive test today meaning only one player has it so the game should be played.

Pause the season for a week across the entire league and shift week 5 back a week. Why go through the headache of juggling a schedule, just lift and shift. It's not like the venues have to deal with scheduling around concerts and other events right now.

I can't even imagine being Morse and trying to prepare for an NFL game right now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

agreed. If I am the bills and the game is still on, I would say “no chance.” Those guys are a Petrie dish. 

I didn’t like the idea of playing Vegas last week.  The goal is to win the Super Bowl.  Playing a team full of careless idiots whose decision to expose themselves may affect us does not further that goal.  So maybe (hopefully) we dodged a bullet last week.  I would not want to mess with playing the Titans this week.  And, frankly, following the Gilmore situation, I’m beginning to wonder if the Chiefs game blows up on us.  What a mess.  

3 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

The bills players were exposed to the virus against the Raiders. Gilmore testing positive exposes the talking point of a single positive test today meaning only one player has it so the game should be played.

Pause the season for a week across the entire league and shift week 5 back a week. Why go through the headache of juggling a schedule, just lift and shift. It's not like the venues have to deal with scheduling around concerts and other events right now.

I can't even imagine being Morse and trying to prepare for an NFL game right now.

This might be the best solution.  Have to see what the TV nets say about this.  It’s fair for everyone (except maybe us if we end up getting it later b/c of the Raiders or through KC next Thursday.  

I feel really bad for guys with small kids - didn’t Lee Smith say that Kroft’s wife is pregnant?  That is an impossible situation right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

well, if the protocol is that everyone tested negative, and came into the facility, I'm not sure something happened internally that led to the spread.  We just don't know.  I'm all for punishing them if it can be proven protocol was broken (whether or not it led to the spread).  But there has been no evidence of that to date.  

I think this is kind of the point.  If there was external spread, e.g., player to player or player to coach, that’s sort of the problem here.  My understanding is that league protocols are designed to prevent gathering of players/staff when a facility is closed to prevent the spread.  If the players/coaches gathered outside of the facility (e.g., to lift) and spread the virus through that contact, then “it” is on the Titans for failing to contain the virus (and causing significant upheaval in league operations). 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

How has the NFL not said anything about this yet? They're dropping the ball. The Bills need to know what team to prepare for this weekend, or if they're going to play at all.

Do you really believe the NFL has not been in contact with the Bills (and every other team) on this topic?

Let's just be a little patient.

Edited by KD in CA

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

I think this is kind of the point.  If there was external spread, e.g., player to player or player to coach, that’s sort of the problem here.  My understanding is that league protocols are designed to prevent gathering of players/staff when a facility is closed to prevent the spread.  If the players/coaches gathered outside of the facility (e.g., to lift) and spread the virus through that contact, then “it” is on the Titans for failing to contain the virus (and causing significant upheaval in league operations). 

Yes, seems like the NFL is investigating whether Titans players gathered to practice outside the facility.  If so, they forfeit.  Speaking selfishly, I'm bummed if the game isn't played on Sunday.  Heading up to WNY this weekend and was hoping to see the game.    

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

How has the NFL not said anything about this yet? They're dropping the ball. The Bills need to know what team to prepare for this weekend, or if they're going to play at all.

Steady on, Old Chap.  The situation is developing and I'm sure the NFL is talking to the teams behind the scenes and trying to sort this out.

It would serve no purpose for them to act hastily, or to loop the public in before a clear decision.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is this from a legit source?

Does he have information or is he just blowing smoke and speculating?

They are reporting on the statement made by Goodell that said actions could be taken all the way up to forcing teams to forfeit. Just saying its an option and possibility. Not that it is likely or headed that way based on any info specific to the Titans.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is this from a legit source?

Does he have information or is he just blowing smoke and speculating?

At this point I’d say people are just connecting dots and speculating. 

Playing on Thursday next weeks throws a wrench in trying to delay the game by a day or two.

I suppose the league could just cancel TNF and move our game against the Chiefs to Sunday.

35 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Yup.  Some schedule gymnastics would free up the Broncos this week.  Then our game later this year against the Broncos would convert to an open date.  It’s convoluted, but still feasible. 

What is the gymnastics- because the Titans still do not have another open date - so moving the Broncos game - still leaves us with no way to play the Titans and now you have to figure out the Broncos/Pats schedule.

15 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

This is correct. Have to take a pause

Just now, cgang said:

Yes, seems like the NFL is investigating whether Titans players gathered to practice outside the facility.  If so, they forfeit.  Speaking selfishly, I'm bummed if the game isn't played on Sunday.  Heading up to WNY this weekend and was hoping to see the game.    

Just a hunch, but I bet it was a lifting issue.  We saw outbreaks in college programs that ran through “the” gym.  Bench probably did it for a lot of those cases - exhaling directly on the spotter.  

I don’t want the forfeit.  I wonder if the better play is to blow up this week for the entire league and move the whole schedule back a week.  But I also don’t think that our season should be risked by having to play a Titans team that seemingly had a protocol problem that has lead to a large and continuing outbreak. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Steady on, Old Chap.  The situation is developing and I'm sure the NFL is talking to the teams behind the scenes and trying to sort this out.

It would serve no purpose for them to act hastily, or to loop the public in before a clear decision.

I wonder if a decision has been made and the NFL is just slow rolling to give us a little less time to prep for the Chiefs.  Not fair to KC if we’re off on Sunday, and they travel, and we have a week to get ready for their short-week game. 

