Kaepernick An 81 OVR FA QB In Madden 21

H2o

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@H2o

@Royale with Cheese

Royale, I am an old man and I still play.  I prefer it to fantasy football.  No offense at all to fantasy, but FF gets in the way of my enjoyment on SUnday, while Madden lets me take part ad actually control something.

My experience goes back to the 90s...I am simply a casual player who usually loses interests, generally, when the Bills go down for the season?  I am also one of the 2K gusy that curses the day that Madden won the football derby (2005, I believe, wen they became the only game in town).

I also have been watching the youtube reviews from some of the more active Madden Youtubers.

Is it bad compared to years past?  Well, let's just say they didn't make many improvements and the game has its problems.

Should there be two teams over at EA Tiberon working on this game, with one team producing a game every two years?  Yes, but who the hell is going to listen to me on that one?

Should there be more than one company making NFL games...So yes and the NFL is going to have to get over itself on this one.  Competition is a good thing and the vanguard of what these games used to give us can simply be summed up in ESPN NFL 2k5 and Madden 05.  

That said, after nearly 17 years of purchases, and my first purchase coming in '93, how can I help but get this game when I see an overall rating for the Bills at 83 (highest I've seen since my first purchase in 93) and the Pats at 79?!

It's like Cocaine...or really good pasta, take your pick.   

Yeah, I have played the game as well since the initial Sega Genesis days. Back when if someone got injured an ambulance barreled through the rest of the players on the field to carry the injured one away. It was hilarious. I don't really have the time to play anymore. My kids have taken up the torch though. My youngest is into it the most. He plays Ultimate Team as well as the Franchise modes. I'll play against him every so often when he asks. It's not a bad game, 21, imo. They've tweaked some things on defense and in the passing game, but there really isn't much more they can do at this point really. The ratings always make me laugh a bit like the disparity between Tre and Gilmore, and the Kaepernick thing, but they Bills do have a solid overall squad.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s hilarious how Kaepernick triggers some people more than Joe Mixon. 

I know this is a difficult concept to grasp, but did you know that you can actually interact with the topic or a thread without whataboutisms? 

Do you think Kapernick is deserving of a higher rating than 5 NFL starting QB’s? If so, why? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I haven't played since 2005.  It's really gone downhill?  Is there any other football game that's good?

In addition to what's been said, they strip game modes of cool stuff each year it seems like, such that last year you could only be a pro with a QB. Every fun game mode isnt as good as it was 10 years ago

Five years ago, the Cardinals brought both cornerbacks over to the end of the defensive line, abandoning the outside receivers because they werent worried about Kaep's arm. The WRs frantically waved their arms,but Kaep didnt even notice it and handed off up the middle where the rb was stuffed.

The coach that benched him for Gabbert, before doing so, disallowed him from throwing more than 10 yards down the field.

He hasn't set foot on an nfl field in like half a decade 

81 overall tho blm4lyfe

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

Yeah, I have played the game as well since the initial Sega Genesis days. Back when if someone got injured an ambulance barreled through the rest of the players on the field to carry the injured one away. It was hilarious. I don't really have the time to play anymore. My kids have taken up the torch though. My youngest is into it the most. He plays Ultimate Team as well as the Franchise modes. I'll play against him every so often when he asks. It's not a bad game, 21, imo. They've tweaked some things on defense and in the passing game, but there really isn't much more they can do at this point really. The ratings always make me laugh a bit like the disparity between Tre and Gilmore, and the Kaepernick thing, but they Bills do have a solid overall squad.  

Same game for me, H2o...the Sega Genesis...I saw those same ambulances!! 🤣

I fiddled with the MUT stuff/challenges, but brother...I mean...it's like I am the old person with "12:00" blinking on my VCR*

One other note I was going to start a Madden thread a few days ago and I still might.  There really might be just of few of us who would like to comment on the game and especially the Bills in it.  Hell, I would mind reading about what some of you did against the team in the coming weeks game.  

