Derek Anderson must have really gotten walloped

Dan Darragh

I don't remember a guy going as long in the concussion protocol as Derek Anderson has.  It doesn't matter from a football perspective for the Bills but I really feel for the guy.  He was happy playing Mr. Mom and came out of retirement for us.  Is he another Kevin Kolb?

Bills have been under the Cone of Silence on this one as far as I can tell except to say that he's "still in concussion protocol."

3 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

I don't remember a guy going as long in the concussion protocol as Derek Anderson has.  It doesn't matter from a football perspective for the Bills but I really feel for the guy.  He was happy playing Mr. Mom and came out of retirement for us.  Is he another Kevin Kolb?

Bills have been under the Cone of Silence on this one as far as I can tell except to say that he's "still in concussion protocol."

That's all they are allowed to say per league rule.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Tim Connolly basically lost his career because of it.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Indirectly, Peterman being so terrible might have caused this guy a serious head injury. There was no excuse for Peterman to be on this roster after week 1. Him being so useless caused us to throw in Anderson almost right away. I was happy Anderson was playing but it’s a shame for him. The guy was probably expecting to pretty much be a coach in a helmet and because of the ineptitude of our backup, he was forced into the lineup. If Peterman wasn’t even capable of playing, I don’t understand why he was on the roster. It’s over now but it definitely went on to long. Hopefully Anderson ends up being okay. A head injury can effect people in very different ways.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, PirateHookerMD said:

My guess is it is largely a cover for him to save face. He was never supposed to play. With Allen back and now Barkley he can go back to his mentor role he was always supposed to be. 

How do you figure that when he can only be cleared by an independent neurologist?

NFL Head, Neck and Spine Committee’s Concussion Protocol Overview - NFL Play Smart, Play Safe

checklist-june-2018-final1-791x1024.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How do you figure that when he can only be cleared by an independent neurologist?

NFL Head, Neck and Spine Committee’s Concussion Protocol Overview - NFL Play Smart, Play Safe

Shrug, its all super subjective and pseudo-science to clear people. All he has to do is answer a question wrong and he "fails." He has no incentive to want to come back quickly. 

If you were Anderson would you be in a hurry to play? He thought he was walking into a cush QB3/mentor spot. QB3s almost never play. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Shrug, its all super subjective and pseudo-science to clear people. All he has to do is answer a question wrong and he "fails." He has no incentive to want to come back quickly. 

If you were Anderson would you be in a hurry to play? He thought he was walking into a cush QB3/mentor spot. QB3s almost never play. 

Whether he's cleared or not, Allen is ready to take over. There is no reason for any conspiracy with every concussion being different in terms of severity/recovery time. 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Well Karlos Williams was out for a very long time because of a concussion.  Much longer then DA.   Not sure what the Bill's are supposed to say besides hes under concussion protocol?  It's not a cone of silence that's the situation.  

The challenge with Karlos, though, was determining whether he was exhibiting concussion symptoms or just acting like his usual self.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

I have a feeling he didn’t really want to play but was interested in tutoring Allen.  I thought he was holding his arm when he was hurt.  

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

I remember a guy going as long in the concussion protocol as Derek Anderson has.  It doesn't matter from a football perspective for the Bills but I really feel for the guy.  He was happy playing Mr. Mom and came out of retirement for us.  Is he another Kevin Kolb?

I remember Joe Haden was in it forever a couple years ago. I thought he was never coming back. 

1 hour ago, PirateHookerMD said:

My guess is it is largely a cover for him to save face. He was never supposed to play. With Allen back and now Barkley he can go back to his mentor role he was always supposed to be. 

This is probably what’s going on.  The guy is scared to play.  

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

Just for sake of argument. Lets say DA really does not want to play significant NFL minutes anymore and subject himself to more head trauma/body trauma at the end of his career.

It would be easy to answer the concussion protocol questions in a way to look like he is not recovered. Hell, all he would have to say is he feels dizzy every time he runs or jogs and has memory issues...headaches etc. etc....…...that would keep him in the protocol for the rest of the season and he would keep getting paid.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

If I had to guess, age probably plays a roll to some degree. I still can't figure out how he had a concussion from the Patriots game when he was never hit in the head, but whatever. 

