Best and Worst Sequels of All Time

I mean... Caddyshack II wasn't very good, but the worst?  Really?

How many horribly low budget B-grades are there out there?  I think a bunch of those are worse than Caddyshack II, which has its moments.

I'll give one for worst sequel: Anchorman II.  I almost walked out of the theatre I was so mad at how bad it was.  And I love Anchorman.

Just so many bad sequels out there.

Hard to say the best.  Are we ruling out movies that are part of pre-written trilogies?  That would rule out the Godfather II and Empire Strikes Back.

If we're going stand alone sequels that aren't really part of a seamless storyline (which would also rule out the excellent Spiderman 2 with Toby Mcguire), I would say Home Alone 2 should be a strong consideration.

24 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

Best: I'm not saying it's Aliens, but...
Worst: Staying Alive / Basic Instinct 2

Oh damn!  Aliens is absolutely the best sequel... absolutely!!!

"Game over, man... game over!!!"

• Haha (+1) 2

I actually loved Caddyshack2

i grew up watching that movie. I’m not really old enough to appreciate part 1. Not that I dislike the original. 

The Dark Knight might be the best movie period. Not just sequels. 

Anchorman 2 is tough to beat for the worst. 

16 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I remember back about 10-15 years ago, I found Caddyshack in the bargain bin for like $3 on DVD. I grabbed it without even thinking, brought it home, and took the cellophane wrapper off, only to reveal that the pricetag covered up the Roman Numeral II on the cover. 

Was it just the title or something?  I just looked up the cover art for Caddyshack 2 and it has 10 people on it.  One is Chevy Chase and the rest weren't in the first movie.  Did you always confuse Peter Venkman and Ray Stantz while watching Ghostbusters?

15 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Best: Dark Knight

Worst: Slapshot 2, Caddyshack 2

Slapshot 2, that's the one where they're basically the Washington Generals of hockey? It may have been okay if it was a stand alone movie. Nothing to write home about, but attaching it to such a classic as Slapshot is what ruined it. 

15 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I mean... Caddyshack II wasn't very good, but the worst?  Really?

How many horribly low budget B-grades are there out there?  I think a bunch of those are worse than Caddyshack II, which has its moments.

If we're comparing it to the original, it's one of the worst. Especially if you knew the story behind it. Rodney Dangerfield was in it, and was gonna bring along Sam Kinison. He wanted to rewrite a few of his lines, insert a few of his own jokes, etc. The director refused, he backed out, and Kinison went with him. It should have died right there.

14 hours ago, Tierlifer said:

Caddyshack 2

Fletch Lives

Chevy Chase will do anything for a paycheck.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

Was it just the title or something?  I just looked up the cover art for Caddyshack 2 and it has 10 people on it.  One is Chevy Chase and the rest weren't in the first movie.  Did you always confuse Peter Venkman and Ray Stantz while watching Ghostbusters?

Yeah. I didn't pay much attention to the cover. Just saw the words Caddyshack and $3, and threw it in my cart. Learned my lesson that day. 

14 hours ago, Rico said:

Yep, best: Godfather, part II.

Worst: Godfather, part III, what a disappointment.

I think GF III gets hammered a bit unfairly. Was it at the level of I and II? Of course not, but talk about standards impossible to live up to. It was a decent movie and conclusion. 

In the conversation for best:

Terminator 2

Godfather 2

The Raid 2

Dark Knight

Hellboy 2

Mad Max: Fury Road

Wolf Warrior 2

In the conversation for worst:

Neverending Story 2 (and 3 might have been the worst movie of all time period)

Matrix: Revolutions

Speed 2

Batman & Robin

Airplane II was good... if you had never seen the original where they had all of the same jokes. It's hard to make a good comedy sequel because comedy relies on the element of surprise.

Smoky and the Bandit II was pretty bad. I heard III was even worse, but II was so bad I never looked it up.

Also, I think Meet the Fockers was great, and arguably better than the first. The third one, Little Fockers, wasn't that good if I recall though.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

I don't think anything can top Godfather II.

Rocky II was a great sequel, as well.

EDIT:  Throwing Clerks II in as a great sequel.

Meatballs II was horrible.

Edited by Gugny

13 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Meatballs I was nothing to write home about, either...

Now that I think about it, I've never actually written home about any movie I've seen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Now that I think about it, I've never actually written home about any movie I've seen.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I saw ‘Jaws: The Revenge’, but it bit the biggie even worse than ‘Jaws II’.  The Jujyfruits were good, however.

Your son,

Guggles

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I could tell you the punch lines 3 minutes before they were delivered.  Goldmember had none of the charm or wit of the previous two movies.

The more Dr Evil and Mini-Me they had, the better. #1 is worthless to me, too much Austin. 

Aliens remains a supremely watchable movie despite debuting over 30 years ago and is one of the few movies you could practically say bested its predecessor. 

What Heat is to Michael Mann, Aliens is to James Cameron.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, eball said:

I think GF III gets hammered a bit unfairly. Was it at the level of I and II? Of course not, but talk about standards impossible to live up to. It was a decent movie and conclusion. 

putting one's kid into a leading role with zero point zero reason acting-wise is going to fail....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

putting one's kid into a leading role with zero point zero reason acting-wise is going to fail....

Sofia Coppola wasn’t believable, but she was a replacement for Winona Ryder who backed out to make Edward Scissorhands.

• Awesome! (+1) 1