Free Agency - March 18 - Who do you want?

wppete

This offseason is huge for us.If Beane has his best offseason to date we have a very good chance to be one of the best teams in the NFL next year. Hope he can get some of these guys:

FA

WR

1. Amari Cooper (Cowboys)

2. Robby Anderson (Jets)

DE

Yannik Ngakoue (Jaguars) (trade Murphy)

LB

1. Cory Littleton (LA Rams)

CB

1. Byron Jones (Cowboys)

2. Darqueze Dennard (Bengals)

3. Trae Waynes (Vikings)

OT

Daryl Williams (Panthers)

Re-sign 

Shaq Lawson

Jordan Phillips

Q. Spain

Kevin Johnson

Edited by wppete

What I "want" and was is affordable realistic are two diferent things and in the unreaslitc group I would put Cooper and Ngakoue ($).  I would love to keep Philips but with is sacks some team is going to wildly overpay him.  Keep johnson only if he comes reasonably priced.  And if he stays i  think we are ok, not great, ok at CB. Definetly keep Spain Lawson would prefer  to keep but not as urgently. Daryl Williams is someone i would be very intersted in.

• Like (+1) 2

TE Hooper or Henry.  Having a dynamic TE combo will open up the offense.  Allows us to hit a WR 1 in the draft or FA, get another RB in the draft, and gives Josh another big target.  Look at what the teams did yesterday with ONE dynamic TE.  SF basically has two with their FB.  It really helps a JB like Josh.   \

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 2

Short term w player option deal for AJ Green ($10M per)

Draft a WR

Get any of Yannick ($15-20M per),  Dupree, Barrett, Armstead, Quinn on cheaper deals 

Draft an edge guy

Pay for Hooper or Henry ($10M per)

Get the best cheap RB you can find ($2-3M per)

OL help There are a number of guys out there. See what deal can get done. ($5-10M per)

Draft OL

Draft CB

Draft LB

Draft DT

• Like (+1) 4

I will go a more realistic option and leave the top names off the board. It’s easy to pick the best available and lets be real, we will be incredibly lucky to land 1 of them. Some of you guys are crazy thinking we’re getting 2-3 of the top 20 free agents. 

I would target Devontae Booker at running back, but would like them to sign 2. So I’ll add Carlos Hyde and a low round draft pick. 

I would target Tajae Sharpe from Tennessee who has flashed some in the past. Would also like 2 at this position but one free agent and one drafted. 

Possibly George Fant if Seattle don’t bring him back. 

I definitely want Aqib Talib on a short deal. 
Breeland looked decent last night but I don’t have too much of an opinion for him. 

I like Quinn, Ogbah and of course I want lawson back. 

And I would like to add Gerald McCoy as well. 

4 hours ago, wppete said:

This offseason is huge for us.If Beane has his best offseason to date we have a very good chance to be one of the best teams in the NFL next year. Hope he can get some of these guys:

FA

WR

2. Robby Anderson (Jets)

DE

LB

CB

1. Byron Jones (Cowboys)

3. Trae Waynes (Vikings)

OT

Re-sign 

Shaq Lawson

Jordan Phillips

Q. Spain

Kevin Johnson

I think this offseason is so important,  get rid of scrubs like Murphy /Lee Smith/ Yeldon/Kroft which saves us close to 16 mill in cap space and sign a couple of play making free agents.  We're going to need more talent because our schedule will not be as easy and 7-8 wins this past season were against losing teams.  

Just now, Niagara Dude said:

I think this offseason is so important,  get rid of scrubs like Murphy /Lee Smith/ Yeldon/Kroft which saves us close to 16 mill in cap space and sign a couple of play making free agents.  We're going to need more talent because our schedule will not be as easy and 7-8 wins this past season were against losing teams.  

You cut Murphy,  no team is giving anything for that guy. 

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Wasn't Hooper one of the guys at the Pro Bowl who had no interest in Buffalo, the snow, nothing to do etc.? Cooper as well.

Cooper I could see coming here. He’s not gonna have that big of a market. 

