The Cap situation for 2018 is the biggest reason we should all relax about McBeane..

JerseyBills

Dead money in 2018 - Bills - $55,823,196... The next closest team has 15 million less in Dead Money , the Giants at 40 mil, followed by the Cards at 34 mil... What does this tell me ? It's extremely hard to win in this league , and nearly impossible when you have the most dead money on ur roster. This was done intentionally by Buffalo as they gutted a roster they didn't believe was qualified for long term success. 

Then we look at active cap spending for 2018 , the Bills current roster comes in dead last at 124 million. Next is the Giants , at 131 million , followed by Indy at 134.5 million and the Cards at 137 million... Every other team has over 20 million more in active cap spending than the Bills. Just for some perspective, the Jags have the most expensive active cap spending at 187 million! They have a roster worth 63 million more dollars than Buffalo. Bet they're loving that Dareus contract.

What do But , Arizona and the NYG have in common besides a boatload of dead $ , and Indy in active roster spending, is that they all have losing records and are likely done this year. Again, it's hard enough to win on a level playing field , but Bills brass sacrificed this cap space , knew they'd be extremely limited in upgrading the roster in FA but I LOVE that they stuck to their guns and followed their vision and plan.

Approximately 53 mil of the dead cap goes away this off season and we'll at Least be able to spend as much as any other team next year and not have such a HUGE discrepancy in active cap spending. They've drafted very well the last 2 years , and feel they built a foundation they are confident in and will be able to build on that foundation this upcoming off season 

So the point of this is , I feel calling for their heads is unwarranted until they see this thing through til next year and if they are anywhere near as bad , they deserve the ax, but lets give them their 3rd year at least, they rebuilt the roster and I think we'll see a whole different product on the field next year. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Kind of how I feel about the entire matter and it does feel like we have some basic foundation (on defense) that has been built.  Then next year they hopefully try to fill in the gaping holes on offense.

Realized yesterday during the game, that with the bills so horrible, it has completely freed up my Sundays for this season.  So we have that going for us...

Available cap space must be allocated properly via good decision making in UFA and/or trades. Can the Bills' front office led by Beane make the right decisions to address the talent deficiencies?  That's the real question at hand.  Just stating the amount of cap space for '19 shouldn't give anyone comfort enough to relax.

• Like (+1) 4

Can we talk about how a large portion of that is players that were on the team and cut/traded by the current regime? Where we are paying for players that aren’t here that would be an upgrade, and still hurt us financially? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

How much money did they waste this year? Why is next year going to be different? Who are the available free agents that are available and likely to sign here? Just because they have the money does not mean it makes the impact so many think. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Available cap space must be allocated properly via good decision making in UFA and/or trades. Can the Bills' front office led by Beane make the right decisions to address the talent deficiencies?  That's the real question at hand.  Just stating the amount of cap space for '19 shouldn't give anyone comfort enough to relax.

Thats why the OP said we have to see what happens this offseason and next year. They need their third year at least to be able to answer your question. If answered favorably, the fan base will have more confidence in them sticking around. If the answer to you question is No, then we all know the ax comes out. But as OP said, the current situation is part of their plan, which includes making the offseason moves necessary to address the glaring talent woes. They’ve set themselves up to do that, which deserves some degree of credit.

Who will be available in free agency to address our talent deficiencies? Forget for the moment whether any free agents would want to come to Buffalo - which actual players are there who COULD feasibly come here to address our problems at OL, WR, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TremaineAve said:

Thats why the OP said we have to see what happens this offseason and next year. They need their third year at least to be able to answer your question. If answered favorably, the fan base will have more confidence in them sticking around. If the answer to you question is No, then we all know the ax comes out. But as OP said, the current situation is part of their plan, which includes making the offseason moves necessary to address the glaring talent woes. They’ve set themselves up to do that, which deserves some degree of credit.

