Sean McDermott is Out of Answers

I listened to the post-game show last night, and Sean McDermott is out of answers folks. When his team gets kicked in the teeth, he pulls out his Dick Jauron cue cards repeats the most bland answers and cliches. 

First question out of the gate: "your offense has 2 Touchdowns in the last 5 games, explain it" and McDermott leads with "the defense came out and played well at times"... "go back and find answers". 

On McCoy's ineffectiveness as a runner - "making sure we are giving LeSean opportunities, and I have to go back and look at the tape" - HEY SEAN, MAYBE STOP ALLOWING SWEEPS AND PITCHES TO THE EDGES

"Learn from our mistakes"

"We are developing a football team"

"Learn from the tape"

From your time in the NFL could you recall any offense you've been a part of that has struggled like this? .... "establish the line of scrimmage early, thought we did some of that early, they made adjustments, and we weren't able to sustain it really the rest of the game

Derek Anderson evaluation: "thought he made some good throws, and he had some throws he'd like back"

What is holding Derek Anderson's back: "being able to establish the run game ... stay in 3rd and manageable"

Why is first down such a problem? "Can't get it going"

And so I ask Bills fans, do McDermott's answers bother you? Because they aggravate me. You have Bills fans sitting out there all night to watch a 47 yard and 51 yard FG and they get: we have to study tape harder. They get we are building a culture as we "move this thing forward".  

I think McDermott really thinks that you can line up in 2018 with an extra Tight End and Fullback, and run over teams across a 16-game schedule. That you can line McCoy up and just use the run game to control the line of scrimmage and that still works in the NFL. That you can watch tape, correct mistakes, and learn to be good offensively. That stay in 3rd and manageable is an accomplishment. 

Halfway through the season, 11-13 as a Coach and I think McDermott is out of answers. If he was gifted Alvin Kamara today he wouldn't know how to use him. He'd slam him into the line 8 times and talk about physicality. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think they're content with playing this season out, however it goes. Next step of the rebuild is FA and draft.

As a fan, I'm not looking for answers for this season, honestly. Just watching the games to see who I think will stay on the team.

Regarding the game, I thought they should've used Clay and Croom more. When they finally did, they almost scored that TD.

• Like (+1) 4

This is all about being a leader, and he's learning as well.  Rex took the polar opposite approach (let his emotions dictate his actions) and the team was all over the place.  Getting the Bills to become a perennial contender is not easy, and there is going to be much pain along the way.. He needs to continue to be strong so that his team will continue to follow him if he has any shot at getting this to work.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Zaso Art Designs said:

Another thing that he keeps saying is that we have a young football team. But the team isn't that young. 

A stat was shown last night pointing out that 40% of the Bills' roster is either 1st or 2nd year players.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

McDermott is over matched as a Head Coach. 

He's a good coordinator, but through 1.5 years he's shown zero understanding of what an NFL QB looks like, forcing Peterman on the field for Taylor last year, drafting Allen, making Peterman the starter and trading McCarron away for a bag of footballs. Additionally, his coordinator hires have been suspect. Rick Dennison was terrible and Brian Daboll hasn't been much better. We constantly give away talent so that McDermott can bring in his guys and the result is that the offense is now featuring replacement level talent at most positions on offense. 

People want to blame a lot of people for the offense's woes and rarely do I see McDermott's name mentioned. Right now I'm putting this all on him. This is 100% HIS TEAM and the fact that we have the worst offense in the NFL over the past 20 years is completely unacceptable. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think what the coach says to the media is really all that important to be honest. Belichick generally doesn't provide any answers of relevance either and he seems to do alright.

His coaching is all that matters (which I'm not particularly happy with either).

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Zaso Art Designs said:

Another thing that he keeps saying is that we have a young football team. But the team isn't that young. 

They have the highest percentage of 1st and 2nd year players in the league. They're also "young" in terms of this being only their 2nd year under this regime.

4 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

I kind of feel like that's how he always answers.  I mean what can he really say?  The QB situation is beyond bad at this point in time...and the staff deserves blame for that.  I know things are bad but McDermott and Bean McDermott deserve more time.

What about their management of the offense suggests they deserve more time?

Is it their management of the offense, or the fact that this is the worst offense the NFL has seen in 20 years at a time when the rules are set up to encourage scoring?

Just now, jrober38 said:

McDermott is over matched as a Head Coach. 

