2020 NFL Draft: Round 1 discussion

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Couldn't disagree more. We need to expand this pathetic 17 pts per game offense.  We're not going to do that with any of these overrated 2nd round edge guys. Diggs would be the only defensive guy I'd love at 54. If someone like Dobbins, Taylor, Mims or Claypool are there you go after them depending on Beane's board.

We are going to agree to disagree, which is fine. They have no glaring needs so, outside of a K or P in Round 2, I will not be disappointed with their selection.

9 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't think that's true at all.

We really need help at DE, OT and LB.

Those aren’t “needs”. 

A team with Hughes and Addison at EDGE, with Murphy and a draft pick from last year as depth, with Jefferson as an inside/outside chess piece don’t “need” an EDGE.  We could definitely use one though. 

A team with Dawkins, Ford. Nsehke and Williams at OT does not “need” an OT.  We, maybe, could use one depending on Ford’s development at RT.  

A team with Edmunds and Milano, that plays only two linebackers half the team, does not “need” a LB. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We don't have anyone young to develop behind Feliciano and Spain. Morse with his concussion history could use a young backup as well. It isn't an immediate need but neither is any position.

WR and RB are immediate needs

18 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't think that's true at all.

We really need help at DE, OT and LB.

DE - We have 3 decent (albeit old) NFL starters and a great special teamer

OT - We have a good LT, a young RT who improved a lot last year, a good swing tackle in Nsekhe, and another potentially good RT in Williams if he returns to form somewhat

LB - We have 2 amazing young players, a solid veteran starter and good depth (assuming Vosean doesn't completely suck)

I'd love it if we could add some high upside youth at DE, but I definitely wouldn't consider that a pressing need. We could come away from this draft without a single DE, OT or LB and I'd be completely fine with it.

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Those aren’t “needs”. 

A team with Hughes and Addison at EDGE, with Murphy and a draft pick from last year as depth, with Jefferson as an inside/outside chess piece don’t “need” an EDGE.  We could definitely use one though. 

A team with Dawkins, Ford. Nsehke and Williams at OT does not “need” an OT.  We, maybe, could use one depending on Ford’s development at RT.  

A team with Edmunds and Milano, that plays only two linebackers half the team, does not “need” a LB. 

I disagree with all of that.

Hughes is undersized and on the wrong side of 30, Addison has never had a 10 sack season and Murphy is not a pass-rusher.

You've got to be able to get after QB's and the Bills pass rush looks anemic right now.

Dawkins is fine, but Nsheke can't stay healthy and at no point has Ford shown the athleticism to play Tackle in this league.

The #1 thing the Bills need to do is to protect that blue chip QB they've been waiting 20 years for and right now they have 1 reliable OT on their roster.

And when you only have one good 'backer on your roster, you need another one, no matter what defense you're running.

McDermott is good at maximizing his players but when you have real holes in your front 7 and your OLine, I think those are needs to address.

Ok, so I am watching the recap of the draft... Steve Smith has got to be either drunk, high, or the dumbest person on TV. Maybe all 3. He was one of my absolute favorite players when he played, but my goodness, he is pure garbage as a commentator.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We don't have anyone young to develop behind Feliciano and Spain. Morse with his concussion history could use a young backup as well. It isn't an immediate need but neither is any position.

Tyler Biadasz in the third to sit and learn  in 2020 and take over from Morse eventually is what I would like to see...

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

WR and especially RB...the two positions I don't want them taking in the 2nd.

Gimme an Edge rusher, CB, or one of those 'Buffalo Nickel' players (Chinn or Dugger). They need a complementary RB, not a starter. No need for one in the 2nd. They invested ample draft capital in Stefon Diggs. Time to open up the passing attack and get him the ball.

yes lets add a 24 year old project Safety/LB to the best secondary in the league and best safety duo in the league 

total waste of a pick. we spent so much money on the defense in the offseason, this is a make or break year for Allen and a CB or DE isn't going to help him develop. get him more weapons, end of discussion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Couldn't disagree more. We need to expand this pathetic 17 pts per game offense.  We're not going to do that with any of these overrated 2nd round edge guys. Diggs would be the only defensive guy I'd love at 54. If someone like Dobbins, Taylor, Mims or Claypool are there you go after them depending on Beane's board.