The OP said relax without providing any reason to do so.  They have made very questionable decisions that should cause concern irrespective of the available cap space which is my exact point. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Dead money in 2018 - Bills - $55,823,196... The next closest team has 15 million less in Dead Money , the Giants at 40 mil, followed by the Cards at 34 mil... What does this tell me ? It's extremely hard to win in this league , and nearly impossible when you have the most dead money on ur roster. This was done intentionally by Buffalo as they gutted a roster they didn't believe was qualified for long term success. 

Then we look at active cap spending for 2018 , the Bills current roster comes in dead last at 124 million. Next is the Giants , at 131 million , followed by Indy at 134.5 million and the Cards at 137 million... Every other team has over 20 million more in active cap spending than the Bills. Just for some perspective, the Jags have the most expensive active cap spending at 187 million! They have a roster worth 63 million more dollars than Buffalo. Bet they're loving that Dareus contract.

What do But , Arizona and the NYG have in common besides a boatload of dead $ , and Indy in active roster spending, is that they all have losing records and are likely done this year. Again, it's hard enough to win on a level playing field , but Bills brass sacrificed this cap space , knew they'd be extremely limited in upgrading the roster in FA but I LOVE that they stuck to their guns and followed their vision and plan.

Approximately 53 mil of the dead cap goes away this off season and we'll at Least be able to spend as much as any other team next year and not have such a HUGE discrepancy in active cap spending. They've drafted very well the last 2 years , and feel they built a foundation they are confident in and will be able to build on that foundation this upcoming off season 

So the point of this is , I feel calling for their heads is unwarranted until they see this thing through til next year and if they are anywhere near as bad , they deserve the ax, but lets give them their 3rd year at least, they rebuilt the roster and I think we'll see a whole different product on the field next year. 

Great, The Bills will have all that cap space next year, to do what with exactly?

Any competent WR, TE, RB is going to avoid this team like the plauge.

most Bills fans were demanding Whaley had to go because of how he F)*(^ the cap situation.

Beane "Cleared" the dead weight/talent off this roster. Fans rejoiced.

Now as we head to UFA fans are ok with overpaying UFAs only to get right back in "cap hell"?

If you were Randall Cobb or Golden Tate and you saw this team trotting out Nate Peterman at QB, and you had offers from Buffalo and a few other teams, that were rough;y identical why would you choose Buffalo? Its going to take 13-15+MM a year to land a Top UFA WR this year. none of those guys are worth that amount.

Currently, it looks like impact players will have to come from the draft and draft only. 

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The OP said relax without providing any reason to do so.  They have made very questionable decisions that should cause concern irrespective of the available cap space which my exact point. 

I agree that some of their decisions support having not much faith in approaching this offseason. But don’t you think the front office and coach need to be able to execute their plan before we can make final judgment? They’ve planned for this huge cap space, now they need to prove to us that they can use it wisely and as needed (and there are lots of needs). 

1 minute ago, TremaineAve said:

I agree that some of their decisions support having not much faith in approaching this offseason. But don’t you think the front office and coach need to be able to execute their plan before we can make final judgment? They’ve planned for this huge cap space, now they need to prove to us that they can use it wisely and as needed (and there are lots of needs). 

I definitely do and have said so on a number of occasions.  That doesn't mean any fan should be confident or relaxed enough to think they execute said plan effectively.  Personally, I'm in wait and see mode.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TremaineAve said:

But what have they showed you so far on their tenure here that they know what they are doing on offence and the only reason they haven't been able to right the ship was money?

THEY CREATED THE DEAD CAP SPACE THEMSELVES. They decided that they had to get rid of good players and take the cap hits to get picks, they even dealt picks to obtain players they later dumped before playing in a meaningful game for them to take on dead cap. The have made more bad FA signings then good ones since coming here and haven't been great with trades either.

So we should cut them some slack for putting themselves in a dead cap issue and having little talent? I think most people could cut them slack if they had shown that they are as good at evaluating talent as their are with dumping it and collecting picks and cap space.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Mango said:

Can we talk about how a large portion of that is players that were on the team and cut/traded by the current regime? Where we are paying for players that aren’t here that would be an upgrade, and still hurt us financially? 

I love the "dead cap space" argument for why the Bills suck. It reminds me of the apocryphal story of the young man who kills both his parents and then asks the judge for leniency because he is an orphan!!!

