Beane: Not even contemplating trading up to 1st round

if we were to hypothetically make a play for a 1st round pick, it'd be by way of a player and not a future pick. Remember, the whole reason we were even at 12 in 2018 was because we traded Cordy Glenn to move up. Then we packaged 12 with other picks to get to 7. We do have an excess of decent quality o-linemen. They are more valuable than most of our picks if we're really trying to move up.

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I bet there is no real difference in this years draft and other years.  I think people completely overrate how hard drafting is.  Look at their film breakdown that’s all over YouTube, google the player’s history, and have virtual meetings with them. 

some of these guys act like they are trying to find the cure to the Coronavirus.  

I don't remember where I saw the interview, but Beane was recently asked about the issues with the limited scouting protocols, and his comments very much contradict your comment, here. In one of the more humorous anecdotes he talked about how even the guys who picked up prospects from the airport would be questioned about their attitudes, and comments they might make on the drive to the facility. I think, especially with Beane, character matters, and learning how someone acts when they aren't in an interview is important to him.

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, he's traded up. But except for the major haul of picks they acquired to bring in a QB, where they ended up lucking into not only a QB but also Edmund with the extras ... Beane's never traded away anything from the first two days. More than that, he's never emptied out a round. That is to say, he's never traded a pick unless he either had another pick left in the same round or he'd already doubled up in an earlier round. 

If he keeps that up, he'll only trade away one of our two sixth rounders, unless he accumulates some extra picks from trading back or trading player for pick. So I could definitely see him trading up, but the folks who expect a big move upwards are expecting him to break his tendencies. 

Agreed that pass rusher and receiver are bigger needs than most realise, though I don't think size is the factor you do. If we need a big guy, they can just keep Duke Williams.

I think Duke had some big moments but there must be something that’s holding the Bills back with him.  

and I’m only talking about Young. I would say that Three guys I hope make it to us in the second are Claypool, Pittman, or Gross Matos.

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't remember where I saw the interview, but Beane was recently asked about the issues with the limited scouting protocols, and his comments very much contradict your comment, here. In one of the more humorous anecdotes he talked about how even the guys who picked up prospects from the airport would be questioned about their attitudes, and comments they might make on the drive to the facility. I think, especially with Beane, character matters, and learning how someone acts when they aren't in an interview is important to him.

I mean what is he going to say?  That if this board did a consensus Pick here, they would build just as good of team If not better?  

I'm thinking if we're going to trade up in the first two days it's going to be a few spots in the third. There might be a guy they covet that has made it through (maybe a cb) longer than they expected.

In the past, it seems need for starters has driven the trade ups, looking for guys that can help us now without dipping into the next tier down. Like when they went up for Knox, "there was a significant dropoff after him". Seemed to be the same story with Ford, Edmunds and really Allen. Since we are a more solid team, I don't know if the desire to get a starter thinking will drive Beane this year. Seems like we can afford to let the draft come to us a little more this year.

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s traded up in every draft so far. 

and I think pass rusher and big receiver are much bigger needs than most fans realize.  Our receiving code is tiny.  And our 2 best pass rushers are in their 30s and Hughes is averaging like 5 sacks/ season for the last 4 years.  

I bet there is no real difference in this years draft and other years.  I think people completely overrate how hard drafting is.  Look at their film breakdown that’s all over YouTube, google the player’s history, and have virtual meetings with them. 

some of these guys act like they are trying to find the cure to the Coronavirus.  

Valid opinion....a lot can be done virtually.  Here's where I differ a bit -- I think white-boarding and watching film in the same room; examinations by team affiliated doctors and viewing interactions in person with the staff are important to Beane and McDermott.  McDermott has mentioned a few times that its important to him to see how a prospect interacts with the admin staff ...

Some good stuff in the article from a year ago..

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/02/27/nfl-combine-2019-things-buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-said/3003357002/

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I did not flush out my entire point which is that unless we get a top 10 pick it is unlikely the player will have a large impact on our team this season and I would rather see 6 new faces to build up than one new face who needs to be built up.

Do we have room on this roaster for 6 new faces ? And how much contribution will we get from all of them ? 

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

I never pay much attention to any interview that Beane or McDermott give. Both are experts at giving detailed answers, but the reality is they don't say anything, which is the way its supposed to be. I prefer the Bills operate this way rather than the days of big mouth Rex who always wanted to "win" the press conference.

Interesting parallel...I see it!

33 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

The strategy I would use this year is trading out of this seasons draft entirely if I could.

No, real players availble in rnds 2-3, and sometimes in rnd 4-5

the one reason to get back into the first is you get to keep they guy for a fifth year if you want.