We need a back up QB, I say if available go get Dalton. So one mentioned Talib although I think he’s gonna stay in Miami. I say we focus on signing back our own and then go after some big names. 

Who I would want:

1. Jack Conklin / OT

2. Shaq Lawson / DE (re-sign) or Dante Fowler / DE

3. Breshad Perriman / WR

4. Maybe take a shot on Vince Biegel / LB to replace Lorax?

5. Re-sign Corey Liuget / DT

6. Kevin Johnson / CB (re-sign)

7. Kenyan Drake / RB

• Like (+1) 6

20 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

You cut Murphy,  no team is giving anything for that guy. 

Why cut these guys?  The Bills have a lot of cap space.  Unless they bring in players who outperform them in camp why cut them?  

Also I want nothing to do with the free agent WR class. 

2 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Why cut these guys?  The Bills have a lot of cap space.  Unless they bring in players who outperform them in camp why cut them?  

Also I want nothing to do with the free agent WR class. 

To upgrade. There is $ savings that can be spent elsewhere and limited roster spots. 

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Cooper I could see coming here. He’s not gonna have that big of a market. 

We need a back up QB, I say if available go get Dalton. So one mentioned Talib although I think he’s gonna stay in Miami. I say we focus on signing back our own and then go after some big names. 

What makes you think

A) Dalton would take a backup job, and if he did, wouldn’t he take one in a place with a fringe starter he could possibly beat out? There’s quite a few places possibly in need of starting quarterback experience and also a few starting quarterbacks possibly hitting the market. 
And

B) why on earth with Talib stay in Miami? He was just a salary dump to them they didn’t even want him and he didn’t play a snap there 

7 minutes ago, ngbills said:

To upgrade. There is $ savings that can be spent elsewhere and limited roster spots. 

They have plenty of money to spend even with those contracts. And there’s what 90 roster spots available until cut downs? 
You cut them AFTER you get someone who can win the job. In certain cases like Kroft as was pointed out to me you cut them before new league year bonuses come into play but even still, it’s silly to cut guys hoping you can sign replacements. Create holes you may end up having to fill with lesser talent. 

Buffalo could literally sign 3 top end free agents (they won’t) and keep all the guys you listed and still have plenty of cap leftover. 
I’m not saying they should be here, but it makes no sense cutting everyone before you have replacements under contract or drafted. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

They have plenty of money to spend even with those contracts. And there’s what 90 roster spots available until cut downs? 
You cut them AFTER you get someone who can win the job. In certain cases like Kroft as was pointed out to me you cut them before new league year bonuses come into play but even still, it’s silly to cut guys hoping you can sign replacements. Create holes you may end up having to fill with lesser talent. 

Buffalo could literally sign 3 top end free agents (they won’t) and keep all the guys you listed and still have plenty of cap leftover. 
I’m not saying they should be here, but it makes no sense cutting everyone before you have replacements under contract or drafted. 

I agree. Cut them if you know they are not in your plans - sometimes if it impacts money (bonus, etc) or if you do it to give the player more time to find a new team. When people say cut I do not think many (if any) are saying just cut with no plan. Its really upgrading is the point. 

I would really like people here stop to be delusional about what this team is going to do, i accepted for 

entertainment purposes , but nothing else. Buffalo usually don't go for the top free agents, and this hardly gonna change, maybe one player they have targeted before or liked during his draft process, but is better to look to the bottom of the free agency

As far as early FA ($$$) I want the best pass rusher on the market and OL if Spain isn’t re-signed. That’s it, I’ll pass on the FA WR group and target our alpha WR on day 1 of the draft if pass rusher can be obtained in FA. In bargain FA I’ll take a punter, CB, LB, TE and DT. I would also try to sign RB Matt Breida to an offer sheet (49ers RFA)

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, poblano said:

I would really like people here stop to be delusional about what this team is going to do, i accepted for 

entertainment purposes , but nothing else. Buffalo usually don't go for the top free agents, and this hardly gonna change, maybe one player they have targeted before or liked during his draft process, but is better to look to the bottom of the free agency

When have we had $90M in cap space and be a time on the rise? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I will go a more realistic option and leave the top names off the board. It’s easy to pick the best available and lets be real, we will be incredibly lucky to land 1 of them. Some of you guys are crazy thinking we’re getting 2-3 of the top 20 free agents. 

