2020 NFL Draft: Round 1 discussion

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Doc, I still cut both ways on it.  I am so intrigued abut the RBs in rounds 3 and 4, but getting someone like Fournette for that money is an exciting possibility.

I just wish he were 50% less dick in my mind.  

I guess I am saying I am 6 or 1/2 dozen of the other.

If they can get Dillon in the 4th, I'd forget Fournette.  If they can't...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Doc said:

If they can get Dillon in the 4th, I'd forget Fournette.  If they can't...

Doc, I've made the fandom mistake of falling in love with Dillon as a pick.  I want it, badly.

However, I so 100% agree with your take above.  Kudos, brother.  looking forward to tonight and tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the philosophy is that if you are picking in the top 5, you should draft one of the elite players. Usually there are only a few. They took one. It is a very high value position. Probably only behind QB, LT. And they had a huge need at corner. It was a no brainer to me. 

I figured they wouldve try to do more because they need help everywhere. I know they moved on from Slay and that defense has struggled but Stafford could use a running game and better blocking(which kinda go hand in hand). I completely agree with adding elite talent when you pick top 5. Part of me would've like to see them acquire assets from the dolphins to get up to 3 but Tua getting hurt killed that possibility.

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

Glad roger didn't listen to the hand-wringing GMs - 

last night went quite well.

Except when Roger had to do anything besides naming the pick. He screwed up multiple times. But overall I though it went well and was impressed.

14 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

I figured they wouldve try to do more because they need help everywhere. I know they moved on from Slay and that defense has struggled but Stafford could use a running game and better blocking(which kinda go hand in hand). I completely agree with adding elite talent when you pick top 5. Part of me would've like to see them acquire assets from the dolphins to get up to 3 but Tua getting hurt killed that possibility.

They can still get a RB and OL. I see the side of wanting to trade down, but I don’t think they had the offers that were rumored.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

seeing tweets that aaron rodgers is a little pissed they took a qb. 

I love Rodgers.

That said, TooFB, Aaron.  Grow up, you have 30 plus million per and yesterday you did not turn 27.  This is how you got your job, douche.  Figure on having a job for 1-3 more years and be gracious.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Just a general comment regarding the draft and what occurred last night. Seemingly the tech aspect was handled well no gaffs which I was glad to see.

One theme throughout the night was going very personal into a players past or struggles, what he has overcome aka pulling at our heartstrings effect. That's okay but in the case of Love the way the NFL brought up his fathers suicide right at the cusp of arguably this young mans greatest achievement/moment in life I thought was in very poor taste, exploitive and not appropriate. I just didn't like that. Some things a person has the right to keep private.The way they went on and on "oh maybe it was due to his blood pressure meds" seriously??? SMH

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

Yeah I’d be pissed if I were a GB fan but I’m sure a lot of them hated the Rodgers pick too when they had Favre. But why Love this year? Seems like it would make more sense to wait it out and only take a QB in round 1 if Rodgers was on his absolute last legs.

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I love Rodgers.

That said, TooFB, Aaron.  Grow up, you have 30 plus million per and yesterday you did not turn 27.  This is how you got your job, douche.  Figure on having a job for 1-3 more years and be gracious.

they were close to getting to a super bowl this year. they are still close and have some holes at wr and rb. they should have taken another position. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

this surprises me Zero. It's a bad look for him noone likes a whiner. Grow up.

2 minutes ago, Margarita said:

Just a general comment regarding the draft and what occurred last night. Seemingly the tech aspect was handled well no gaffs which I was glad to see.

One theme throughout the night was going very personal into a players past or struggles, what he has overcome aka pulling at our heartstrings effect. That's okay but in the case of Love the way the NFL brought up his fathers suicide right at the cusp of arguably this young mans greatest achievement/moment in life I thought was in very poor taste, exploitive and not appropriate. I just didn't like that. Some things a person has the right to keep private.The way they went on and on "oh maybe it was due to his blood pressure meds" seriously??? SMH

Yeah I found the segment on Love’s dad to be extremely strange. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

they were close to getting to a super bowl this year. they are still close and have some holes at wr and rb. they should have taken another position. 