He's a good coordinator, but through 1.5 years he's shown zero understanding of what an NFL QB looks like, forcing Peterman on the field for Taylor last year, drafting Allen, making Peterman the starter and trading McCarron away for a bag of footballs. Additionally, his coordinator hires have been suspect. Rick Dennison was terrible and Brian Daboll hasn't been much better. We constantly give away talent so that McDermott can bring in his guys and the result is that the offense is now featuring replacement level talent at most positions on offense. 

People want to blame a lot of people for the offense's woes and rarely do I see McDermott's name mentioned. Right now I'm putting this all on him. This is 100% HIS TEAM and the fact that we have the worst offense in the NFL over the past 20 years is completely unacceptable. 

Should the expectation for a rookie head coach be that he starts out an instant hall of famer?

I don't disagree with you about blaming McDermott for poor qb assessment.. But he seems like a hard enough worker with good character and leadership that he will be able to figure this out.  At least I hope.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Zaso Art Designs said:

Here is an interesting stat for you then......What team leads the league in snaps for 1st and 2nd year players in 2018?

The correct answer is the Bills.

BTW I much preffer the subdued McD over the loud mouth brash Wrex.

Just now, Jobot said:

Should the expectation for a rookie head coach be that he starts out an instant hall of famer?

I don't disagree with you about blaming McDermott for poor qb assessment.. But he seems like a hard enough worker with good character and leadership that he will be able to figure this out.  At least I hope.

No. He doesn't need to be a Hall of Famer.

I just don't think we should be committing ourselves to a HC who has fielded nothing but horrendous offenses. A guy who has shown no ability to evaluate QBs. A guy who insists on trading talent away so he can have guys who fit his culture, even if they can't perform on the field. A guy whose football team is now featuring the worst offense the NFL has seen in 20 years. 

What are we doing here? The NFL is about scoring points and we're still playing games not to lose, which never works out. 

McDermott is trying to win games 14-13 when the top teams in the NFL are doing the opposite, trying to win shootouts 35-30. Our whole approach is out of date and it's blatantly obvious on the field that McDermott's coaching philosophy doesn't lineup with what's happening in the modern NFL.

2 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Here is an interesting stat for you then......What team leads the league in snaps for 1st and 2nd year players in 2018?

The correct answer is the Bills.

BTW I much preffer the subdued McD over the loud mouth brash Wrex.

This is 100% McDermott and Beane's choice.

They're the ones who got rid of everyone we drafted except 3 guys prior to the 2017 season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I just don't think we should be committing ourselves to a HC who has fielded nothing but horrendous offenses. A guy who has shown no ability to evaluate QBs. A guy who insists on trading talent away so he can have guys who fit his culture, even if they can't perform on the field. A guy whose football team is now featuring the worst offense the NFL has seen in 20 years. 

What are we doing here? The NFL is about scoring points and we're still playing games not to lose, which never works out. 

McDermott is trying to win games 14-13 when the top teams in the NFL are doing the opposite, trying to win shootouts 35-30. Our whole approach is out of date and it's blatantly obvious on the field that McDermott's coaching philosophy doesn't lineup with what's happening in the modern NFL.

They're the ones who got rid of everyone we drafted except 3 guys prior to the 2017 season. 

I see your not trusting the process ;)

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm not sure I agree with this to be honest. I think if he were content to winning games with defense and protecting the ball on offense to keep the scores down, Tyrod would remain the QB. Choosing to attempt to win games that way while we're clearly overmatched is different from if they continue to play that way once the offense has all the pieces they desire.

I don't really agree with the way McBeane have gone about trying to rebuild the foundation, but it at least appears to me that the plan is to address the offense this offseason now that the defense is more or less set.

Edited by DCOrange

4 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Who would you like to replace him?

An Innovative Offensive Mind that has experience developing QBs. John Defilippo comes to mind. 

Chris Peterson 

Lincoln Riley 

Edited by MAJBobby

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

A stat was shown last night pointing out that 40% of the Bills' roster is either 1st or 2nd year players.

They showed something about the Buffalo Bills on ESPN?

Most of the stuff I saw was on the greatness of Marcia Lady and the Cheats aside from the weird ass CG of the QBs, Randy Moss career highlights, Rand Moss at Niagara Falls and Young eating Applebees wings with Ranch...

Every McD press conference sounds the same. It’s always the same generic answers for every question. This shouldn’t be surprising to anyone st this point. This is just the way coaches talk to the media.

McD and BB created this disaster of an offense and I don’t expect things to get solved through a single draft or offseason. Ultimately, I think it’s what gets everyone fired.

It's amazing how things don't change here. He basically is a Jauron replica and the same people who liked DJ are the same people who are defending him now, and for the same reasons. 

