Bills (1-0) at Jets (0-1) Postgame thread

YoloinOhio

josh contributed to almost 6 turnovers. 

turnover #1 - josh allen is careless and get stripped in pocket

turnover #2- josh allen throws bad pass low, bounces off beasley, intercepted

turnover almost #3 - josh allen throws bad pass. gets intercepted. nullified by jets penalty.

turnover #3 - josh allen muffs snap

turnover #4 - josh allen pass tipped. ball comes out low, right through an unblocked edge rusher.

turnover almost #6 - josh allen throws bad pass, dropped by defender  maye

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they both have a lot of potential. I do think after seeing one game (admittedly it is early in the relationship) that Gase may neuter Darnold with his playcalling

Oh for sure.  You can tell that Darnold is an NFL QB.  I'm looking forward to a great rivalry between these two.  

I think Darnold is at his best with a clean pocket and doesn't improvise as well as Allen.  If the Jets give him a good offensive line, he's gonna put up some numbers in his career.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, papazoid said:

turnover almost #3 - josh allen throws bad pass. gets intercepted. nullified by jets penalty.

turnover #4 - josh allen pass tipped. ball comes out low, right through an unblocked edge rusher.

news flash good QBs sometimes commit turnovers and all of them have INTs or near INTs every game its how react to them. I remember games where Kelly throws multiple picks in first half but then comes out and wins the game in the 2nd. Allen is young there will be mistakes but he WON the game and made plays when it counted but that must have just been lucky huh

8 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

What he is saying is true, but cause he is Allen is the saviour and franchise, its ok. 

Cause Bills fans want to BILLieve so bad in Allen, you overlook how bad his first half was. It was Peterman level bad. 

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Good grief.

I sometimes wonder if people watched the Bills' game, let alone other games around the league.

I fault Allen on 3 of the 4 turnovers, but to say he looked anything even remotely close to Peterman is the height of foolishness.  Seriously.

When I see anyone claim that the pick-6 is on Josh, I know immediately that they're operating with an agenda.  That's just stupid.  He threw the ball low and inside where it's supposed to be, and Beasley let the ball bounce off of his arms for a turnover just as he did in Detroit in the preseason.  That's on Beasley, and it's obvious.

The team moved the ball well in the first half...if they didn't have issues with hanging onto the football (both Allen and the pass-catchers), things could've been much different.  But that's not the point.  The point is that, despite having a nightmarish first half, despite giving up a safety on their only touch through 10 minutes of 3rd quarter play, despite not having attempted a pass until over 11 minutes through the 3rd quarter, and despite being down 16-0 on the road to a divisional opponent, the kid pulled it together, scored 17 unanswered points, and won a game that more than a few fans on this board (not me) called a "must win" earlier in the week.

2 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

news flash good QBs sometimes commit turnovers and all of them have INTs or near INTs every game its how react to them. I remember games where Kelly throws multiple picks in first half but then comes out and wins the game in the 2nd. Allen is young there will be mistakes but he WON the game and made plays when it counted but that must have just been lucky huh

Just contrast the 4th quarters of the top 3 QBs picked in 2018.  How did Allen compare to Mayfield and Darnold when the game was on the line?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Its ok, Allen led them down the field for the win so you can overlook them. ?

He is still an inaccurate QB but he is the saviour so its not important. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The only turnover that I don't put on Allen is the pick-6. That's on Beasley all day, though the bounce was just bad luck.

I honestly don't get why people want to assign ANY blame to Allen on that play.  A receiver's job is to catch catchable passes - including those that aren't perfect.  The pass wasn't perfect, but was eminently catchable.  As you say - the bounce was just bad luck.

I also think too much is made of int off batted pass.  That is another fluky bad luck play.  Sure sometimes the QB needs awareness of where defenders are etc, but the majority of the time it's just a hand that goes up and it's just bad luck - or a great defensive play.  And then for it to be intercepted is basically the definition of fluke - the ball can go ANYWHERE after being deflected.  Some people were ranting about how terrible that throw was bc it was deflected.  It just happens sometimes.  Darnold had five (5) batted passes - but none were intercepted because normally they aren't.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Idiocy.

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

also idiocy.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

I honestly don't get why people want to assign ANY blame to Allen on that play.  A receiver's job is to catch catchable passes - including those that aren't perfect.  The pass wasn't perfect, but was eminently catchable.  As you say - the bounce was just bad luck.

I also think too much is made of int off batted pass.  That is another fluky bad luck play.  Sure sometimes the QB needs awareness of where defenders are etc, but the majority of the time it's just a hand that goes up and it's just bad luck - or a great defensive play.  And then for it to be intercepted is basically the definition of fluke - the ball can go ANYWHERE after being deflected.  Some people were ranting about how terrible that throw was bc it was deflected.  It just happens sometimes.  Darnold had five (5) batted passes - but none were intercepted because normally they aren't.

Truth.  I thought I read somewhere that batted passes are up across the league in the last 2-3 years as offenses have gone to quick passing games.  Defenders are getting better at getting their hands up and focusing more on flooding passing lanes when it's clear that they can't get home in <2.5 seconds. 

2 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I give up Allen sucks Bills gonna suck the next 2 years because of this fact there is no hope im gonna go becomne a pats fan we are DOOMED. 

8 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

He is still an inaccurate QB but he is the saviour so its not important

Don't let your initial dislike of the draft pick cloud your judgment from here on out--it will be a looooonnnnggggg next few decades as a Bills fan if you're not happy with Allen as the starter. The key here, imho, is how Allen kept himself together and didn't waver in his confidence to make the throws that needed to be made--TD pass to Brown perfect example of that--the bad QB's are the ones that don't learn from their mistakes and are incapable of overcoming them. Allen did.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

What he is saying is true, but cause he is Allen is the saviour and franchise, its ok. 

