How can we not be all in on Metcalf now?

15 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Butler has issues with drops. Thats the difference

“Some of his dropsies could be attributed to his lack of explosion in and out of cuts”

“The ASU product appeared heavy footed running routes and didn’t consistently come down with balls delivered in the strike zone”

That’s from BB, I didn’t watch it so I have no idea. I’m really confused how in one breath Harry is a must have and then in another he is slow and dropping balls. Did he drop passes yesterday?

Does anyone find it alarming that a guy who looks stiff on tape didn’t run the agility drills? That says a lot to me. 

4 hours ago, CookieG said:

And there is that...

Since the OP brought up a Julio Jones comparison, Julio's 3 cone time was about 3/4 of a second better.

there's a lot more bake to Metcalf than there is shake (to those who actually remember Shake and Bake).

Not to say that he can't become a dominant receiver, but  I agree, it isn't a certainty.

And his short shuttle was comparable to Deandre Hopkins, Dez Bryant and Robert Woods

2 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

“Some of his dropsies could be attributed to his lack of explosion in and out of cuts”

“The ASU product appeared heavy footed running routes and didn’t consistently come down with balls delivered in the strike zone”

That’s from BB, I didn’t watch it so I have no idea. I’m really confused how in one breath Harry is a must have and then in another he is slow and dropping balls. Did he drop passes yesterday?

Does anyone find it alarming that a guy who looks stiff on tape didn’t run the agility drills? That says a lot to me. 

I didn't watch. But I can't recall drops being an issue with Harry collegiantly, like is the case with Butler

57 minutes ago, Logic said:

Another thing to think about: Beane and McDermott come from the Panthers, who have historically NOT drafted receivers with their 1st pick. They have much more often used high picks on defensive linemen and offensive linemen. The Panthers seem to go by the "no #1 WR, but a collection of #2 receivers" (pun intended only if you want it to be) school of thought. Based on McDermott and Beane's recent comments, they seem to agree.

Something about a WR at 9 doesn't feel like it's in Beane/McDermott's wheelhouse.

At any rate, so much of the draft discussion is almost completely pointless until we see what free agency brings. 

Keep in mind Panthers haven’t won squat with that philosophy either.  They made one SB run and didn’t have enough fire power to win.  Haven’t sniffed it other than that one season.  So not exactly the philosophy to mirror.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Defensive linemen 100%. 

Especially if a couple QB’s go top 8 and a team or two go DB or LB for need, there should be some elite talent, it seems. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, gjv001 said:

He overwhelmingly exceeds all the measurables for a WR. His game tapes against SEC talent shows a WR winning on contested balls and breaking tackles. His coaches speak very highly about his character and work ethic. Similar to Edmonds, he comes from an NFL family. He has the potential to be a Julio Jones type WR. He appears to address a position of need at a higher level than other draftees at a position of need. Is that worth a risk at 9? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't sleep on pedigree and DNA!!

Because we aren't drafting pentathletes. I want a proven football player. I get the injuries, lack of targets etc. I just want a player who has extensive film that can come in an immediately, will little doubt, improve this football team. 

Maybe he'll be a great WR and maybe he'll flop out. But is that a risk, at #9 overall, the Bills are in a position to take? 

I highly doubt it. 

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I really doubt he falls that far...and he is going to run at the UB Pro Day.

3rd?

Maybe - depends on his health and what he runs.  I’m thinking 3rd-4th round unless he runs a poor 40.  I think if he runs 4.55 or better then he will go in 3rd or 4th.  4.6 or worse hurts him a lot.

I've been all in since October.

The only suprising thing about his combine performance for me was the 4.33.  I thought he'd be a solid 4.4 guy.

A big arm QB and a monster WR that can stretch the defense and folks are opposed to it?

The *****...? ?

Edited by Chicken Boo

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Beane made it to two Bulls games this year...with Johnson not running,I bet his stock falls around the league but it shouldn't effect what Beane knows about him.

AJ in the second?????

AJ from UB will likely be a day 3 pick now.  Not as big or strong as most thought and has real issues gaining separation 

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The only suprising thing about his combine performance for me was the 4.33.  I thought he'd be a solid 4.4 guy.

A big arm QB and a monster WR that can stretch the defense and folks are opposed to it?

The *****...? ?

It's because my man can't turn.

36 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Keep in mind Panthers haven’t won squat with that philosophy either.  They made one SB run and didn’t have enough fire power to win.  Haven’t sniffed it other than that one season.  So not exactly the philosophy to mirror.  

Carolina has been one of the most inconsistent teams in the NFL the past 8 years.  3 10 win seasons and 5 mediocre years mixed in is not the model I'd follow, but they're doing just that.  

I don't understand why McBeane are convinced being Carolina north is the way to go after those results.  

I wanted to believe these two were fairly innovative, but have seen that it's a replication here, extending to the guys they bring in from that roster (Tolbert, Benjamin, Lotulelei, Kaelin Clay, Dean Marlowe).  

They are going with what they know and don't seem open to new things.  

