Unpopular Bills takes, Past and present.

Not sure if this counts as one now, now that we're seeing the diametric opposite, which is just what competence, intelligence, preparedness, etc., in our front-office and ownership can do to a team.  But since a decent amount of fans, at least at the time, insisted otherwise, I'll throw out this: our parity-defying 17-year Playoff drought from 2000 through 2016 wasn't due to the Patriots' dominance (certainly didn't help effectively beginning the season 0-2) OR some "curse"- it was due to routine and abject ineptitude of the leaders in charge, many/most of whom never belonged there.  Whether it was Donahoe or 80-year-old and never-been-a-GM-before Levy or the nebulous "Inner Circle" (Brandon,  Modrak, Jauron, etc.) or Buddy Nix, who was hired in large part because Ralph Wilson "had heard of him before," those sort of poor decisions naturally resulted in perennial disappointment for our fanbase. 

The results on the field spoke for themselves but you don't institute 'Cash to the Cap,' hire retread head coaches not particularly successful in their first go-around, execute a trade of a HOF-talent and eventual inductee LT, overvalue the RB position visa vi the draft (repeatedly), etc., and produce positive results.

Edited by Midwest1981
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Midwest1981 said:

Not sure if this counts as one now, now that we're seeing the diametric opposite, which is just what competence, intelligence, preparedness, etc., in our front-office and ownership can do to a team.  But since a decent amount of fans, at least at the time, insisted otherwise, I'll throw out this: our parity-defying 17-year Playoff drought from 2000 through 2016 wasn't due to the Patriots' dominance (certainly didn't help effectively beginning the season 0-2) OR some "curse"- it was due to routine and abject ineptitude of the leaders in charge, many/most of whom never belonged there.  Whether it was Donahoe or 80-year-old and never-been-a-GM-before Levy or the nebulous "Inner Circle" (Brandon,  Modrak, Jauron, etc.) or Buddy Nix, who was hired in large part because Ralph Wilson "had heard of him before," those sort of poor decisions naturally resulted in perennial disappointment for our fanbase. 

The results on the field spoke for themselves but you don't institute 'Cash to the Cap,' hire retread head coaches not particularly successful in their first go-around, execute a trade of a HOF-talent and eventual inductee, overvalue the RB position visa vi the draft (repeatedly), etc., and produce positive results.

Yeah, I never joined forums like this, or talked much football with fellow Bills fans during the drought because that opinion was very unpopular. Any criticism of the franchise being a train wreck was taken very personally by most fans. Somehow, good things were just around the corner (even though we didn’t have a pro roster), and any criticism of management was just being negative. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Poz and London Fletcher were both excellent linebackers no matter how many times Bills fans claim they only made tackles "5 yards down field".  Neither player was Ray Lewis but that doesn't mean they sucked.

Bills fans will always cherish marginal NFL talents and resent blue chip players for making millions of dollars playing a kid's game.

This is 100% true.

Bills fans love the underdog story, and seem to enjoy trading away their best players for draft picks that may work harder and want to be in Buffalo more than the talent that was here.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Midwest1981 said:

The results on the field spoke for themselves but you don't institute 'Cash to the Cap,' hire retread head coaches not particularly successful in their first go-around, execute a trade of a HOF-talent and eventual inductee, overvalue the RB position visa vi the draft (repeatedly), etc., and produce positive results.

We spent 13 combined years of Quarterbacking on JP Losman (2005-2006), Trent Edwards (2007-2009), Ryan Fitzpartick (2010-2012), EJ Manuel (2013), Kyle Orton (2014) and Tyrod Taylor (2015, 2016, 2017). 

Over a decade trying to win with backup caliber QB's, running the ball and playing defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Midwest1981 said:

The results on the field spoke for themselves but you don't institute 'Cash to the Cap,' hire retread head coaches not particularly successful in their first go-around, execute a trade of a HOF-talent and eventual inductee LT, overvalue the RB position visa vi the draft (repeatedly), etc., and produce positive results.

"Russ and I scanned a list of possible candidates," Wilson said. "We didn't know them. I didn't know them. I don't think Russ did. We narrowed it down to two candidates for the job of general manager of football, two in-house candidates." - John Guy (Dick Jauron's failed Pro Personnel man) and Buddy Nix. 

We looked down the hallway for a GM because 30 years earlier it worked with Polian (who you fired anyways Ralph). 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Poz and London Fletcher were both excellent linebackers no matter how many times Bills fans claim they only made tackles "5 yards down field".  Neither player was Ray Lewis but that doesn't mean they sucked.

Bills fans will always cherish marginal NFL talents and resent blue chip players for making millions of dollars playing a kid's game.

