Bills have interest in TE Dwayne Allen; visited 3/6

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Did he sign yet? Airport sightings?

anyone got any good recipes?

F5

Made a kick-ass Avocado cole slaw tonight.....

Cut up a little cabbage

Cut up some carrots

A little green pepper

Fresh cut avocado 

Topped with Avocado Ranch

Went well with sweet and sour chicken

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

Guys, the cupboard is completely bare right now at TE. Jason Croom is the only TE on the roster.

Remember that most teams carry a blocking TE as well as a pass receiving TE. This site about the construction of a 53-man roster points it out well.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1640782-the-anatomy-of-a-53-man-roster-in-the-nfl

"Tight Ends (3)

Unless you are the Green Bay Packers, who at one point had five tight ends on the 53-man roster in 2011, most teams will keep three active tight ends.  The typical breakdown is the starter, who is a threat in all phases of the game.  The backup is usually a blocking tight end who is not much of a threat in the passing game.  The third tight end is a hybrid type who can also help on special teams."

Croom is the hybrid, Allen would be the back-up/blocking TE, and the team will obviously still try to fill the starting role vacated by Clay (but hopefully at an upgrade, be it a FA or draft pick).

And most TEs coming out of college are not polished blockers. That is usually a skill that is honed once in the NFL. So, it makes sense to get your blocking TE in free agency rather than the draft. A guy who has already proven himself in the league. Plus, we all know that the offensive line was a problem last year, which crushed the running game. Obviously the team is going to address the O-line heavily this offseason. So, think of this move as part of that. The signing (if it were to happen) won't prevent them from getting that more athletic, versatile, pass catching TE.

"Bill Belichick often praised Allen for his blocking in the run game..."

Plus, his rookie year, he did catch 45 balls for 521 yards and 3 TDs, he also had seasons with 6 TDs, and 8 TDs. So, it's not like he can't catch at all.

I'd be all for the move. Solid #2 TE.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Wasn't he supposed to visit tonight? Haven't heard a word about his visit.

He flew in last night... visit today. He visited Ravens yesterday. No word on whether Jimmy’s Seafood offered free crab cakes for life.

Edited by YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

His career has been super disappointing.  I thought he was going to be a top 10-15 TE.  He’s fine at the right price as a number 2 TE.

Yep. Basically a 6th OLman that can also catch a pass or two.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

My bad. Just gotten so used to everything they touch turning gold, I forgot the rules.

not that that’s ever stopped them..

No. You're right. The Patriot Way is finding new methods for breaking the rules and getting away with it. They will get another pick because Bob Kraft will get off with a wrist slap, because none of the holding penalties against Hughes were called vs the Pats, because...

1 hour ago, End The Drought said:

It would be a nice addition before free agency starts. I’m down for anyone who is able to upgrade our run game. 

Yes. Signing people like DT Phillips, C Long, and Allen (if they do) reduces the pressure of having to overpay for someone else just to get them here.

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Did he sign yet? Airport sightings?

anyone got any good recipes?

F5

Maybe check for a large appetizer order at Tempo? 

I did a braised boneless beef short rib thing recently that went over very......I’ll wait till the dead time after the draft.....

20 hours ago, JoeF said:

Made a kick-ass Avocado cole slaw tonight.....

Cut up a little cabbage

Cut up some carrots

A little green pepper

Fresh cut avocado 

Topped with Avocado Ranch

Went well with sweet and sour chicken

hope you sliced the cabbage thinner than chiffonade style.

22 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Anyone camping out at OBD watching for the limo? Did he make it to Mulberry's?

Don't let him out of the building! 

Where's the Pegula jet? 

Should I post recipes here? 

Oh boy, just getting warmed up...

deers.

Edited by 3rdand12

27 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Anyone camping out at OBD watching for the limo? Did he make it to Mulberry's?

Don't let him out of the building! 

Where's the Pegula jet? 

Should I post recipes here? 

Oh boy, just getting warmed up...

Mulberry is the new Tempo? 

So Clay had 3x 500+ yards receiving seasons in a row and was a good blocker and Bills fans had pitchforks for him.

Allen has had exactly 1x 500+ yd season to his career and this is a payer sought after....

meh.

James or Uzomah please

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Nothing? Not even a peep. Usually they at least announce he’s in town. Nothing about him flying to his next stop either. 

Must be either finalizibg a contract or he never made it in lol

This is a different Bill's when McDermott and Beane here. Not much going out to publlic unless they are signed or close. Better to keep it this way.

Unless they got this guy on a vet minimum I would pass on Allen, he isn't really that good nor at his best was he ever anything more than decent. He is old and not productive. I would pass and take on a better free agent TE or go for a mid-level free agent TE and draft a TE in the early rounds. 

20 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

So Clay had 3x 500+ yards receiving seasons in a row and was a good blocker and Bills fans had pitchforks for him.

Allen has had exactly 1x 500+ yd season to his career and this is a payer sought after....

meh.

James or Uzomah please

The idea being that expectations (and contract) should be nowhere near as high as they were with Clay

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://twitter.com/josinaanderson/status/1103815236908474368?s=21

@josinaanderson

I'm told the #Lions visit with free agent TE Dwayne Allen is concluded. Allen is in route to Miami now, per source.

Yeah my I initial thought was Miami. They are going to suck anyway so Allen can rack up some stats while helping Flores establish his culture with the team ala Mike Tolbert. 

On 3/6/2019 at 4:12 PM, RocCityRoller said:

meh.

James or Uzomah please

On what planet was Clay ever a good blocker. I've watched him get blown up or outright miss blocks for multiple seasons. Talk about an urban legend.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

This is a different Bill's when McDermott and Beane here. Not much going out to publlic unless they are signed or close. Better to keep it this way.

Where is Rex when we need him!

I’m sorry, I take that back......but I’m not paying for any therapy bills!  

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

On what planet was Clay ever a good blocker. I've watched him get blown up or outright miss blocks for multiple seasons. Talk about an urban legend.

I think it's one of those assumed things. If a tight end sucks and can't catch, it's assumed he is a good blocker and that is typically wrong. This does not just happen with Clay, it happens everywhere. It's  like the White defensive end...of course he is high motor, grinder, lunch pail, unathletic. Usually just assumed things.