RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

4 hours ago, Pete said:

He has a lot of Rob Riddick in him.  The dude has a sense for the end zone.  It was not a panic pick.  The Bills had him in for a visit.  How can someone complain about adding youth and talent to our geriatric backfield?  We got our TE too with Knox.  Ford-Singletary-Knox- that is adding much talent to our offense!

Only thing I can think of is people are bitter and salty cause we didn’t take a wr 

The mystery of Singletary’s size continues.  Can someone get a tape on him!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-florida-atlantics-devin-singletary-is-the-premier-sleeper-running-back-prospect/

Listed at 5-foot-9 and 200 pounds, Singletary has a very compact frame and won't be seen as undersized by most teams. Eclipsing the 190-pound threshold is important for NFL backs. 

There are a few exceptions to the rule -- like Darren Sproles and Tarik Cohen-- but you'll be hard pressed to find successful NFL running backs who weighed under 190 pounds when they entered the league. 

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The more I watch him the more I like him.  Him vs UCF or Oklahoma shows he has incredible vision and acceleration.  I think he could be a Tarik Cohen type impact player for this offense.   

The vision is silly.  Plus the guy can skittle 6 inches to the left or right and then bam, he's off.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Knox makes perfect sense as he has all the physical tools to be a good TE but all the experts say he was poorly utilized in Ole Miss.  End of the 3rd round is appropriate for him.  I'm more puzzled over the Singletary pick as we could just as easily drafted a RB next year with Gore/Shady/Yeldon leading the team this year.  I'd be much happier with Ridley/Knox than Singletary/Knox.

Found this in Buffalo News today, tracks closely with what I was saying:

Singletary's selection came at a time some Bills fans were hoping their team may add a wide receiver. Beane addressed why, to this point in the draft, the team hasn't done that.

"We had some guys, but they were not as high as Cody in the second, and then I think you saw there was a run on receivers," he said. "Our next pick was Devin and by then there was nothing available that we thought the value fit to what Devin could do for us.

"We followed the board. He was sticking out and he was the best player on the board. You've got to follow that."

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, 100DollarBills said:

This is the only team Singletary played agains that is even worth talking about and he got pancaked a lot. He doesn't have the fast burst around the edge that you need in the NFL. Players like Freddy are extremely rare, he didn't have the speed either, but he was a surgeon up the middle and in between the lineman. Devin only had great numbers because he was playing against the likes of Bethune freaking Cookman. 

Freddy was STRONG. This kid doesn’t look that strong or fast. He seems to have good instincts but I wonder about his athletic ability at this level. We’ll see I guess.

10 hours ago, WMDman said:

I think im in the minority but I like it...

Intellectuals usually are. He was far and away at the top of the Bills board and Brandon Beane is intelligent. That’s good enough for me.

Reporter: Aren’t you concerned about all the carries he had?

Beane: He was never tackled.

BAM!?

I don't know if the guy can play NFL football but the main positive is that they definitely didn't draft the guy for need-this makes 5 RBs counting Murphy who is pretty good IMO-so obviously the Bills went with their BPA-as Beane says they do.

• Thank you (+1) 1

So we sign 3 rbs to million dollar plus deals only to draft an RB in the 3rd?  As much as like the first 2 picks, I kinda hate this.  I feel there is an outdated thought process to our team with offense.  

This guy has to be special (Tarik Cohen) to justify this in the 3rd.  If he ends up being a KR or change of pace back, it’s a bad pick. 

Jaylon Ferguson or the 3 guys immediately drafted after DS would have been better picks IM0.

37 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

In watching his clips, I came away interested in recruiting his offensive line coach to join our staff - not sure who it is (suppose it could be Googled), but man - those are some solid blocking concepts.

As annoying as he is and how he has a lot of things handed to him, Kiffin is a really good offensive coach. 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So we sign 3 rbs to million dollar plus deals only to draft an RB in the 3rd?  As much as like the first 2 picks, I kinda hate this.  I feel there is an outdated thought process to our team with offense.  

This guy has to be special (Tarik Cohen) to justify this in the 3rd.  If he ends up being a KR or change of pace back, it’s a bad pick. 

Jaylon Ferguson or the 3 guys immediately drafted after DS would have been better picks IM0.