The idiot GM Beane and his clueless friend McDermott created the mess they claim has victimized them. These two clowns have made all the decisions that have led this franchise to become a laughingstock of the league. An offense that is historically bad by any measure has been brought to you by GM Beane and head coach McDoofus!

Jon Gruden trades away Khalil Mack, his best pass rusher, and then whines about his teams' lack of pass rush. He tries to blame anyone and anything other than himself. This is another example of incompetence.

In the future, the Bills cap situation will likely improve. Whoopee!  Do you have great faith in this management team to succeed in handling it? Free agents see Buffalo as a last chance stop for a big paycheck before retirement. The Bills record of signing big money free agents who have produced well has been largely a deplorable failure.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, ngbills said:

How much money did they waste this year? Why is next year going to be different? Who are the available free agents that are available and likely to sign here? Just because they have the money does not mean it makes the impact so many think. 

Yep.  Not only do you have to identify the right free agents, but they have to be willing to sign here.

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I definitely do and have said so on a number of occasions.  That doesn't mean any fan should be confident or relaxed enough to think they execute said plan effectively.  Personally, I'm in wait and see mode.

I’m right with you in wait and see mode. And I’m right with you about questioning some decisions and not feeling all that confident that they can right this ship. I’m trying to be as hopeful as possible.

3 minutes ago, TremaineAve said:

I’m right with you in wait and see mode. And I’m right with you about questioning some decisions and not feeling all that confident that they can right this ship. I’m trying to be as hopeful as possible.

The real ship that needs to be righted is Josh Allen. And that ship is sinking.

It's just started to take on water, so no one really notices that the water line is rising right now.  

Wait until we are, say, 6 games into next year.  The clamoring for a QB and regime change will be deafening.

Yes, I know, you don't have to believe this today.  Just wait a while and report back then.

7 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

But what have they showed you so far on their tenure here that they know what they are doing on offence and the only reason they haven't been able to right the ship was money?

THEY CREATED THE DEAD CAP SPACE THEMSELVES. They decided that they had to get rid of good players and take the cap hits to get picks, they even dealt picks to obtain players they later dumped before playing in a meaningful game for them to take on dead cap. The have made more bad FA signings then good ones since coming here and haven't been great with trades either.

So we should cut them some slack for putting themselves in a dead cap issue and having little talent? I think most people could cut them slack if they had shown that they are as good at evaluating talent as their are with dumping it and collecting picks and cap space.

They got us to the playoffs last season, with an undertalented team as a whole and poor offense! That’s tangible evidence that there is some hope. They coached us and otherwise got us to a winning record, and with some luck the playoffs. They’ve also done at least a decent job in drafting thus far to put in place some hopeful foundations on which a solid team can be built, putting aside personal judgments on not just Allen but also Edmunds and the rest of the lot. These things show me that there is at least some hope for the future. This next draft and offseason will be the tell alls as to whether the current leadership is the right one for us. Then we can judge in final.

• Like (+1) 1

Why do so many assume FA’s will sign here? Sure, money talks, but it’s not like they’re forced to take our money. John Brown chose a 1 year prove it  with Joe Flacco and the ravens over our 3 year offer... Joe ***** Flacco. I know this doesn’t mean every FA will do this, but we will surely miss out on some FAs we want due to how things are going currently. 

12 minutes ago, TremaineAve said:

They got us to the playoffs last season, with an undertalented team as a whole and poor offense! That’s tangible evidence that there is some hope. They coached us and otherwise got us to a winning record, and with some luck the playoffs. They’ve also done at least a decent job in drafting thus far to put in place some hopeful foundations on which a solid team can be built, putting aside personal judgments on not just Allen but also Edmunds and the rest of the lot. These things show me that there is at least some hope for the future. This next draft and offseason will be the tell alls as to whether the current leadership is the right one for us. Then we can judge in final.

