A Turbo-charged version of Kyle Williams? How the Bills will make Ed Oliver even better than he was in college

The most consistently successful personnel executives and evaluators will tell you that you’re far more likely to extract the most out of a draft by focusing on what players can do than what they can’t do. Eliminating a player’s potential positives can be a way to cover one’s behind, just in case things don’t work out. It takes more of a backbone to pound the table for a prospect when that prospect’s abilities are hidden in a bad scheme fit. Every year, there are draftable players who must be evaluated in isolation and projected to a team’s specific philosophies, because the systems they worked through in college did not benefit them at all.

In the case of the 2019 draft, Houston defensive lineman Ed Oliver stands apart and alone as a singular athletic talent who will be a next-level force in the NFL if he’s given half a schematic opportunity.

Fortunately for Oliver, he will get just that opportunity

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

I cannot wait to see this guy have a multiple sack game against Josh Rosen. Welcome to the AFC east cupcake

Will Rosen survive the first sack to reach “multiple”? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, #34fan said:

Gonna have to be Jerry or the Lorax.  I doubt Eddo has those kind of chops yet.

Lorax seems like the most likely candidate... for this year.  He's the same age as Kyle.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Lorax/Hyde

Forgot about Hyde.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lorax/Hyde

3 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Lorax seems like the most likely candidate... for this year.  He's the same age as Kyle.

Forgot about Hyde.

Kyle back as an assistant coach seems like a good idea... Even if he's just one on one with Ed.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, #34fan said:

Kyle back as an assistant coach seems like a good idea... Even if he's just one on one with Ed.

I usually don't agree with the "let's hire former Bills player X as a coach" narrative, but this one actually makes some sense. 

2 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Best you could do eh? Stick with the day job, humor ain't your thing bro.

Got something better?  Don't leave us hanging!

8 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

I usually don't agree with the "let's hire former Bills player X as a coach" narrative, but this one actually makes some sense. 

Got something better?  Don't leave us hanging!

A data analyst at the University of Buffalo found that the data shows that the average human has one ball and one testicle. 

Edited by foreboding
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Best I could do? Nah, that was all I needed to do. 

Don’t buy a ticket to my show. We have fun there. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

I cannot wait to see this guy have a multiple sack game against Josh Rosen. Welcome to the AFC east cupcake

I think you meant 'Josh Rosen and Tom Brady'.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Edmonds.

My thoughts exactly.

McDermott didn’t start him as a rook for no reason. He is shepherding Edmonds into that roll. I’m sure the “ leadership” conversation has been had between the two of them.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Let’s all thank the University of Houston for having no idea what to do with him.   No way he is around at 9 if he was used correctly.  

I will mildly disagree- they knew he was the only defender that was not bad- they needed him to do everything like UB did with Khalil Mack

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Thanks for the backup Doc.

URW.  I was actually going to reply to the "who will be the leader of the defense post" but I was out and couldn't do it justice from my phone. 

2 hours ago, foreboding said:

yo I laughed, it was heartless

you should stick to criticizing football instead of other people's jokes my guy

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1