CJ Mosley to the Jets (5 yr, $85M, $51M gtd)

eball

1 minute ago, JM57 said:

I can comprehend this just fine, thank you very much. The fact remains that they paid a limited LB $5 mil per year more than the best all around LB in the game. Just because the cap goes up doesn't make it smart.

I consider him a top 5 MLB and he went to a perfect fit.  How is he limited in your eyes?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JM57 said:

I can comprehend this just fine, thank you very much. The fact remains that they paid a limited LB $5 mil per year more than the best all around LB in the game. Just because the cap goes up doesn't make it smart.

The amount of money is completely immaterial. What matters is portion/percentage of cap devoted to player/position. Don’t get mesmerized by the dollar figure. The cap goes up significantly every year anyway.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

I consider him a top 5 MLB and he went to a perfect fit.  How is he limited in your eyes?  

Much better moving forward/against the run than in coverage. It was the book on him coming out of college and I don't think it's changed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The amount of money is completely immaterial. What matters is portion/percentage of cap devoted to player/position. Don’t get mesmerized by the dollar figure. The cap goes up significantly every year anyway.

Yeah, I understand that but it's still not a great deal for a downhill LB 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

He's still a top five linebacker.  

Top 5 inside backer is a low bar to clear, it's Kuechly and Wagner and then a gap, but yeah, I'll say he's currently about the 5th best (give me Deion Jones and Eric Kendricks over him). Still not worth what he got paid though. 

13 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

He's still a top five linebacker.  

I think that's a stretch even if we limit it to off ball LBs. There's quite a few that I would probably take over him.

Not that they're the end-all-be-all, but PFF for example had him rated around the #40 off-ball LB this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

We still have very good lbs and a gm who can find them in the draft. Way more important. Our o line will be getting to the next level and dominating these lbs.  bills won twice against jets next year 

Won twice against them next year?.... Are you from the future? Did we sign Williams? Any other big name free agents?

Just now, ScottLaw said:

"They are going to be in cap hell in 4 years!"

"It doesn't matter where we are today.  What matters is where we are 2 or 3 years down the road.  You're gonna say I'm crazy, but we're not that far."

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Tell us all why these are good, quality signings.

They're using their cap space to fill holes, and getting some of the top players available.  Look at any list of the top FAs & you'll find Barr & Mosley near the top, but what do the experts know?  I think it beats drafting for need.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

You'll get flamed but your right.

Not to mention if they sign Paradis they've solidified their offensive line as well. 

They are certainly the better team on paper as of now. 

Not. We have the better QB and we have the better coach. Yes he does clap a bit much but keeps a normal eye on the job.?

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jets are under pressure to win this year.

GMs job is on the line. You'll see

the same behavior from McBeane next year if they don't win this coming season.(assuming they make it to the 2020 offseason)

They are doing what they need to do with all that cap space they have with their QB in a more than optimal contract for the next few years..... hopefully the Bills take a similar approach the rest of the way.

Totally agree that's why their GM is doing it. Whaley did the same thing and it fricked us real good.

Completely disagree with everything else... I don't want the Bills to act like this, mostly because you set up this "window" of a couple years before being in cap hell and it has to work. Often times it takes QBs longer to develop, and then they have to endure the several years of getting back on the right side of the cap. We just went through the ramifications of bad cap management, and it's worse on the backside than it was good up front. Lest we forget we had to field a team last year with just 70% of the cap.

Furthermore, I do not agree McD or Beane will be on the hotseat regardless of this upcoming seasons outcome. I believe they will be allowed to realize their vision and develop Josh. 

The Jets are clearly going for it while Darnold is under a rookie contract. I like the Osemele move the best. 

To me they massively overpaid for Barr. I get why he got good money but it wouldn’t have been me doing it. Mosley is a good fit in the 3-4 defense so that move is solid for them but he can’t cover in a new age football. 

Crowder is a good player but 9 mill AAV is a lot and Bellamy to me is whatever. 