They backed into the playoffs on a fluke TD by another team to end a game. They tried their best to miss the playoffs. Theres just as likely a chance that the players overachieved in spite of the coaching staff then the coaching staff going everything right to get them into the playoffs. During the "playoff run" they dumped one of their best run defenders on a defense that wasnt very good against the run, they also switched QBs to Peterman for a critical game during their playoff run. The entire run was dependent on the defence taking the ball away  more then what can be expected.

It's funny how McDermott will get credit for getting them into the playoffs just cause he was the coach, but many wont give Tyrod credit  even though he was the starting QB for them that season.

Edited by apuszczalowski

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No not relax

but also not slit their wrists

Even with all this cap room, McBeane are build through the draft types who focus on getting their guys.  In  UFA they're looking for certain types (former Panthers, or less heralded team first guys) and not big name types.  At the same time, I could see them going full Buddy Nix circa 2012 when they realize their jobs are on the line if the team doesn't significantly improve.  They certainly won't make the same mistake former NYJ GM John Idzik did saving all that cap room in a do or die season.

If McBeane want the instant results it'll require wading into the dark waters of potentially bad UFA contracts and therefore going outside "the process."  Yet, if they don't spend big, it'll mean being less than a playoff team and probably cost them their jobs.  I still don't know how they'll spend these cap dollars, but I'm willing to bet most of it won't be on the defensive side.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

They backed into the playoffs on a fluke TD by another team to end a game. They tried their best to miss the playoffs. Theres just as likely a chance that the players overachieved in spite of the coaching staff then the coaching staff going everything right to get them into the playoffs. During the "playoff run" they dumped one of their best run defenders on a defense that wasnt very good against the run, they also switched QBs to Peterman for a critical game during their playoff run. The entire run was dependent on the defence taking the ball away  more then what can be expected.

First of all....there is no such thing as fluke...they had to win enough games to qualify for the playoffs and teams get lucky along with way which is what happened for us......another team helped us get it in.

Having said that.....last year was a total rebiuld year based on their actions and I really dont think they expected to have to give up 2 additional 2nd round picks to get to their qb.

I am wondering who those 2nd round players could have turned into.

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Even with all this cap room, McBeane are build through the draft types who focus on getting their guys.  In  UFA they're looking for certain types (former Panthers, or less heralded team first guys) and not big name types.  At the same time, I could see them going full Buddy Nix circa 2012 when they realize their jobs are on the line if the team doesn't significantly improve.  They certainly won't make the same mistake former NYJ GM John Idzik did saving all that cap room in a do or die season.

If McBeane want the instant results it'll require wading into the dark waters of potentially bad UFA contracts and therefore going outside "the process."  Yet, if they don't spend big, it'll mean being less than a playoff team and probably cost them their jobs.  I still don't know how they'll spend these cap dollars, but I'm willing to bet most of it won't be on the defensive side.  

I honestly do not care about names.....I care about guys that actually fit debolls system.  Playmaking will be made from players doing what they are supposed to do.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

First of all....there is no such thing as fluke...they had to win enough games to qualify for the playoffs and teams get lucky along with way which is what happened for us......another team helped us get it in.

Having said that.....last year was a total rebiuld year based on their actions and I really dont think they expected to have to give up 2 additional 2nd round picks to get to their qb.

Well that coach that got us to the playoffs decided to ditch the QB who took them to the playoffs for the guy who couldnt make it through half a game. 

And of course theres no such thing as a fluke, I'm sure if they had to the Bengals could replicate that catch again if they needed to.....

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is true. Massive cap space does not automatically mean that the Bills will be getting a lot of top notch free agents.

That being said, look at who the Bills signed in free agency this year.....

Star Lotuleilei. Without question this guy is overpaid. However, he is far from being the liability that a lot fans have said that he would be or is. In fact, he's been a positive addition for the Bills.

Trent Murphy. Yes, the injury history has reared it's ugly head regarding him, but he has been a good pass rusher for us, and his contract is team friendly.

Chris Ivory. Many people here bemoaned this signing. I wasn't exactly doing handsprings when we signed him either. Yet look at how he has done. I know he's not the starter, but he's been a lone bright spot on our terrible offense.

