RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

Just now, Tcali said:

no doubt...its kinda in vogue for people to talk about his O line to diminish the guy.....and there may be a point to that if people are spewing about him being the best ever or top 5(hes not close) because all the yards he piled up.But he was still a tremendous runner/.

Amen- dude had a nice long career and a few Super Bowls too! 

2 minutes ago, Tcali said:

no doubt...its kinda in vogue for people to talk about his O line to diminish the guy.....and there may be a point to that if people are spewing about him being the best ever or top 5(hes not close) because all the yards he piled up.But he was still a tremendous runner/.

Even  if the good lord gives you the best line ever, you still have to use it.  The other top 50 running backs with good lines couldn't touch ES

He'll be as good as his O-line. You can see the difference between his Oklahoma tape and where his O-line is more effective against lesser competition. Only thing that bothers me is the tread on his tires and the fact that he's useless in the passing game. Re tread maybe he will take after  Frank Gore. Re receiving out of the backfield we've got Yeldon. This is going to be situational backfield by committee. I think maybe Daboll makes good use of him. Measurables aren't there but the kid looks like a gamer and a football player.

2 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Even  if the good lord gives you the best line ever, you still have to use it.  The other top 50 running backs with good lines couldn't touch ES

There was a best RB of all-time thread on here not too long ago, and clearly I'm in the minority, but the all-time leader in both rushing TD's and rushing yards is firmly in the best of all time conversation for me. Real production matters more than thoughts about what Sayers could have done with a longer career. Emmitt was awesome.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

This is the only team Singletary played agains that is even worth talking about and he got pancaked a lot. He doesn't have the fast burst around the edge that you need in the NFL. Players like Freddy are extremely rare, he didn't have the speed either, but he was a surgeon up the middle and in between the lineman. Devin only had great numbers because he was playing against the likes of Bethune freaking Cookman. 

gee i thought he looked great...

2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

There was a best RB of all-time thread on here not too long ago, and clearly I'm in the minority, but the all-time leader in both rushing TD's and rushing yards is firmly in the best of all time conversation for me. Real production matters more than thoughts about what Sayers could have done with a longer career. Emmitt was awesome.

emmit wasnt as good as gayle sayers or OJ or Brown  ....not close 

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

McCoy has little value. 

That's my issue right now.  If this kid is killin it, do we hold the $9M back for kicks?

Again not wanting to be rumor guy, but opening up $9M could be Ziggy money??

Edited by daz28

3 minutes ago, Tcali said:

gee i thought he looked great...

emmit wasnt as good as gayle sayers or OJ or Brown  ....not close 

except...for all of the records and rings and things that matter.

meh, no need to clog this thread. I like Singletary, and the fact that the Pats were thinking RB in the 3rd as well makes it even more interesting to me.

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

4 RBs. None play Special Teams. 

McCoy the ONLY one with Value.  

Just watch. 

I think he has more value to us than the 6th rounder we would get in a trade.  Now if all the other guys pan out and a team has an injury that moves that up to a 3rd or fourth then maybe.

If you google Devin Singletary, every single comp is to LeSean McCoy (with some Frank Gore).  

Pretty interesting that he’s going to be in the room with both of them this year, most likely.  

Pick is growing on me.   Don’t love that he doesn’t have “breakaway” speed, but how many backs really do?..  Regardless, his next level twitch more than makes up for it. 

Edited by SCBills

Just rewatched the abc coverage and footage of him receiving the call,  his girlfriend (girl in red dress) has some guns on her and was pretty hot.  Take that in a heartbeat. 

Edited by Mopreme

43 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

This is the only team Singletary played agains that is even worth talking about and he got pancaked a lot. He doesn't have the fast burst around the edge that you need in the NFL. Players like Freddy are extremely rare, he didn't have the speed either, but he was a surgeon up the middle and in between the lineman. Devin only had great numbers because he was playing against the likes of Bethune freaking Cookman. 

Look, I don't know Singletary, but I think concluding he doesn't have it based on the Oklahoma game is off base.  

First, Oklahoma had a lot of trouble tackling him. His shifting as beat several OU defenderz, and he was breaking tackles.  

Second, his TEAMMATES are the guys who play at the Bethune Cook man level, and THEY are the ones who were over matched against OU.  THEY were the ones who couldn't make the blocks against NFL caliber defenders.  

I wonder whether Singletary can take the pounding he will get in the NFL.  I'm not worried about 63 yards against Oklahoma.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Look, I don't know Singletary, but I think concluding he doesn't have it based on the Oklahoma game is off base.  

