Raiders DT who played 35 snaps vs Bills placed on Reserve/COVID list

Process
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

34 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Do they use the same camera for the one that goes up your bing hole and which do they do first?

Ktulu, if it helps I worked in a medical device company for years for upper and lower GI conditions we did ablation etc., and the upper endoscopy as the other stated does go in through the throat into the areas mentioned, and a colonoscopy Is similar, but the other way as you can imagine.  I’ve observed or supported 1000’s of them and there several different shapes, lengths and widths scopes that search these areas.  If you’ve hit 50, you should have had one.

Its actually not a big deal as they give you the night night sleep milk (propofol), amd when you wake up you don’t even notice anything. No discomfort, no problems at all.  Before I was in GI, I never realized what a no big deal it is to get an upper or lower.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Jeez... so contact-tracing a defensive lineman who test positive the day after a game.

So he was locked up with this guy, gang tackled that guy, was yelling in the grill of that guy.... 35 snaps worth....then jawing on the sideline with those guys.

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ktulu, if it helps I worked in a medical device company for years for upper and lower GI conditions we did ablation etc., and the upper endoscopy as the other stated does go in through the throat into the areas mentioned, and a colonoscopy Is similar, but the other way as you can imagine.  I’ve observed or supported 1000’s of them and there several different shapes, lengths and widths scopes that search these areas.  If you’ve hit 50, you should have had one.

Its actually not a big deal as they give you the night night sleep milk (propofol), amd when you wake up you don’t even notice anything. No discomfort, no problems at all.  Before I was in GI, I never realized what a no big deal it is to get an upper or lower.

I guess I have reached that age where both are required. I have been having some issues with lower abdominal pain so at least they will discover the issue.

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Then with that if they did test on Sunday. (Not sure every team did and the reporting is like they didn’t test him on game day). Then I think we very well are in the clear here 

To my understanding, the current NFL testing protocol excludes game-day testing out of concern about a false positive that might falsely exclude a player.

They may have adopted a special protocol for NE-KC but not league-wide yet (to my understanding)

[Edit: the latter is correct, special protocol for teams with "outbreaks" or exposed to outbreak teams.  See YOLO post below.]

26 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I guess I have reached that age where both are required. I have been having some issues with lower abdominal pain so at least they will discover the issue.

I’ve had the upper done and it was no big deal. They ended up giving me some more of the good stuff because apparently I kinda started stirring during the procedure. I didn’t think I was that loopy after on the way home but I kinda zoned out for what I thought was 30 seconds but was really 30 minutes. Good stuff! 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

No, it's more than likely from today.

Either way, doesn't change the reality that the precedent says nothing will come out of this. 

Actually the test is from yesterday.  It takes a day to get the results - thats why they dont test on game day.

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To my understanding, the current NFL testing protocol excludes game-day testing out of concern about a false positive that might falsely exclude a player.

They may have adopted a special protocol for NE-KC but not league-wide yet (to my understanding)

Day of game testing was added last week for any team with an outbreak or exposed to an outbreak 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Day of game testing was added last week for any team with an outbreak or exposed to an outbreak 

Thanks for the info @YoloinOhio

Ugh for the message

Did they define "outbreak" anywhere?

I can see several areas where this would constitute a "sucks to be Us" scenario for a team that has been careful, but that has to play a team like the Raiders that broke the rules or the Titans that have an outbreak.  Like, um, Our Bills.

It would totally suck if the NFL decided Vegas is having an outbreak, the Bills are tested on Sunday am, and someone gets excluded from the game.

The Titans have 10 players on the covid-19 reserve list, are they gonna get tested on Sunday even if they don't have another player test positive Tues-Sat?

image.thumb.png.269ab0c149e563f91a1e808d3fd1805b.pngimage.png.f134e9614f5396978926b2448a15709f.png

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Endoscopy is the throat I believe.  @PirateHookerMD might know for sure. 