Jauron's teams were the kings of the moral victory. I remember in those first 2 years how much praise he got from certain people about how the team "stays in" games. 

It's the same ultra-conservative offense with a bend but don't break defense that allows the team to stay within striking distance...but it's not going to get you a lot of wins. The problem is, these types of coaches are content with that. 

Just now, Skins Malone said:

I kind of feel like that's how he always answers.  I mean what can he really say?  The QB situation is beyond bad at this point in time...and the staff deserves blame for that.  I know things are bad but McDermott and Bean McDermott deserve more time.

I've said repeatedly that because of the Playoff birth in 2017, McDermott and Beane get 2018 and 2019 to try and get this thing turned around. 

But there are things that are really bothering me about this FO. 

1. They selected Josh Allen. He was marginal at Wyoming, wasn't good in 5.5 games here, is hurt, and now Beane is saying he can't rule out him missing the rest of this year, and he's really the plan for 2019 after the Bills spend their cap and picks on offense? It looks like Manuel in 2014 again honestly. It was supposed to be a 2-3 week injury, and now they're talking about the rest of 2018. This is a huge concern. One hit on that elbow in 2019 and is he out? 

Forget the veteran presence, the Bills need to make a legitimate run at a QB this offseason. You can't bank on Josh Allen. His performance and that elbow is real. He can compete for the job no doubt. He gets all the reps he wants. But he can not be handed the job in 2019 with pathetic backups. 

2. I really think McDermott thinks you can run over people in 2018. That you can Coach up scrubs and win. How is he any different offensively than Rex Ryan? Our fans hate Rex, how is McDermott any different? Look at the OC's he's wanted or hired - McCoy, Dennison and now Daboll. CONSERVATIVE. 

3. The talent this FO has gone after in the skill positions - Boldin, Tolbert, Kerley, Coleman, Foster, Ray Ray McCloud, Kahari Lee, Benjamin, Kaelin Clay, Philly Brown, Rod Streater. Come on. Can you get serious?

4. Why is LeSean McCoy not in the slot, with Murphy and Ivory running straight ahead? McCoy can't run the ball anymore. He's frazzled and he loses yards. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't care what a coach says at press conferences...what bothers me is it seems we are going week to week trying to figure who is the starting QB . They broke down a decent offense to this...As bad as Taylor was as a passer, his threat to run helped McCoy and his scrambling kept drives alive...now we have this

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

With today's Bills team, that's the only logical choice of strategy.  They tried to build a better offense, but did a very poor job and are now stuck with what they've got.

I look at it this way... He's a clear leader that the team plays hard for, so if we see continued improvement over his tenure, then I'm comfortable letting him continue as our head coach.  But I also expect more bumps along the way.

Edited by Jobot

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It's the same ultra-conservative offense with a bend but don't break defense that allows the team to stay within striking distance...but it's not going to get you a lot of wins. The problem is, these types of coaches are content with that. 

God I hate that bend but don't break style of defense.  McD got it right when he took over the play calling vs the Chargers and had them playing aggressive and bringing the pressure on the QB.

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Every McD press conference sounds the same. It’s always the same generic answers for every question. This shouldn’t be surprising to anyone st this point. This is just the way coaches talk to the media.

McD and BB created this disaster of an offense and I don’t expect things to get solved through a single draft or offseason. Ultimately, I think it’s what gets everyone fired.

Totally agree. How much improvement can we reasonably expect in one offseason?

We're currently scoring under 11 PPG. Does anyone really expect that number to move into the 20s, and essentially double in one year? Probably not.

The Bills need to replace 8, maybe 9 players on offense. No chance that's happening in one year. 

1 minute ago, BmarvB said:

God I hate that bend but don't break style of defense.  McD got it right when he took over the play calling vs the Chargers and had them playing aggressive and bringing the pressure on the QB.

I've never felt more comfortable watching the Bills D against the PATs than I felt last night.  I thought they played outstanding.

If Edmunds is in the game, he stops James White on the PATS eventual only TD drive

Edited by Jobot

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

With today's Bills team, that's the only logical choice of strategy.  They tried to build a better offense, but did a very poor job and are now stuck with what they've got.

I look at it this way... He's a clear leader that the team plays hard for, so if we see continued improvement over his tenure, then I'm comfortable letting him continue as our head coach.  But I also expect more bumps along the way.

Continued improvement?

The team has imploded this year. 

He inherited a decent team from Rex Ryan, and managed to go 9-7 last year. Now we're well on our way to a top 5 pick.

No offense, but the team is rapidly moving in the wrong direction...