Bills (1-0) at Jets (0-1) Postgame thread

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is how the national narrative will be.

But the truth is the Bills were pretty dominant in this game from the start, but this game is also a great example of how the football sometimes bounces as funny as it's shaped.

Every single turnover was flukish in nature to one degree or another. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is how the national narrative will be.

But the truth is the Bills were pretty dominant in this game from the start, but this game is also a great example of how the football sometimes bounces as funny as it's shaped.

Every single turnover was flukish in nature to one degree or another. 

I keep hearing how incompetent the Jets offense was.  Nonsense.  This defense is going to make a lot of offenses look bad.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Here is the other thing about Allen. 

How often over the years have we been waiting for that John Brown TD throw in the 4th QTR and NEVER get it. 

As much the WR being an NFL caliber WR as the throw but I agree with you. Josh last year with who he was throwing to, with his line, should have an asterisk next to it

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Here is the other thing about Allen. 

How often over the years have we been waiting for that John Brown TD throw in the 4th QTR and NEVER get it. 

And the great Sam Darnold couldn’t answer...

13 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Darnold is not the reason they lost, but it must be tough for those fans to watch Allen look like a playmaker. Allen is out there making plays with his feet and showing off an elite arm. Darnold plays like a glorified Trent Edwards while Allen plays a bit like Favre. 

The same fans that saw him gift wrapping a game to them in the 1st Quarter?

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

I keep hearing how incompetent the Jets offense was.  Nonsense.  This defense is going to make a lot of offenses look bad.

The defence today was better then expected and probably could have been even better had they been able to play a little looser with a lead.

They made what should be a pretty good offence look pedestrian all day

I just don't understand why they didn't kick the FG instead of punting at the end?

The punt ends up a touchback which would be the same as if they were kicking off and atleast this way the Jets have to score a TD. I kept expecting them to get into range ad then the kicker would redeem himself by kicking a perfect FG to make up for the rest of the game and get a win.

Atleast it all worked out and their kicker was probably given a one way ticket back home as he got back to his locker.......

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

The defence today was better then expected and probably could have been even better had they been able to play a little looser with a lead.

They made what should be a pretty good offence look pedestrian all day

That Jets offense has some nice pieces. Bell is as advertised; just a load to bring down and a great receiver.  And Crowder is a real pain in the ass.  Bills just shut it down.

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

I just don't understand why they didn't kick the FG instead of punting at the end?

The punt ends up a touchback which would be the same as if they were kicking off and atleast this way the Jets have to score a TD. I kept expecting them to get into range ad then the kicker would redeem himself by kicking a perfect FG to make up for the rest of the game and get a win.

Atleast it all worked out and their kicker was probably given a one way ticket back home as he got back to his locker.......

If they miss the FG, Jets take over at their own 43 yard line—too close to FG range.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

Amazing odds were stacked against the Bills D today with the O caughing up the football 4 times. The O goes a negative 8 points in the 1st half

I've never seen anything like it.

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Punt is the play there. Gives the Jets the ball back with the most field togo, no timeouts and practically no chance. If you miss the FG then suddenly they are like 30 yards from winning FG range.

I won't comment on what anyone else said in this threat, until I can fully review for logical commentary, grammar and punctuation.

For now, a few thoughts.

Allen did some good and some bad. Sure, he led a fourth quarter comeback, but the defense factored a huge part into that, as they kept it within reach. He did a few things early on with short passes that really impressed me. I'll look forward to that development. However, we really need a big (sized) TE and WR to be a regular chain mover for him. He's being asked to do too much at this stage of his career. His arm astounds me.

Jordan Poyer is such a player and a leader. Period. Exclamation Point. Oxford Comma.

3 minutes ago, vincec said:

Punt is the play there. Gives the Jets the ball back with the most field togo, no timeouts and practically no chance. If you miss the FG then suddenly they are like 30 yards from winning FG range.

Its a 43 yarder, they have a similar chance of missing the FG as they do having the punt blocked, the punter shanking it, or a possible return.

Make the FG and you force the Jets to score a TD

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Its a 43 yarder, they have a similar chance of missing the FG as they do having the punt blocked, the punter shanking it, or a possible return.

Make the FG and you force the Jets to score a TD

Its far more likely to miss a 43 yard FG than have a punt blocked, especially in max protect. If you miss the FG, they get the ball at the spot- the 40. So they only need like 30 yards to be in FG range. Odds of a blocked punt when you are in max protect are very low and there really should be no return when punting from the 35. It either goes into the end zone or is so high as to be unreturnable. Anyway, that's my view on it.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, vincec said:

Their kicker really was struggling, They played the percentages and I think we were correct as to what they really had to do

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, vincec said:

But if you miss the FG, which is by far the most likely bad thing that can happen, they get the ball at the spot- midfield. So they only need like 20 yards to be in FG range. Odds of a blocked punt when you are in max protect are very low and there really should be no return when punting from the 35. It either goes into the end zone or is so high as to be unreturnable. Anyway, that's my view on it.

And your view is the correct one. Obviously punting was the correct call at that time in the game. No doubt about it.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1