The front office did strike out on Jeremey Kerley & Corey Coleman, and that's too bad. Yet they did a pretty good job with these three players considering how much cap space we had.

Like I said, there are no guarantees that will attract a lot of top name free agents, but it's not impossible to think that the Bills will get a few players that will be an upgrade for the team, either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

This offense is historically bad, you could see McD watching the offense on the sidelines and it is clear that they will need to spend significant free agent money on the offense. I agree with you in general that McBeane is more of a retain your own players type regime but they will have to at least bring in 3-4 starters via free agency on the offense and I suspect they will sign a corner on the defensive side as well. They can spend every draft pick on the offensive side of the ball and it won't be enough of an infusion of talent to impact the tide of the offense enough. 

They need to infuse the offense with talent using at least a significant chunk of their cap space. Considering the good market for interior O-line players and the massive need there I can't help but think that they will at least go big game hunting to sign one big contract there. Although the WR market isn't all that great I think they bring in at least one veteran of note there too. I am hoping for a somewhat big spending spree along the offense (I would love to see Saffold from the Rams and one other interior O-line player come in along with Golden Tate) but I am prepared for a more modest spending season. 

I’ll simplify it. You don’t get to be a terrible 2-7 team with tons of dead cap unless someone in the front office screwed up BIG TIME. The only debate now is whether that ‘somebody’ is the current GM or the last one. We won’t know the answer for a year or two but I’ve got to believe the current group is getting real nervous.

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Well that coach that got us to the playoffs decided to ditch the QB who took them to the playoffs for the guy who couldnt make it through half a game. 

And of course theres no such thing as a fluke, I'm sure if they had to the Bengals could replicate that catch again if they needed to.....

Tyrod Taylor was a band aid....he made this OL look better then it was......and even though he had totally hit is ceiling as a QB he was never as bad as some would have made himout to be

but

He also was not going to get us where we needed to go...and that was also true....the 2 steps back to go 3 steps forward turned into 5 steps back to go (I dont know how many steps forward yet)

50% of that dead cap are contracts Beane signed in less than two years!  That does not bode well for his cap management skills

They are not all Whaley clean up moves contrary to popular belief for people who don't want to put in the Spotrac research team.

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

Great, The Bills will have all that cap space next year, to do what with exactly?

Any competent WR, TE, RB is going to avoid this team like the plauge.

most Bills fans were demanding Whaley had to go because of how he F)*(^ the cap situation.

Beane "Cleared" the dead weight/talent off this roster. Fans rejoiced.

Now as we head to UFA fans are ok with overpaying UFAs only to get right back in "cap hell"?

If you were Randall Cobb or Golden Tate and you saw this team trotting out Nate Peterman at QB, and you had offers from Buffalo and a few other teams, that were rough;y identical why would you choose Buffalo? Its going to take 13-15+MM a year to land a Top UFA WR this year. none of those guys are worth that amount.

Currently, it looks like impact players will have to come from the draft and draft only. 

I disagree. Number 1. , Allen will likely be the starter and I'm confident we address the backup spot. Besides Allen , Dawkins,Teller , Shady , Murphy ,Zay ,Ray Ray and Croom , no one on O is safe, including Daboll. 

You can say the same thing about Cleveland last year . Yet they added probably the top WR FA in Landry . Money talks with these guys . Obviously the player needs to buy in but we have the luxury to totally overhaul this debacle on offense and target specific players to build around Allen.

Will we pay a little more than a different team? Possibly. But if it is a high end talent like Tate or Cobb , they'll sit with Bills brass and discuss the changes and direction of the O , and we also have a phenomenal D they'll be playing with.

52 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I honestly do not care about names.....I care about guys that actually fit debolls system.  Playmaking will be made from players doing what they are supposed to do.

So basically, out-execute the opponent? 

Besides, I'm not clear what Daboll's system is or whether McCoach understands that side of the ball.

Just now, BillsVet said:

So basically, out-execute the opponent? 

Besides, I'm not clear what Daboll's system is or whether McCoach understands that side of the ball.