1 hour ago, Yav said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/3/2/18245181/2019-nfl-combine-results-wide-receiver-tight-end

https://www.google.com/amp/arizonasports.com/story/1859692/n-keal-harry-has-impressive-day-nfl-combine-40-yard-dash-jumping/amp/

Do a search on Twitter for N’Keal Harry and you’ll see. I get it most on the East Coast don’t get to see PAC 12 games, but this kid is the real deal. Thankfully some NFL scouts recognize how good this young man really is. 

As a Ducks fan, I wasn't super impressed with him. All he caught was WR screens, other than that that he couldn't get separation against us.  

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001020526/article/2019-nfl-scouting-combine-winnerslosers-dk-metcalf-is-rare%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Dcombine-winners-and-losers&p.ct=Combine%2bRecap%2b&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

Concering. From the limited amount of him that I have watched that’s what I see. Slow. 

If you’re so high on Harry what do you think about Butler? Seems you like the catch radius and speed, he is bigger, faster and has the wing span of a 7 footer. 

I think Butler has a chance to be a legit number 1 WR. I'm hoping we get him in round 2. 

14 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The *****...? ?

Some of us have seen the height/weight/speed guy that can't run 60% of the route tree thing played out before, and we'd like to see the guy be able to play the position.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

This is why i would like to see Bills maneuver picks.

would like to see either 2TEs and or 2 Wrs or a combination to get 3 pass catchers from the draft.

both of these things can happen outside of the first round and still acquire starters.

right after  FA fixes the O line. : ) and gets a TE in FA as well.

I’d rather see them bolster the OL.

At this point, it looks almost certain that BPA at their pick will be a DL, likely by a wide margin.  So, I expect a DL in the 1st.  After that, I’d love to see an OL player like Risner or Bradbury or McCoy or...

Unless they sign two starting caliber OL in FA, I cannot see how they could take a WR or TE in the first 3 rounds.  Now, if they trade down in round 1 and pick up an extra 2nd, then maybe they could grab a pass catcher in the first 3 rounds.

11 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Carolina has been one of the most inconsistent teams in the NFL the past 8 years.  3 10 win seasons and 5 mediocre years mixed in is not the model I'd follow, but they're doing just that.  

I don't understand why McBeane are convinced being Carolina north is the way to go after those results.  

I wanted to believe these two were fairly innovative, but have seen that it's a replication here, extending to the guys they bring in from that roster (Tolbert, Benjamin, Lotulelei, Kaelin Clay, Dean Marlowe).  

They are going with what they know and don't seem open to new things.  

I don't think they are building this team the same way they did with Carolina though just because we had some ex panther players in here.  KB was only traded for because of the playoff run, otherwise that trade NEVER happens.  And mid season, there were no other WR's available for trade that had starter and WR1 status.  

The only player other than that they Brought in to be part of this team moving forward was Star.  The rest were stop gap fill ins.  

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The *****...? ?

I’m not a fan of prospects that don’t show up on the game tape...furthermore, I’m not interested in one trick ponies...

Edited by JaCrispy

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Some of us have seen the height/weight/speed guy that can't run 60% of the route tree thing played out before, and we'd like to see the guy be able to play the position.

I have to agree. This guy is a massive risk for a million different reasons. It isn't just one thing, which is really scary. He is a freak for sure. But I just can't pass on all of the defensive talent on the board for him. 

I'd rather just sign Chris Conley, whose measurables are the same and has been in the league for four years already. At least then the risk is just money. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The *****...? ?

Not opposed. But at #9 overall I am. He has no short area burst. Nor the production in college that shows he's been a consistent playmaker worthy of a top ten pick. What's so hard to understand?

My current realistic hopes are (besides a trade down which is almost always my preference):

1. Ed Oliver

2. DK Metcalf

3. Rashan Gary (as long as the Bills think he has a strong work ethic)

4. One of the OTs

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

a) our draft picks will depend in part on what we get in FA.

2) Beane does not seem to be overly concerned with these kind of analytics (cf. Josh Allen).

Totally agree, I think it will be OL in the first, unless one of the top 3 DLs falls to us then it's interesting. But we can't run or pass block at all right now. DLs are pretty deep, we can easily get DL talent in the second.

5 hours ago, CookieG said:

And there is that...

Since the OP brought up a Julio Jones comparison, Julio's 3 cone time was about 3/4 of a second better.

there's a lot more bake to Metcalf than there is shake (to those who actually remember Shake and Bake).

Not to say that he can't become a dominant receiver, but  I agree, it isn't a certainty.

& how much uncertainty has turn into a great WR in this league??

People said Nuke Hopkins can't separate enough to be elite. Yet all he does is make plays

AB - was suppose to be a special teams gem...not turn into the best WR in the league.

Mike Evans doesn't have elite speed for his size... the NFL corners will press him at the line...yet he's a top WR.

ODB ... Very talented... but more of a slot WR...

Man ... these scouting reports were saying alot...that don't mean a lick... if you can ball... you will ball out...plain & simple.

