Bills have interest in TE Dwayne Allen; visited 3/6

57 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

They Pats win and they get contributions every year from "scrap" free agent that they sign and discard after they've gotten their use out of them.  You can't have star players at every starting position and especially true of backups/role players.

Exactly, the goal is to have as much as holes plugged before the draft. It’s common sense

8 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

I want a guy that scores Touchdowns and gets chunks of yards/first downs.

He had some productive years as a pass-catcher with Andrew Luck in Indy (521 yards in 2012; 8 TDs in 2014). As recently as 2016 he scored 6 TDs. 

Edited by 2003Contenders

36 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

He had some productive years as a pass-catcher with Andrew Luck in Indy (521 yards in 2012; 8 TDs in 2014). As recently as 2016 he scored 6 TDs. 

2017-2018 seasons- 13 for 113 yards. We need more than a TE that can just block. Lets get some actual NFL linemen first. 

44 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Exactly, the goal is to have as much as holes plugged before the draft. It’s common sense

Yeah, we can just cut him in camp ?

9 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

100 percent agree- this team needs a top flight TE that can do it all. I dont want anymore scraps on this team. Too many are used to settling and moral victories. Lets build this damn team! We have our QB now get the line in place and some weapons.

I get this sentiment, but signing Allen doesn’t mean the Bills can’t sign or draft any more TEs. In fact, they will have to. 

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

2017-2018 seasons- 13 for 113 yards. We need more than a TE that can just block. Lets get some actual NFL linemen first. 

Yeah, we can just cut him in camp ?

He is a solid 2nd or 3rd TE. He is not coming here to start. They would probably still add another vet TE in free agency and a receiving TE in the draft. It would also be good for Daboll to get some of his guys in here.

11 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

100 percent agree- this team needs a top flight TE that can do it all. I dont want anymore scraps on this team. Too many are used to settling and moral victories. Lets build this damn team! We have our QB now get the line in place and some weapons.

I hear this said a lot, the question is where do you get these top flight tight ends?  Only four tight ends in the entire NFL made it into the top 50 for receiving yards last year.

You could go get Jared Cook, but is he really top flight?  Or did he just have a really great year?   The draft is a crap shoot and they arent generally available in free agency.  The issue here is perception.  The Bills had an above average tight end for the last few years, until he was completely derailed by his knee issue last year.  However, fans thought he sucked because he wasnt Travis Kelce.    We dont have a top flight tight end who can do it all because they rarely come around.  

33 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

So you want a WR.  

Nope- a pass catching TE that has something left in the tank- his pedestrian number the past 2 seasons suggest other wise. 

35 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I hear this said a lot, the question is where do you get these top flight tight ends?  Only four tight ends in the entire NFL made it into the top 50 for receiving yards last year.

You could go get Jared Cook, but is he really top flight?  Or did he just have a really great year?   The draft is a crap shoot and they arent generally available in free agency.  The issue here is perception.  The Bills had an above average tight end for the last few years, until he was completely derailed by his knee issue last year.  However, fans thought he sucked because he wasnt Travis Kelce.    We dont have a top flight tight end who can do it all because they rarely come around.  

This years draft is loaded with TE prospects. Every position is a “crap shoot” if you really think about it. We deserve better than what we have had. I dont think any team expects 800- 1000 yards out of the TE but 400-500 yards along with 6-8 TD’s would certainly be nice.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=1&season=2018&seasonType=REG&akmobile=ios&akcarrier=verizon&d-447263-p=2&statisticPositionCategory=TIGHT_END

Edited by billsfan_34

2 hours ago, dubs said:

I get this sentiment, but signing Allen doesn’t mean the Bills can’t sign or draft any more TEs. In fact, they will have to. 

I dont want to sign a TE just for camp fodder. Maybe he pleasantly surprises us if we sign him but his production suggests otherwise the last 2 seasons. 

17 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Nope- a pass catching TE that has something left in the tank- his pedestrian number the past 2 seasons suggest other wise. 

This years draft is loaded with TE prospects. Every position is a “crap shoot” if you really think about it. We deserve better than what we have had. I dont think any team expects 800- 1000 yards out of the TE but 400-500 yards along with 6-8 TD’s would certainly be nice.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=1&season=2018&seasonType=REG&akmobile=ios&akcarrier=verizon&d-447263-p=2&statisticPositionCategory=TIGHT_END

Yeah, but you clearly care about only the pass catching numbers.  If blocking doesn't matter, just bring in a large wide receiver.  

Allen strikes me as the latest version of Alge Crumpler. A formerly productive pass catching TE who has become a blocking type that NE has discarded. 