I dont mean you are devoid of playmaking ability......but players have to block....wr's catch......QBs throw

I dont care about the name on the back of the jersey so much as their ability to just play football

I agree.  And have said this a few times.  10 picks and 90 million.   Look at what rams did in year 2 of goff in draft and FA.

DE Connor Barwin, RB Lance Dunbar, QB Aaron Murray, CB Nickell Robey-Coleman, C John Sullivan, DT Tyrunn Walker, CB Kayvon Webster, OT Andrew Whitworth, WR Robert Woods, TE Gerald Everett (R2), WR Cooper Kupp (R3), S John Johnson (R3), WR Josh Reynolds (R4) plus Sammy Watkins.  

they really had not much outside Donald.  We have 3/4 of an elite D.   We need to find a new RB...but that isnt hard.  The rest is blueprint above.  Sign a WR or 2.  OL or 2 and surround Josh with a team and see what happens. 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's funny how McDermott will get credit for getting them into the playoffs just cause he was the coach, but many wont give Tyrod credit  even though he was the starting QB for them that season.

Or Whaley any credit because he was like 90% responding for every player in the team last year. 

But we fired him and he’s a loser so let’s not give him any credit. Instead let’s blame him for the dead cap money from good players he signed/resigned that this joke of a Front Office cut or traded and had to pay anyway. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

They’ve shown me that they are great at evaluating talent in the draft.  Allen being the biggest question mark in this draft.  Zay Jones being the only question mark in last years draft.  Edmunds, Phillips, Johnson all look to be core players, very good core players at that.  Tre’davious, Dawkins and Milano clearly Impressive.  Jury still out on Allen obviously and Jones has been much better in year 2.  That’s some reason for optimism.  If you disagree, you’re either blind or arguing just to argue.  In 2 years under McD, we’ve drafted very well.

free agency under Beane this year wasn’t very exciting.  

It seemed as if the Vontae signing was good value, until we found out he’s aged a decade in the last 2 years.

I HATED the contract given to star.  That said, he’s overpaid, but he’s been doing exactly what we overpaid him to do.  We HAVE to overpay good players to come to Buffalo. It’s the fact of the matter.  

Trent Murphy’s health has been a real issue and it’s been hurting our pass rush.  When he’s been healthy, our pass rush was impressive.  When he’s out, it suffers.  So is he a bad signing?  7 mill a year for a productive pass rusher....when he’s healthy enough to suit up.  I wouldn’t say it’s bad.  What other productive pass rusher would’ve signed here for 7 mill a year?

philip Gaines sucks.  We barely paid him anything to compete for the #3-4 cb.  Vontae makes this signing look worse than it is.  But I do hate Gaines.  Those that said we should’ve resigned Ej, I agree.....but he’s been hurt all year too.

jordan Phillips has been a nice addition.  

Sure, people will always be pissed while Mahomes is throwing 5 TDs a week to the most talents group of receivers in the last decade+ while executing Andy Reid’s playcalls, meanwhile we’re 2-7.  I get it hurts, but because we missed on a couple QBs, doesn’t mean we haven’t drafted well.  We’ve drafted very well the last 2 years imo.  And while we didn’t have much cap room and 56mill in dead cap, we also added a few solid FA’s that we overpaid for.  Guess what?  We’re going to overpay for free agents next year too.  If we have GM other than Beane, he’s going to overpay for free agents too.  That’s not going to change anytime soon.

in summary, I believe McBeane has shown us that they’re capable of building for the long run. Not to say that they will succeed in sustaining long term success, which is their motto, but I believe they know how to identify talent.  They just didn’t have the resources to fix the offense last year.  I saw this as a 3 year minimum rebuild after they traded Tyrod, Sammy, Darby and Dareus and has to absorb all that dead money this year.  This current team is a reflection of that dead cap number.  Sure, they’re responsible for the dead cap number but taking 1 step backward in order to take 2 steps forward is in play.  We took a step back this year. I believe we will see some steps forward in the coming seasons, due to their ability to draft well and hopefully use their cap room to improve the rest.....and cut sweet nate pete.

• Like (+1) 1