Edited by bigK14094
MOre content

2 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

He will end up with two 2nd round picks, and two 3rd round picks. I think he will be trading up heavily into those rounds for guys he thinks can earn a spot on this team easily compared to some late rounder. 

I highly doubt this. Beane seems great at picking contributers in the late rounds. I think we might see one trade up this draft maybe in the 3rd rd.

I really don't understand why so many people think our roster is so stacked. If we have a injury bug like philly did last year. We will need rookies to contribute more than last year.

We still need depth and future players to develop under our veterans. So lets not mortgage our future so much. Remember Beane is a wizard at finding late round talent i.e. Tommy Sweeney, D. Johnson.

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Do we have room on this roaster for 6 new faces ? And how much contribution will we get from all of them ? 

I would say yes we do. Im not sure ...injuries might decide how much a rookie plays like with Sweeney a 7th round pick last year. We aren't as deep as bills fans seem to think. Chances are we aren't as lucky two years in a row with our teams injurys.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's said that in previous interviews - that "Stefon Diggs is our first round pick" and that it'll be hard to get through the first round without a pick, but he plans to cue up some Stefon Diggs highlight films.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Smokescreen.

He’s already working on a deal to get Chase Young.

Well we gotta save some ammo for McCaffrey now that we got them to get the contract settled

We may move up a little in the 2nd or 3rd, but that’s it.  I don’t know what people are thinking we could move up for Chase Young.  That’s like saying we can trade for Rodgers.  Fantasyland.

Beane seems to have a penchant to move up which is great and we are not in a position we need more players and move down.  We’re not rebuilding at this point.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with maybe 4 picks total and bundle the other 3 to move a little higher. I don’t see us trading away a player or any pics from next years draft.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's said that in previous interviews - that "Stefon Diggs is our first round pick" and that it'll be hard to get through the first round without a pick, but he plans to cue up some Stefon Diggs highlight films.

...as expected.....at the same time, Beane and his high quality staff have done a great job in finding value at the right price in rounds subsequent to the 1st IMO.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

These statements are so dumb.... of course he’s gonna put that out there regardless.

i would. Nope we are not trading. Then if a team contacts me, or I contact them cause they may be desperate.... I tell them, “look you know I came out and said I wasn’t going to do this, this is my offer”....

You’ll get more of what you want for less going that route. But like I said, I think it’s the only route. “We look at all players, we like our board now and we aren’t looking to do that”.... 

2 hours ago, Putin said:

We have room on the practice squad which I think was also expanded- basically 2 on regular roster and 4 on PS

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

We have room on the practice squad which I think was also expanded- basically 2 on regular roster and 4 on PS

So you dont think a 5th rd TE (maybe J.Pickney or the Dayton TE) could possibly beat out Kroft or Sweeney for a roster spot.

Do you really think our depth is that completely solid. A few injuries to any positions other than the O &D lines scares the crap out if me.

If J. Brown and C. Beasley went down for 6-8 weeks our wr group would be simply trash besides Diggs. If Edmunds and milano were hurt for 6-8 games I'd hate to see who all was left.

We need more solid competition. Im willing to bet atleast 2-3 4th to 7th rounders make this squad. Especially with the wizard Beane drafting them.

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean what is he going to say?  That if this board did a consensus Pick here, they would build just as good of team If not better?  

I wish I had a link to the interview. It wasn't a written interview, but a FaceTime sort of thing. He was speaking quite earnestly about the struggles of the limited scouting process. I can see no reason to believe he wasn't being honest.

Edited by Rocky Landing

after the Diggs trade i didn't think Beane would try the only way he would even consider it is if there was a generational type player in the draft then he might pull a D

"Ditka" & package it all to move up but that;s just not his style, Whaley on the other hand was a but anxious on draft day but not Beane even if he was thinking that i think McD would real him back in !!

19 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I wish I had a link to the interview. It wasn't a written interview, but a FaceTime sort of thing. He was speaking quite earnestly about the struggles of the limited scouting process. I can see no reason to believe he wasn't being honest.

Of course he was being honest. There is great value in the private visits and workouts and physicals. No GM would dispute that. The good news is that he appears the opposite of panicked. He looks very prepared and i believe the continuity of the coaching staffs and schemes plus the talent in the FO will make this as seamless as possible for the Bills. Whereas you may see other teams with new regimes or inexperienced FOs have a less than ideal draft this year if they were waiting for pro days and visits to do a lot of the final evaluations. The teams with the most prepared scouting reports from the fall will win here. This is the link to the interview where he discusses it, I believe - though he’s done several of them 

Edited by YoloinOhio

While Beane keeps things close to the vest, he is a straight shooter. I would suggest that he likely HAS contemplated trading back into the 1st round -- and realized that doing so would likely cost this year's 2nd rounder PLUS next year's 1st (plus maybe more) to do so. And that would be just to trade up to an area close to where our original 1st rounder would have been. Suffice to say, he's not going to do that, barring something crazy happening. So as he said, he is not even contemplating it "right now".

