Will offense operate better with Barkley next week?

GG

15 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I just watched the game again and Barkley wasn’t any better than Allen. In a full quarter he got zero points. One drive was three and out with three straight bad passes to slightly open WR. He missed other open guys. He fumbled. He threw the INT. It’s possible the Brown pass to Yeldon is easier if the short toss back to Brown was accurate but he made Brown jump for it. His one good play was a spectacular catch by Brown. 

Barkley didn't have a great game, but he wasn't awful, either.  There was one sequence where he threw three low but catchable balls that were all dropped by Jones, Brown and Beasley.  He was coming off the bench against the best defense in the league.  I think I'll wait until I see him this Sunday with a full week of preparation before I decide that he sucks.  Last year he put up the Bills' best QB game of the year against a not-terrible Jets defense.  I'm not sure why people think he can't do that again.  He reminds me of Orton, with a slightly weaker arm.  

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was refuting the claim that he can put point up when needed.  He can't.

Demonstrably false, as he proved last year against the Jets. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I just watched the game again and Barkley wasn’t any better than Allen. In a full quarter he got zero points. One drive was three and out with three straight bad passes to slightly open WR. He missed other open guys. He fumbled. He threw the INT. It’s possible the Brown pass to Yeldon is easier if the short toss back to Brown was accurate but he made Brown jump for it. His one good play was a spectacular catch by Brown. 

Barkley had 20 less passing yards than Allen on 12 less attempts. He got “zero points” because they went for it on fourth down and his pass went off May Day Jones’ hands. 

Things Barkley didn’t do:

-throw 3 horrific interceptions into triple coverage

-take drive killing sacks to move us out of FG range in Pats territory

If Josh Allen didn’t puke on his shoes in Pats territory and we didn’t have to punt on their 40, but instead kicked FG’s, Barkley would have won us that game easy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Barkley didn't have a great game, but he wasn't awful, either.  There was one sequence where he threw three low but catchable balls that were all dropped by Jones, Brown and Beasley.  He was coming off the bench against the best defense in the league.  I think I'll wait until I see him this Sunday with a full week of preparation before I decide that he sucks.  Last year he put up the Bills' best QB game of the year against a not-terrible Jets defense.  I'm not sure why people think he can't do that again.  He reminds me of Orton, with a slightly weaker arm.  

Demonstrably false, as he proved last year against the Jets. 

Wrong.

The Bills had a 17 point lead before Barkley threw a TD. 

The game was over by 2 minutes remaining in the 1st Q....14-0 and never looked back at a bad Jets team.  He was 4-9 passing to that point.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wrong.

The game was over by 2 minutes remaining in the 1st Q....14-0 and never looked back at a bad Jets team.  He was 4-9 passing to that point.

Didn’t Josh have a couple TO’s and almost lose the game against the Jets this year? 

8 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Barkley had 20 less passing yards than Allen on 12 less attempts. He got “zero points” because they went for it on fourth down and his pass went off May Day Jones’ hands. 

If Josh Allen didn’t puke on his shoes in Pats territory and we didn’t have to punt on their 40, but instead kicked FG’s, Barkley would have won us that game easy.

He did throw 2 ints, one was overturned and one wasn't one of Allens should have been overturned, it wasn't. 

Allen is the better QB and the franchise at this point, if he is able to, he plays, period. 

2 minutes ago, pop gun said:

He did throw 2 ints, one was overturned and one wasn't one of Allens should have been overturned, it wasn't. 

Allen is the better QB and the franchise at this point, if he is able to, he plays, period. 

No, one wasn’t an INT lol. So no, he threw one. Allen threw 3.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wrong.

Nice try.

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

No, one wasn’t an INT lol. So no, he threw one. Allen threw 3.

Allen sideline int should not have been, it should have been an incomplete pass if the ref did their job correctly and knew the rulebook. 

Barkley had 1 and the second one had to go to replay to be seen was incomplete. 

I don't care what anybody says Allen is the best QB on the roster by a lot and the QB of this team going forward.

Snivel all you want Barkley is not starting unless Josh is injured.

2 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Allen sideline int should not have been, it should have been an incomplete pass if the ref did their job correctly and knew the rulebook. 

Barkley had 1 and the second one had to go to replay to be seen was incomplete. 

