Jags cut Fournette; clears waivers (update - signing with Tampa)

YoloinOhio

29 minutes ago, appoo said:

The last thing I'll say, specifically to culture...wouldn't be asking Fournette to be a leader, which means he can be an ahole all he wants, but he's just a dude who's getting paid 2-3M on a 1 year contract. 

Still, you don’t want him in the locker room if his Jags teammates lobbied to get rid of him.

10 minutes ago, Mr Wild said:

If we are picking stats. Fournette also had over 100 more carries.  If you also wanna count other things Fournette also had over 50 more catches

On 60 more targets.  We can go round and round on this.  I don't think Fournette is a great back, I dont think he is an upgrade from what we already have. 

Well congrats, folks! We made it 15 pages and no one has referred to this disappointing hot-head as "Not a Process Guy"!

That said, I dont want him in our locker room or RB room. BUT if it keeps him out of New England, I'd think about it.

Spite Signing!

We can be the Latte Larry's to New England's Mocha Joe's

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TJC25 said:

Disagree just cause they were 2nd or 3rd round picks doesnt make them good does it? Is zach moss good? We dont know yet. Fournette on field healthy is a 1000 yard rusher a highly talented RB. For one year I'd take it all day. Cause what if he goes for 1200 and 10 TDs or the opposite these are the chances you have to take. moss and Singletary will be here next year

And if he gets 1200 yards and is a total locker room cancer and stunts the growth of the two young backs you signed up to be part of your team for more than 1 year are you still good with that?

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

And if he gets 1200 yards and is a total locker room cancer and stunts the growth of the two young backs you signed up to be part of your team for more than 1 year are you still good with that?

Hahaha I go by facts he Is a 1,000 yard rusher a good RB better then the ones we have now. Is he a cancer idk cause I dont believe everything I read on the internet media flips and scrambles words just to make people look bad. Were you happy about getting diggs? I was. but from the media he was a cancer players didnt like him. He was bad mouthing his QB his coordinator behind the scenes he was lazy in practice. Was it true idk. The videos I've seen here he is dancing good vibes giving a 100 percent in practice

Edited by TJC25
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

And if he gets 1700 all purpose yards, pounds the ball into the endzone so Allen doesn't,  and teaches Moss a thing or two about punishing grown men, are you good with that?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Like someone said earlier I’d expect this is purely to drive the prices up on other teams. Beane doing wizardly things just for fun 

How much could he be "Driving up the price" if a waiver claim on him would have cost 4 million? I think there is legitimate interest here if the price is right so to speak. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/1/2020 at 8:48 AM, TheElectricCompany said:

Kamara doesn't have a single 1000 yard season on his resume.

Bell is a shell of himself.

Henry is one dimensional.

You don't have to agree with it, but it's how I see it.

Just the latest example of a post that makes me wonder how any team other than the Bills has ever won a game.

14 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

How much could he be "Driving up the price" if a waiver claim on him would have cost 4 million? I think there is legitimate interest here if the price is right so to speak. 

You want there to be interest ?? 

Every GM basically sets himself a number for a players worth right? 
If Pittsburgh wants him at 2.1 for the season and the bills and pats are in the 2.5 range it’s likely Pittsburgh never even makes an offer. The difference between league minimum and low ball offers and 4 million on the waiver claim is huge. Every team has a plan for almost every penny of their cap the next 2-4 years. By driving up the price even by 250k or a million can scare and chase other teams away from even trying. Same reason every coach and gm lies in interviews about their positional groups and how happy they are with them, then they add talent within a day or two after. Same reason agents “leak” “news” like this hoping to drive up contracts. 
Fournette is a good player, who put up some decent stats on some really bad offenses. There’s no real downside to buffalo signing him other than taking playing time from motor and moss. But with singletary and moss already here along with the other backs it doesn’t make a ton of sense to bring him in right before the season starts. Jacksonville surely hated him and did him zero favors with the timing of his release.  

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I did not hear this personally but apparently Schefter said this on espn radio -  Schefter didn’t tweet it but FWIW 

Fournette will destroy what Gore did for the rookie RB’s in a matter of weeks. I think he plays lazy and is definitely not worth the money. Kamara on the other hand I am very interested in.

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

You want there to be interest ?? 

