Bills Sign Mario Addison on a 3 year deal

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed that people think 10 per for a DE who has 40 sacks in his last 4 seasons is an overpay. You know that he has more sacks than Ngakoue who is asking for 22 right?

He isn't a guy who is often injured, knows McD scheme. Very strong run defender. What are people expecting here?

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I fully expect Beane to draft a DE no later than 3rd round this year

Id be shocked if Trent Murphy is on this roster.  

Hughes and Addison should give us 2 years of good production at the DE spot before they potentially move on/retire.  We have Darryl Johnson, and I think we may be targeting Alton Robinson or Jabari Zuniga in the 3rd.  

Edited by SCBills

27 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Bears $5yrs $70M $30Mgtd

Wow- I thought Quinn would get 3 years at 15 per year- though maybe that is what it turns into

4 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

I'm amazed that people think 10 per for a DE who has 40 sacks in his last 4 seasons is an overpay. You know that he has more sacks than Ngakoue who is asking for 22 right?

He isn't a guy who is often injured, knows McD scheme. Very strong run defender. What are people expecting here?

In a Mc Beane defense the lineman are not the stars- the LBs are the stars and therefore we will not likely have any dominant players along the line but have great LBs.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

In a Mc Beane defense the lineman are not the stars- the LBs are the stars and therefore we will not likely have any dominant players along the line but have great LBs.

Not sure I agree though he clearly loves his LBs  His Superbowl defense featured Addison and Short as sack monsters and was among the sack leaders as a team. An effective pass rush is surely a preference. It makes everything easier.

18 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

The contract is fair and correct.  What concerns me is realistically because of him turning 33 in sept. we're probably only looking at 2 good years. I can see him and Jerry retiring together. We better start drafting some edge guys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

The contract is fair and correct.  What concerns me is realistically because of him turning 33 in sept. we're probably only looking at 2 good years. I can see him and Jerry retiring together. We better start drafting some edge guys.

Truth.

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What are you basing this off?

Less guaranteed money and front loaded to allow the Bills to get out after a season if needed.

The Bills could revamp their entire DE position after this year with very little dead cap hit. 

Spotrac has only 4 million in Dead Money in 2021 and 2 million in 2022.

Good contract for Bills and Mario.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-addison-8871/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

Not sure I agree though he clearly loves his LBs  His Superbowl defense featured Addison and Short as sack monsters and was among the sack leaders as a team. An effective pass rush is surely a preference. It makes everything easier.

McDermott should try to get kuechly to I retire lol. Would be awesome

42 minutes ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

McDermott should try to get kuechly to I retire lol. Would be awesome

It's fun to imagine, but Kuechly has been a pale shadow of what he was the past two years. He can still read what the offense is doing better than anyone in the game, but, noticeably slower and shy of contact since the concussions Its best for everyone that he's done 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Pretty much every snap I’ve seen Addison play in the nfl, he lined up on the right side.  Jerry’s side.  I hope one of them is equally talented rushing from the left

Yeah I mentioned that earlier as well. 

Someone else theorized that Jerry would move to the left side since hes done it before and can really get after the RT

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Hughes and Addison should give us 2 years of good production at the DE spot before they potentially move on/retire.  We have Darryl Johnson, and I think we may be targeting Alton Robinson or Jabari Zuniga in the 3rd.  

I think Murphy stays and a round 2 or 3 pick is brought on board. They signed Murphy to a big deal and as much as I think he hasn't lived up to it, the deal they signed him to must be a sign that they like him as a player. 

37 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Murphy stays and a round 2 or 3 pick is brought on board. They signed Murphy to a big deal and as much as I think he hasn't lived up to it, the deal they signed him to must be a sign that they like him as a player. 

Perhaps, I like the flexibility they have where they don’t have to cut him, but also don’t need to keep him.   Cutting him could free up the money needed for another splash signing, i.e. Melvin Gordon 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Perhaps, I like the flexibility they have where they don’t have to cut him, but also don’t need to keep him.   Cutting him could free up the money needed for another splash signing, i.e. Melvin Gordon 

Big time pass on Melvin Gordon, but yes if they feel there is another big time free agent that they might want to free up some money for I could see them cutting Murphy. But given McD's weird loyalty to vets he signs I wouldn't be on it. They have about 10-20 million to work with while still having enough for rookie deals and 20-30 million in roll over. At this point unless they really want a big fish they will likely just stick with Murphy. 

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Yeah I mentioned that earlier as well. 

Someone else theorized that Jerry would move to the left side since hes done it before and can really get after the RT

They're both going to move around.

Between these 2 and Edmunds, you have 3 guys that can all play out of a 2/3/4-point stance and make coverage drops.

It’s going to be quite difficult to both diagnose who’s coming and then execute the blocking. Mix in some creative blitzes and one of the best secondaries in the game and it’s no wonder why this defense is being talked about.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

They're both going to move around.

Between these 2 and Edmunds, you have 3 guys that can all play out of a 2/3/4-point stance and make coverage drops.

It’s going to be quite difficult to both diagnose who’s coming and then execute the blocking. Mix in some creative blitzes and one of the best secondaries in the game and it’s no wonder why this defense is being talked about.

No question. I think it's time to take the training wheels off of the defence and get a little more creative especially up front. 

Your suggestions are great examples 

Love the production but it’s amazing how quickly guys can fall off once they hit their 30s.  See Mario Williams.  That said, besides Star and Murphy, I don’t have much to question on their defensive moves.  Still would like another pass rusher in the draft.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Love the production but it’s amazing how quickly guys can fall off once they hit their 30s.  See Mario Williams.  That said, besides Star and Murphy, I don’t have much to question on their defensive moves.  Still would like another pass rusher in the draft.

If they wanna dump him after this year, they can save a boatload of real cash, and a penalty of only $4m.  They did ok with Zo with his age, so I'm guessing they feel MA has plenty in the tank.  They know this guy well.  

45 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Still think they need to add another veteran DT to the mix...

I’ll be shocked if they don’t.

There are a good number out there that would be great fits:

Christian Covington 

Michael Pierce 

Beau Allen

Shelby Harris

Jarran Reed

Austin Johnson 

Sly Williams 

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Did I mention that he missed only 1 tackle in 2019? That’s seriously my favorite stat 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I’ll be shocked if they don’t.

There are a good number out there that would be great fits:

Christian Covington 

Michael Pierce 

Beau Allen

Shelby Harris

Jarran Reed

Austin Johnson 

Sly Williams 

Did I mention that he missed only 1 tackle in 2019? That’s seriously my favorite stat 

That is a great stat.  

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

What's the point of cutting Murphy?

A rookie or Daryl Johnson is going to play all his snaps?

Or are you counting on Addison to replace both Shaq AND Murphy?

1 minute ago, below said:

What's the point of cutting Murphy?

A rookie or Daryl Johnson is going to play all his snaps?

Or are you counting on Addison to replace both Shaq AND Murphy?

I currently have a hard on for Alton Robinson or Jabari Zuniga in the 3rd, so, sure. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I currently have a hard on for Alton Robinson or Jabari Zuniga in the 3rd, so, sure. 

I think with Alton Robinson's past transgressions he won't be high on our Draft board.

I really like Jon Garvin in the 4th or 5th, but next year Miami has two first round DE's coming out. Greg Rousseau, and grad transfer Quincy Roche