First, Oklahoma had a lot of trouble tackling him. His shifting as beat several OU defenderz, and he was breaking tackles.  

Second, his TEAMMATES are the guys who play at the Bethune Cook man level, and THEY are the ones who were over matched against OU.  THEY were the ones who couldn't make the blocks against NFL caliber defenders.  

I wonder whether Singletary can take the pounding he will get in the NFL.  I'm not worried about 63 yards against Oklahoma.  

Yeah watching that almost every time he was given the ball he had nowhere to go when he did he went there. Video does a better job of showing his ability as a blocker probably.

McCoy has shown that he is no longer capable of being a feature back.  Gore obviously is not either.

You're looking at about 12 carries per game for McCoy (when healthy)

8-10 for Gore (when healthy)

A handful for the rookie, who has two Hall of Fame mentors to ramp up to hopefully become the lead back next year

Yeldon gets third down/passing work

Sounds like a pretty solid approach to handing the running back position, with an eye to the future.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Can they teach him how to run faster?  Shady can teach him the jump cuts that wind up as 4 yard losses.

When NFL Network showed the video on him, they pointed out that he’s proficient on jump cuts.

Did Singletary play against good competition?  My fear is that he looms great against low level competition.  Would have preferred Harris from Bama or a WR (McLaurin) and Love later. 

But I’m cool with the pick.  He has time to adjust to higher level competition behind Shady, Gore and Ivory. Looks like we are rolling four RB’s

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Did Singletary play against good competition?  My fear is that he looms great against low level competition.  Would have preferred Harris from Bama or a WR (McLaurin) and Love later. 

But I’m cool with the pick.  He has time to adjust to higher level competition behind Shady, Gore and Ivory. Looks like we are rolling four RB’s

Wasn't Ivory cut?

Edited by Golden Goat
Or not resigned?

Into the 3rd round I don’t know anything about these players.If you have faith in Bean’s first two picks I’d think you should have faith in the rest of his picks.Also not every draft pick pans out.If we can keep 4 players out of this draft I think it would be a success!!! GO BILLS!!

Gore or Yeldon are gone.

I don't know how anyone thinks we're trading Shady. 

What would we get for him? A 5th round pick?

Shady will remain on the team for another year. Oddly enough he's one of the team leaders and has a tight relationship with Josh.

Personally, I think Yeldon will be gone and this guy is our #3. And we should all be good with that.

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Gore or Yeldon are gone.

Shady will remain on the team for another year. Oddly enough he's one of the team leaders and has a tight relationship with Josh.

Personally, I think Yeldon will be gone and this guy is our #3. And we should all be good with that.

This year? I don't know we have Shady, Gore, Yeldon, and now Singletary I mean if they only want to roll with three I guess someone is either gone or on the PS. Of course theirs still the Rugby guy but unless blows them away he's probably just going to take his free spot on the PS.

2 hours ago, 100DollarBills said:

After watching this I actually feel BETTER about the pick. 

Decisive.  Shifty.  Strong.  Excited to see what he can do.

Just now, Big Blitz said:

After watching this I actually feel BETTER about the pick. 

Decisive.  Shifty.  Strong.  Excited to see what he can do.

I mean, I don't deny his skills. I just don't like taking small school prospects in the top 3 rounds. I gave EO a pass because of his freakish abilities and how Houston ruined his numbers playing nose. My only concern with Devin is his ability to get to the outside in the NFL, and I don't like taking RBs in the top 3 rounds if they can't get outside. 

I dont understand all the hate on shady. He had one bad year behind a terrible o-line and so many are done with him. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt and a chance to show he isnt quite as washed up as some of you think.

1 minute ago, 100DollarBills said:

I mean, I don't deny his skills. I just don't like taking small school prospects in the top 3 rounds. I gave EO a pass because of his freakish abilities and how Houston ruined his numbers playing nose. My only concern with Devin is his ability to get to the outside in the NFL, and I don't like taking RBs in the top 3 rounds if they can't get outside. 

what about his blocking ability?

36 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Gore or Yeldon are gone.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I like this pick a lot but I am surprised after we just signed Yeldon. We cant carry 4 RBs. Feels like we should have waited to sign Yeldon if they liked any of these mid-round RBs.

Why not carry all 4 and let DiMarco go.  His usefulness is over with.

He had only 15% of offensive snaps last year and a lot of those could be taken over by Gore this year.

Daboll will use more 2 TE formations and even less needing a lead blocker which could be Gore.

We all know he is a McDermott guy BUT Gore is a Beane guy.

DiMarco will be that odd man out.

Bills should role with 4 RBs

• Awesome! (+1) 1