Every GM basically sets himself a number for a players worth right? 
If Pittsburgh wants him at 2.1 for the season and the bills and pats are in the 2.5 range it’s likely Pittsburgh never even makes an offer. The difference between league minimum and low ball offers and 4 million on the waiver claim is huge. Every team has a plan for almost every penny of their cap the next 2-4 years. By driving up the price even by 250k or a million can scare and chase other teams away from even trying. Same reason every coach and gm lies in interviews about their positional groups and how happy they are with them, then they add talent within a day or two after. Same reason agents “leak” “news” like this hoping to drive up contracts. 
Fournette is a good player, who put up some decent stats on some really bad offenses. There’s no real downside to buffalo signing him other than taking playing time from motor and moss. But with singletary and moss already here along with the other backs it doesn’t make a ton of sense to bring him in right before the season starts. Jacksonville surely hated him and did him zero favors with the timing of his release.  

I don't want there to be interest. I think that Moss will do on the field what Fournette could do at a close enough level without any drama. But I think that the Bills aren't going to risk their reputation by pulling an offer from a player (players and agents talk to one another about fake offers.) If they have interest it isn't to drum up the price on such a low range deal. 

32 minutes ago, TJC25 said:

Hahaha I go by facts he Is a 1,000 yard rusher a good RB better then the ones we have now. Is he a cancer idk cause I dont believe everything I read on the internet media flips and scrambles words just to make people look bad. Were you happy about getting diggs? I was. but from the media he was a cancer players didnt like him. He was bad mouthing his QB his coordinator behind the scenes he was lazy in practice. Was it true idk. The videos I've seen here he is dancing good vibes giving a 100 percent in practice

Dude he literally fought our entire team in the tunnel last year, what more evidence do you need?

Great he is a 1,000 yard rusher, so was Carlos Hyde- 1,000 yards doesnt make you a good back anymore.   You think he is good, I think he is a waste of talent.  I am glad the Bills dont have interest in him for real.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buff76ers said:

Sign him to a 1 year deal and then trade him at the deadline for a pick or two.  

Well considering the Jags tried all off season to trade him and said they couldn't even get a 6th or even a 7th offered for him, I think thats not a likely scenario

39 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The question you have to ask, is the possible and likely upgrade Fournette would bring on the field worth risking the damage he could do to the locker room and to the younger players in his position? I think it isn't worth the risk for the Bills at the moment. Singletary is a good all around back and I think Moss can do what Fournette can do (big between the tackles runner) at a close enough rate. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

The question you have to ask, is the possible and likely upgrade Fournette would bring on the field worth risking the damage he could do to the locker room and to the younger players in his position? I think it isn't worth the risk for the Bills at the moment. Singletary is a good all around back and I think Moss can do what Fournette can do (big between the tackles runner) at a close enough rate. 

Agree 100% its a risk based analysis.  He isnt worth the risk.  Malcontents who are let go of their team regardless of talent rarely are.  

12 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Fournette will destroy what Gore did for the rookie RB’s in a matter of weeks. I think he plays lazy and is definitely not worth the money. Kamara on the other hand I am very interested in.

The same Gore who apparently felt underutilized and said, out loud, that he'd have had 1k yards last year if the Bills would have given him the ball?

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Dude he literally fought our entire team in the tunnel last year, what more evidence do you need?

Great he is a 1,000 yard rusher, so was Carlos Hyde- 1,000 yards doesnt make you a good back anymore.   You think he is good, I think he is a waste of talent.  I am glad the Bills dont have interest in him for real.  

One is 30 the other is 25 and Aj Green slammed jalen ramsey. Andre Johnson fought Cortland Finnegan. Players get mad and fight happens does it not? You're just spitting B.S. my guy. Here is for your "locker room argument" fact we brought in stefon diggs by all accounts was a bad locker room. Fact we tried to trade for ANTONIO BROWN bad locker room guy. So what makes it different? 

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Agree 100% its a risk based analysis.  He isnt worth the risk.  Malcontents who are let go of their team regardless of talent rarely are.  

Sometimes if you are desperate at a position and you have a malcontent you can take a chance. If this team had a bad RB situation and they took a chance on Leonard then fine you might want that boost in talent. But the Bills have a pair of good young back and decent depth in Yeldon. They just don't need to take such a risk for what is at best a moderate upgrade in talent. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

So to me, whether he said it or not, I’m not sure it means anything. I feel like when we hear the Bills have reached out about a player it never goes anywhere and when they acquire someone it is more out of the blue 

Agree that it probably will amount to nothing but it's better than reading "political" threads or another WR thread.

