Will offense operate better with Barkley next week?

GG

6 hours ago, GG said:

The big issue is that his play in the first 3 Qs  puts the entire onus on the defense to keep the game in check.  There's no question that I would rather have him than Barkley when the game is on the line with 3 minutes to go.  But realistically, the first 3 games should have been blow outs, and today's game wouldn't need last minute heroics with half way decent QB play.  

I think that at this point, with the offense that Daboll is running, Barkley is the better option.   

There has to be concern about Allen's regression this year, especially when the long ball has been woefully off.

I think the announcers repeatedly showed that the WRs were not getting any separation.  This Bills team is Allen's and they will live and die with his arm.   There is no going to Barkley unless Allen is not allowed to play next week.

8 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

If I didn't come out and say it, then I didn't say it then did I? Forget your assumptions, I could really care less. One guy tried that on me and I made him look like a bigger fool than he already is. And after today and last week, Allen showed anything but being smart with his decision making. I don't know what Barkley will bring to the table, but I do believe he can read the field better. Give him practice and see what happens. When Allen is cleared, put him back in starting. That clear enough for you?

I guess you got me!

Would you rather they start Barkley? It's a yes or no answer! 

29 minutes ago, pop gun said:

I guess you got me!

Would you rather they start Barkley? It's a yes or no answer! 

Only if Allen can’t go on Sunday. Barkley does do some things better than Allen, but not enough to warrant starting. I can support our backup while being objective. People writing him off are the ones being premature 

14 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

The Titans have a pretty decent defense, but no where near our calibur. The big test will be with this o line. As you pointed out, Barkley can't make something out of nothing like Allen can. But I do think Barkley is better at going through his progressions, but this O line will have to play lights out and give better protection. If Singletary comes back, I believe we win rather convincingly

the big thing about protection is when our qb runs backwards (tyrod did it too) and the line is forced to protect longer, pressure is gonna get home...not to mention the increase in holding calls. those sacks allen took yesterday were maddening , especially taking us out of field goal range.

10 hours ago, dlonce said:

Why don’t you think Allen will play? Because he didn’t return?

Concussion protocol isn’t a minimal process. He could easily return.

i don't see how a player can progress through the mandatory stages of protocol in one week. i'd bet money he's out til after the bye.

14 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

no it really doesn’t. How many Points did Barkley lead is to today?

i mean it is about points. So how many did Barkley put up today

How many did Allen cost us with his boneheaded plays?  In fact, Barkley could have led a drive for 3 points, but we needed a TD because Allen knocked us out of FG range two times.  Oh, we also lost by 6.  

Clearly Allen will be the better QB, but some fans on here think any critique of Allen is unwarranted, and that Barkely is terrible.  Both of which are untrue.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Best way to look at it. 

Allen Plays - we are favored 

Barkley Plays - will will be dogs

Probably not true.  The early lines I've seen have Titans -2.5 and Allen's status has not been announced yet.  I doubt the line changes if Barkley is the starter Sunday.  Like it or not, the general betting public thinks Allen sucks.  Not saying they love Barkley either, but most outside of this board don't think he hurts the Bills' chances.  

Edited by mannc

1 hour ago, buffalo2218 said:

Only if Allen can’t go on Sunday. Barkley does do some things better than Allen, but not enough to warrant starting. I can support our backup while being objective. People writing him off are the ones being premature 

Yeah, didn't think you would answer it. Try watching the game instead of just highlights, you half fan!

You advocate for Barkley but won't all out say so because you don't want to commit and paint yourself into a corner because you can always retort, "i didn't say that", yeah whatever.

Josh is the unquestioned starter, if you can't see that (don't know how you would just by watching highlights) you're lost and only wants to argue with your half wit opinions! 

16 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'd feel better about next week if Singletary plays.  Barkley will need as much help as possible.  He will need to get the ball out quickly since our O-line is struggling with pass protection.  The run game and short, quick passes will be a good start, rather than the long ball requiring a longer time of pass protection.