Beane likes his late-round draft picks, but he also likes to use those pieces as trade-up chips. Also, when the roster becoming more and more stable, I think he would rather come away with 2-3 relevant players rather throw darts at 6-7. Regardless, with just 2 picks in the top 100, he is going into the draft a bit low on ammo. One of Beane's best attributes is that he is good at predicting moves ahead-of-time. That is why I could see him moving down to acquire more draft picks -- and then using those additional picks to move back up in the middle rounds.

I would expect him to move up a bit (5-10 spots) in the 2nd round if he sees a guy he really likes and is worried that he won't be on the board at 54. With the 5th-round pick being higher (10th), that could be enough to make such a modest move, if warranted. Making these 2nd round moves has actually been his MO in his previous drafts with the Bills. Conversely, I could also see him -- if he sees multiple guys with close grades still on the board at 54 -- picking up an extra pick to move back a few spots. 

• Like (+1) 2

Saw a link today that Buffalo ranks 32nd in draft capital for this draft.  Not a dig at the team because I'm thrilled with the Diggs trade, but should indicate the Bills aren't going to be moving up.  The draft is a player acquisition method for the long haul, not satisfying the fantasy football types who think everything is in the now.

The roster is much improved for this coming season, but there are several positions which need an influx of youth for down the road.  And that goes for every team.  Right now, Buffalo needs some young depth who hopefully can start in the future at WR, DE, and CB.  Because whether Bills fans like it or not, some players are not going to be re-signed because they'll be allocating cap space. 

On 4/15/2020 at 1:25 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The best part is..........he’s not a roll of the dice like an ordinary draft pick. We paid a little more, but got a proven player. How many teams took a shot at a WR and whiffed, even with much higher picks,  before Diggs was taken in the 5th? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

But in the 2nd or 3rd rounds?  ya can bet your azs he will be trading up, ??

Go Bills!!!

On 4/15/2020 at 1:25 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That’s the right approach. Diggs is better than any of the WRs in this draft, and certainly better than any they could have possibly selected at their pick, or reasonably obtained via a trade up.   Focus on round 2.  I would not be opposed to them moving up in that round for an appropriate value pick, but I do not know who that might be.  Let’s see how it falls.  

Every time i do a mock draft, I start wondering if it would even be a good idea to trade DOWN in the 2nd. At 54 I’m not seeing great value. It’s like all the RBs minus Swift, and meh-at-54 CBs/DEs

Edited by YoloinOhio

14 hours ago, FLFan said:

That’s the right approach. Diggs is better than any of the WRs in this draft, and certainly better than any they could have possibly selected at their pick, or reasonably obtained via a trade up. 

I like Diggs but I am going to have to do my be Bill Lumberg and "go ahead and disageree" with the bolded.

DRAFT PICK            # PICKED      POINTS          CASE1            CASE 2           CASE 3           CASE 4       CASE5        

ROUND 2                  54                    360                  YES                YES                YES                YES               YES

ROUND 3                  86                    160                  YES                YES                x                      YES               x

ROUND 4                  118                  58                    x                      YES                YES                x                     x

ROUND 5                  150                  31                    x                      x                      YES                x                    x

#2 2021                   #54?                180                  x                      x                      x                      YES               x

======================================================================================

We get:                                                                       #38                  #33                  #45                  #31          #54

Move up=                                                                    16                    21                    9                      23                 0

To explain in words:   The way to get a 1st round pick (#31) would be to trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks AND next year's 2nd round pick.

We could bundle our 2nd and 3rd round picks and move up 16 slots to #38.  That would likely get us the 2nd 3rd or 4th RB.  (I'm in favor of filling the missing RB hole with a guy who would be an upgrade on Singletary)

We could bundle or 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks and move up 21 slots to #33.  Almost in the first round.

We could bundle our 2nd, 4th and 5th round picks and move up 9 slots to #45.   We would still have a 3rd, 6th and 7th round pick.

The Bills have moved up twice in the top of the draft in the last three years.  We "moved up" in the 1st round, sort of, to get Diggs.  I would not be surprised to see a second move up this year in the second round.   Beane has said that he has no problem with moving up (and even overpayinga bit) to get a way undervalued player OR a superior player who is a good value at a position of need.     A skilled front office will use the draft to get impact players.  Smart planning is to use the FA to fill holes and get incremental improvements and known depth and then draft guys who are BOTH a BPA and at a position of need.  You can get both.  It is weak thinking to thing that "BPA" and "drafting at a position of need" are completely exclusive of one another.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan