Sean McDermott is Out of Answers

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Because that's YOUR opinion, and you're telling people that if they don't agree with management, they shouldn't be fans of the team anymore. That has EVERYTHING to do with being a homer. It's the very definition. 

If you're just debating that you believe Beane and McDermott have a direction and that you feel they're doing a great job...whatever...but telling people they should jump off the bandwagon if they don't think that is telling people to be blind followers. 

I am simply saying that if this is causing you that much pain there is probably another team out there that would make this more enjoyable for you.....

If fandom is being out there criticising ever little move and not seeing the big picture of the team......that sounds like a poor choice of your time

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

WTF....how is it irrelevent...if they are losing on purpose then they are doing EXACTLY WHAT THEY SET OUT TO DO

It has nothing to do with being a homer...it has to do with waiting to see the final product...which is not coming this season.

And why do you think they are allowing it to be this bad.....just think about it for a minute.....

If they hated it THAT much...they would have already fired Deboll

NO attempts to improve what they know is a horrible OL and WR situation.....NO ATTEMPTS

They are not telling the team to go out there and lose...they CANT do that...they can in fact just not put in short term fixes to improve their situation....that is how you tank

When one can no longer swim in the pool of excuses they break out a pair of losing on purpose floaties and just chill in the deep end. 

Just now, Commonsense said:

When one can no longer swim in the pool of excuses they break out a pair of losing on purpose floaties and just chill in the deep end. 

Really?   Hasnt really been talked about much but there are a lot of things that point to it......

They want that top 5 pick...they know they are not going to win this year with a raw rookie QB....

Its not a finished product...it is what it is

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

WTF....how is it irrelevent...if they are losing on purpose then they are doing EXACTLY WHAT THEY SET OUT TO DO

It has nothing to do with being a homer...it has to do with waiting to see the final product...which is not coming this season.

And why do you think they are allowing it to be this bad.....just think about it for a minute.....

If they hated it THAT much...they would have already fired Deboll

NO attempts to improve what they know is a horrible OL and WR situation.....NO ATTEMPTS

They are not telling the team to go out there and lose...they CANT do that...they can in fact just not put in short term fixes to improve their situation....that is how you tank

They have been very clear that they need to rebuild the team from what was in existence when they arrived.  that is true.  But stop with the stuff about not trying to improve at say WR.  They brought in Kerley in FA, tried Coleman, had a ton of WR in camp.  Took a shot at the guy who went to the Ravens.  O line they went out and got their starting C in FA, and it is just a reflection of that fact that the O line talent in the league overall is lacking.  And so on. 

21 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

When is this franchise ever held accountable? 

What does this mean - how do you hold a "franchise" accountable?

In the past few years we had new owners, new coaches, new GM, a mostly new roster - who else are they going to hold accountable?  I suppose if fans really want to "make them accountable" they could stop going to games, but call me when that happens, I'll be able to get tickets on the cheap!

Edited by Heitz

Just now, oldmanfan said:

They have been very clear that they need to rebuild the team from what was in existence when they arrived.  that is true.  But stop with the stuff about not trying to improve at say WR.  They brought in Kerley in FA, tried Coleman, had a ton of WR in camp.  Took a shot at the guy who went to the Ravens.  O line they went out and got their starting C in FA, and it is just a reflection of that fact that the O line talent in the league overall is lacking.  And so on. 

Well lets examine that

Kerley - inexpensive guy.....not the answer

Colemen - castoff.......boom or bust.....inexpesive

OL.....went with what they have

Does any of this paint a picture?  THEY DID NOT BRING ANYONE THAT YOU TRULY WOULD BIULD AROUND......where is the number 1 wide receiver talent.....where is the guy they committed to on a several year contract?   All cheap roll player guys.   They wanted to free up as much cap space for this upcoming offseason as they possibly can.

What do you think they are going to do with it?

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

How about anybody but this loser. He’s out coached time and time again. His teams aren’t prepared. If people can complain about the players not executing, look no further than the coach. 

Lets not sit her and ask who’s going to be our next coach. Everyone wants to ask this question. Like if you fire this coach now, nobody will want to come to this team. Obviously anyone with a brain would refuse to coach such a team with no talent. Well, first question is, why does this team have no talent? Well, the short answer is McDermott. When he, and Beane, came in he traded away multiple parts that were here and are now playing well for other teams. For the ones they didn’t trade, they allowed to walk in FA. 

Dareus (still paying his contract)

Watkins

Woods

Hogan

Goodwin

Darby

Brown

Gaines

These are just off the top of my head. Not that all these players are very good. But they were all bodies. They all started for us. And they all start for other teams now. Most of them producing. 

In return, we are still paying good portions of other people’s contracts (50m+ in dead cap). Look no further than this coach for letting these players go, or trading them because they didn’t meet his ridiculous standards. At some point we need football players. Not a bunch of William and Mary lunch pail guys. 

We replaced all of those guys with other bodies that aren’t as good or aren’t as good yet. The coach and GM are to blame. 

Revisionist history yet again.  at the time people thought Woods was overpriced, no one wanted Goodwin because he couldn't stay on the field.  Brown got roasted routinely around here.  Darby is having it tough in Philly.  Dareus was a big piece of goo that did not live up tom his contract.

Of you list I personally would have liked to see Watkins and Hogan stay. 

Let's just stop with the Monday morning QB stuff. 

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am simply saying that if this is causing you that much pain there is probably another team out there that would make this more enjoyable for you.....

If fandom is being out there criticising ever little move and not seeing the big picture of the team......that sounds like a poor choice of your time

Again...what YOU think is the big picture of the team. Many people disagree that management is taking this in the right direction. Doesn't mean they need to leave.

Sometimes I think about how cults were formed or how so many people were on board with slavery or with the Nazi's...and then I see things like this and remember how people think this way. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Again...what YOU think is the big picture of the team. Many people disagree that it's going in the right direction. Doesn't mean they need to leave.

Sometimes I think about how cults were formed or how so many people were on board with slavery or with the Nazi's...and then I see things like this and remember how people think this way. 

Enjoy the whine fest.....your tears are clogging up the board

What do you expect him to say? 

The offensive line sucks and can't block, the WRs can't catch a damn cold let alone a ball and our QBs don't have time to get through the progression without putting their life in jeopardy. 

They needed to hit rock bottom to clear out all the dead cap space and this is the result of that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Well lets examine that

Does any of this paint a picture?  THEY DID NOT BRING ANYONE THAT YOU TRULY WOULD BIULD AROUND......where is the number 1 wide receiver talent.....where is the guy they committed to on a several year contract?   All cheap roll player guys.   They wanted to free up as much cap space for this upcoming offseason as they possibly can.

Bring in new guys..  I suspect they will be looking at FAs like a Hyde or Poyer, a little under the radar but really solid guys.  Hopefully at WR and especially O line.  I expect a WR to be drafted day one or two.  Maybe two.

But the T word.  I'm think that word should be banned.  I suspect everyone at ONE BD would as well.

1 hour ago, Zaso Art Designs said:

Another thing that he keeps saying is that we have a young football team. But the team isn't that young. 

40 percent of our players are first or second-year players. We are very young. McDermott is going to have this roster dismantled and get canned before he can actually turn things around. Unless the Pegulas are all in on letting him coach for his full five years. I can't see this team being good until the 2020 season. 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Well lets examine that

You are off the deep end. Take a look at the list of FA WR coming up. Not much help to be had, after this years debacle you will have to overpay any WR to come here.

Boyd is the best option but my guess is he will be signed by Cinci. The same Boyd that they should have drafted instead of Ragland. I remember almost getting banned for arguing with folks like you on draft night over that one. 

Losing on purpose is a sad excuse even you are better than that. 

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

What would you like him to say? What would soothe you?

Many fans seem to want coaches that mirror their own feelings. They want to coach to explode on the sideline in anger to show "fire" and they want the coach to go up in front of the press and throw the bad players under the bus, because that's what they like to do.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Bring in new guys..  I suspect they will be looking at FAs like a Hyde or Poyer, a little under the radar but really solid guys.  Hopefully at WR and especially O line.  I expect a WR to be drafted day one or two.  Maybe two.

But the T word.  I'm think that word should be banned.  I suspect everyone at ONE BD would as well.

I think the bills are doing exactly what the colts did when they wanted to go after Andrew Luck in the draft......but this time they will not be going after a QB they are just trying to get into top 5 so that they can either

a.  Draft a cant miss blue chip prospect

b.  Trade down and accumulate even more picks to address offensive needs in the high rounds

I mean....this is all my opinion if they were serious about winning this year moves would have been made already.......despite all the flak he is taking McD is not a stupid guy....did he all of a sudden become stupid?  No

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I think the bills are doing exactly what the colts did when they wanted to go after Andrew Luck in the draft......but this time they will not be going after a QB they are just trying to get into top 5 so that they can either

b.  Trade down and accumulate even more picks to address offensive needs in the high rounds

I mean....this is all my opinion if they were serious about winning this year moves would have been made already.......despite all the flak he is taking McD is not a stupid guy....did he all of a sudden become stupid?  No

He went into a season, as an NFL coach, with Nate Peterman as his starting QB. That is the very definition of stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

You are off the deep end. Take a look at the list of FA WR coming up. Not much help to be had, after this years debacle you will have to overpay any WR to come here.

Boyd is the best option but my guess is he will be signed by Cinci. The same Boyd that they should have drafted instead of Ragland. I remember almost getting banned for arguing with folks like you on draft night over that one. 

Losing on purpose is a sad excuse even you are better than that. 