Yes, Fletcher never deserved that rap. One of the better drought-era players.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Midwest1981 said:

Let's not forget placing a higher value on dbs than any other position. ;)

You should post more often.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

I always believed Aaron Schobel was over rated.  He put up some solid numbers, but I thought a lot of time was garbage time production. I am trying to think back of a huge game changing play, but off the top of my head can't.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Drafting RB's and DB's in the first round almost every year during that period was another reason why the Bills were terrible. McGahee (a first round pick) was traded for two #rd round picks and a 7th rounder, Lynch was traded for a 4th rounder. I forget about Whitner (don't remember if his contract expired or was traded), when we could of had Ngata instead. A lot of dumb decisions back then.

IMO, the Bills should of tanked for a couple of years after Bledsoe was released and built the team up the right way, instead of the path they went, which they ended up going 6-10/7-9 almost every year.

The flaw in the draft strategy was spending 1st round draft capital on press cover corners and then wasting them in soft zone defenses.

if you are commited to zone, use lower picks to find CBs good at zone coverage

The disconnect between the skill set of players acquired and how they were to be used has been a major problem during the 20 year drought.

Edited by spartacus
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, boco357 said:

I always believed Aaron Schobel was over rated.  He put up some solid numbers, but I thought a lot of time was garbage time production. I am trying to think back of a huge game changing play, but off the top of my head can't.

I disagree. Often he was really the only player on the team with any pass rushing ability. Sometimes they would line him up so wide he was almost on the sideline. Then they would at times drop him into coverage. At the beginning I do admit that he was rather one dimensional, but he really came around. He would have made much more of an impact n a team with good players and decent coaches.

The Bills were of course playing from behind quite often and teams would be running out the clock, thus giving him less opportunities for sacks.

I thought AS was a very fine player, and would gladly agree to disagree.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Let's not forget placing a higher value on dbs than any other position. ;)

You should post more often.  :thumbsup:

Which is the way defenses in the league are going at the moment.... the Bills were 20 years ahead of their time ;)

11 minutes ago, spartacus said:

The flaw in the draft strategy was spending 1st round draft capital on press cover corners and then wasting them in soft zone defenses.

if you are commited to zone, use lower picks to find CBs good at zone coverage

The disconnect between the skill set of players acquired and how they were to be used has been a major problem during the 20 year drought.

Yep. Because other than Nix - Gailey (and they flip flopped on what defense they were running the first two years) we never had a Coach and GM who were aligned until this regime. 

I have said it before but it was an organisational and institutional failure to understand what it takes and commitment to doing what it takes to win. It was more than a collection of bad individual decision in drafting and signing it was a failure to institute a framework that prevents those bad decisions. 

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If we are talking unpopular takes that are still unpopular..... Stephon Gilmore was a really good Bill. He didn't give up, or avoid contact or any of the other crazy accusations. Nor does he get fewer penalties on him because he plays in New England. Other than his rookie year (which is understandable) his highest penalty count came in 2018 as a Patriot.

McD let him walk and then McD and Beane blew a third round comp pick by keeping a couple of street free agents on the squad.

9 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I'm not buying all these Marv Levy being one of the most overrated coaches in NFL history takes because to me he doesn't get major recognition throughout the NFL community like when you hear names like Belicheck, Lombardi, Joe Gibbs and so on and so on.  Is he beloved by Bills fans?  Absolutely.  Should he be?  Absolutely.  But I don't think from a league wide perspective he is overrated nor underrated.  I think he's just one of those guys who has his rightful place in NFL history.  He was a very good coach but not one of the all-time giants.

My take is that these Levy is overrated takes come from salty Bills fans who are still angry about the four Super Bowl losses 30 years later.  

He was enshrined in Canton far faster than Bill Cowher and Jimmy Johnson - guys that actually won SuperBowls.  So I think he is plenty overrated by more than just Bills fans.

While I can't prove it (no one can either way), I don't buy the narrative that Adrian Wilson's hit which concussed Trent Edwards in week 5 of the 2008 season is the reason he failed to become a franchise QB.  I think it's a little lazy to assume he would have, especially when even those who attribute the hit to Edwards' career demise admit he arguably had the best game of his career in the very next game he played, week 7 at home against the Chargers.

Even though the Bills started 4-0 in 2008, in retrospect it was schedule-aided; expected Playoff teams like the Seahawks & Jaguars had terrible years, we had to mount a comeback against a bad Raiders team, and the Rams finished with the second pick in the draft.  And while Edwards played well, he was far from a prolific passer- he had exactly 4 TD passes (through 4 games) coming into that game against Arizona.

Edwards revealed a major liability a month later in that Monday night game where we hosted Cleveland- the Browns dropped 7 into coverage and he was lost, throwing 3 picks.  And he never had the requisite moxie and fearlessness you just have to have at least some of to succeed as an NFL starting QB, too often proving his penchant for checking it down.  "Captain Checkdown" was a real thing.  Edwards as a franchise QB probably was not and never was.