When I watch DK film, all I see is him out muscling CB's or burning them... running the full route tree will come. Some guy's can do it coming out...some guy's develop they're game as time goes on... like Juilo & Megatron. 

DK ... should be a stud... I was beating the drum on the Bills Message Board for Mike Evans ... yet we not only traded up...but we took Sammy. The guy that was a gadget player all through college.

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

WHy not?

That is a solid plan

Because OL & DL are loaded this year. WR isn't... DK is probably your only top 10 WR in this class. We need a stud... & need to stop playing around with the position or we'll be stuck with Kelvin Benjamin & the Devin Funchess's of the world at WR. 

We're going to waste Josh Allen (who I would like to be sold on if he can get some weapons) like Carolina is wasting Cam! 

Yes it's solid... but solid is safe... we need a stud for Allen. Free Agency doesn't have a DK ...you have to draft one. If the Jets don't screw up & DK falls to 9. You pull the trigger... no questions ask!

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

I want nothing to do with a WR with his injury history, especially if he has foot problems. 

I’m not looking for Sammy 2.0

Amen.  OBJ has hardly made the Giants a world class contender. WR’s in the 1st are risky picks. The Bills would be much wiser picking a top line talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Maybin 2.0

When the juice wears off we'll see what he is.   Sorry but i dont trust the combine results with players who have obviously bulked up with steroids.  

Aaron Maybin ran a 4.89 at the combine. Maybe we should have paid more attention to his athletic ability. 

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

So did T.O. and Jerry Rice

Fair enough. Rice was drafted 16th overall. Not sure about his history of drops, being he played for a small school. If he had the drops as you claim, I'm surprised he went that high, especially given his lack of national exposure due to playing at lowly Mississippi Valley State. Small school guys don't get drafted that high, especially if they are prone to not catching the damn ball lmao. 

T.O. was a third round pick. We are talking days of anylitics and social media. Resourses that weren't available back then. We are also talking #9 overall. I don't see your arguement

9 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

People said Nuke Hopkins can't separate enough to be elite. Yet all he does is make plays

AB - was suppose to be a special teams gem...not turn into the best WR in the league.

Mike Evans doesn't have elite speed for his size... the NFL corners will press him at the line...yet he's a top WR.

Man ... these scouting reports were saying alot...that don't mean a lick... if you can ball... you will ball out...plain & simple.

When I watch DK film, all I see is him out muscling CB's or burning them... running the full route tree will come. Some guy's can do it coming out...some guy's develop they're game as time goes on... like Juilo & Megatron. 

DK ... should be a stud... I was beating the drum on the Bills Message Board for Mike Evans ... yet we not only traded up...but we took Sammy. The guy that was a gadget player all through college.

Because OL & DL are loaded this year. WR isn't... DK is probably your only top 10 WR in this class. We need a stud... & need to stop playing around with the position or we'll be stuck with Kelvin Benjamin & the Devin Funchess's of the world at WR. 

We're going to waste Josh Allen (who I would like to be sold on if he can get some weapons) like Carolina is wasting Cam! 

Yes it's solid... but solid is safe... we need a stud for Allen. Free Agency doesn't have a DK ...you have to draft one. If the Jets don't screw up & DK falls to 9. You pull the trigger... no questions ask!

Every other guy that you mentioned was a productive player in college.

DK was not.

22 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

My current realistic hopes are (besides a trade down which is almost always my preference):

1. Ed Oliver

2. DK Metcalf

3. Rashan Gary (as long as the Bills think he has a strong work ethic)

4. One of the OTs

I like it, I think Jawaan Taylor should be our first choice though. 

9 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I think that the jury is still out on DK

Doesnt have the production.....he should be DOMINATING college ball....was not even the best WR on his team

The route running bothers me

I am not saying he is not going to be good......but its not a slam dunk.

I think that protection for Allen is just as important as getting the weapons.....and there is going to be good receivers available in round 2.

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think that the jury is still out on DK

Doesnt have the production.....he should be DOMINATING college ball....was not even the best WR on his team

The route running bothers me

I am not saying he is not going to be good......but its not a slam dunk.

I think that protection for Allen is just as important as getting the weapons.....and there is going to be good receivers available in round 2.

The route running should bother you, along with being #2 on his own team and the lack of good hands...I certainly don’t wanna spend my first round pick on those odds.

5 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Build the freaking lines!

SB winning Offensive Line (QB hardly ever touched)

3rd round

4th round

5th round

5th round 

undrafted

so try DEVELOP the freaking line. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

SB winning Offensive Line (QB hardly ever touched)

3rd round

4th round

5th round

5th round 

undrafted

so try DEVELOP the freaking line. 

Definitely need to develop the line. But a lot of NE’s OL success is due to Brady’s pre-snap decision making and ability to get the ball out so fast. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Definitely need to develop the line. But a lot of NE’s OL success is due to Brady’s pre-snap decision making and ability to get the ball out so fast. 

Scarnecchia has more to do it than anything. There is a reason when he came back their OL got miles better again.