Agree 100.  Brown and Beasley are nice complimentary receivers.  But they were blanketed in many games.  Diggs will open things up.  But we so need more offense.  Tyler Johnson from Minnesota is excellent.  Him Mims Claypool Chenault Edwards Swift Taylor Dobbins all would be a big help to the offense.  The O line will be good enuf.  We can draft a big time O lineman next year in the 1st round.  If we really want a big time DE, make a play to sign Clowney after the draft.  We have the cap space.   A top offensive skill position player gives the team the most value in the 2nd round relative to our needs right now.  We don't need a CB 2, DE or OL as much as another gamechanger on offense.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Simon said:

I disagree with all of that.

Hughes is undersized and on the wrong side of 30, Addison has never had a 10 sack season and Murphy is not a pass-rusher.

You've got to be able to get after QB's and the Bills pass rush looks anemic right now.

Dawkins is fine, but Nsheke can't stay healthy and at no point has Ford shown the athleticism to play Tackle in this league.

The #1 thing the Bills need to do is to protect that blue chip QB they've been waiting 20 years for and right now they have 1 reliable OT on their roster.

And when you only have one good 'backer on your roster, you need another one, no matter what defense you're running.

McDermott is good at maximizing his players but when you have real holes in your front 7 and your OLine, I think those are needs to address.

Agreed to disagree.  You’re usually not finding an OT in the 2nd or 3rd Round that is going to step in and out-play the OT you drafted high last year, who should make a jump in his second year.   If he doesn’t, he doesn’t, but the investment has been made in Ford.  If we were drafting in the Top 10, sure, absolutely grab an OT.  I’ll never whine about us drafting OL, so if they take an OT, so be it, but you’re probably better off looking for G/C’s where we’re drafting this year.  

We have 5 EDGE players, counting Jefferson.  It’s not a need, but can certainly be youth-infused and upgraded.  Hughes and Addison are still good players and pass rushers typically play at a high level into their mid 30s. 

Edmunds/Milano are 3 down LBers.  Klein is the other starter.   Half the time we have a Secondary player at LB.  We also have Matakevich, Joseph, Thompson and Dodson on the roster. 

I just don’t see how forcing a need pick at non-need positions helps us more than taking a game breaker at WR and RB, or a stud secondary piece.  Those are likely the positions that will align with BPA, and if a pass rusher is BPA...awesome, take him.  

This team should draft BPA all day, because there are no true needs. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

I thought the first round fell really well for the Bills tbh. The biggest needs at Edge, WR, CB, and SAF, RB all have extremely good depth still. We should be able to get a good player regardless of the direction we go in.

Just looking at the position of needs there are

RB- Dobbins, Taylor, Akers, Swift (4)

WR- Shenault, Mims, Pittman, Claypool, Higgins(5)

CB- Fulton, Diggs, Jaylon Johnson, Hall, Dantzler(5)

Edge- Gross Matos, Epenesa, Weaver, Uche, Okwara(5)

SAF- Delpit, Winfield, McKinney, Davis, Chinn, Duggar (6)

At positions of need there are 25 guys that could be legitimate options at 54 alone. Meaning we should be able to get a really good player at 54 that they really like.

This doesnt even include other positions we could take a guy just because hes too good a player to pass up like Josh Jones OT Houston, Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State, Lloyd Cushenberry OG, Logan Wilson LB Wyoming, Zack Baun LB Wisconsin, Ross Blacklock DT TCU, Neville Gallimore DT Oklahoma

Should be able to stay at 54 unless they really like a guy on this list that they feel is worthy of trading up for. It will be a longer wait but we are still going to get a really good player.

Out of the players you listed I hope Mims, Claypool, Gross Matos, Epenesa, Uche, or Diggs drops to us... 

The 2nd round tomorrow will be very interesting...

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Agree 100.  Brown and Beasley are nice complimentary receivers.  But they were blanketed in many games.  Diggs will open things up.  But we so need more offense.  Tyler Johnson from Minnesota is excellent.  Him Mims Claypool Chenault Edwards Swift Taylor Dobbins all would be a big help to the offense.  The O line will be good enuf.  We can draft a big time O lineman next year in the 1st round.  If we really want a big time DE, make a play to sign Clowney after the draft.  We have the cap space.   A top offensive skill position player gives the team the most value in the 2nd round relative to our needs right now.  We don't need a CB 2, DE or OL as much as another gamechanger on offense.   