Edited by Midwest1981
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Midwest1981 said:

While I can't prove it (no one can either way), I don't buy the narrative that Adrian Wilson's hit which concussed Trent Edwards in week 5 of the 2008 season is the reason he failed to become a franchise QB.  I think it's a little lazy to assume he would have, especially when even those who attribute the hit to Edwards' career demise admit he arguably had the best game of his career in the very next game he played, week 7 at home against the Chargers.

Even though the Bills started 4-0 in 2008, in retrospect it was schedule-aided; expected Playoff teams like the Seahawks & Jaguars had terrible years, we had to mount a comeback against a bad Raiders team, and the Rams finished with the second pick in the draft.  And while Edwards played well, he was far from a prolific passer- he had exactly 4 TD passes (through 4 games) coming into that game against Arizona.

Edwards revealed a major liability a month later in that Monday night game where we hosted Cleveland- the Browns dropped 7 into coverage and he was lost, throwing 4 picks.  And he never had the requisite moxie and bravery you just have to have at least some of to succeed as an NFL starting QB, too often proving his penchant for checking it down.  "Captain Checkdown" was a real thing.

That might have been unpopular for a few weeks in 2008 but I think everyone now accepts it as a fact. 

Edited by GunnerBill

Just now, GunnerBill said:

That might have been unpopular for a few weeks in 2008 but I think everyone know accepts it as a fact. 

Admittedly it's not as common anymore but sometimes you can still come across this take, that the fate of our franchise the last dozen years was forever changed by that early-game hit in the desert.

5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Unpopular Takes:

1. The Bills screwed up the Jason Peters situation. I don't care that they renegotiated his deal once before. The fact that Derrick Dockery was making $7 million a year, and Langston Walker was making $5 million a year, when Jason Peters was making $3.25M was absurd. Funny how the Philadelphia Eagles were able to get a contract done immediately. Russ Brandon standing up in front of the media in 2009 saying he had no idea where Peters was, and that he hadn't heard from him since the 2008 season ended. And then seeing PFT quote sources saying the Bills got fleeced. 

Fans largely sided with the organization, saying Peters was a fat, out of shape slob and that the Bills made him into what he was. Rinky Dink organization. Peters is a HOF LT. 

2. Fans sided with Doug Marrone and EJ Manuel when the Bills traded Steve Johnson. I hated that trade. Somehow the guy that turned down Free Agency to stay with the Bills, and led the Bills in receiving 3-years was now too erratic of a route runner for disciplinarian Marrone and EJ. Plus, the coddling of Sammy Watkins started then too, couldn't have Sammy face any competition.  

Fans tuned on Steve Johnson, his "antics", what a dropped pass and a shirt that said "why so serious?". I know how ghastly. 

And I ripped the Bills for the Marrone hire to begin with. Again, Russ Brandon promised a no-stone unturned search for a HC. And what we got was 5-days in Arizona. 

Johnson was a good story and somehow he was able to beat Revis consistently. 

But that drop in OT against the Steelers was unforgivable. 

5 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Aaron Schobel was NOT a garbage time sack artist.

Rian Lindell is in the same tier as Steve Christie

Brian Moorman should be on the Wall

Stevie Johnson was overrated 

London Fletcher was underrated 

Schobel was a great player and deserves to be on the wall.

Moorman does not.

Fletcher was overrated.  Rare an impact play did he make.

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Isn't a jersey also team gear? I've never understood the jersey's are only for kids crowd.

Yes, I wear jersey's on game day. 

Adults can wear jerseys. My point was and the other poster agreed, must be on the team currently or a great player. You can't wear a CJ Spiller jersey in 2019.

Team gear is sweathiry or Hoodia with just a logo

7 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

If Whaley was not as bad as people in Buffalo think, why hasn't he landed another good job elsewhere in the NFL?  The XFL, really?  The professionals in the NFL know him and their actions are proof enough for me.  The numbers tell the story for Bill Polian.  His record is 229 wins and 138 losses as a GM with his three different teams.  All three teams had more wins than losses during his time with them.  His teams only missed the playoffs 7 times during his 23 years as a GM.  In Buffalo during his tenure, the team only missed the playoffs twice ( his first two years ).  His record was 69 and 42 in Buffalo with 8 playoff wins.  So much for being drastically overrated.   If Beane can even approach those numbers, we should all be happy campers.

I think a big reason Whaley doesnt have an NFL job was him saying something along the lines of humans shouldnt play football

19 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Because I think he was at best average at drafting, not just in Buffalo, but Indy too. The best 2 players he ever drafted were consensus #1 overalls in Bruce and Manning. Give him credit for Getting Andre Reed in the 4th round. He built those teams in a pre-salarycap era largely by paying Jim Kelly the highest salary ever for an NFL player.

