Edmunds...he deserves some love too

Hebert19

His run defense lane discipline still needs a lot of work. He was all over the place, and not in a good way, in that first half when the Jags went smash mouth. 

But there are some wow plays in every game where his athleticism allows him to do things few MLBs can do. 

I am hoping we see a jump in his discipline and play diagnosis skills year 1 to year 2. There was a noticeable jump between 2016 and 2017 on his college tape so he seems like the type who will come on for the experience of his rookie year - good or bad. 

• Like (+1) 11

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

His run defense lane discipline still needs a lot of work. He was all over the place, and not in a good way, in that first half when the Jags went smash mouth. 

But there are some wow plays in every game where his athleticism allows him to do things few MLBs can do. 

I am hoping we see a jump in his discipline and play diagnosis skills year 1 to year 2. There was a noticeable jump between 2016 and 2017 on his college tape so he seems like the type who will come on for the experience of his rookie year - good or bad. 

Agree here.  Just 1st half was pretty brutal.  Milano had a rough 1st half as well.

• Like (+1) 1

I was just watching the highlights of the game and he tipped the pass that went off O'Shaughnessy's hands and Poyer eventually intercepted. Only someone with his size and athletic ability could have impacted that pass. Huge play that essentially sealed Jacksonville's fate.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

HE is not a run plugger middle lb.....the number one requirement of a mlb.  He will be moved to outside sooner than later if he doesn't improve that imho.

I agree he has to improve there but I think McDermott and Beane are committed to him. He will get every chance to prove it. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is a bit of an exaggeration. But Edmunds is younger coming in, played less in college and was not as pro ready as Keuchly. 

I agree that there is a bit of a gap.....but as far as style of play not so much......they are basically the same type of player....Kuch was not one of these bulldog hit the right hole every time types in his first year either

Both are extremely athletic

Both were the defensive signal callers in their first year

What I find interesting is ppl dont see the relation of when Edmunds has a bad game (not saying he did in this one) that Milano ALSO has a bad game

Maybe its not just them that are the issue in that situation but the down linemen in front of them......LB's dont look as good when the DL is getting owned

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

What I find interesting is ppl dont see the relation of when Edmunds has a bad game (not saying he did in this one) that Milano ALSO has a bad game

Maybe its not just them that are the issue in that situation but the down linemen in front of them......LB's dont look as good when the DL is getting owned

I don't agree with that summation. Milano has outplayed Edmunds pretty consistently. 

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

He still got caught a few times but in general he was all over the field and made some great reads against the run and pass.  This rookie class is looking better and better.  

He had a poor first half,but not as bad as Alexander's first half.McDermott needs to start Yarbrough next week...

Edited by Misterbluesky

I don't see it. I watch him on almost every defensive snap. He seems to just hang back and watch everyone else make plays. He's never anywhere near the ball, and he never makes any big hits. It almost looks like he's trying to avoid contact with opposing players, unless they are blocking him 9 yards off the play. Meanwhile, Matt Milano is all over the place getting INTs and cleaning dudes' clocks. Maybe I just don't understand football, but I have to think a guy with that kind of physical talent should be more involved in more plays, tracking and crushing the ball carrier. Especially since he's literally in the middle of the defensive field on every play. What am I missing?

20 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

HE is not a run plugger middle lb.....the number one requirement of a mlb.  He will be moved to outside sooner than later if he doesn't improve that imho.

Sure, that was the requirement.....until the NFL became the arena league. Now you want you LBers to be rangy.

16 minutes ago, skibum said:

I don't see it. I watch him on almost every defensive snap. He seems to just hang back and watch everyone else make plays. He's never anywhere near the ball, and he never makes any big hits. It almost looks like he's trying to avoid contact with opposing players, unless they are blocking him 9 yards off the play. Meanwhile, Matt Milano is all over the place getting INTs and cleaning dudes' clocks. Maybe I just don't understand football, but I have to think a guy with that kind of physical talent should be more involved in more plays, tracking and crushing the ball carrier. Especially since he's literally in the middle of the defensive field on every play. What am I missing?

I would suggest glasses

19 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Wasn't super impressed with his game today. Had a phenomenal start to the season, just how rookies especially the young runs go at it.

Nobody is going to be impressed with a MLB when the defense is getting destroyed by the run......

What is missed in all that is if the down linemen are getting THEIR ***** kicked.....the MLB is going to get his kicked as well

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think yesterday was his best game and he still wasn't good...........if Preston Brown were that consistently out of position against the run people would be pretty upset.

But like you said.........he makes some plays that help make up for it.........like using his 7' wingspan to tip the pass that caused the Poyer interception and turned into points for the Bills.    

A QB just doesn't anticipate having to throw that high over a MLB.........and that kind've stuff has really been his saving grace........he sometimes closes faster than expected.......his reach surprises people when he's near them creating fumble opportunities.......he's a very different MLB...........but he's gotta' improve because as Philip Rivers showed a good veteran QB can take advantage of him.

Some people don't learn in steady increments...........they struggle along and then it all comes to them sort've at once...........we have to hope he is that way because he's not progressing very quickly.

I don't take much stock in his age as an excuse.........he's played a lot of football and grew up on the game in an NFL family........he's just not very instinctive.......comparing him to Keuchly is one thing but he has had a lot more experience than Vander Esch for example,  who was a very quick study by comparison.