So let me get this straight, it makes more sense to get a 4th WR or a backup RB than a CB2, or a rotational Edge rusher who can possibly slide into Hughes role or Addisons role when they move on which is going to be soon because they're older players. There is no WR we draft that is moving into Diggs, Browns or Beasley's spot. You may find a RB to unseat Singletary but do we want to or do  we just want a compliment? The smart money would be to continue to build the offensive and DL, also the corner position. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I just don’t see how forcing a need pick at non-need positions helps us more than taking a game breaker at WR and RB, or a stud secondary piece.  Those are likely the positions that will align with BPA, and if a pass rusher is BPA...awesome, take him.

I'm not pushing for them to force anything, I've always been a BPA guy and still am.

I just think we have a couple real issues at critical positions.

6 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Out of the players you listed I hope Mims, Claypool, Gross Matos, Epenesa, Uche, or Diggs drops to us... 

The 2nd round tomorrow will be very interesting...

why fade on a RB for a corner tho? 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

So let me get this straight, it makes more sense to get a 4th WR or a backup RB than a CB2, or a rotational Edge rusher who can possibly slide into Hughes role or Addisons role when they move on which is going to be soon because they're older players. There is no WR we draft that is moving into Diggs, Browns or Beasley's spot. You may find a RB to unseat Singletary but do we want to or do  we just want a compliment? The smart money would be to continue to build the offensive and DL, also the corner position. 

the edge rusher thing make sense... we dont need another corner tho. we need TD's.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Good, Lamb gone.

The  best part of Lamb not making it to 22 is we don't have to spend the next four months listening to the ridiculous concept that a team built to make a run now -- a team primarily lacking a true 'must be accounted' for #1 receiver -- could have had a guy who is is unknown in the NFL and will have an undermined learning curve INSTEAD of a young guy who is a proven, viable, hungry, must-be-accounted-for receiver.

I swear sometimes I think fans just want to catch management making bad decisions so they have something else to whine about. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

the edge rusher thing make sense... we dont need another corner tho. we need TD's.

Well, Diggs is the CB I'd like to take in the 2nd, but I'm more fond of a WR or DE.

I think we can find a RB in later rounds that we can use... but I'm not so sure we could find a Mims or Claypool in later rounds (esp. Mims).

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

Agree to disagree then, the Diggs trade was management saying he will be the X-Factor that takes us over the top. No 4th WR or backup RB are making a huge impact. How is CB2 not a need? Wallace took a step back, Norman is 100 years old and got torched in Washington and Gaines hasn't played well since he left here which was some years ago, I'd say it's always good to draft corners.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Agree to disagree then, the Diggs trade was management saying he will be the X-Factor that takes us over the top. No 4th WR or backup RB are making a huge impact. How is CB2 not a need? Wallace took a step back, Norman is 100 years old and got torched in Washington and Gaines hasn't played well since he left here which was some years ago, I'd say it's always good to draft corners.

The bills defence last year was miles ahead of the offence, statistically. Diggs is a big pick up but we can only imagine what this offence is capable of. I think with the 2nd round pick you need to draft offensively to secure your investment and that should be a no-brainer. 

The Bills basically have the RB's alternate each series...having both a 1 and a 1A running back will keep their options open for every series start.

It would be the easiest way to improve the offense.

They had Frank Gore out there for 370 plays last season....it boggles my ***** mind.

Now picture 370 plays with say,  JK Dobbins (and most others with Devin Singletary).

Big improvement, methinks.

And a nice insurance policy if one of them goes down with an injury. Two is the way to go.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Corner isn't a flashy pick but the NFL is becoming more and more of a passing league every year. Stocking up on corners isn't a bad idea.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

It's all relative to value but I would also like to point out that this is a deep WR class and RB's could be found in round 4. If a good value is there at DE or CB I would rather take that and then draft a WR in round 3.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 32ABBA said:

The Bills basically have the RB's alternate each series...having both a 1 and a 1A running back will keep their options open for every series start.