Essentially, I think a lot of Polian's success was luck of getting franchise QB's and elite talent at the top of drafts. And the fact that neither the Bills nor the Colts won anywhere near as much as they should have is the result of his weaknesses. He had a ton of mid round picks that never even ended up playing a game. Granted, there was a lot more rounds in those days , but if he didn't need the picks he should have done something more valuable with them.

Edit: I think the fact that he didn't build the Bills on a salary cap in Buffalo, and that he was unable to build a balanced team in Indy under a cap is further indictment.

What’s pretty funny in this post is that you call Polish overrated because he drafted great blue chip players and franchise QB’s. Maybe that’s less “whys he’s overrated” and more “this is how you win a lot.” 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What’s pretty funny in this post is that you call Polish overrated because he drafted great blue chip players and franchise QB’s. Maybe that’s less “whys he’s overrated” and more “this is how you win a lot.” 

Read it again.

He didn't draft Kelly. He joined a team where a Franchise QB was there and it took the highest contract ever to get him signed. You don't call someone a great negotiator if they pay the maximum every time.

With Peyton Manning, it was an obvious decision that every GM in his position would have made, backed up by the pre-draft analysis I posted. How much credit do you want to give him for drafting the consensus #1 on a team that desperately needed him, with the #1 pick. It's not like he moved up to get him or found a diamond in the rough. Ryan Leaf's mother would have drafted Peyton first overall.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don't think anyone, ever, has said being Polish is overrated.  I don't even think its rated.  

31 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I think a big reason Whaley doesnt have an NFL job was him saying something along the lines of humans shouldnt play football

That and he had no ability to handle the media and represent a franchise.  The way tossed the Pegulas under the bus before getting canned sealed his fate as director of pro personnel or nothing.  

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

That and he had no ability to handle the media and represent a franchise.  The way tossed the Pegulas under the bus before getting canned sealed his fate as director of pro personnel or nothing.  

Yea, it's a bit strange that he had no public speaking ability and just seemed like very much an introvert. Seems odd to be able to rise up the ranks in an industry as public as the NFL without those skills.

Edited by BullBuchanan

Doug Flutie was never going to win us games that mattered because he didn't have the ability to win big games. He never won a playoff game and rode our defense the whole time. He alienated the veterans on the team and accelerated the turnover process from a team who won AFC East titles to a team that couldn't even come close to winning one. It never was RJ vs. Flutie... it was the inability for the Bills to draft a franchise QB and instead they chose to reach for Flutie. 

Just now, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

The biggest reason is that he sucked at his job.  We all need to stop kidding ourselves.  Even though he was a nice guy that people liked, he was terrible.

Nah he wasn't terrible. He wasn't good either. But he wasn't terrible. He has had two GM interviews so the league clearly doesn't think he was terrible. 

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The HOF is a popularity contest as well.  Joe Namath shouldn't be in there too.

Namath is in the HOF and Ken Stabler isn't. IMO that's one of the most egregious examples of your point. 

We had 'Broadway Joe,' but not 'Stabler Street.'

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boco357 said:

I think Schoebel would have been a great #2 DE. One thing I’ll say in his defense, he didn’t have good DE’s playing along side him.

My favorite play from Schoebel was his one-handed INT against Brady which he returned for a TD. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think his college tape displayed a level of natural inaccuracy (that is inaccuracy not explainable by an obvious technical issue) that I would not have been comfortable drafting. It has show itself in the NFL too at times, but when he really gets in rhythm and the ball is in his hands he has shown he can be a consistent and accurate thrower. It is why I am absolutely against any suggestion that the way we develop Josh is by babying him, only asking him to throw 25 times a game and run it relentlessly. I don't think you will ever develop this guy that way. You have to have him in rhythm and throwing. His decision making did worry me too, that worries me less now. I think he is a bit of a reckless gunslinger at times but some of his best plays come when he does that. The one area I completely missed in my evaluation of him was how dangerous he is with his legs. I totally missed on that. The other faults that I saw are still there and while I worry about them less now, they would still looking back at the college tape have put me off drafting him. That said, I am pretty optimistic with where he is at. If he can take another step this year he may well be the guy.

Thank you for the reply and astute observations.  Glad you are optimistic and interesting how you could see a great way to get him in a rhythm to be even better.  I am not blowing smoke - I respect your  opinion and wanted to see your take - sorry I have been offline all day - TGIF to one and all and Go Bills!

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Are you trying to be funny?  Little QBs need love too!

HA, HA :P

Figured it had been 20 years since the debate, so all of the edge had worn off by now. The Bills were TERRIBLE at choosing QBs from Todd Collins on, and that probably cost us years and years in itself.

Glad those days are over and the second guessing and the turmoil.