Will offense operate better with Barkley next week?

GG

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Barkley isn’t good. The people hyping him up as one of the best backups in the league must be on drugs. 

To answer the question, if Allen can play then he should play. He’s by far our best option.

Thank you sir, for being the clarion beacon of common sense.

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

So you are shifting your point from Barkley playing because Allen is hurt to Barkley playing because he is a better short term option.  So you are trying to hide a QB controversy within your thread.   Just be honest.

There's no QB controversy.  The concussion will be a good excuse for McD and Daboll to sit Allen down because he desperately needs it right now.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GG said:

So you crap on the QB who had 2 of the longest drives today, was totally left exposed by an OL brainfart, but excuse the guy who threw 3 ridiculous INTs and fumbled twice?

You don't bench a potential franchise QB because he's having a bad game.  If teams did that against Belichick's defenses over the years there would be a lot less franchise QB's.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Doc Brown said:

You don't bench a potential franchise QB because he's having a bad game.  If teams did that against Belichick's defenses over the years there would be a lot less franchise QB's.

THIS.

Love how this call is being made after the first loss of the season. To the Patriots.

IN WEEK FOUR.

*face on desk*

Allen needs to learn to manage the game. He forces the ball and runs way too much. This leads to a lot of opportunities for interceptions, fumbles and injuries. He needs to learn when to throw the ball away. Look at Brady: he played like crap but they won because he took much better care of the ball.

Josh can use his size and strength to do things that Barkley can’t do.  Josh is the strongly preferred starter.  

If Barkley is going to play, then the game plan should involve a lot of running plays, and the passes should be mostly slants and screens.  Quick release, short pass types of plays.  Occasionally let one fly just to keep the defense honest.  That’s a game management approach.  I believe that Barkley can do ok in that scenario, for one game at least.

The defense will have to make sure that the offense isn’t forced into a shootout.

I’m expecting Allen to play but for the sake of fairness here...Let’s say Barkley plays:

By far the best Dabols offense has looked, was with Barkley. (With the same players) We scored 41 on the road against a division opponent. And that game was on ice for the entire second half. We could have easily got 50+ if we needed it. This offense has never looked like that with Allen. Let’s say Barkley goes down to Tennessee and puts up 38 in a win. People are going to have to start thinking differently about how good Allen has been. I’m not saying any of these things are going to happen. But Barkley played 1 game where he was expected to start. And he absolutely lit it up. This offense has never looked as good before or since. If Barkley takes the reps with the 1s all week and then lights it up. It’s going to say a lot about Allen. That day against the jets looked effortless. This defense is elite. We need the offense to stay on time and not make asinine mistakes. If we click on all cylinders for 4 quarters in Tennessee (with Barkley) then it’s going to show us something about Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, GG said:

The big issue is that his play in the first 3 Qs  puts the entire onus on the defense to keep the game in check.  There's no question that I would rather have him than Barkley when the game is on the line with 3 minutes to go.  But realistically, the first 3 games should have been blow outs, and today's game wouldn't need last minute heroics with half way decent QB play.  

I think that at this point, with the offense that Daboll is running, Barkley is the better option.   

There has to be concern about Allen's regression this year, especially when the long ball has been woefully off.

Regression?

Yes, Allen has made mistakes, but I do not see anything to indicate that he is regressing.

The more Allen plays the better. That's how I see it.

8 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Wow, all this Barkley hate. The guy hasn't played in a regular season game in almost a year, and gets shredded because he didn't win the game for us.

Nobody hates Barkley. And he shouldn't get shredded for his performance today, he came in as a backup and fulfilled his role. He just doesn't do anything better than Allen at all, and to suggest he should start because he's a better fit for the offense and that Allen needs to sit is laughable.

I mean...they are calling redzone lateral passes for Barkley, sorry but that is not an indication the staff thinks he is any kind of superior option right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, vincec said:

Allen needs to learn to manage the game. He forces the ball and runs way too much. This leads to a lot of opportunities for interceptions, fumbles and injuries. He needs to learn when to throw the ball away. Look at Brady: he played like crap but they won because he took much better care of the ball.

Oh I'm pretty sure that and Allen's picks weren't the only reasons

57 minutes ago, GG said:

Short term vs long term goal?

This could be a case where Josh again benefits from sitting down and watching.   

Barkley can’t throw effectively outside the numbers except when he does accurately placed lobs. And he’s immobile. Both QBs have big weaknesses (i.e., Allen can’t seem to throw an accurate deep ball to save his life right now. He is AWFUL in that dept. so far this season.)

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Exactly. Folks need to check out BBs record vs QB with 2 years or less experience. It ain’t pretty for the QBs. A few did well, like the great Mark Sanchez.