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think yesterday was his best game and he still wasn't good...........if Preston Brown were that consistently out of position against the run people would be pretty upset.

But like you said.........he makes some plays that help make up for it.........like using his 7' wingspan to tip the pass that caused the Poyer interception and turned into points for the Bills.    

A QB just doesn't anticipate having to throw that high over a MLB.........and that kind've stuff has really been his saving grace........he sometimes closes faster than expected.......his reach surprises people when he's near them creating fumble opportunities.......he's a very different MLB...........but he's gotta' improve because as Philip Rivers showed a good veteran QB can take advantage of him.

Some people don't learn in steady increments...........they struggle along and then it all comes to them sort've at once...........we have to hope he is that way because he's not progressing very quickly.

I don't take much stock in his age as an excuse.........he's played a lot of football and grew up on the game in an NFL family........he's just not very instinctive.......comparing him to Keuchly is one thing but he has had a lot more experience than Vander Esch for example,  who was a very quick study by comparison.

Agreed, and it is a good point you make about some people being incremental learners and some not. I have just been talking about corners in another thread and AJ Bouye was a classic light bulb guy. It took him until his 4th year though.... the Bills better hope Edmunds gets it quicker than that. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I love Vander Esch's game. Great pick by the Cowboys.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Nobody is going to be impressed with a MLB when the defense is getting destroyed by the run......

Then I wouldn't be making Kuechly comparisons just yet because he's exactly that kind of MLB that looks impressive against the run no matter the situation. He's All-Pro HOF territory, best MLB in the league for quite a few years because he's super aggressive to the ball and can shed/squirm around blockers to hunt the runner. Consistently.

• Like (+1) 1

He struggles big time in the first half but rebounded nice (though the ejection certainly helped).  At the absolute worst, we have a great OLB. At the best, we have a freak at MLB.  But those instincts separate the good and great MLBs and he certainly had some work to do there.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

From what I saw of the game Edmunds was a big reason for the Jags doing whatever the hell they wanted on the ground. 

Guy is super talented but it won't mean jack ***** if his instincts, feel for the game and his position doesn't improve. 

Yeah, he misdiagnosed a bunch of plays in the first half.  Fans underestimate how much reads and intelligence goes into being a good MLB.  I’ve seen some non great athletes become great MLB just because of their ability to recognize plays.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Then I wouldn't be making Kuechly comparisons just yet because he's exactly that kind of MLB that looks impressive against the run no matter the situation. He's All-Pro HOF territory, best MLB in the league for quite a few years because he's super aggressive to the ball and can shed/squirm around blockers to hunt the runner. Consistently.

Edmunds is "Kooch like" in that they have the same physical traits

by the way....Carolina understood the need to have good DT's in front of him......which is why we are biulding a Carolina type defense in Buffalo

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

From what I saw of the game Edmunds was a big reason for the Jags doing whatever the hell they wanted on the ground. 

Guy is super talented but it won't mean jack ***** if his instincts, feel for the game and his position doesn't improve. 

You mean he didnt overcome our DL getting dominated?

CRUCIFY him!

22 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

The NFL is a passing league now, just look at the stats. #49 is the perfect MLB for the NFL right now and for the foreseeable future.

He needs to lean more about the NFL game and schemes and also has to get strong and nastier. The future is bright for this Defense. 

On 11/25/2018 at 4:38 PM, GunnerBill said:

On 11/25/2018 at 4:46 PM, HappyDays said:

I actually thought he was one of the weakest players on the team today. Not that I'm giving up on him or anything. He's only 20 years old and not even close to a finished product physically and mentally.

This is where I’m at with Edmunds. I am very excited about what the future may hold but at the present time he struggles against the run. He plays on his toes and gets caught up in traffic. He reminds me of an outfielder that always takes the first step in. Often they can recover with elite athleticism (which he has) but better technique and discipline will be crucial to taking the next step.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, patzen said:

I was just watching the highlights of the game and he tipped the pass that went off O'Shaughnessy's hands and Poyer eventually intercepted. Only someone with his size and athletic ability could have impacted that pass. Huge play that essentially sealed Jacksonville's fate.

He’s caused quite a few TO’s so far this year. 

Agree. Edmunds played a very good game. It's easy to blame LBs for "not plugging holes" but I want to know why the coaches kept asking the linemen to push up field to get to the QB when they should be closing off the middle. Make their RBs bounce outside where it would be tough to out run Edmunds and Milano. 

The Jags seem to be simply pushing the penetrating defensive line into the backfield and right by the runner. There were simply too many holes for the LBs to fill especially when the OL or FB were making their second blocks. 

57 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Edmunds is "Kooch like" in that they have the same physical traits

by the way....Carolina understood the need to have good DT's in front of him......which is why we are biulding a Carolina type defense in Buffalo

You mean he didnt overcome our DL getting dominated?

CRUCIFY him!

Where do you come up w this stuff. It’s mesmerizing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He plays just like Kuch.....and he looks just like Kuch did in his first year at MLB

This is not even close to accurate.    Keutchly was on every running backs ass since day 1 

None of the linebackers looked anything like Keutchly when Fournette was busting them up 

Edited by Teddy KGB

Edmunds also played outside most of his college career, so, like McDermott has said about Allen and managing expectations, we should do the same with Edmunds as he's adjusting to a different position as well as the speed of the game at the NFL level.

McDermott has a knack for coaching up DBs and LBs, I think the kid will be fine.

• Like (+1) 1