I'm kind of with you - I get the thinking, Shady is probably here for one more year only and they don't want to be forced to take a RB high next year, but it's just not a value position (unlike CB, WR, EDGE).  In fact other than Oliver they haven't drafted any value positions - they've drafted the same positions they could easily be crate-digging for in free agency.

That said, I like all of the players they drafted.  I'm just concerned that next year they're going to be forced to pay big $$ or a high pick for a DE, CB and WR.

• Like (+1) 1

I would say the guy's speed is comparable to Thurman Thomas-shiftiness is more important in the NFL-if you are going to try to outrun NFL defenses around the corner you literally have to have Spiller speed usually.

26 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

He will be a limited RB in the NFL, once teams figure out how to contain him up the middle, he’s finished because he doesn’t have enough speed to make it around the outside. 

I don’t love the pick, but I also don’t get this criticism.  What does that mean “once teams figure out how to contain him up the middle”? 

Thats up to our OL and blocking scheme to make sure teams can’t do that.  

Watch his tape.. he makes guys miss in the hole. He’s not out there trying to bounce everything to the outside.  

Edited by SCBills

28 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I'm kind of with you - I get the thinking, Shady is probably here for one more year only and they don't want to be forced to take a RB high next year, but it's just not a value position (unlike CB, WR, EDGE).  In fact other than Oliver they haven't drafted any value positions - they've drafted the same positions they could easily be crate-digging for in free agency.

That said, I like all of the players they drafted.  I'm just concerned that next year they're going to be forced to pay big $$ or a high pick for a DE, CB and WR.

I just think some of their thinking is out of date.  The Rams pulled CJ Anderson off the streets.  I don’t get why you keep paying rbs good money and then spend a good 3rd on one with so many readily available. 

11 hours ago, scribo said:

• Elusiveness (1) - Watch one of Singletary's games and you'll think you mistakenly clicked a highlight package. He's super shifty and electric in space. Whether it be a huge jump cut or subtle move through the line, the Florida Atlantic star will make defenders miss with relative ease. 
  • Contact Balance (3) - Singletary pinballs around on the inside and stays on his feet often.
  • Vision (1) - Singletary knifes through small creases on the inside. 
  • Burst/Long Speed (3) - Singletary is another back whose on-field speed is much more impressive than the 4.66 time he clocked in the 40.
  • Power (7) - Hill and Singletary are space backs who don't use power to win. 
  • Pass-Catching Ability (7) - Singletary had only nine receptions last season. 

Scheme Fits 

• Zone (1) - As a fluid mover with outstanding flexibility, Singletary would explode in a zone scheme at the NFL level
  • Power/Gap (4) - Sanders, Singletary, and Jacobs will be fine in either blocking scheme. 
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I don’t love the pick, but I also don’t get this criticism.  What does that mean “once teams figure out how to contain him up the middle”? 

Thats up to our OL and blocking scheme to make sure teams can’t do that.  

If teams plug up the middle enough, he won’t get yards. See what bigger athletes did to Devin during the Oklahoma game. They contained him. He can’t get outside when the lanes aren’t there. Josh Allen could help out Devin though to prevent so much line stacking. 

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Found this in Buffalo News today, tracks closely with what I was saying:

Singletary's selection came at a time some Bills fans were hoping their team may add a wide receiver. Beane addressed why, to this point in the draft, the team hasn't done that.

"We had some guys, but they were not as high as Cody in the second, and then I think you saw there was a run on receivers," he said. "Our next pick was Devin and by then there was nothing available that we thought the value fit to what Devin could do for us.

"We followed the board. He was sticking out and he was the best player on the board. You've got to follow that."

We didn't have an extra 2nd round because we stayed at 9. Beane fixed priority one, which was Oline. Just didn't have the ammo to get back in the chase in that round.

1 minute ago, 100DollarBills said:

If teams plug up the middle enough, he won’t get yards. See what bigger athletes did to Devin during the Oklahoma game. They contained him. He can’t get outside when the lanes aren’t there. Josh Allen could help out Devin though to prevent so much line stacking. 

We’ll see..  his short burst looks good to me.  That’s far more important in getting to the edge than breakaway speed, which the combine says he lacks even though “game speed” keeps being referenced as indicating otherwise.  

Good point on Allen, as I’m sure teams would be hesitant to do that after Josh keeps the read option and busts a 30 yard run to the outside.