I don't care what anybody says Allen is the best QB on the roster by a lot and the QB of this team going forward.

Snivel all you want Barkley is not starting unless Josh is injured.

Listen, I also wish Barkley wasn’t a better option. Unfortunately, much like the box score interceptions, sometimes the cold hard truth does not care.

24 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Jones wasnt even in the endzone when it hit his hands and was coming further out with a Patriot right on his back. He wasnt going to score even if he caught it.

The one Josh threw into alleged triple coverage was not an INT as was finally shown. All three were bad passes but also leaping catches by the Patriots. He was playing fine in the second half.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Jones wasnt even in the endzone when it hit his hands and was coming further out with a Patriot right on his back. He wasnt going to score even if he caught it.

The one Josh threw into alleged triple coverage was not an INT as was finally shown. All three were bad passes but also leaping catches by the Patriots. He was playing fine in the second half.

Oh so now it’s “alleged” triple coverage because someone said it shouldn’t have counted as an INT? Let’s go one step further, how about it’s “alleged” that Josh Allen even threw that ball? 

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Oh so now it’s “alleged” triple coverage because someone said it shouldn’t have counted as an INT? Let’s go one step further, how about it’s “alleged” that Josh Allen even threw that ball? 

If you want to get technical not one of them was into triple coverage. The other two, one was double coverage and one was single coverage. There were three guys close enough to the ball on the third one but it was not triple coverage, he just made a terrible decision and terrible throw that was not even an interception.

53 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was refuting the claim that he can put point up when needed.  He can't.

Is this based on factual data of the points he's contributed to in his brief career or your perpetual need to be an argumentative @#_&?

• Haha (+1) 1

Maybe...Barkley can be effective that is for sure over a few games...he throws on time and in rhythm and is usually pretty accurate(including his deep balls--that 3rd and 9 throw to Brown on his first play was a thing of beauty)...whether that could continue over an entire season i would be more skeptical of...

Edited by matter2003

18 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe...Barkley can be effective that is for sure over a few games...he throws on time and in rhythm and is usually pretty accurate(including his deep balls--that 3rd and 9 throw to Brown on his first play was a thing of beauty)...whether that could continue over an entire season i would be more skeptical of...

It was a spectacular one handed catch against his shoulder falling backwards after catching it over his head.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

you're gonna have to explain this one to me.

See my posts above.

50 minutes ago, GG said:

Is this based on factual data of the points he's contributed to in his brief career or your perpetual need to be an argumentative @#_&?

Yes.

But if arguing using facts makes me a @#_&, I can live with that.  Just doing my part to refute the torrents of BS that get posted.  I'm hardly alone in that...

Anyway, it's a fool's argument.  It doesn't matter what Barkley does if he starts Sunday.  Josh is the QB, Barkley is the place sitter.

42 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

If the plan is for Matt Barkley to "win " the football game we are in deep doo doo.  I expect heavy run game, the usual great D and hopefully better special teams to set up the Bills to manufacture 20 points somehow

Me too. I just want to win.  And, 20 points would be our 2nd highest point total of the year.  

Really we should be playing the style of offense you described instead of trying to run a fancy pass offense and turning the football over regularly.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

See my posts above.

Which one?

3 TDs and 6 picks in 3 1/2 games and 4 fumbles is not "protecting the football" which you said Josh was better at than Barkley.  What evidence could you possibly have?  

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Me too. I just want to win.  And, 20 points would be our 2nd highest point total of the year.  

Really we should be playing the style of offense you described instead of trying to run a fancy pass offense and turning the football over regularly.

Which one?

3 TDs and 6 picks in 3 1/2 games and 4 fumbles is not "protecting the football" which you said Josh was better at than Barkley.  What evidence could you possibly have?  

Barkely had a fumble and an INT in one quarter. That is eight in a game.

Realistically and this is not just this week if Barkley plays, they need to run more and get play action going.  Daboll offense looks like something a 10 year vet with great perimeter players would be running  Not a raw qb behind a still in progress O line with lets be gracious here , decent skill guys

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Which one?

You're joking, right?

"The Bears needed lots of points when Barkley had a 6 game stretch as a starter.  He tossed 8 TDs over that period.  And 14 INTs.  Fumbled 4 times.  He once beat the Jets.  Half of his TD passes as a Bill went to Dion Dawkins (1)."