They had Frank Gore out there for 370 plays last season....it boggles my ***** mind.

Now picture 370 plays with say,  JK Dobbins (and most others with Devin Singletary).

And a nice insurance policy if one of them goes down with an injury. Two is the way to go.

Yeah RB2 is sticking out like a sore thumb to me.  Just because of the number of touches that player gets.  I want someone else other than Yeldon getting those 150ish touches.  I think Akers will be there at 54.  Dobbins, Taylor and Swift I think will be gone fairly soon in round 2.  

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I hope they line up their favorite team hats in front of them like when the HS kids announce their commitments 

Ooh!  That sounds like it could be fun!  Find an impartial service that will rank the top 220-ish players and let them pick their team in order by round.  Teams can trade to give them extra chances in a round, but then the top player picks his choice of teams in round 1 until player 32 picks the last team with a slot in the round.  Then it repeats fore all 7 rounds. 

It would be interesting to see how the players would choose their destinations.   

2 hours ago, 32ABBA said:

I'm on board with this. What Kamara and Ingram did a couple of years ago has me craving something similar for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

No, get a better RB to be the RB1A.

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

It's all relative to value but I would also like to point out that this is a deep WR class and RB's could be found in round 4. If a good value is there at DE or CB I would rather take that and then draft a WR in round 3.

good point.  IF WR is so deep, then a back up WR can be found in the 3rd round.

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Yeah RB2 is sticking out like a sore thumb to me.  Just because of the number of touches that player gets.  I want someone else other than Yeldon getting those 150ish touches.  I think Akers will be there at 54.  Dobbins, Taylor and Swift I think will be gone fairly soon in round 2.  

I want another good or better running back, so we get more rushing yardage, RB receiving yardage and TD's from that position.  We also need a guy who can drive the other team crazy by getting chunks of yardage in the passing game when Diggs and Brown get something like double coverage and stretch out the field. 

I think they are looking for a couple of starters or near starters in 2020 or guys with crazy potential. I think they would be happy with 3 solid draft picks. (I'm counting Diggs as a drat pick). 

Helare is off the table with KC's #32 pick.  I don't think that Swift, Taylor nor Dobbins is going to be there at #54 for the Bills.   Miami,  Tampa and the Steelers (or another team) will probably take them with picks at 39,  45 & 49.   We could trade up with the Jests to 48, which would cost our 4th and 5th round picks, in order to get ahead of the Steelers. (note that there are a lot of comp picks after the 3rd and 4th rounds   https://www.drafttek.com/nfl-trade-value-chart.asp).  If we don't get one of these top 3, then there is no reason to reach in the 2nd round.  Moss, Allen or 4 or 5 other guys will be around to figure out how to get in the 3rd round.

I think Akers would be too much of a risk at #54, unless we traded down in the 2nd.  Maybe we could also trade up from our 3rd round to get two picks in the 50-60 range.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Just want say a nice FU to KC for taking my running back, Clyde Edwards Helaire. I thought he was the best back out there even though he was ranked 5th and was hoping we could get him in the second.  Guess Andy holds the same view, that bas****d.

5 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

He will be great in that offense.

He would have been great in our offense.:wallbash: 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Crap. I thought he would be the bills selection. 

Now i think Moss will be only available RB to us at 54

me too but im not interested in RB until latter rounds now. I was all in on the Clyde train.

5 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I think Beane is going to try and trade up for Gross Matos

Yuk, guy is a jag.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

me too but im not interested in RB until latter rounds now. I was all in on the Clyde train.

There are good RB's in this draft that can excel with the Bills.

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to be mad that CEH is not available.

You should be very happy if one of the other 4 slip to the Bills and the Bills take em.

But that doesn't mean the Bills will take a RB at 54, even if one of them are there.

The Bills are actually in a good position to do whatever the heck they want in this draft and still come out smelling like a rose.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

There are good RB's in this draft that can excel with the Bills.

There is absolutely no need whatsoever to be mad that CEH is not available.

You should be very happy if one of the other 4 slip to the Bills and the Bills take em.

But that doesn't mean the Bills will take a RB at 54, even if one of them are there.

The Bills are actually in a good position to do whatever the heck they want in this draft and still come out smelling like a rose.

Too late im mad.

i prefer we get a back later now.