Sure, Buffalo needs TE's and he'd be their blocking guy. Still, opponents know what's more than likely going to happen when he's on the field.

McBeane are continuing to build a roster inconsistent with the modern game.  Signing ancient RBs, having interest in blocking TEs, signing UFA FBs, more defensive players.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Yeah, but you clearly care about only the pass catching numbers.  If blocking doesn't matter, just bring in a large wide receiver.  

Not even remotely true- I just dont want a TE to be a one trick pony. Regardless, I doubt the Bills try and sign him anyways. Allen needs a pass catching TE in the worst way. 

36 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Watch the tape on the tight ends coming out in the draft.  Outside of Noah Fant the guys who are being considered top tier Tight Ends all have major questions. 

We had tight ends in the 400-600 yards range all but two of the last eight years.  Scott Chandler and Charles Clay were decent tight ends.  You cant expect a tight end to get 8 touchdowns when your Quarterbacks are throwing less than 30 every year.  I understand the need for a better player at tight end, ideally we would have a pro bowler there, but my point is we are not being realistic.   There has been some good tight end play for the Bills  over the last ten years, last year not withstanding, and we have guys screaming "We havent had a good tight end since Riemersma or Metzelaars!"  Keeping in mind Riemersma never eclipsed 600 yard in a season, and Metzelaars did it once.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Watch the tape on the tight ends coming out in the draft.  Outside of Noah Fant the guys who are being considered top tier Tight Ends all have major questions. 

We had tight ends in the 400-600 yards range all but two of the last eight years.  Scott Chandler and Charles Clay were decent tight ends.  You cant expect a tight end to get 8 touchdowns when your Quarterbacks are throwing less than 30 every year.  I understand the need for a better player at tight end, ideally we would have a pro bowler there, but my point is we are not being realistic.   There has been some good tight end play for the Bills  over the last ten years, last year not withstanding, and we have guys screaming "We havent had a good tight end since Riemersma or Metzelaars!"  Keeping in mind Riemersma never eclipsed 600 yard in a season, and Metzelaars did it once.

I hear ya- and im hoping the Bills get more production with Allen than the previous QB’s have in recent times. What I really expect out of a TE is this- get tough yards, move the chains, run block, be a red zone target, and split the seam which makes the defense accountable to him. A complete TE would be a huge addition to our team. Thanks for all the stats- it adds nice value to this board- cheers ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bourbonboy said:

I'm told street free agent TE Dwayne Allen is scheduled to fly to Baltimore on Tuesday at this time, and then fly to Buffalo Tuesday night as of now, per source.

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1102793044053639169

And the stage is set for another receiver picking Baltimore over us.....

How many TE's does Baltimore need?

51 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

I dont want to sign a TE just for camp fodder. Maybe he pleasantly surprises us if we sign him but his production suggests otherwise the last 2 seasons. 

There are 4 teams he’s already getting interest from just days after being cut. He’s an excellent blocker and has shown an ability to make catches and get in the end zone. He’s a very good TE2. Definitely not camp fodder. 

This seems pretty straightforward and easy to understand. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Not even remotely true- I just dont want a TE to be a one trick pony. Regardless, I doubt the Bills try and sign him anyways. Allen needs a pass catching TE in the worst way. 

What you are really asking for is an elite TE.  Any TE that is a good blocker and is good for 600+ yards is elite.  There are maybe 5-8 guys in the league that qualify.  

Even if our number 1 TE qualifies, we still need TEs behind him.  The point is there is absolutely no reason not to bring a guy like Allen if he excels at an important part of the game. 

20 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

What you are really asking for is an elite TE.  Any TE that is a good blocker and is good for 600+ yards is elite.  There are maybe 5-8 guys in the league that qualify.  

Even if our number 1 TE qualifies, we still need TEs behind him.  The point is there is absolutely no reason not to bring a guy like Allen if he excels at an important part of the game. 

20 TE’s last season had over 400 yards- 6 TE’s had 6 or more TD’s. But to answer your question, yes I want an elite TE we are long over due.

2 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

20 TE’s last season had over 400 yards- 6 TE’s had 6 or more TD’s. But to answer your question, yes I want an elite TE we are long over due.

And again, the only question you are asking is how many yards they caught? Do you not see how circular your point is? 

I want an elite TE, for sure, but I also want guys behind that elite TE that can contribute.  

47 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

To put things into perspective, Buffalo hasn't drafted a TE in the top 3 rounds since Kevin Everett in 2005.  They've attempted to fill that position with UDFAs and UFAs for far too long, largely because there are apparently other positions more important.   And that happens when you draft for need and/or don't draft well. 