Edited by Mr. WEO

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You're joking, right?

"The Bears needed lots of points when Barkley had a 6 game stretch as a starter.  He tossed 8 TDs over that period.  And 14 INTs.  Fumbled 4 times.  He once beat the Jets.  Half of his TD passes as a Bill went to Dion Dawkins (1)."

No I'm not.

Calm down Mr. WEO.  I'm not saying Barkley is better and should play if Allen is ready.  But, if Josh is out which I suspect, then I think Barkley could lead a more conservative offense with running the football and short timing drop back and throw passes that Matt is good at and we can win.  We shouldn't need a ton of points because our D is stout.   Most important thing, don't turn the football over.

I don't understand why you're so down on Matt. Ever since he's been here he has done pretty well.  Probably our best backup since Coach McDermott arrived. He's our guy this week probably.  Let's win.  Go BILLS !!

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

No I'm not.

Calm down Mr. WEO.  I'm not saying Barkley is better and should play if Allen is ready.  But, if Josh is out which I suspect, then I think Barkley could lead a more conservative offense with running the football and short timing drop back and throw passes that Matt is good at and we can win.  We shouldn't need a ton of points because our D is stout.   Most important thing, don't turn the football over.

I don't understand why you're so down on Matt. Ever since he's been here he has done pretty well.  Probably our best backup since Coach McDermott arrived. He's our guy this week probably.  Let's win.  Go BILLS !!

I'm down on the notion being pushed on this thread, believe it or not, that Barkley is more fit for the offense that Daboll is running.  ANd that he protects the ball better.

He has played so little real football with the Bills at all, let alone this season, that it's impossible to claim he is better fit for this offense.

His past as a starter has proven that he's not good at all at protecting the ball.

That's all.  He's a good backup (but his resume is VERY thin there--or worse).  Hope Allen gets back ASAP. 

• Like (+1) 3

I think Josh would’ve found a way to win that game yesterday.  He plays best late when the game is on the line. We needed his ability to get away from pressure on those last couple drives.

Now that being said, Barkley may be a great play for this Sunday vs Tennessee.  They won’t need 40 points to win.  The Bills need a game manager for this one. With a few days of practice and 1st string reps, Barkley should be good to go.  I suspect we will see a nice short/intermediate passing game with Matt.  And if Singletary is back that only helps.  I feel like the D is due for a big pick six or fumble return. I’m fine with Barkley getting the Titans game.

6 hours ago, pop gun said:

Yeah, didn't think you would answer it. Try watching the game instead of just highlights, you half fan!

You advocate for Barkley but won't all out say so because you don't want to commit and paint yourself into a corner because you can always retort, "i didn't say that", yeah whatever.

Josh is the unquestioned starter, if you can't see that (don't know how you would just by watching highlights) you're lost and only wants to argue with your half wit opinions! 

I did answer it, you tried to turn it in to something it's not. Don't talk to me about half wit since your IQ is apparently in the single digits. You completely ignore what I said and put your own spin on it. SPECIFICALLY, I said when Allen is cleared, then yes, he should be starting. Fake fan? I'm a fan of this team, while you're just a fan of Allen the way you go on about him making pathetic excuses about this or that. Whether you like it or not, Allen played bad yesterday, nothing you can say to that. You're starting to remind me of that moron from jetnation named SAR1. You 2 should hook up and maybe between the both of you, you might have 1/4 of a brain.

2 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Don't talk to me about half wit since your IQ is apparently in the single digits. You completely ignore what I said and put your own spin on it. SPECIFICALLY, I said when Allen is cleared, then yes, he should be starting. Fake fan? I'm a fan of this team,

Dude, take a chill pill.  It's just a football game.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I think Josh would’ve found a way to win that game yesterday.  He plays best late when the game is on the line. We needed his ability to get away from pressure on those last couple drives.

Now that being said, Barkley may be a great play for this Sunday vs Tennessee.  They won’t need 40 points to win.  The Bills need a game manager for this one. With a few days of practice and 1st string reps, Barkley should be good to go.  I suspect we will see a nice short/intermediate passing game with Matt.  And if Singletary is back that only helps.  I feel like the D is due for a big pick six or fumble return. I’m fine with Barkley getting the Titans game.

seems as simple as this when you look at things clearly

well done