Just now, TJC25 said:

One is 30 the other is 25 and Aj Green slammed jalen ramsey. Andre Johnson fought Cortland Finnegan. Players get mad and fight happens does it not? You're just spitting B.S. my guy. Here is for your "locker room argument" fact we brought in stefon diggs by all accounts was a bad locker room. Fact we tried to trade for ANTONIO BROWN bad locker room guy. So what makes it different? 

He fought a team not a player.  Youre not changing my opinion of him.  The guy has all the talent in the world and no brains.  On your Diggs comment, he may be a headcase who knows but at the very least he loves football, I dont get that sense ftom Fournette at all.  Its why one guy was traded for a 1st round pick and the other guy is a street free agent right now.  The fact that the Jaguars couldnt get a 5th round pick for him should tell you all you need to know.

We can go back and forth all day or at least until the tweet comes that this isnt even a consideration for the team.

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So if the Bills were to sign him, we would now have to hand him a beer, rather than tossing it to (at) him?

With Covid you would still need to throw it to maintain social distancing. ;)

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He fought a team not a player.  Youre not changing my opinion of him.  The guy has all the talent in the world and no brains.  On your Diggs comment, he may be a headcase who knows but at the very least he loves football, I dont get that sense ftom Fournette at all.  Its why one guy was traded for a 1st round pick and the other guy is a street free agent right now.  The fact that the Jaguars couldnt get a 5th round pick for him should tell you all you need to know.

We can go back and forth all day or at least until the tweet comes that this isnt even a consideration for the team.

Again no sense one plays a position of need in "today's NFL". And a fights a fight no matter what. Idc about changing your opinion. Cause by your accounts zach moss is as good as fournette a guy who hasn't took a nfl snap yet. We arent in the practices we arent in the rooms. We dont know *****.this could be real or fake interest who knows. You saying it's my football sense is like me telling a bomb defuser cut the green wire it's my sense. 

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well considering the Jags tried all off season to trade him and said they couldn't even get a 6th or even a 7th offered for him, I think thats not a likely scenario

True but I trust Beane more than those morons in Jax.  

Genuinely don't know what to think about this...my first reaction was absolutely not interested and don't need his bad vibes on the field or in the locker room. I really liked Singletary in his rookie year and had targeted Moss as a guy I wanted the Bills to draft for months prior. However, the more I think about it:

1) Fournette is a young, talented player whose play has likely suffered from bad players around him and even worse coaching. This Bills offense should be light years better than any he's been a part of before and Fournette wouldn't have to carry the offense on his own (and therefore face lighter fronts). More importantly, we have strong coaching and a positive culture that could handle a move like this. 

2) I'm not sure I want Fournette on the Bills, but I definitely don't want him on the Patriots. Bad memories of the Blount years...

3) If Fournette is willing to play on a one year deal for $2 million, then we can cut Yeldon and it's basically a wash. Ultimately, it's up to him and whether he wants to dance around with Cam or win an AFC East title with us. 

4) Especially this year under the circumstances, it might not be a bad idea to acquire as much talent as possible because players will inevitably miss games throughout the season. 

Still don't know if I am interested (I really like the Singletary/Moss backfield) and it would have to be on a bargain deal, but I wonder if we might start to see the Bills take fliers on reclamation projects/unwanted players like the Pats used to. I think we have the leadership and culture to make it work if they genuinely want Fournette. 

2 hours ago, appoo said:

Another stat btw - 

Singletary only faced an 8 man box on 5% of his rushes. 

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#percent-eight-defenders

The lowest of any back in the NFL. His averages, his efficiency numbers, they are going to take a HUGE hit this upcoming season.  For comparison sake, Fournette faced an 8 man box 30% of the time. Around 10th highest in the league. Consider that Singletary averaged 5 yards per carry, while Fournette averaged 4.3.  

Frank Gore faced an 8 man box 37% of the time, and averaged 3.6 YPC. 

If Fournette does become a Bill, you're looking at a 1500 yard back. He's not going to face nearly as many 8 man boxes with Diggs here, and Allen improving his deep ball, and our TEs getting better. 

So that  stat can show more than one thing with the main thing being Singletary was viewed more as a receiving weapon where Gore was a one trick warhorse.

You would think with Gores tenure he would be a better blocking back and that would open things up for him.

You also need to look at personnel groupings that each back was marched out with if FG was out with 2TE formation more or DS was in 4WR pkg more that makes a difference too.

My eyes told that DS was not going down on first contact and ran tough.