Cause Bills fans want to BILLieve so bad in Allen, you overlook how bad his first half was. It was Peterman level bad. 

do you still think only bills fans drink lite beer?

1 minute ago, teef said:

have you a conversation with this guy before.  you're wasting your breath.

No; first time.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Christian McCaffrey is phenomenal.  I was talking about this yesterday, and there are 4 running back that are head-and-shoulders above the rest of the NFL when they're healthy: Zeke, Gurley, Kamara, and McCaffrey.  And then there's Saquon Barkley, who's somehow better than all of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, pepsicat17 said:

Can’t wait to see Singletary used more in the game plan now and watch his progression. Any offense coordinator worth their salt would use him more going forward... right???

I agree! Last year in 161 attempts Shady had (3) 20+ runs, in (4) attempts yesterday Singletary had (2). Beane and coach look like they made the right decision moving on from Shady and giving Devin the starting nod. 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It was a low throw that absolutely should've been caught. I don't fault Allen for that one at all.

I was more so concerned about the INT he threw that didn't count due to a penalty and the one throw in the 2nd half that should've been INT'd down by the Jets goal line. Two really bad decisions. 

Especially early in his career, we're going to see some throws that Josh wishes he could have back. He's a bit of a gambler thinking his big arm can fit it in a small window. As long as the good outweighs the bad and we're winning, I'm good with it. This was only his 12th game of his career, as he matures it should get better. I thought overall he showed good progress over last year and I love that he's unflappable, even down 16 on the road late in the 3rd.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, papazoid said:

on the beasley deflection...

the announcer HOF QB Kurt Warner put the majority of blame (not all) on Allen , said ball was low (knee high)  and away (on beasley's hip outside), but said he still should have caught it, but a hard one to handle.

you just don't expect a ball to bounce up in that manner,  its not at all like a high pass that is tipped to a defender.  That int was just a fluke pure and simple. 

What was worse imo was the 2 bad passes that could have been interceptions - the one was dropped and one called back on penalty. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, papazoid said:

the announcer HOF QB Kurt Warner put the majority of blame (not all) on Allen , said ball was low (knee high)  and away (on beasley's hip outside), but said he still should have caught it, but a hard one to handle.

The ball hit him in the hands with nobody between him and the ball.  His body was shielding the ball from any defender, and nobody else had a chance at the ball.

If you can find a way to blame Allen, then that's a special kind of analysis that I can't defend.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Good grief.

I sometimes wonder if people watched the Bills' game, let alone other games around the league.

I fault Allen on 3 of the 4 turnovers, but to say he looked anything even remotely close to Peterman is the height of foolishness.  Seriously.

When I see anyone claim that the pick-6 is on Josh, I know immediately that they're operating with an agenda.  That's just stupid.  He threw the ball low and inside where it's supposed to be, and Beasley let the ball bounce off of his arms for a turnover just as he did in Detroit in the preseason.  That's on Beasley, and it's obvious.

The team moved the ball well in the first half...if they didn't have issues with hanging onto the football (both Allen and the pass-catchers), things could've been much different.  But that's not the point.  The point is that, despite having a nightmarish first half, despite giving up a safety on their only touch through 10 minutes of 3rd quarter play, despite not having attempted a pass until over 11 minutes through the 3rd quarter, and despite being down 16-0 on the road to a divisional opponent, the kid pulled it together, scored 17 unanswered points, and won a game that more than a few fans on this board (not me) called a "must win" earlier in the week.

Just contrast the 4th quarters of the top 3 QBs picked in 2018.  How did Allen compare to Mayfield and Darnold when the game was on the line?

Speaking of Darnold (who I think do is pretty good): https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/146694-the-underthrown-darnold-pass-to-robby-that-would-have-won-the-game/

The dissection of the play along with the gnashing of teeth feels very, very familiar ...

37 minutes ago, papazoid said:

It was Rich Gannon, not Warner.

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Speaking of Darnold (who I think do is pretty good): https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/146694-the-underthrown-darnold-pass-to-robby-that-would-have-won-the-game/

The dissection of the play along with the gnashing of teeth feels very, very familiar ...

Jets' fans need to chill.  They've got a good young QB who will be good for a long time.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Look, he obviously has flaws and critiques deserve to be made, but inaccurate is am unfair knock. 64% is not bad, and that's with all the bad plays you are dragging up.

Plus, accuracy is absolutely effected by playcalling and doesn't reflect situational football. Darnold dinked and dunked his way to 68%, but less than 4 yards per attempt. 

I am far from Allen's biggest supporter and you clearly have an agenda.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Many previous Bills QB's we've had over the past couple decades would have not made that throw.   

I really can't think of one since Kelly, Bledsoe possibly. Either way is good to see our young QB give a WR, who's known to fight for the ball, a chance. Those two could be special with a little more time together.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

What I love about this play (and shows me JA’s progression) is watch the safety.  There was a great tweet with an end zone look right down the middle at JA and Brown that also showed me why the safety did not get there.

Josh Allen used his eyes and the field to freeze the single high safety.  Last year this was either a pick or a Pass break-up because Josh was staring down the receiver and did not trust what he saw.  This play he looked at Brown - then moved his eyes to the middle of the field right at the safety.  Then he peeks at Brown and quickly peaks back at the play developing right in front of the safety - then bang that ball is out and Brown does the rest.  The safety never was in the play until Brown is crossing the goal line.

Josh makes many mistakes, but he is progressing and you can really see the talent.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1