Any O line struggles when the QB holds the ball too long- just sayin’

Haven't read the whole thread, but Barkley is a back up for a reason, it's called talent and Josh has it. I think Barkley is good enough with this team to go 1-1 over a couple weeks. I don't like him against this team this week. We need Josh Allen to play and develop over the long haul or we're in trouble.

Barkley is a capable backup.  I would rather have Josh on the field, mistakes and all.  There is way more upside with Josh on the field IMO.  I honestly feel like if Josh stayed on we would have beat the Pats.  He has done it in 3 other games this year.  There is a reason that Barkley is a backup QB on the Buffalo Bills instead of a starter for another team in an NFL that doesn't have enough starting quality QBs.  I feel comfortable with him as the backup, but that doesn't mean I would want him to start.

17 hours ago, GG said:

What is obvious is that Barkley is better prepared to run this offense, as designed, but clearly can't do what Josh can if the play breaks down.  

I'm sorry did you see something I did not.

Barkley LIMITS this offense by not having the same tool box that Josh has. Opposing Defense will have a lot less to take away from Barkely to contain him then they will have against Josh.

Josh > Barkley and I don't see a single scenario where Barkley is a better option. Limited arm strength and scrambling threat really limits Barkley and that is what separates  Allen from a Barkley. Allen just needs to grow some more to eliminate his short comings. Barkley is Barkley at this point.

(with BYE weeks in the books you can't just go be total yards) 

Titans D   

- Net yards - 17th*  - Bills 3rd 

- AVG YPG - 14th    - Bills 2nd 

AVG Passing Defense Stats - All NFL

Tenny - 14th     - Bills 4th 

AVG Rushing Defense Stats - All NFL

Tenny - 15th     - Bills 7th 

Buffalo's TOP 10 Defense should handle the Titans.  

Barkley just needs to be a care taker

21 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I'm sorry did you see something I did not.

Barkley LIMITS this offense by not having the same tool box that Josh has. Opposing Defense will have a lot less to take away from Barkely to contain him then they will have against Josh.

Josh > Barkley and I don't see a single scenario where Barkley is a better option. Limited arm strength and scrambling threat really limits Barkley and that is what separates  Allen from a Barkley. Allen just needs to grow some more to eliminate his short comings. Barkley is Barkley at this point.

At this point in time, running the offense that Daboll has installed, I think that Barkley will put up more points.  

3 minutes ago, GG said:

At this point in time, running the offense that Daboll has installed, I think that Barkley will put up more points.  

Daboll's offense presents qbs with a lot of options (the scheme is good and aggressive), and I do think that Barkley gets through progressions a lot faster than Allen at this point. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Daboll's offense presents qbs with a lot of options (the scheme is good and aggressive), and I do think that Barkley gets through progressions a lot faster than Allen at this point. 

That's what I've been trying to say.  Thanks for the clarification.

26 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Titans D   

no he doesn't lol. Barkley needs to put up points. being a "care taker" doesn't win you games in todays NFL. 

Titans could put up 10 points and it might be enough to beat us because thats how terrible our offense is. 

6 minutes ago, GG said:

One thing I'm looking for with Barkley is him getting the ball out fast.   He's pretty good with his reads and understands his arm limitations.     He's a good fit for Daboll's offense and I expect we'll see Beasley heavily involved this week...

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Bills offense now is 9th in yards overall but 27th in points per drive and 29th in turnovers given up (with 32nd being the worst). That tells you something. 

I brought up a point after the Jets game that Allen moving the ball well in the 1st half could have been part of the defensive game plan.  I think the book is clear on him.  Don't give up the big play and let the Bills utilize 10-12 play drives, because there's a high probability of him making a critical mistake in those 10-12 plays.  So far, the D coordinators haven't been wrong.

