Sean Mcvay opinions?

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Is he really an offensive guru or has he been exposed as kinda a one year wonder? 

He had 2 great years, so can't be a "one year" wonder. 

Having one down season after 2 great ones doesn't mean he's exposed. If anything Goff's limitations are being exposed more than Mcvay. 

Gurley's been banged up throughout the year, and Kupp has been injured off & on too, combine that with playing in the toughest division in the NFL it's not surprising they took a step back. But considering they still have a winning record, can't say he's washed up or anything. 3 years & 3 winning records when the Rams were a complete disaster for years prior to his arrival still says he's a good coach.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

It’s a copy cat league, and Belichick really gave the league a blueprint on how to stop the Rams in last years Super Bowl. 

Actually the Bears gave the league the blue print last year in the regular season on how to stop the Rams offense.  

His first real turmoil as an NFL head coach.  He's 30-12 up to this point with a SB appearance.  The root of their offensive problems is their o-line.  It went from one of the best to one of the worst within one season.  The loss of their center (Sullivan) and guard (Sarrod) and replacing them with no names has caused the other starters to regress.  Defenses are just playing a 6-1 scheme that's shutting down their running game.  That makes the play action that Goff relies on less effective and forces him into 3rd and longs which isn't good for any QB.

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

How does a bad OL magically come together?

They have no money and no draft picks to address it. 

That line looked like they might be coming together last week, and voila, suddenly Gurley miraculously came out of his mysterious funk.

And that's with two injured starters in Noteboom and Allen still out. Both should be back next year.

Here's a good article on how much movement there's been on that OL before they started to get things together last week. There's a decent chance that just staying healthy next year could at least make them decent.

Excerpt:

"This was the starting offensive line in Week 1 of 2019:

LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Joseph Noteboom
? Brian Allen
RG: Austin Blythe
RT: Rob Havenstein

"This is the starting offensive line in Week 11:

LT - Andrew Whitworth (204 starts)
LG - Austin Corbett (1 starts)
C - Austin Blythe (26 starts)
RG - David Edwards (3 starts)
RT - Bobby Evans (0 starts)

"Here’s the combinations of OL play. As you can see, there’s been a ton of moving around for some guys and hardly any consistency:

"LT:
Andrew Whitworth

"LG:
Joe Noteboom
Jamil Demby
David Edwards
Austin Blythe
Austin Corbett

"C:
Brian Allen
Austin Blythe

"RG:

Austin Blythe
David Edwards
Coleman Shelton

RT:
Rob Havenstein
David Edwards
Bobby Evans (this week)

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/11/14/20965219/2019-los-angeles-rams-nfl-offensive-line-rob-havenstein-andrew-whitworth-austin-blythe

The article goes on to predict a disaster against the Bears, and yet what they actually got was solid OL performance.

And while it's true they have no first rounder, after that they have a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th, another 4th, a third 4th, and a 6th and a 7th. We got Cody Ford not all that far ahead of where they're picking in the 2nd, and the Texans got starter Max Scharping at almost exactly where they're picking.

We also got four very good solid FAs for not all that much in FA this year. They will only need about one to get back on their feet again on the OL, IMO.

Not that one game proves anything.

But that's my guess about what will happen as things move forward.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Actually the Bears gave the league the blue print last year in the regular season on how to stop the Rams offense.  

I see your Bears and raise you the Detroit Lions the week previously. Detroit didn't have the personnel to execute it sufficiently to win but it was they - and indeed Matt Patricia - who cottoned on to the fact that the sweep motion is window dressing and you should ignore it. That way rather than committing secondary guys in run support you can leave them deep and cover the play action (which was where practically all their deep shots came from). The Bears followed that template the next week and by the time we got to the Superbowl and Belichick married that with the bear front to take away the early down running game..... well it was curtains for McVay and the Rams. They have been desperately trying to catch up ever since. 

6 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

I think it’s the opposite. McVay has been figured out. How many times did they run that misdirection screen tonight and lose 5 yards? 5 times?

You would be right too. Okay the first pick was a bad throw by Goff but otherwise he played pretty well. Made some nice tight window throws (because suddenly there are not receivers running wide open for the Rams *HINT* scheme figured out) and generally executed what was called. 

The problem is the offensive scheme. Everyone knows what is coming. It's a hot mess. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Well, well. Looks like the tables have turned.

I took a lot of flak for saying that Goff isn't that good of a QB and could never put the team on his back and will them to victory. People cited his big contract extension and the "genius" McVay for why I was wrong. Well, Goff if proving me right. He's nothing more than an average QB, and recently he's looking even less than that.

Goff is the one who put up less than 10 points, though.

Is he? Was Goff calling the plays in their failed redzone trips? Because that was some shambolic play design. 

It's McVay. He has been worked out and he can't adjust. Now I will grant you Goff has proved he isn't a top 10 QB because he hasn't shown the ability to put the team on his back and overcome yet - which is what top 10 guys do even when the scheme is a shambles and the playcalling sucks. But I suspect most QBs would be struggling in that offense. It has become the most predictable offense in the NFL. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Jared Goff isn't good.

Against the blitz.  With a clean pocket, he'll carve a defense up.

McVay needs an elite offensive line for his offense to work.  Anything less and they're average to below average.  His inability to make adjustments is the mark of a bad coach.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, Goff wasn't the one who gave up 42 of those points. 

I know he's not the DC, but as HC ultimately McVay is responsible

Whilst true, not really part of the question.  McVay was never mentioned as a defensive genius.  He built his resume on offense and you really can't get a more safe hire than Wade from an historical perspective.  It's also true that Goff's ineffectiveness did nothing to support the defense.  I saw a QB who didn't have a clue.