22 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

"It doesn't matter where we are today.  What matters is where we are 2 or 3 years down the road.  You're gonna say I'm crazy, but we're not that far."

They're using their cap space to fill holes, and getting some of the top players available.  Look at any list of the top FAs & you'll find Barr & Mosley near the top, but what do the experts know?  I think it beats drafting for need.

You think.

Ok, well that seals it, I'm sold!

24 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Won twice against them next year?.... Are you from the future? Did we sign Williams? Any other big name free agents?

free agency doesn't mean games won.  drafting does. and the jets have less picks than us and a worse history of drafting. lets go

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Whaley didn't ***** us.

Rex Ryan did. And as much as I like Tyrod he doesn't have near the potential as Sam Darnold does at QB.

The salary cap hell is so ridiculously overblown on this board. 

They'll absolutely be on the hot hot seat and maybe even gone if this team continues to get blown out and wins 6 games again. 

I still disagree.

You telling me I'm wrong as if you are an authority doesn't change anything.

I say things like "I believe", and I "agree" or "disagree". You don't, you present your opinion as if they were facts, because you actually think you just know more than everyone else, with an unearned bravado that reminds me of Rex.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jets are under pressure to win this year.

GMs job is on the line. You'll see

the same behavior from McBeane next year if they don't win this coming season.(assuming they make it to the 2020 offseason)

They are doing what they need to do with all that cap space they have with their QB in a more than optimal contract for the next few years..... hopefully the Bills take a similar approach the rest of the way.

i understand this approach, but does it ever really work out?  i just get wary of numerous expensive signings.  it feels more like filling holes than building a foundation.  not that i think the bills should be done in FA, but the jets are hardcore.  it just strikes me as one of those situations that can blow up.  they are a better team now though.

Lol! I can't believe they guaranteed Mosley $50 million. This is up there with the Landon Collins signing. A player that has no business in the modern NFL signing a massive deal.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

3 seasons? 

Lmao, who cares? They are trying to capitalize on Darnolds rookie deal window. They are trying to win now.

In what universe is paying $17 million per year to a LB that can't cover "capitalizing" on anything? This is a terrible deal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I love how everyone is "meh" to all this when in reality the Jets are doing everything they can do to make their team ready to compete NOW and not settling for scraps or bargain basement players. Something we all wished the Bills were doing.

Does it guarantee wins? No.

Propel them towards a Lombardi? No.

The Jets have done this before. Splurge in FA and only to fall flat, but to their credit they keep trying.  So let's see now.

Leonard Williams

Jamal Adams

Anthony Barr

CJ Mosley

Avery Williamson

and coming soon either Quinnen Williams or Josh Allen. And with Greg Williams at the DC position. Yikes!!

Beane really has to solidify that O line now. 

C'mon Beane! Time to stir up that cauldron and whip up your best witchcraft cause we need it. Go Bills!!

The teams that win perennialy do not build their teams that way, so I disagree that the Jets deserve credit for trying it that way yet again.

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Holy mole that's a lot of cheese. But Mosely is freakin awesome. Barr not so much, but Mosely is great. Still not worried about the Jets. 

They will have a lot of disfunction to go with their talent.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I am not worried about the Jets given that Gase is their HC.

You know Gase has a better winning % than our coach, right?

and it’s not to say Gase is a better coach or even a good one.  But it’s laughable how some of you just dismiss things. Yeah, he looked like a whacko in their press conference, but Gase has coached up some garbage qbs to their best seasons of their career.  Darnold is arguably the best qb talent wise he has had.  

These moves are going to kill the Jets in a few years but they realize with their QB’s current contract, this is their window.  On paper, without a doubt, they are a much better team than they were last year.  

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

but they have also have A TON of money to spend and the salary cap goes up EVERY YEAR.

Spending money just to spend money is how you end up with Trumaine Johnson as your starting CB, or end up like the Dolphins. Don't understand what the Jets are doing. They're going to move Barr to a position he hasn't played consistently in the NFL, and they overpaid a run stopping MLB. Reminds me of the Rex/Whaley years.