He was forearmed to the head and the back of his head hit the turf. Also hit the back of his head on the turf a play of two just prior to that forearm aided hit.

Easiest way to get a concussion is the back of the head hitting.

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

All Buffalo QBs are expected to suffer brain damage. We have a nice tent on the sidelines especially equipped for a lobotomy

lol...

I think it is common knowledge that if a QB signs with Buffalo it is presumed he has some degree of brain damage.

1 hour ago, PirateHookerMD said:

That's how it's kind of struck me as well.  In fact, with the other option, I hope that's the case, too.  You don't want to see anyone suffer a serious head injury, especially when they were happy to have walked away last year.

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

If I had to guess, age probably plays a roll to some degree. I still can't figure out how he had a concussion from the Patriots game when he was never hit in the head, but whatever. 

Wasn’t worth his $60,000 weekly payday to take this punishment 

24 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...at 35, I'd sure as hell stay in "the cone" and collect my 63 grand weekly......still think he caved to McBeane begging him for a QB gaffe bailout.....

:huh: He's on the roster either way and they (McDermott and/or Beane) have nothing to do when he's cleared from the protocol.  Allen is ready to return and Barkley is now there as a backup. This simply does not add up. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I don't remember a guy going as long in the concussion protocol as Derek Anderson has. 

Players in various sports, especially hockey and football, have been in concussion protocol for many months.  Sidney Crosby a few years back was a perfect example.  Pat LaFontaine, unfortunately for the Sabres, remained affected for so long he eventually retired.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....I'd show up EVERY freaking day with my walker and declare myself as "not quite ready"..........pay me anyhow.........

Youd think so and he might but his family won’t want it

2 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Players in various sports, especially hockey and football, have been in concussion protocol for many months.  Sidney Crosby a few years back was a perfect example.  Pat LaFontaine, unfortunately for the Sabres, remained affected for so long he eventually retired.

Pat got trolley tracked into a horrible head blow

• Like (+1) 1

My unscientific observation is that it's slightly better than 50-50 if they're able to play the following week, so it's perfectly normal to miss > 1 game.  That he missed a 2nd game w/ a shortened week in the process probably isn't rare.  This past week, the team has essentially been off so it's possible that he can't progress in the process &/or even if he did, we might not know about it.  If he's out this coming week due to protocol then, yes, it's time to worry.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:huh: He's on the roster either way and they (McDermott and/or Beane) have nothing to do when he's cleared from the protocol.  Allen is ready to return and Barkley is now there as a backup. This smply does not add up. 

...NEVER said they can influence protocol..........gonna be interesting to see McBeane's moves when all three are "ready".....with the other 31 GM's looking here 24/7 and with the TBD Board Experts labeling Allen as a "known bust", stick 'em on the PS.....no one wants a "known bust", right??........:D

3 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I think the latter is all the Bills are allowed to say.

It's not looking good for Anderson, though, and yeah, if he suffers permanent disability as Kolb did, I'm really gonna feel for the guy as well (Kolb is apparently still suffering symptoms on a daily basis).

30 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...NEVER said they can influence protocol..........gonna be interesting to see McBeane's moves when all three are "ready".....with the other 31 GM's looking here 24/7 and with the TBD Board Experts labeling Allen as a "known bust", stick 'em on the PS.....no one wants a "known bust", right??........:D

What will be interesting about it? It will still be Allen,then Barkley. Are you referring to if they keep Anderson or not when he's ready?

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Indirectly, Peterman being so terrible might have caused this guy a serious head injury. There was no excuse for Peterman to be on this roster after week 1. Him being so useless caused us to throw in Anderson almost right away. I was happy Anderson was playing but it’s a shame for him. The guy was probably expecting to pretty much be a coach in a helmet and because of the ineptitude of our backup, he was forced into the lineup. If Peterman wasn’t even capable of playing, I don’t understand why he was on the roster. It’s over now but it definitely went on to long. Hopefully Anderson ends up being okay. A head injury can effect people in very different ways.

I just assumed Anderson and Barkley signed here pretty sure they'd have to start if Allen was hurt. I guess maybe Anderson thought he'd back up Allen, Barkley knew he was signing up to play right away lol what a weird situation for these outside Quarterbacks looking in.