Yes, Ari, but you can't ignore the inevitable.  Additionally, this is absolutely how they got him and it worked out the last time.  Please, I am not making a direct comparison between him and love, but it IS time to consider it.  

2 hours ago, Mr. K said:

Being married to a Lions fan we were sitting there wondering why Okudah.. Corner at 3 seems hard to swallow but then again you just never know in the draft.

As with the Packers, I would have advocated that the Lions pick a QB at #3. But as good as Stafford's stats are, he has been unable to do anything of significance to lift the overall team including when he had one of the most dynamic receivers Megatron with him. When they had such a high pick, they should have started the transition to a new offense. 

Regarding the format of this draft, I liked it a lot more than the glamour and glitz productions of recent years. Last night harkened back to the drafts back in the day with GMs at tables with telephones and assistants writing names down on a slip of paper and running them up to the main table to be announced. Sometimes simpler is better. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Regarding the format of this draft, I liked it a lot more than the glamour and glitz productions of recent years. Last night harkened back to the drafts back in the day with GMs at tables with telephones and assistants writing names down on a slip of paper and running them up to the main table to be announced. Sometimes simpler is better. 

Agree outside of it being painfully obvious how much they intentionally drew it out. To me, it seems like it could've been done an hour sooner. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Agree outside of it being painfully obvious how much they intentionally drew it out. To me, it seems like it could've been done an hour sooner. 

Agree entirely.  Back in the day, drafts were conducted at light speed compared to today. But big, prime time production numbers require big, prime time commercial sponsors and they have a say in the timeline. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. K said:

Being married to a Lions fan we were sitting there wondering why Okudah.. Corner at 3 seems hard to swallow but then again you just never know in the draft.

That's so that they didn't have to trade for Gilmore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’m not feeling as good about Miami picking Tua as some of you are. I’d have rather seen them going with Justin Herbert.

If Tua stays healthy he could be a great QB. He has tons of talent and his accuracy + anticipation look top notch (from what I’ve watched/read anyway).

Tua May have some health question marks, but IMO Herbert has more ?? when it comes to playing the QB position at a high level.

I felt like Herbert was another tannehill level (mid-tier/mediocre) QB where as if all goes well with Tua he has the chance to be a top 5-10 QB in the NFL. But they always say “be careful what you wish for”, so maybe I’m wrong (like many times in the past) and in a few years I’ll be glad they didn’t take Herbert (and/or did take Tua... I hope!). 

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They can still get a RB and OL. I see the side of wanting to trade down, but I don’t think they had the offers that were rumored.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I would imagine they would've taken just about any legit offer.

Tua is a nice fit for what Chan Gailey likes to do. They are building something there and I think its going to be Bills-Dolphins going forward. Sam is going to bust imo. 

At the same time, I stand by the idea that Justin Herbert is going to be the best quarterback out of this bunch and he is the guy going into the best scenario. He has the most talent of all of them and he is going to the best situation. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

10 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

So let me get this straight, it makes more sense to get a 4th WR or a backup RB than a CB2, or a rotational Edge rusher who can possibly slide into Hughes role or Addisons role when they move on which is going to be soon because they're older players. There is no WR we draft that is moving into Diggs, Browns or Beasley's spot. You may find a RB to unseat Singletary but do we want to or do  we just want a compliment? The smart money would be to continue to build the offensive and DL, also the corner position. 

We have a ton of O lineman.  And most of them are at least decent.  Do you want 20 O Lineman in training camp?  What is the point of signing guys like Spain Long Boehm and Williams if we are drafting another one in the 2nd or 3rd round?  The only O lineman that is old is Nseke.  The rest are all young or in the prime of their careers. 