I would target Devontae Booker at running back, but would like them to sign 2. So I’ll add Carlos Hyde and a low round draft pick. 

I would target Tajae Sharpe from Tennessee who has flashed some in the past. Would also like 2 at this position but one free agent and one drafted. 

Breeland looked decent last night but I don’t have too much of an opinion for him. 

Talib??  Vonte Davis again???

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Yes,  that 16 million saved could be used for a big time play maker,  we need play makers on both sides of the ball.  Those guys can all be replaced by draft picks and better quality free agents.

• Haha (+1) 1

The way I look at it is this team needs to fill 2-3 needs, retain at least 2 of the team’s 3 primary free agents, and roll over 30 million in cap space to help with future extensions of Milano, White, Dawkins, Poyer, and others. 

As far as “Taking care of our own” I want to see this team retain 2-3 of the major free agents (Shaq, Phillips, and Spain.) Personally I think all 3 have relatively equal value to this team (quality starters but none worth overpaying for considerably.) I think that you have to attempt to resign each one but you can kick Cody inside to replace Spain and find other free agents to replace Phillips and Shaq. While a modest overpay is considerable I don’t think they need to go crazy for either. 

My ideal off-season would be to cut Murphy and Kroft while adjusting Long’s deal to take a modest pay cut (thus kicking you up to 102 million in cap space) and then you would resign Spain, Shaq, Phillips and Kevin Johnson to deals that would occupy 24 million total (7.3 milion aav average for Spain, Shaq and Phillips and 2 million for Johnson.) 

Then with the remaining 78 million in cap space I think you can spend 38 million responsibly while having 10 million for the draft pool and 30 million in roll over. With the 38 million I would go after in the following ways.

Sign Yannick 18 million aav deal. Fill the need for a big time edge defender and an upgrade to the edge pass rush. In one fell swoop you fill one of the team’s two biggest needs with a 26 year old player who is a difference maker. 

Sign a vet pass catcher to a short term deal. I think you don’t need to sign a big time player like Cooper or AJ Green but I think you need to find someone proven that can help add depth. Either a Hunter Henry or a Robbie Anderson type on a deal that is easy to get out of after 2021 or ideally a one year deal. I think you can afford to spend up to 10 million on this type of player as long as the cap commitment isn’t hard to get out of long term. 

Use the remaining 10 million to add depth. Beane has proven great at bargain hunting. He can get players sub 5 million aav and get them to be solid starters. Secondary type needs like bruiser RB, Linebacker, safety/corner depth, and other needs can be filled using this remaining cap space. 

Going into the draft you should have 2 big needs filled and a deep team. I would go with a WR in round 1, a corner in round 2, a LB in round 3 and a running back in round 4. Filling out the remaining needs of the roster. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 2

I think I’d like to sign a solid CB to compete for the 2 and nickel spot, short term.

Sign either Lawson or the best available DE.

Let Phillips walk.

Sign a TE to compete with Knox for the #1 spot.

Sign depth at LBer.

Sign a power RB that is under 30 years old.

That’s good for me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

What makes you think

A) Dalton would take a backup job, and if he did, wouldn’t he take one in a place with a fringe starter he could possibly beat out? There’s quite a few places possibly in need of starting quarterback experience and also a few starting quarterbacks possibly hitting the market. 
And

B) why on earth with Talib stay in Miami? He was just a salary dump to them they didn’t even want him and he didn’t play a snap there 

Cause of what Miami did in the second half of the season. I’m sure they did enough to entice him to stay. And I mentioned Dalton cause his market won’t be that big and could be cheap

• Like (+1) 1

1. OLB Jordan Jenkins, not a big name but at 26 has youth to grow with rest of team. Has shown can cover and rush the passer which should allow him to step in and replace LorAx.

2. TE Hunter Henry, I'm not a Kroft hater but this kid is a great TE and yes an injury risk but more upside than Kroft and proven RedZone threat we need.

