Sammy Haggar was a better lead singer for Van Halen than David Lee Roth

Nope! But they were 2 different bands, especially Eddies playing style. Both have their place.

Listen to any Van Hager album and then listen to Fair Warning; not even close to be comparable, especially Eddie's playing

32 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I wonder if row_33 is laughing ‘with’ you, or ‘at’ you.

at him

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Solo, I like Sammy more than Dave.

I like Sammy solo more than Sammy with VH.

I like VH with Dave more than VH with Sammy.

Van Halen's first few albums were killer. The stuff they did with Sammy was good, but not groundbreaking like the earlier material.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I cannot believe none of you have the courage to admit it.

”Right Now” is Van Halen’s greatest song and you all know it.

blue-eyed murder in a size 5 dress - is their best mainstream song

Mean Street is fugging awesome

I actually would say Poundcake & Don't Tell Me are 2 of the better Hagar songs...

Right Now, meh

Sammy is a much better sing than Dave, especially now, but in their primes DLR wins every time. Back your claim up - why is he better?

Edited by Reed83HOF

David Lee Roth has been on the Joe Rogan podcast.

He pointed out that every VH song with Sammy Hagar talks about love.

But as Diamond Dave pointed out, he ain't talkin' 'bout love.

I thought that was great; summed up the difference in the bands.

Sammy Hagar is a talented guy but I don't particularly like his music; VH had some good songs with him, but much prefer the original band with DLR.

To me, Van Halen with Hagar is something else; it's not Van Halen anymore.

This is better as a drunken debate with someone that has your complete opposite view. My great buddy X (RIP Jav) loved DLR. I was always a SH fan. Respected DLR years but was a little too young for DLR. I was 14 when 5150 was released. My point was SH always had a better voice than DLR, even true today. 

I even like some of the live stuff where SH sings the older DLR songs.

This might be the only band where the lead singer wasn't the true head case....

Edited by qwksilver

I like Sammy and he seems like a cool dude (and he lives on my street), but Hager era VH is a joke compared to the early years when Roth was fronting.  VH was the balls in the early years.

Of course, that’s not all b/c of the lead singer.

There's Van Halen...and then there's Van Hagar.  Van Halen was an all-time great rock band.  Van Hagar was a really good, borderline great pop rock band.  I saw them during the 5150 tour and saw Van Halen during the 2015 Tour.  Dave's voice was crap and I wish I had seen them in their first go-around, but it was still a good show and I wasn't a fan of them until after they broke up.

Sammy is a better singer than Dave.  But then again, Van Halen wasn't about Dave's vocal prowess.

• Like (+1) 2

I've always found it pointless to compare DLR-era VH to Sammy-era VH.  Two entirely different bands; each of them awesome in their own ways.

Furthermore, DLR's and Sammy's voices are completely different.

DLR was perfect for the VH albums he was on; Sammy was perfect for the VH albums he was on.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I cannot believe none of you have the courage to admit it.

”Right Now” is Van Halen’s greatest song and you all know it.

I opened this thread to say that all I know is that Sammy sang their greatest song.  God, do I love that - and the video.

The only other song that I love is Dance the Night Away, but not even close to Right Now................I like a bunch of other songs.

But, I've seen them twice - for free - once with Dave and I was in the front row.  And, once with Sammy in a luxury box.  I wanted my money back both times.  

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Sammy is a better singer than Dave.  But then again, Van Halen wasn't about Dave's vocal prowess.

Agreed.   Especially as they got older.   

Sammy still puts on a killer show, while Dave **** the bed the last time I saw him with VH in Buffalo (he was totally not into it and really pissed me off)...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Lurker said:

Agreed.   Especially as they got older.   

Sammy still puts on a killer show, while Dave **** the bed in the last time I saw him with VH in Buffalo (he was totally not into it and really pissed me off)...

He opened for Kiss here a few weeks ago and was apparently atrocious.  

3 minutes ago, bbb said:

He opened for Kiss here a few weeks ago and was apparently atrocious.  

It was 2012 when I saw DLR  with VR and he sucked then.   I can only imagine how much further he's fallen.

OTOH, I saw Sammy last summer at Artpark and it was one of the best concerts I've caught there.     I kept commenting to my wife about how strong his voice and energy level were for a 72 year old... 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

It was 2012 when I saw DLR  with VR and he sucked then.   I can only imagine how much further he's fallen.

OTOH, I saw Sammy last summer at Artpark and it was one of the best concerts I've caught there.     I kept commenting to my wife about how strong his voice and energy level were for a 72 year old... 

i saw Sammy open for Boston at the Aud in 78 or 79.  Never heard of him, but he stole the show!  

Van Halen with DLR was an “in your face” rock band.  Guitar heavy, screaming vocals.

Van Halen with Sammy was more about musicianship and content.  Prefer them with Sammy.

Saw Sammy at Fallsview a few years back with his band “The Circle”.  Amazing show!  Can’t wait to see him in July at Seneca Niagara. 

I think many have summed it up here

Hagar was the better lead singer of the 2

But Roth was the better Frontman

And the music from the 2 of them was different. With Hagar the 'quality' of the songs was better, but the music was more 'fun' with Roth. He seemed like more of the natural 'crazy' rock band frontman

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

One of the cleanest pieces of vinyl I own, and I got it for $1. This album is amazing.

Back to the OP.......  @Royale with Cheese is always ready for a fiery take. And has brought out the music aficionados in full force. 

My opinion is, VH is a lot like AC/DC. Different bands once the singers changed. I like them equally but it's hard to choose one vs. the other. Brian Johnson was the ONLY person who could replace Bon Scott, and that's due to the voice. Sammy had a better singing voice than Roth, but the band sounded ruthless under his tenure.

6 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

One of the cleanest pieces of vinyl I own, and I got it for $1. This album is amazing.

Back to the OP.......  @Royale with Cheese is always ready for a fiery take. And has brought out the music aficionados in full force. 

My opinion is, VH is a lot like AC/DC. Different bands once the singers changed. I like them equally but it's hard to choose one vs. the other. Brian Johnson was the ONLY person who could replace Bon Scott, and that's due to the voice. Sammy had a better singing voice than Roth, but the band sounded ruthless under his tenure.

You want to know my music knowledge?  I didn't know AC/DC had two singers.

• Haha (+1) 1

I prefer Roth as the stereotypical party rock band frontman. That edition of Van Halen was the ultimate party rock band that paved the way for countless imitations. Van Hagar was a good pop/rock band that would be remembered as such, but that version of Van Halen wouldn’t have been enough to elevate the Van Halen name to the status it has today. Also, the musical direction that Eddie took with Hagar appeals to me less than that he took with Roth. Eddie Van Halen the guitarist > Eddie Van Halen the keyboard player. Van Hagar produced some great tunes, but I also have a tough time dealing with garbage like Love Walks In. 

like with many bands, it is hard to compare early raw stuff to a later much more polished sound that emerges. i am a fan of early Hagar (Montrose) and a fan of early Van Halen. same with bands like Rush, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, their early raw sounds completely blows away the later more polished stuff.  it is simply hard to make an apples to apples comparison in this regard.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Look at their hair.  You're telling me Roth is better?  By the way, this pic is both of them at 25 years old.

Image result for david lee roth hair

Image result for Sammy Haggar

roth is far, far better.  not that hagar is bad, i just prefer the van halen with roth.