*  VCR stands for Video Cassette Recorder.  It was an electronics device that some of the older TSW members used to watch movies by going to a video store**, renting a movie (or a game), and going back home to watch (or play) it.  The images could be seen by flickering light over the spooled tape in the video cassette.  The best movies were usually sold out by 2 pm on any given Friday, but the good thing is if you went to the back of the store they always had a couple of copies of Army of Darkness so you cold get your boom stick on, with a little bit of sugar, Baby, which was always good.

**  Blockbuster, Video Factory...everywhere, then.  Nowhere now.  Except for one BB. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

22 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

That said, after nearly 17 years of purchases, and my first purchase coming in '93, how can I help but get this game when I see an overall rating for the Bills at 83 (highest I've seen since my first purchase in 93) and the Pats at 79?!

I mean you can download updated rosters to Madden 20.

26 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Dude I don't follow esports that closely. I don't know what every update does

Playing franchise mode is absolutely fun with your friends. And they said they're going to make updates three or four times based on feedback

What are you looking for?

I don't know maybe they could better compete with a 16 yr old game?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean you can download updated rosters to Madden 20.

I don't know maybe they could better compete with a 16 yr old game?

I had that game and it was fun and very well made. I have played it recently and it's nowhere near as good as Madden as a whole in 2020

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So what does Madden do better?

Warcodered, how awesome was it to follow the ball in the air on passing plays in 2k5?

How fantastically great was it to set your own viewing angle?

How much did the announcer dialogue just plain seem real?

How easy and great was it to shift your receivers, or audible, in general?

I should pull it out as I have it in my basement some where and I have an old 360 (Xbox original game, but you could play it on the 360...hell, I have an original Xbox, as well...I really need to throw stuff out).

2 hours ago, H2o said:

https://theundefeated.com/features/colin-kaepernick-returns-to-madden-for-first-time-since-2016/

I know some on the board still play Madden. I know my kids are into it. I'll also play against them every now and again. This made me have a good laugh though. An 81 overall for a QB who hasn't played in 4 years and is a 58% career passer? :lol: Josh is rated at 77 OVR on the game and is the lowest rated starting QB, but the 4 years dormant Kap is the better QB? The 81 OVR rating is the same as Ben Ro and better than 4 more other than Josh. With those being Tannehill, Mayfield, Carr, and Cam. 

I'm sure someone else pointed it out, but his 81 overall rating is actually better than 17 of the 32 starting QB's. Lol.

And for those wondering, his last rating in 2016 was also an 81 overall.

Edited by JustWinPlease

11 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Warcodered, how awesome was it to follow the ball in the air on passing plays in 2k5?

How fantastically great was it to set your own viewing angle?

How much did the announcer dialogue just plain seem real?

How easy and great was it to shift your receivers, or audible, in general?

I should pull it out as I have it in my basement some where and I have an old 360 (Xbox original game, but you could play it on the 360...hell, I have an original Xbox, as well...I really need to throw stuff out).

Easy to do in madden

Madden has multiple viewing angles. Just not in helmet

They also have online franchise to play with friends. Online ultimate team to play with friends

And a new arcade mode called the yard to play with a created guy with friends or by yourself

It's a fun game to play with friends

15 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

I'm sure someone else pointed it out, but his 81 overall rating is actually better than 17 of the 32 starting QB's. Lol.

And for those wondering, his last rating in 2016 was also an 81 overall.

Dang it, you are absolutely correct. I didn't even flip to the 2nd page. They have him better than Kyler Murray, Jarred Goff, Fitz, Darnold, Daniel Jones, Haskins, Burrow, Bridgewater, Trubisky, Drew Lock, and Tyrod whom they have at 69 OVR (And I would see Kaep as being closer to him at this point than an 81 OVR). 

My error in saying Josh was the lowest rated starter, as he is not. They have him somewhere around 20th. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

Dang it, you are absolutely correct. I didn't even flip to the 2nd page. They have him better than Kyler Murray, Jarred Goff, Fitz, Darnold, Daniel Jones, Haskins, Burrow, Bridgewater, Trubisky, Drew Lock, and Tyrod whom they have at 69 OVR (And I would see Kaep as being closer to him at this point than an 81 OVR). 