3. LG Quinton Spain, he was solid pass protector and think can improve as run blocker but wouldn't call him weakest link on Online.

4. DE Mario Addison, aging DE that still gets to QB and likely command less money than Shaq. Knows the Carolina system and thinks highly of Beane.

5. OT Dennis Kelly, the lesser known Titans OT in UFA. He can also play OG. At 30 he still should have 2-3 years to be in the mix as a starter or at least valuable depth.

6. DT David Onyemata, I hate losing Phillips but this kid can play both DT positions and has great measureables. 

7. RB Isaiah Crowell, size and can start in a pinch or very least be a goal line option.

8. CB Kevin Johnson, think he was solid spot starter and think he worth bringing back.

9. P Britton Colquitt hopefully we don't lose him to Vikings again this off-season.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 2

Where do we lack depth?

QB - Is it worth upgrading from Barkley?

RB - Have money in Yeldon. Could make argument we upgrade here with another depth player.

FB - Nothing needed

WR - Depth? I would argue only a top WR is needed. Depth would do very little. Brown and Beasley signed.

TE - See WR. Knox, Kroft, Sweeney, Croom, Smith. No depth needed. Could upgrade the #1 TE though.

OL - Morse, Ford, Dawkins, Nsekhe, Feliciano, Long, Bates, Boettger. Spain come back? Agina, is it depth we need or upgraded starter.

DT - Star, Oliver, H Phil, V Taylor. Could use a rookie rather than depth. 

DE - Murphy, Hughes, Johnson, Love - Does Sahq come back. Depth needed or starter?

LB - Milano, Edmunds, Thomsson, Joseph, Dodsen - Could use depth.

DB - Hyde, Poyer, White, Johnson, Neal, Johnson, Lewis

The only positions I see depth needed is possibly RB, another LB or two, another DB or two. This team is deep at most positions. It lacks top talent at positions rather than depth. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Cause of what Miami did in the second half of the season. I’m sure they did enough to entice him to stay. And I mentioned Dalton cause his market won’t be that big and could be cheap

Just my opinion but I don’t expect Talib wants to go through a rebuild. He wants to play for the top defenses and get more super bowls before he retires. He could be a bargain for some of the top teams or he may be about done. 

Dalton could be a fit for a lot of teams. I’m not sure his market will be that bad. Carolina if they don’t keep newton, raiders, philly maybe with Wentz injury issues, Chicago is Trubisky is on a short leash, Denver if they aren’t fully sold on Lock, Tennessee if they figured out tanehill isn’t that good, Indy is the prime place for any starting quarterback, jags if they can free up some money, Pittsburgh depending on how 300+ pound Ben rehabs. Lot of nicer paths to playing time than buffalo. 

Lot of jobs for dalton, Mariota, maybe Winston, Rivers, Teddy B maybe. 
Quarterback carousel this year. Could possibly snag one of those guys closer to preseason if they’re not signed and teams draft a lot of quarterbacks 

I was gonna say Robbie Anderson, then I saw this....

"According to the Sunrise Police Department in Florida, Anderson was swerving in his Jaguar “all over the roadway and failed to maintain a single lane.” When he was finally pulled over, he demanded to speak with his lawyer and physically resisted being stuffed into the back of the cop car. When they finally got him to the [station], he allegedly told an officer that “he was going to find my wife, **k her and *** in her eye.”

Amari Cooper seems to disappear too often. He seems to be a bit of a risk. I prefer they look elsewhere.

Edited by 32ABBA

13 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

I was gonna say Robbie Anderson, then I saw this....

"According to the Sunrise Police Department in Florida, Anderson was swerving in his Jaguar “all over the roadway and failed to maintain a single lane.” When he was finally pulled over, he demanded to speak with his lawyer and physically resisted being stuffed into the back of the cop car. When they finally got him to the [station], he allegedly told an officer that “he was going to find my wife, **k her and *** in her eye.”

Amari Cooper seems to disappear too often. He seems to be a bit of a risk. I prefer they look elsewhere.

