Bills, Denver & Titans interested in DJ Reader (signed with Cin)

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Murph is awfully lazy with his propaganda show.

He's entitled to his opinions like everyone else but he's a pompous blowhard and the Bills deserve a better play-by-play man, IMO. FWIW, he also said that Yannick Ngakoue is not all that good and is not a good fit in Buffalo. 

3 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

He's entitled to his opinions like everyone else but he's a pompous blowhard and the Bills deserve a better play-by-play man, IMO. FWIW, he also said that Yannick Ngakoue is not all that good and is not a good fit in Buffalo. 

That is what I mean by Lazy.  He doesn't do his homework on these players that he then wants to get on his show and talk about.  If someone calls and asks him WHY he thinks that way he NEVER has an answer.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

That is what I mean by Lazy.  He doesn't do his homework on these players that he then wants to get on his show and talk about.  If someone calls and asks him WHY he thinks that way he NEVER has an answer.

Sounds like some people on here

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Sounds like some people on here

True, but posting here isn't someone's paying Job.  Most likely they are doing it when they should be working at their paying job.  (Guilty)

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

John Murphy just called him "a decent player". He's very versatile and more than "decent", Murph. ?

He is a good player at a non-premium position.  He isn't elite and not that much better than Jordan Phillips.   That said, I agree with Murph, wouldn't pay the guy 11-13 million dollars a year. 

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

People on this board don't like to hear this because of the hyperbolic nature of the NFL media when edge rushers become available, but its arguable Ngakoue isn't a top ten player at his position, so I don't think Murph is all that far off here either.   Would rather pick up Robert Quinn who is a bit older but a more productive player for a lot less money. 

Murphy isn't half as bad as you guys make him out to be, he just doesn't get lost in the hysteria. 

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Murphy isn't half as bad as you guys make him out to be, he just doesn't get lost in the hysteria. 

No, he's actually twice as bad at play-by-play as most make him out to be. He's slow on calls and sounds like he's gasping for air half the time and his TD calls are trite and come across as scripted or forced ("TOUCHDOWN! TOUCHDOWN!! TOUCHDOWN, BUFFALO!!!"). Other than that, he's outstanding...

6 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

No, he's actually twice as bad at play-by-play as most make him out to be. He's slow on calls and sounds like he's gasping for air half the time and his TD calls are trite and come across as scripted or forced ("TOUCHDOWN! TOUCHDOWN!! TOUCHDOWN, BUFFALO!!!"). Other than that, he's outstanding...

Do many people listen to the play by play on the radio?

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think the Bills are going to spend on defense and then draft offense.

This approach would be absolutely fine with me.

The 2020 NFL draft is loaded with offensive playmakers and I can see the Bills drafting 3 WR's no matter where they draft em.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

His voice cracking reminds me of 2004 Howard Dean....”Aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!” ???

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

...nor is $22 mil/yr..............

ESPN's Mike DiRocco reports free agent DE Yannick Ngakoue is asking for $22 million annually.

That would make Ngakoue the highest paid defensive end, topping the $21 million AAV Demarcus Lawrence got from Dallas last offseason. While his sack totals have been in decline, Ngakoue has been one of the most consistent pass rushers in the league over his first four years (37.5 sacks) and is only entering his age-25 season.

• Haha (+1) 1

It also seems like when Reader gets into short yardage or goal line situations that he takes his game to a beast mode type level for a DT. I have noticed that when he is not doubled that he almost always pushes into the pocket. Stats alone don’t tell the whole story on this guy, he reminds me a lot of Ted Washington. I have never compared anyone to Mt Washington but Reader is the closest thing to Ted that I have ever seen. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

From past experience following him, this account does seem to have an inside source at OBD

IMHO, I think that's good news. The Bills know that Harry's recovery could take some time and might not be ready for next season, plus Reader is a very good interior DL and the Bills could use the help in terms of improved interior line play vs. the run and getting push up the middle. As I've been vocal about before, I trust Beane - so if he thinks it's worth the money and investment, then I hope it happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/9/2020 at 12:55 PM, ExWNYer said:

He is awful, simple as that 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

From past experience following him, this account does seem to have an inside source at OBD

As someone who believes that strength in the trenches is neck and neck with quarterback as far as "most important to a football team", I would LOVE it if the Bills signed Reader. 

That being said, I feel like Beane's MO in the past has been to sniff around lots of guys that ultimately wind up being out of their price range.

Put another way, I'll believe Beane is going to spend $12million per year on another 1T when I see it. Again, if the plan is to have him REPLACE Star, then I could see it, but in that case, I believe they would have cut Star outright rather than ask him to take a paycut.

I hope I'm wrong, because in my opinion, Reader's a beast.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

IMHO, I think that's good news. The Bills know that Harry's recovery could take some time and might not be ready for next season, plus Reader is a very good interior DL and the Bills could use the help in terms of improved interior line play vs. the run and getting push up the middle. As I've been vocal about before, I trust Beane - so if he thinks it's worth the money and investment, then I hope it happens. 

Agree 100%

1 hour ago, Logic said:

As someone who believes that strength in the trenches is neck and neck with quarterback as far as "most important to a football team", I would LOVE it if the Bills signed Reader. 

That being said, I feel like Beane's MO in the past has been to sniff around lots of guys that ultimately wind up being out of their price range.

Put another way, I'll believe Beane is going to spend $12million per year on another 1T when I see it. Again, if the plan is to have him REPLACE Star, then I could see it, but in that case, I believe they would have cut Star outright rather than ask him to take a paycut.

I hope I'm wrong, because in my opinion, Reader's a beast.

Star can come off the books next off-season.  One season of overlap won't kill the cap.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

Star can come off the books next off-season.  One season of overlap won't kill the cap.

I think that's what a lot of people aren't taking into consideration.   It's not as if Star and Reader would be bound to play together over the next few years.  The time of reckoning for the Bills where they will have to make some more difficult roster decisions will be when it's time to structure a new deal for Josh Allen.  The Bills have some time between now and then for that to happen and the Bills are not in any sort of a cap crunch.  So while I agree with Logic that is a lot of money to tie up in the DT position, that doesn't necessarily mean it is tied up for the long-term.

My guess is that they would view Reader as a potential clear upgrade, those two could play together for a year or two and then they'd look to move on from Star.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

Perhaps they’ve got a trade possibility to move Star.  That would yield a cap savings of $300k.  Upgrade to a better, younger player in a longer deal.  It’s definitely a workable plan.  The Bills might have to eat some of this season’s salary to make it happen, but it’d be worth it to upgrade.  Star’s contract was not a good one for the Bills.  They gotta pay the piper and deal with it at some point.  

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Perhaps they’ve got a trade possibility to move Star.  That would yield a cap savings of $300k.  Upgrade to a better, younger player in a longer deal.  It’s definitely a workable plan.  The Bills might have to eat some of this season’s salary to make it happen, but it’d be worth it to upgrade.  Star’s contract was not a good one for the Bills.  They gotta pay the piper and deal with it at some point.  

Star would be great for Reader to apprentice under for a year. He was brought in for veteran stability and certainly can mentor DJ a bit : )

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

NFL is evolving back to running the ball- I like me some run stuffers. 

I wouldn't say the NFL is evolving back to running however I think that the running game is becoming more intricate to offenses now. I think Star stays on the team easily. 

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I wouldn't say the NFL is evolving back to running however I think that the running game is becoming more intricate to offenses now. I think Star stays on the team easily. 

Maybe more balanced is a better way to look at it? I would have to crunch numbers but at a glance over the past few seasons it seems there was less passes than years prior. Star will definitely be back! He was pretty solid last season.