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

What is the gymnastics- because the Titans still do not have another open date - so moving the Broncos game - still leaves us with no way to play the Titans and now you have to figure out the Broncos/Pats schedule.

It gets our game in and buys time to figure out how to move “chess” pieces to make everything else work. 

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I wonder if a decision has been made and the NFL is just slow rolling to give us a little less time to prep for the Chiefs.  Not fair to KC if we’re off on Sunday, and they travel, and we have a week to get ready for their short-week game. 

Absolutely not.

3 hours ago, ColeB said:

I think at that point they just have to skip the Thursday game for that week.

Cole, I’m not against that at all, I just know with the NFL relying more and more on tv revenue, they don’t want to cancel time slots, if anything, want to find anyway possible to keep the same or more.   I honestly thought if the ncaa was holding their ground which they didn’t and almost no college ball on Saturdays, that was the Hail Mary the NFL needed to offset the in game $ with an additional revenue stream.  That’s not happening and as all of you know it’s about $.  The NFL is going to do whatever they can to maintain their contracts with the networks, even if it means postponing, reorganizing, adding bye’s, whatever.  The networks want it as their big shows aren’t even airing yet and it’s October so the ratings are even more important for their NFL brand.  I can see this season getting extended.  They are going to keep maneuvering games however they can to keep the ship going and when push comes to shove, they’ll insert more byes or stagger and even cut a game or two.

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Bills should be BAU and preparing exactly as they normally would be and as if they game is happening until they are notified otherwise. Even if that is Saturday night.

They really should have cut it to a 14 game schedule, getting rid of the two games determined by your record against the two  conference divisions you aren't playing against.

Then split the league into two separate parts (you could even do more parts with a bye week after each quarter of the season), but let's go with two for now.

If there is an outbreak in Part A then pause that half for the week, but you still get games from the other half of the league (I think splitting it into more parts with the schedule segmented for when the parts within the half of the league switch). Ex. Have the AFC East play the NFC West then bye week break. Then AFC East plays against themselves the next three weeks followed by a bye week or even two (remember only 14 games). Then AFC East plays the AFC West bye week. Then finish the season against the AFC East.

If there is an outbreak, you know in advance which teams have crossover and you can pause that entire part of the league while still playing games in the other segments.

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

My guess is that we'll know by the end of today.    The two-practice rule is in play here, so at worst, the game would need to be shifted.   I think forfeit is definitely on the table, though...

Edited by Lurker

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

My guess is that we'll know by the end of today.    The two-practice rule is in play here, so at worst, the game would need to be shifted.   I think forfeit is definitely on the table, though...

If the NFL starts handing out forfeit wins they may as well just shut the whole damned league down because there will be many more positive tests, leaguewide, in the near future.

15 minutes ago, Beast said:

If the NFL starts handing out forfeit wins they may as well just shut the whole damned league down because there will be many more positive tests, leaguewide, in the near future.

Forfeits should not be awarded for positive tests.  For gross violations of proper protocol, I'm good with a forfeit being awarded.

• Like (+1) 1

I think, at this point, there is a very good chance of a forfeit. But it won't necessarily be directly about the 20 TItans players/coaches who have it. It will happen if the NFL finds some of the TN players did indeed get together to practice during this isolation time. If that happened, those players risked a whole lot for a minimal competitive gain, and now it is time to pay the house.

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

KC game should be moved to the next Monday night Oct 26

Play the Titans Tuesday night Oct 13

You're welcome 

So, what do you do with the KC - Denver game already scheduled for October 25?  Denver and KC have different bye weeks, so moving KC - Buffalo to October 26 involves additional juggling, if it is even possible.

33 minutes ago, Lurker said:

if Titans forfeit, does the league send them a bill for the lost TV revenue for that game?

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Beast said:

it isn’t about positive tests - it is about protocol.

The Pats, Falcons, and Chiefs have positives - they followed protocol and as long as they manage properly- they should be able to use PS players and play.

The Raiders did not follow protocol and had an unmasked gathering - they should lose money via fines and draft picks.  If those players start to test positive - they may need to forfeit, but at this point they should be ok.

The Titans - they have already showed to have not followed protocol.  They brought in a FA without all of the proper days and test results, they had a coach conduct a meeting with no mask, they had several players not wearing the tracking device and lacked data for contract tracing, and now we are hearing that players only got together to practice when they were supposed to be apart and quarantined. 

That to me points to a clear violation and they should forfeit rather than screw things up further.  The initial game against Pittsburgh- could have gone fine with following protocol, but they didn’t and now they have been shut down for over a week and are still having positives.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Now a new option has emerged. No forfeit needed. Let Bills play the Broncos in week 5 - and let Tennessee and NE get a bye. If there is an extra week at the end of the season - they can play - otherwise call it a tie.

I love this option.

I think those who don't the love the option are ones who don't have to game-plan and prepare for a specific opponent.

This question may deserve its own thread, but I'm thinking I probably already started a thread today that didn't need to be its own (press conference). So...

What should the punishment be for the Titans if it is found that a number of their players did indeed get together to practice on their own? They are being investigated for such now. Seems like a very serious violation that may be why they are still getting new positives.

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

Forfeits should not be awarded for positive tests.  For gross violations of proper protocol, I'm good with a forfeit being awarded.

Agreed.  Forfeit has to be the last resort, but a massive outbreak on a team even without a violation would still be a forfeit. There is not enough time to reschedule games. It's not like baseball.