Do we know how the ratings are attributed? In other words, I assume Goff and Darnold and Allen etc. got their ratings updated this year based on last year's performance, but how do they rate people like Tyrod, who had little playing time last year? Just carry over his previous rating?

3 hours ago, H2o said:

https://theundefeated.com/features/colin-kaepernick-returns-to-madden-for-first-time-since-2016/

I know some on the board still play Madden. I know my kids are into it. I'll also play against them every now and again. This made me have a good laugh though. An 81 overall for a QB who hasn't played in 4 years and is a 58% career passer? :lol: Josh is rated at 77 OVR on the game and is the lowest rated starting QB, but the 4 years dormant Kap is the better QB? The 81 OVR rating is the same as Ben Ro and better than 4 more other than Josh. With those being Tannehill, Mayfield, Carr, and Cam. 

Allen is not the lowest rated starting QB....

Kyler Murray (77),  Jared Goff (76), Joe Burrow (76),  Teddy Bridgewater (75),Ryan Fitzpatrick (74), Sam Darnold (73), Daniel Jones (72), Bears Mitchell Trubisky (72), Drew Lock (70), Dwayne Haskins (70), Gardner Minshew (70), and Tyrod Taylor (69).

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Do we know how the ratings are attributed? In other words, I assume Goff and Darnold and Allen etc. got their ratings updated this year based on last year's performance, but how do they rate people like Tyrod, who had little playing time last year? Just carry over his previous rating?

Not sure as to the exact science of it all, but this is from an article last year.

Smith and Weingarten said that quarterbacks take the most time to rate properly because they have eight different attributes that are exclusive to their position. Mobile quarterbacks like Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson also require extra attention to ensure that they're properly balanced compared to running backs.

https://www.businessinsider.com/madden-20-player-rating-process-adjusters-2019-7#:~:text=The "Madden" development team uses,scouting reports and game footage.

Just now, Crayola64 said:

Allen is not the lowest rated starting QB....

Kyler Murray (77),  Jared Goff (76), Joe Burrow (76),  Teddy Bridgewater (75),Ryan Fitzpatrick (74), Sam Darnold (73), Daniel Jones (72), Bears Mitchell Trubisky (72), Drew Lock (70), Dwayne Haskins (70), Gardner Minshew (70), and Tyrod Taylor (69).

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

My error in saying Josh was the lowest rated starter, as he is not. They have him somewhere around 20th. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have no issue with Kaep being in Madden. I have a big issue with him being graded as an 81. 

But, why should he be? He turned his own tryout last year into a freak show.

Should every player that is inactive for the past four or five years be in the game?

25 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Easy to do in madden

Madden has multiple viewing angles. Just not in helmet

They also have online franchise to play with friends. Online ultimate team to play with friends

And a new arcade mode called the yard to play with a created guy with friends or by yourself

It's a fun game to play with friends

No...you're missing the point.  You have multiple viewing angles...maybe 4-6 in Madden.    In 2k5 you literally could adjust the view, virtually like a projector keystone.  You also could then zoom in or out and save it as your camera setting.  It was an almost infinite camera adjustment.  Note: You didn't miss any point, Buf.  I realized I should have done a better job explaining it.  That is on me.

And I believe in 2k5 the button presses for receiver adjustments were 1 or 2 less, depending.  I would highlight the WR and then set him on his route.  That was it.  I could also just highlight him and move him on the line, no matter what.  Madden locks you in a lot of the time with the receiver's position on the line. 

Very respectfully, B716, you may have missed the part where I stated I have Madden 21 and I have played it.  I also have been playing it since the 90s.

They have added things, but the game, especially Franchise, suffers quite a bit.  

I will still play it and I will still enjoy it.  It is just that it could be better...that's nothing new and obviously very easy to say wit anything.

..the problem is it SHOULD be better.  A lot better.

Peace.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

15 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

No...you're missing the point.  You have multiple viewing angles...maybe 4-6 in Madden.    In 2k5 you literally could adjust the view, virtually like a projector keystone.  You also could then zoom in or out and save it as your camera setting.  It was an almost infinite camera adjustment.  Note: You didn't miss any point, Buf.  I realized I should have done a better job explaining it.  That is on me.