Endoscopy is a generic term used to describe the act of using a flexible high definition scope/camera to look inside you. There are many different endoscopic procedures, the most common in my world are EGD and Colonoscopy. Pulmonologists (lung doctors) do bronchoscopy, ENT does laryngoscopy, etc. All of these are types of endoscopy. 

EGD is sometimes called "upper" endoscopy, and technically is an esophagogastroduodenscopy. This is a fancy way of saying we make you sleepy, go through the mouth,  and look at your esophagus, stomach and duodenum (first part of your small intestine). 

"Lower" endoscopy is colonoscopy. While the prep is not the best, colonoscopy saves lives and the procedure itself is not a big deal. If you are due for colon cancer screening just get it done :)

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ugh. 

Did they define "outbreak" anywhere?

I can see several areas where this would constitute a "sucks to be Us" scenario for a team that has been careful, but that has to play a team like the Raiders that broke the rules or the Titans that have an outbreak.  Like, um, Our Bills.

It would totally suck if the NFL decided Vegas is having an outbreak, the Bills are tested on Sunday am, and someone gets excluded from the game.

The Titans have 10 players on the covid-19 reserve list, are they gonna get tested on Sunday even if they don't have another player test positive Tues-Sat?

Good questions. I do find it interesting that the Vikes facility was shut down last Tuesday until all of their players tested negative. I don’t think they went back until Thursday.  That didn’t happen with the Bills today , even though the timing of the tests were the same. Could be the proximity tracing didn’t warrant it. We will see if anything impacts the Bills tomorrow from this. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good questions. I do find it interesting that the Vikes facility was shut down last Tuesday until all of their players tested negative. I don’t think they went back until Thursday.  That didn’t happen with the Bills today , even though the timing of the tests were the same. Could be the proximity tracing didn’t warrant it. We will see if anything impacts the Bills tomorrow from this. 

It may have had to do with the number of players testing positive?

Timeline

Thurs 9/24: Titans had a PS player who had been in their facility test positive Thurs 9/24, 3 days after testing negative and signing.

Saturday 9/26 Titans had a coach test positive on Saturday 9/26 and he didn't travel with the team, but the Titans didn't reveal the positive test until....

Monday 9/28 Titans announce positive test of their OLB coach/de-facto DC

Tuesday 9/29 Titans announce that 8 personnel (3 players in different units, 5 coaches) have tested positive

Vikes and Titans facilities are closed etc etc.

So I think closing the facility is a function of the number of positive players (8 is clearly "an outbreak").  The Raiders are where the Titans were last Thursday - one player testing positive.

Will it stay at one, as a couple of other teams with a single player testing positive have done?

Will the NFL decide the Raiders are an "outbreak team" and test all the Raiders on Sunday?  Will they test all the Bills?

From reading the memo, it appears a league doctor, Dr Sills, in consultation with unnamed outside "medical experts", will be making the call.

18 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It seems pretty well believed that the Titans violated protocols... What's the point of adding new rules if we haven't seen any real punishment for old rule violation?

The latest communications from the league state that punishments for teams that protocol violations include forfeiture of games and draft choices.  I don't know that this was specified in the original policies developed by the league, but I think they mean business now. 

BTW, I checked the stat line for Hurst from the game.  He apparently didn't get too close the Buffalo's skill players that often.  He had one tackle and one assist.  It's the interior linemen who had most of the contact .

Edited by TigerJ

Geez, Folks. 17 posts in this thread have been removed for personal assumptions on coronavirus. You know who you are, cuz your posts don’t show. 

Please learn the tightrope walk.  It’s not that hard. 

Just don't look down.

😳

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

The latest communications from the league state that punishments for teams that protocol violations include forfeiture of games and draft choices.  I don't know that this was specified in the original policies developed by the league, but I think they mean business now. 

BTW, I checked the stat line for Hurst from the game.  He apparently didn't get too close the Buffalo's skill players that often.  He had one tackle and one assist.  It's the interior linemen who had most of the contact .

Unfortunately, the close contact of a defensive lineman with the OL is not well-measured by tackles/assists of the skill players.

4 hours ago, BillsCuse said:

Actually the test is from yesterday.  It takes a day to get the results - thats why they dont test on game day.