• Like (+1) 1

Can we have Darren Lee? I would rather have him than Mosley in today’s NFL. 

Baltimore LBs don’t usually play as well once they leave Baltimore. 

1 hour ago, JM57 said:

Top 5 inside backer is a low bar to clear, it's Kuechly and Wagner and then a gap, but yeah, I'll say he's currently about the 5th best (give me Deion Jones and Eric Kendricks over him). Still not worth what he got paid though. 

I will take LVE and Edmunds too. 

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's absolutely a ***** ton of money for a LB.... but they have also have A TON of money to spend and the salary cap goes up EVERY YEAR.

Its not like Mosley is a terrible coverage LB. he's not good but not awful at it. 

You act as if Mosley is a bad player. He's among the better LBs in the league. 

Lets just say it doesn’t concern me at all. Once they start adding oline I will be more worried about them.

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You know Gase has a better winning % than our coach, right?

and it’s not to say Gase is a better coach or even a good one.  But it’s laughable how some of you just dismiss things. Yeah, he looked like a whacko in their press conference, but Gase has coached up some garbage qbs to their best seasons of their career.  Darnold is arguably the best qb talent wise he has had.  

These moves are going to kill the Jets in a few years but they realize with their QB’s current contract, this is their window.  On paper, without a doubt, they are a much better team than they were last year.  

I don't think Gase manages the locker room well.  Lot of drama in Miami.  So, no, I am not worried at all. 

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Spending like drunken sailors at a Bangkok brothel

This is the go-for-broke spending you see teams do when they feel they are really close to winning it all and needing that one last piece.

The Jets with their do-over staff and new QB are not that team.

Barring some kind of miracle gelling season, they are going to be pretty limited filling holes in their roster down the road.

Reminds me of when my wife would get her once a year sales bonus and she would get that wild gleam in her eyes.

No amount of logic, reason, or pleas for moderation has ever been able to talk her back from the spending ledge as it starts raining useless crap and Amazon boxes on me.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

Reminds me of when my wife would get her once a year sales bonus and she would get that wild gleam in her eyes.

No amount of logic, reason, or pleas for moderation has ever been able to talk her back from the spending ledge as it starts raining useless crap and Amazon boxes on me.

Those Prada purses aren't going to buy themselves, you know.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't think Gase manages the locker room well.  Lot of drama in Miami.  So, no, I am not worried at all. 

You could be right.  They did go 10-6 with Tannehill and Moore.  But like us, it’s pretty much on how much their qb develops.  I like Darnold though he needs to take care of the ball much better. 

12 minutes ago, WideNine said:

This is the go-for-broke spending you see teams do when they feel they are really close to winning it all and needing that one last piece.

The Jets with their do-over staff and new QB are not that team.

Barring some kind of miracle gelling season, they are going to be pretty limited filling holes in their roster down the road.

This is exactly the time you go for it.  See the Rams.  This is their window.  We should have a similar mindset. 

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You could be right.  They did go 10-6 with Tannehill and Moore.  But like us, it’s pretty much on how much their qb develops.  I like Darnold though he needs to take care of the ball much better. 

This is exactly the time you go for it.  See the Rams.  This is their window.  We should have a similar mindset. 

Not saying you don't spend wisely to plug holes, but structure deals in a way where your team is not positioned to suffer constant feast and famine cycles.

Keep some wiggle room to sign the guys you want to retain to longer deals (we may have a few in the works), don't backload deals that make it hard to move players towards the end of contracts that force you to have to eat a lot of dead cap.

I like the moves the Jets are doing, they help bolster the OL with Osemele, gave Darnold a dangerous weapon when healthy in Crowder, add what they think is a pass rusher in Barr (I'm curious how he fits on the jets defense) and Mosley is a stud, he shouldn't be making that much more than Keuchly but like another poster said there is a window before your QB is making ridiculous money so I'm hoping our staff has the same mindset (not so much in FA) but in general which I'm sure they do.