Will offense operate better with Barkley next week?

GG

This is really a combination of several threads - Onto the Titans, Josh Concussion Protocol, Daboll offense doesn't score in 1st half, and John Brown talking about how complicated the offense is.

I think it's unlikely that Josh plays next week because the NFL doesn't take concussions lightly, and with Bills facing a bye in week 6 they will play it safe with him.

We knew that Allen was the least ready of the 2018 prospects, and any great defense will force him into mistakes.  That's why Daboll was screaming at him on the sidelines, because he continues to force the ball when it's not necessary.  It's also obvious that Josh is having trouble executing Daboll's complex offense and the new players haven't helped the kid yet.  Or maybe Allen is emboldened to take more risks with the new guys and that hasn't worked out yet.

What is obvious is that Barkley is better prepared to run this offense, as designed, but clearly can't do what Josh can if the play breaks down.  

I think that another break will be important for Allen to settle down, as he watches Barkley's methodical approach take apart the opposing defenses.   I don't think Barkley will struggle next week, and will put together some good tape for Allen to study.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'd feel better about next week if Singletary plays.  Barkley will need as much help as possible.  He will need to get the ball out quickly since our O-line is struggling with pass protection.  The run game and short, quick passes will be a good start, rather than the long ball requiring a longer time of pass protection.

• Like (+1) 5

The Titans have a pretty decent defense, but no where near our calibur. The big test will be with this o line. As you pointed out, Barkley can't make something out of nothing like Allen can. But I do think Barkley is better at going through his progressions, but this O line will have to play lights out and give better protection. If Singletary comes back, I believe we win rather convincingly

• Like (+1) 1

This team as it stands reminds me of the giants/ravens sb teams of recent where the defense is on another level and we have gunslinger/journeyman qb's ala Allen/Barkley. If either one of these average qb's can get on the level of "hot enough" the same way flacco or eli could, i honestly think either qb could win a lot of games for us

• Like (+1) 2

Did it operate better this week.  I was upset and wanted him benched to settle him down but he came out in the second half and marched down the field.  He had NE on the run so they cheapshoted him.  In crunch time I think Allen is a beast and there is no other QB I would rather have in the fourth quarter.  Unfortunately you have to bare with him in the first half.

• Like (+1) 9

5 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'd feel better about next week if Singletary plays.  Barkley will need as much help as possible.  He will need to get the ball out quickly since our O-line is struggling with pass protection.  The run game and short, quick passes will be a good start, rather than the long ball requiring a longer time of pass protection.

That was the biggest difference I noticed after Allen came out of the game:  Barkley gets rid of the ball much faster.  Allen held on to the ball forever; reminded me of Tyrod in his worst games.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It is not obvious. ;). Josh gives them much better chance. 

Short term vs long term goal?

This could be a case where Josh again benefits from sitting down and watching.   

Just now, GG said:

Short term vs long term goal?

This could be a case where Josh again benefits from sitting down and watching.   

Barkley is not good. He's way overrated here. Josh benefits by experience imo. He's a different kind of guy. Three minutes to go, even today when he was awful at times, I wouldn't bet against him. He's still raw. He's going to make more mistakes than most guys.  But he has intangibles and playmaking ability that override a lot of it 

• Like (+1) 4

The best our offense has ever looked with Dabol, was the only game Barkley started. Not saying it will happen again but after a week of #1 reps...my guess is Matt will be much more efficient then Allen. Definitely want Singletary back though. The top of the defense won’t be organicly lifted off by the presence of Allen’s arm. Just don’t tell any of the defenses that although Allen can throw it deep, he never completes it

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Barkley is not good. He's way overrated here. Josh benefits by experience imo. He's a different kind of guy. Three minutes to go, even today when he was awful at times, I wouldn't bet against him. He's still raw. He's going to make more mistakes than most guys.  But he has intangibles and playmaking ability that override a lot of it 

The big issue is that his play in the first 3 Qs  puts the entire onus on the defense to keep the game in check.  There's no question that I would rather have him than Barkley when the game is on the line with 3 minutes to go.  But realistically, the first 3 games should have been blow outs, and today's game wouldn't need last minute heroics with half way decent QB play.  

I think that at this point, with the offense that Daboll is running, Barkley is the better option.   

There has to be concern about Allen's regression this year, especially when the long ball has been woefully off.

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This. For the Bills to win with Barkley everyone has to play a near perfect game. Singletary needs to be in there. 

Allen is capable of things Barkley can never dream about doing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

The big issue is that his play in the first 3 Qs  puts the entire onus on the defense to keep the game in check.  There's no question that I would rather have him than Barkley when the game is on the line with 3 minutes to go.  But realistically, the first 3 games should have been blow outs, and today's game wouldn't need last minute heroics with half way decent QB play.  

I think that at this point, with the offense that Daboll is running, Barkley is the better option.   

There has to be concern about Allen's regression this year, especially when the long ball has been woefully off.

Which regression are we talking about here?

Regression in completion percentage?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Love ya, man. I think that's crazy talk. ;)