Robbie Anderson is a total f*ck up. That dude will bring embarrassment to whatever franchise he plays for.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

TE Hooper or Henry.  Having a dynamic TE combo will open up the offense.  Allows us to hit a WR 1 in the draft or FA, get another RB in the draft, and gives Josh another big target.  Look at what the teams did yesterday with ONE dynamic TE.  SF basically has two with their FB.  It really helps a JB like Josh.   \

Every year, I feel like free agency for the Bills has fans like a kid in an ice cream shop trying to decide:  Chocolate cherry sundae with nuts?  Banana split?  Double fudge milkshake?  Every year, I feel like free agency for the Buffalo Bills GM is like the kid's mom:  "Do you want your kiddie cone with or without sprinkles?"

I would like to see Hooper (if he learns about our QB and decides he wants to be here) and Yannick Ngakoue.  I would be happy with one of the two.  What I think we're going to see is a couple of mid-tier FA that are on nobody's radar right now, and a couple of acquisitions to compete for depth.

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Fant is my guy. I think there’s a chance he becomes a legitimate starting tackle and ends up a huge value.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’d be shocked and disappointed if we didn’t sign one top tier FA this off-season.  

I’d prefer we didn’t sign booker.  JAG.  Hyde is ok, but I’d rather have better.

sharpe is meh for the money he’s gonna get imo.  I hope he’s not our prize FA WR.

I don’t think fant is much of an upgrade over what we rolled out there last year.

talib I love.  Hope we get him.  Doesn’t seem like a process guy though, Bree land is ok if he’s cheap.

i feel whoever we sign at DE could make or break our season.  Whomever we sign best be able to apply ample pressure.

I’d love mccoy as well 

8 hours ago, wppete said:

FA

WR

2. Robby Anderson (Jets)

DE

LB

CB

1. Byron Jones (Cowboys)

3. Trae Waynes (Vikings)

OT

Re-sign 

Shaq Lawson

Jordan Phillips

Q. Spain

Kevin Johnson

I don’t think I want Amari Cooper who 2 teams would have parted with in 4 years.  Robbie Anderson maybe, but he isn’t much different than John Brown (IMHO), but is younger.  Edit: just saw the post above about Anderson.  Draft is the place now o hopefully help Bills’ WR position.

I don’t think Ngakoue is a realistic possibility with the price he will command, but him instead of Shaq Lawson AND Jordan Phillips might be an option, but not sure I wouldn’t prefer Lawson and Phillips.

Would like to resign Kevin Johnson, Lawson and Phillips over most others on that list.  Phillips seriously was good last year and Lawson has developed into a good, not great starting DE.  Johnson is a good depth corner.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d be shocked and disappointed if we didn’t sign one top tier FA this off-season.  

I’d prefer we didn’t sign booker.  JAG.  Hyde is ok, but I’d rather have better.

sharpe is meh for the money he’s gonna get imo.  I hope he’s not our prize FA WR.

I don’t think fant is much of an upgrade over what we rolled out there last year.

talib I love.  Hope we get him.  Doesn’t seem like a process guy though, Bree land is ok if he’s cheap.

i feel whoever we sign at DE could make or break our season.  Whomever we sign best be able to apply ample pressure.

I’d love mccoy as well 

I’m just trying to think outside the top 5 available box in free agency. 
I do not think sharpe will get much money at all. Tennessee isn’t exactly a pass team and he’s not used very much. I do expect they’ll target an elite player via trade or free agency but who knows. I was in hopes they would trade our first rounder for a proven receiver instead of drafting one in the 1st. 
I would like booker along with a rookie and wade battling it out for backup duties. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think this offseason is so important,  get rid of scrubs like Murphy /Lee Smith/ Yeldon/Kroft which saves us close to 16 mill in cap space and sign a couple of play making free agents.

LOL Your math works out fine as long as all "play makers" you want to sign will agree to one year contracts.   If not you're saving $16 mil this year and instead paying better players this season.  But what about what you pay them in future years and at the same time, need to play White, Milano, Allen, Edwards Dawkins just to name a few that are all on rookie contracts.  Maybe in Madden your concept works.