They can do POC  (point of care) tests. Now required for "outbreak" teams or those in contact with them (see YOLO post).

4 hours ago, WideNine said:

Jeez... so contact-tracing a defensive lineman who test positive the day after a game.

So he was locked up with this guy, gang tackled that guy, was yelling in the grill of that guy.... 35 snaps worth....then jawing on the sideline with those guys.

I found this article from the Minn. Star-Tribune Oct. 2, which interviews the Vike's "Infection Control Officer" and details how the NFL is doing contact tracing within facilities and within the game.  Evidently it's very driven by the Kinexion devices they're all required to wear

-Every NFL player, coach and staff member in the 2020 season is outfitted with a proximity device — a “SafeTag sensor” — worn as a wristband, badge or in jerseys to record distance between devices and time in close contact.

-Close contact is defined by the NFL as being within six feet of someone for about 15 minutes, or direct physical contact during practices, games or team travel, or living in the same household, or handling uniforms, equipment or a shared object.

-Sugarman noted “a few moderate-risk contacts” within the Vikings from interactions before and after the game with Titans personnel, adding more coaches and staffers were identified as close contacts than players.

-“On a football field, you’re not going to have close contact, because the average football play lasts about six seconds. However, you do have continual contact for hours during a football game,” Sugarman said. [Note: I found this statement ambiguous.  If anyone can help me parse it, please do! Does he mean coaches in booth or reserve players on sideline sitting side by side for hours?]

-Sugarman called the Vikings’ situation a “case study,” in that sports are so far considered a low-risk activity to spread COVID-19, while football is “probably at the highest risk of all sports” to transmit the virus during play. He added three to five days after contact is generally the time frame in which the virus will show up on a test, meaning the Vikings will be awaiting test results for the next few days while returning to work.

So projecting from that to our Bills....if there were close contacts on the Bills exposed to Hurst during the Raiders game, the critical time interval for testing results will be Weds to Friday (will show up Thurs to Saturday).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

It seems pretty well believed that the Titans violated protocols... What's the point of adding new rules if we haven't seen any real punishment for old rule violation?

This is a guess.  Either

1) they didn't find that the infected Titans were infected thru the protocol violations thus they decided new infection control measures are necessary

2) upon examination, the protocol violations they found are league wide so they're throwing the hammer down league wide

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

-Close contact is defined by the NFL as being within six feet of someone for about 15 minutes.....

-“On a football field, you’re not going to have close contact, because the average football play lasts about six seconds. However, you do have continual contact for hours during a football game,” Sugarman said. [Note: I found this statement ambiguous.  If anyone can help me parse it, please do! Does he mean coaches in booth or reserve players on sideline sitting side by side for hours?]

I thought it meant a distinction from the odd definition of close contact.  The "close" part seems to indicate the consecutive length of time they are in contact, not the actual distance.  The Bills linemen would have had contact with him over the course of hours, but obviously not for 15 consecutive minutes, hence no "close contact" and instead "continual contact for hours".  Being 1 foot away from him for a minute isn't considered close contact, but being 5 feet away for 15 minutes is.

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I said previously rumors were flying that the Titans were inviting FAs off the street for tryouts without testing them first and this would explain why a position coach was the first to test positive.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I said previously rumors were flying that the Titans were inviting FAs off the street for tryouts without testing them first and this would explain why a position coach was the first to test positive.

I just relistened to the podcast that provided the info given to the Vikes GM. It was a PS player who tested positive the day they were scheduled to leave for Minnesota (Saturday). He didn’t travel. Everyone else tested negative. There was a position coach (who we now know is Shane Bowen, also their de facto DC) who Had been in contact with that player, and then held a meeting in a confined area with other players without a mask. If what you say is true, and what Rick Spielman shared is true, they broke two protocols. The league was in Nashville doing a thorough  investigation so I’m sure this was uncovered. 
starts at 7:35 mark if interested 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/spielman-and-hooley/id1477411788?i=1000493085026

Edited by YoloinOhio