It's been well-proven a solid pass catcher is a need for the modern NFL offense.  Across multiple GMs and HCs, this fact has been largely ignored.  Clay had bad knees to begin with and Chandler was nice, but not a guy to stretch the field. 

31 minutes ago, dubs said:

There are 4 teams he’s already getting interest from just days after being cut. He’s an excellent blocker and has shown an ability to make catches and get in the end zone. He’s a very good TE2. Definitely not camp fodder. 

This seems pretty straightforward and easy to understand. 

He had early success catching passes from Andrew Luck, but is clearly isn't the same player he was almost 7 seasons ago. He's also missed 29 games since 2013.

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

And again, the only question you are asking is how many yards they caught? Do you not see how circular your point is? 

I want an elite TE, for sure, but I also want guys behind that elite TE that can contribute.  

Yards equate to first downs, better field position, and TD’s. It is pretty important stuff. If we already had a complete, upper echelon TE on the roster then I would say sure, lets sign Dwayne, but we dont. 

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

To put things into perspective, Buffalo hasn't drafted a TE in the top 3 rounds since Kevin Everett in 2005.  They've attempted to fill that position with UDFAs and UFAs for far too long, largely because there are apparently other positions more important.   And that happens when you draft for need and/or don't draft well. 

It's been well-proven a solid pass catcher is a need for the modern NFL offense.  Across multiple GMs and HCs, this fact has been largely ignored.  Clay had bad knees to begin with and Chandler was nice, but not a guy to stretch the field. 

He had early success catching passes from Andrew Luck, but is clearly isn't the same player he was almost 7 seasons ago. He's also missed 29 games since 2013.

not a single person is arguing that he’s the answer at TE!  Reasonable people are saying that for the right contract, he’d be a nice addition to the TE ranks because he’s a great blocker and can catch and score TDs. But that the Bills obviously need much more of a dynamic playmaker at TE, ALSO. 

Sometimes on this board it’s like discussions devolve into a binary, either or, black and white construct when it clearly doesn’t call for it. 

Its like someone going to a restaurant and thinking if you get an appetizer that means you can’t have an entree or dessert or a drink. ? 

• Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So how can Allen have 4 visits set up this week when teams aren't allowed to talk to perspective FA until the 11th?

There is a difference between street free agents and prospective free agents, whose contracts expire with the league year.  Prospective free agents who were with a team last season are under contract until the new league year starts.  Players who are released  (cut) from their contract are not under contract and are free to sign with anybody without regard to the date, like the center/guard that Buffalo signed a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was released yesterday 

49 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

There is a difference between street free agents and prospective free agents, whose contracts expire with the league year.  Prospective free agents who were with a team last season are under contract until the new league year starts.  Players who are released  (cut) from their contract are not under contract and are free to sign with anybody without regard to the date, like the center/guard that Buffalo signed a few weeks ago.

OK, forgot he was already released! Duh!!

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Allen strikes me as the latest version of Alge Crumpler. A formerly productive pass catching TE who has become a blocking type that NE has discarded. 

Sure, Buffalo needs TE's and he'd be their blocking guy. Still, opponents know what's more than likely going to happen when he's on the field.

McBeane are continuing to build a roster inconsistent with the modern game.  Signing ancient RBs, having interest in blocking TEs, signing UFA FBs, more defensive players.

Lee Smith had 3 TDs last year, which is 3 times as many as the entire Bills' TEs 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Yards equate to first downs, better field position, and TD’s. It is pretty important stuff. If we already had a complete, upper echelon TE on the roster then I would say sure, lets sign Dwayne, but we dont. 

First, those are all things WRs do better than about every TE in the league.  But thats beside the point. 

One has nothing to do with the other.  Signing Dwayne doesn't mean we aren't still looking for other TEs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GG said:

Lee Smith had 3 TDs last year, which is 3 times as many as the entire Bills' TEs 

Oakland had a little better QB play last year than Buffalo, don't you think?

And, Jason Croom caught a TD versus Minnesota.

Edited by BillsVet

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

First, those are all things WRs do better than about every TE in the league.  But thats beside the point. 

One has nothing to do with the other.  Signing Dwayne doesn't mean we aren't still looking for other TEs. 

You dont think I know that? Come on! Now this is getting twisted around. Have a good one. Go Bills. 

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Oakland had a little better QB play last year than Buffalo, don't you think?

Really?  I don't think you can attribute a 9 to 1 TD ratio solely to QB play