D line we can get younger.  But I do not think the talent level of the guys falling into the 2nd round at DE, (except Uche) are nearly as dynamic as the RB's or WR's that will be available.  Epenesa Weaver Lewis are ok.  I would take Uche if available.  He has talent and a big upside.  My son plays DE in college and knows the position real well.  He doesn't like any of the other guys in the 2nd round.  Especially Lewis who he says is skinny.  And according to him Epenesa is not athletic enuf to play edge in the NFL. 

Corners are a dime a dozen.  McDermott can take an undrafted guy and make him a solid player.  We have 3 guys more then capable of competing for the starting CB 2 position.  Heck I think McDermott and staff could make Lafayette Pitts into a fringe starter at CB given the scheme we run. 

Drafting a stud RB will not make him a backup.  He can compete with Singletary for carries.  That makes everyone better bro.  As for WR Brown and Beasley are decent.  But neither gets a lot of separation.  And their are plenty of WR's that are coming out that have more upside.  And you definitely need a 4th very good WR on your team in today's NFL.  That is one fan's opinion.  Take it as you will.  

17 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m not feeling as good about Miami picking Tua as some of you are. I’d have rather seen them going with Justin Herbert.

If Tua stays healthy he could be a great QB. He has tons of talent and his accuracy + anticipation look top notch (from what I’ve watched/read anyway).

Tua May have some health question marks, but IMO Herbert has more ?? when it comes to playing the QB position at a high level.

I felt like Herbert was another tannehill level (mid-tier/mediocre) QB where as if all goes well with Tua he has the chance to be a top 5-10 QB in the NFL. But they always say “be careful what you wish for”, so maybe I’m wrong (like many times in the past) and in a few years I’ll be glad they didn’t take Herbert (and/or did take Tua... I hope!). 

I agree with you in that if Tua stays healthy he will be a beast.  If healthy he will be top 10 in the league.  I think people are focused on his injuries too much and many may not have seen him play often.  When healthy he is the real deal.  I did not want Miami to take him and would have preferred they take Herbert.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

We have a ton of O lineman.  And you definitely need a 4th very good WR on your team in today's NFL.  That is one fan's opinion.  Take it as you will.  

Who is the Chiefs 4th WR or the Packers, Falcons, Patriots? That's right you can't say because they are rarely used. Why is it so pertinent to have a 'very good 4th WR in today's NFL' ?

The top team to use 4WR set last year was the Cardinals. Guess what that percentage was.... 18% of the time. After the Cardinals it dropped drastically to 8% used. A long snapper quite often sees more time than the 4th WR.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I say bring him on. If we can’t beat them with Tua, then we don’t deserve it anyway. 

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Who is the Chiefs 4th WR or the Packers, Falcons, Patriots? That's right you can't say because they are rarely used. Why is it so pertinent to have a 'very good 4th WR in today's NFL' ?

The top team to use 4WR set last year was the Cardinals. Guess what that percentage was.... 18% of the time. After the Cardinals it dropped drastically to 8% used. A long snapper quite often sees more time than the 4th WR.

The Chiefs used Tyreek Hill, Sammy, Mecole Hardman and Marcus Robinson.  Plus they have Travis Kelce who is one of the 2 or 3 best TE's in the league.  (And he plays like a big WR)  In addition guys get hurt all the time, even WR.  So you had better have some depth guys who can play.  I did not say we would be playing 4 receiver sets ALL THE TIME.  I just want another stud receiver in the pipeline to compete w Beasley and Brown.  Come on man that should be obvious.  I think we can do better then Duke Williams (although he can be in the mix if he develops his game more) McKenzie and Foster.  Its a passing league now, and I am old school.  But look at all the guys drafted last nite.  WR's and DB's.  The LB Isaiah Simmons looks like a basketball player.  The LB's don't look London Fletcher or Chris Spielman anymore.  I was watching the draft with a bunch of college aged guys.  We were discussing how the NFL has changed since the 70's, 80's and 90's.  They asked if I liked it.  I said it is exciting.  But I miss the violence that used to be the NFL.  But my point is that you need a lot of good players who can catch the football and then run with it in today's game.  It is not ground and pound until the last few minutes when you are winning.