And I believe in 2k5 the button presses for receiver adjustments were 1 or 2 less, depending.  I would highlight the WR and then set him on his route.  That was it.  I could also just highlight him and move him on the line, no matter what.  Madden locks you in a lot of the time with the receiver's position on the line. 

Very respectfully, B716, you may have missed the part where I stated I have Madden 21 and I have played it.  I also have been playing it since the 90s.

They have added things, but the game, especially Franchise, suffers quite a bit.  

I will still play it and I will still enjoy it.  It is just that it could be better...that's nothing new and obviously very easy to say wit anything.

Peace.  

I’m not a gamer, and don’t know much about gaming in general. I lost touch with gaming long ago. Madden is the only game I play at this point in my life. However, I think people who only play Madden might be missing the issue with this game. That’s why game reviews have been so harsh on the new edition. I have friends who are “gamers”, and the games I see them playing look spectacular. Everything about Madden looks weak when considering what today’s consoles are capable of. The physics, graphics, and gameplay are all years behind what a more ambitious developer could release as a football game in 2020. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Peace.  

It's your opinion and you're completely entitled to it. But you can definitely do what i just highlighted. And it's simple

Click B and become the wide receiver on Xbox and motion across the line of scrimmage with the analog. 95% of players are not locked in and you could motion tight ends slot wide receivers and outside guys

4 hours ago, H2o said:

They're actually very similar QBs.

I'd argue Kaep is the better athlete, too.  At least when we last saw him play.

People seem to forget that Kaepernick marched into Lambeau when it was like -5 out and beat the Packers at home in a playoff game!  I'll believe Josh Allen can do that when I see it.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

But, why should he be? He turned his own tryout last year into a freak show.

Should every player that is inactive for the past four or five years be in the game?

He’s technically a free agent. There’s no reason to object to that part. They can have whatever free agents in the game that they want (especially if there is demand). My issue is that he is graded out above half of the starting QBs in the league. I don’t believe that Colin Kapernick is the 16th best QB.

My objection has ZERO to do with politics. I also took issue when Gore received a higher grade than Motor. I watched them both in the same offense and they shouldn’t be within 10 points of each other. Madden has gotten lazy and is basically a monopoly. I didn’t purchase it and I don’t plan on it (although that is subject to change if I’m really bored lol). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

It’s all kinda bull####. They made Daniel Jones terrible last year because.... the internet thought he was a bad pick.

1 minute ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

And Lawrence Taylor off the end to block kicks!

Omg yes.  And on D, if you run a play action pass you basically get sacked by LT before you even have control of the QB.  I actually still have the game and dust it off every football season.  Brings me back to my childhood and gets me amped for the season!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm convinced that no one actually knows how to use this term correctly.  Over rating a player in Madden due to their politics because you think your market will buy it is not "virtue signalling".  

You have a wildly different perspective of what virtue signaling is. Whether it is to remain in power or gain more power, gain revenue or to not lose revenue, or just because you want to be the most liked person in a group and you think doing something that seems virtuous will help that problem, that’s the exact situation the term virtue signaling is created for. EA is nodding to its social justice fans in hopes they will be seen as virtuous and sell more games. What is your definition?  

Keep in mind, these types of terms can go through several different evolutions of meaning as time moves forward. The colloquial use of terms can create completely new meanings, see the term “racism” and how it’s being changed to fit current narratives. So perhaps your idea is a more contemporary understanding where mine could be based on its original meaning and so on and so forth. 

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I haven't played since 2005.  It's really gone downhill?  Is there any other football game that's good?

It was impossible to lose if you used "Nickel - Over Storm Brave" as your defensive play ever down. Shift your D line out wide. Shift your LB's inside. Shift your CB's to press. Shift your safeties to their assignments. Stuffed the run or limited to a short gain. On passing plays, If it wasn't a sack or quick incomplete pass it was a pick. Yeah. Some might say it was boring,  but I won a lot of money on that back in college.