Edited by GG
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

I brought up a point after the Jets game that Allen moving the ball well in the 1st half could have been part of the defensive game plan.  I think the book is clear on him.  Don't give up the big play and let the Bills utilize 10-12 drives, because there's a high probability of him making a critical mistake in those 10-12 plays.  So far, the D coordinators haven't been wrong.

How many times now has he gotten to the 30/25 yard line and then taken either a horrible sack or grounded it? I think it's five times now in four games.  He did it twice yesterday, and it arguably cost the Bills 6 points. 

3 minutes ago, dous21 said:

no he doesn't lol. Barkley needs to put up points. being a "care taker" doesn't win you games in todays NFL. 

Titans could put up 10 points and it might be enough to beat us because thats how terrible our offense is. 

Agree to disagree.  

Care Takers can put up points.   Matt doesn't need to be heroic.  He just needs to be sound behind the center.  

Barkley got 1 GS last season.  60 % comp ratio and 2 TD's in a WIN last season.   Final Score Bufflao 41 NYETS 10

34 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Titans D   

Tennessee has played a much harder schedule.  

Honestly, I have no idea what to think of the Titans.  Every time I think they suck, they win. Every time I think they might be ok, they lose.  This game is a coin flip but the good thing is it will be like a home game with all the Bills fans there.

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

lets not pretend Matt is a complete Failure 

nor claim he's a stud and should take over for Josh. 

A 67 career qb rating is pretty awful.  I think you would be hard pressed to find a qb with that many starts with a worse one.  That said, our defense is awesome and he just needs to not lose the game if he plays.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, I have no idea what to think of the Titans.  Every time I think they suck, they win. Every time I think they might be ok, they lose.  This game is a coin flip but the good thing is it will be like a home game with all the Bills fans there.

Sure, to an extent,  you could say that.    Record wise you are correct. 

However....  when you look at it .... they don't stack up as a powerhouse team. 

2-2 Browns that LOST to the JETS with L. Falk as QB ,

2-2 Colts,  L's against Chargers  and RAIDERS.    W against 2-2 Titans and 1-3 Falcons.

2-2 Jags  L's against KC and HOU.   W against Titans and the winless 0-4 Bronco's 

1-3 Falcons.  L's against  Vikes, Colts and Titans, W against the Iggles.

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The last 3 times the Bills have played them, they have been 1-point games (13-12, 14-13, and 35-34) with the Bills winning twice and TN once. So basically, a coin flip. 

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A 67 career qb rating is pretty awful.  I think you would be hard pressed to find a qb with that many starts with a worse one.  That said, our defense is awesome and he just needs to not lose the game if he plays.

As a Buffalo Bills  IMO he's done well.  He's a QB with a head.  He is not TT or MC, or NP or KO.  

As to why he was sitting in his couch  before Buffalo grabbed him   I'll not argue that.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The last 3 times the Bills have played them, they have been 1-point games (13-12, 14-13, and 35-34) with the Bills winning twice and TN once. So basically, a coin flip. 

Which Mariota will we get?  the 3 TD guy or the JAG guy?  

their Defense rankings depending on the category

range hovers around #  17 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Good stat.  The Titans might be most forgettable team in the nfl. 

Side note Dave. What do you think of Mariota?  Apparently, he’s the only qb to not turn the ball over but sometimes he is so underwhelming. 

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

As a Buffalo Bills  IMO he's done well.  He's a QB with a head.  He is not TT or MC, or NP or KO.  

As to why he was sitting in his couch  before Buffalo grabbed him   I'll not argue that.

Which Mariota will we get?  the 3 TD guy or the JAG guy?  

Tyrod is miles better than MB. Kinda insulting to compare them.  And even though he’s a coward and I hate him, Orton is way better too.  Some of you put way too much stock in one game.  

I think MB could win but his arm is really weak and he will get destroyed if he has to play a lot.  And I love him coming out of college.  He just doesn’t have the physical tools.