McVay may rise from the ashes, or he may end up being another square peg kind of coach.  I heard recently that LA has an out on Goff's contract that won't kill them financially.  They'll be wise to use it.

Not to go too far out on a limb, the Rams illustrate why it's imperative for a team to get to the promised land whilst the QB is on his rookie contract.  As soon as all of those dollars are tied up in that one position it becomes much more difficult to put a solid team around him.  Every personnel mistake is magnified.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Whilst true, not really part of the question.  McVay was never mentioned as a defensive genius.  He built his resume on offense and you really can't get a more safe hire than Wade from an historical perspective.  It's also true that Goff's ineffectiveness did nothing to support the defense.  I saw a QB who didn't have a clue.

McVay may rise from the ashes, or he may end up being another square peg kind of coach.  I heard recently that LA has an out on Goff's contract that won't kill them financially.  They'll be wise to use it.

Not to go too far out on a limb, the Rams illustrate why it's imperative for a team to get to the promised land whilst the QB is on his rookie contract.  As soon as all of those dollars are tied up in that one position it becomes much more difficult to put a solid team around him.  Every personnel mistake is magnified.

Whereas I saw a coordinator (who also happens to be the Head Coach) who didn't have a clue and hasn't been able to adjust for weeks now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

When he had two full weeks to adjust for BB and the Pats but didn’t change anything...I fell out of love. I’d still let his wife take me out to dinner but that’s mostly because I’m a merciful being. 

He hasn't changed anything since he has been there. It is just the Shanahan stretch zone out of 11 personnel with lots of pre-snap motion. 

We get it. It looked great for a bit. Then the league worked it out and now.... well now it just looks like an offense coordinated by a more handsome version of Rick Dennison.

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

As I said, could be just another square peg coordinator, perhaps that didn't translate well.  Goff is bad.

See I am not saying Goff is good....  I just don't think that much of this is on him. He is the one for whom the jury remains out on in my opinion. The one the jury has returned a guilty verdict on is the boy wonder HC. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

See I am not saying Goff is good....  I just don't think that much of this is on him. He is the one for whom the jury remains out on in my opinion. The one the jury has returned a guilty verdict on is the boy wonder HC. 

And I am oppo.  McVay might go back to the drawing board and develop.  Goff shows as much awareness on the field as EJ, but no more.  He was fed the answers to the test just before the mic clicked off.  Now that defenses have adapted it's apparent that he doesn't have the skill to make it on his own.  

We disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

And I am oppo.  McVay might go back to the drawing board and develop.  Goff shows as much awareness on the field as EJ, but no more.  He was fed the answers to the test just before the mic clicked off.  Now that defenses have adapted it's apparent that he doesn't have the skill to make it on his own.  

We disagree.

We do. And can I just say the mic thing is the most overblown narrative in sports. I watched plenty of Rams games when they were rolling where they were not at the line super early every time  

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We do. And can I just say the mic thing is the most overblown narrative in sports. I watched plenty of Rams games when they were rolling where they were not at the line super early every time  

OK, tell you what, if, in four years Goff is still a starting QB in the NFL you get New Jersey back.  If he isn't we get Ireland.

9 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

How stupid were the Rams to guarantee this guy 110 million before his option became available.

He couldn't get his pen out fast enough to sign that thing. Can't blame him though...................

Yeah as soon as I saw that deal... the first thought that went through my head was ... "I've got some bad news for the Rams future" haha

10 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Is he really an offensive guru or has he been exposed as kinda a one year wonder? 

Not a one year wonder as he has at least 2 good seasons but i think Goff has been exposed as a QB that can't play once McVay isn't holding his hand.

Goff looks terrible and McVay is partially at fault for not developing him properly.

10 hours ago, Reader said:

Yeah, I think McVay is a good coach, but severely overrated during last year. I could be wrong, but my guess is Rams fans have really frustrating All 22's where play design works but Goff misses things.

A good coach should be able to adjust strategies and game plans per the evolving roster. McVay has not shown an ability to adjust to anything. It is likely he is just a mind with a couple of bright ideas and limited ability to be flexible. I am surprised how ineffective a Wade Phillips coached Defense was last night. As good as Jackson was last night, the D just did not change throughout the game. 

9 hours ago, Process said:

League caught up to him. Still a good coach but can no longer work wonders with a garbage QB.

$110mm guaranteed for Goff and two first round picks for a CB. Rams are a prime example of how to not build a team. They are screwed and will be bad for the next few years before they can  finally move on from Goff and will start a total rebuild. 

Giving big contracts to guys like Goff and Wentz will set a franchise back for years.

They are desperate to remain a SB caliber team for the opening of their $5b stadium.  That’s what the mortgage-the-future strategy is about.

I’m not sure if Gurley ever got back to 100% after his injury last year, but either way his OL fell apart and the offense cratered.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The evidence is what’s happened in Green Bay where LaFleur is using a variation of the same scheme. Their offense has been snuffed out a few times this year, and that can’t be blamed on incompetent QB play. Against SF it certainly seemed like the 9ers D knew exactly what the play calls were. They shut down A Jones and then went after Rodgers relentlessly. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

The evidence is what’s happened in Green Bay where LaFleur is using a variation of the same scheme. Their offense has been snuffed out a few times this year, and that can’t be blamed on incompetent QB play. Against SF it certainly seemed like the 9ers D knew exactly what the play calls were. They shut down A Jones and then went after Rodgers relentlessly. 

This is a very good point. There was a lot in common about Green Bay on SNF and the Rams on MNF in terms of their offensive ineptitude. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Rams also don't have a 1st round pick in either of the next 2 drafts. Good luck getting a new QB or elite OL. McVay will probably get 1 more season before being shown the door, but he'll be leaving that team in shambles.