You can make trades for guys that are on the end of large contracts and their current teams dont want to pay them

And then there is of course the draft...which becomes a lot harder to screw up the higher you pick

The QB is already on deck......I see a MASSIVE overhaul on this offensive line and wr core.....Zay Jones may be the only one that survives......

16 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Hughes is still performing at a high level, and they like the intensity he brings. They're also big on how he practices and like having him around to set an example for those inexperienced players on how to be a pro and how to maintain your health so you can play into your 30's.

Not sure where you thought i was knocking Hughes or saying to let him go... I am saying besides him our only pass rush is Kyle Williams and Lorax.. both are 35. Maybe I am crazy, but we need some not 35+ year old pass rushers for the future

The truth is the Buffalo Bills have been mismanaged on offense to the point that they do not even resemble a team that should be playing in the NFL.  Both at the QB position in particular, and in general.  I'm sure McDermott bears a fair amount of that responsibility along with the GM and ownership.  He isn't going to come out and say "Hey look, we ***** up in a big way this past off season.  It's going to take 2 or 3 more years to recover."  He says the nonsense that he has been saying all along.  Even when asked about players hurt during the game, he just says he doesn't know because he went right to the presser.  His post game presser is nothing but a waste of time.

Just now, Gigs said:

Should’ve built on that team he lead to the playoffs instead of deciding it wasn’t his team, like some egotistical prick.

I actually think it was the right thing to do to continue with the rebuild. I thought that team was mediocre at best and didn't have a high ceiling, and it was a little flukey that they made the playoffs. 

What I don't like is the way the rebuild is going so far. Not by record, but talent-wise we should be further along after 2 offseasons than we are. We basically have an entire offense to build still after 2 years. 

I wanted coach Clappy McDumbass gone the moment he clapped when we fumbled a ball, missed a FG, threw an INT etc. their play calling is boring and ineffective. He had his time in my mind and should have been let go this morning.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

They showed something about the Buffalo Bills on ESPN?

Most of the stuff I saw was on the greatness of Marcia Lady and the Cheats aside from the weird ass CG of the QBs, Randy Moss career highlights, Rand Moss at Niagara Falls and Young eating Applebees wings with Ranch...

I was listening to the Chiefs - Broncos game on the radio, the announcers were talking about who would have Home Field throughout the playoffs this season, KC or NE. 

The folks here on OBD are talking about who we draft next season.

This is not quite 1/2 way through the season.  ?

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I actually think it was the right thing to do to continue with the rebuild. I thought that team was mediocre at best and didn't have a high ceiling, and it was a little flukey that they made the playoffs. 

What I don't like is the way the rebuild is going so far. Not by record, but talent-wise we should be further along after 2 offseasons than we are. We basically have an entire offense to build still after 2 years. 

I don't mind a rebuild. What I mind is it taking two full seasons to rip out the foundation before the rebuild can actually begin. This is some ridiculous 4 year plan and in the modern NFL it isn't necessary. Teams can be rebuilt in 2 years and in some cases, the very next year.

There was no need to jettison players the way they have been. You don't have to take two years to "clear the cap" you can do it bit by bit every year. 

7 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

Not sure where you thought i was knocking Hughes or saying to let him go... I am saying besides him our only pass rush is Kyle Williams and Lorax.. both are 35. Maybe I am crazy, but we need some not 35+ year old pass rushers for the future

Gotcha. We'd all like to see more from Lawson and it'd be nice if Murphy could consistently stay healthy. Not saying the dude is All-Pro but he is pretty consistent in getting pressures.

This next draft is loaded with DL talent so if they think they need to add some pass rushers, they should be able to find a good one. On the flip-side, it's not a great draft for offense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MDH said:

I don't mind a rebuild. What I mind is it taking two full seasons to rip out the foundation before the rebuild can actually begin. This is some ridiculous 4 year plan and in the modern NFL it isn't necessary. Teams can be rebuilt in 2 years and in some cases, the very next year.

There was no need to jettison players the way they have been. You don't have to take two years to "clear the cap" you can do it bit by bit every year. 

Yup, I agree with the 4 year plan thing, and I think even that is a longshot at this point. It shouldn't take that long if you have the right people in place. 

We're also basically wasting an entire season's worth of games on the offensive end because outside of possibly Allen and Dawkins...I'm not sure we literally have another starter quality player that's being developed. I said from the beginning that I didn't care about the record for the first couple of years, I just wanted to see some legit young talent being developed. Instead, we're both losing and we're bereft of talent. Bad combo. 

2 hours ago, Zaso Art Designs said:

Another thing that he keeps saying is that we have a young football team. But the team isn't that young. 

There are older players, true, but there was a graphic yesterday during the game that said 40% of our roster is comprised of 1st or 2nd year players. That is a young, inexperienced team.

8 minutes ago, MDH said:

Or you rip the band aid off quickly and get it over with.

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Too bad that in America John From Riverside doesn't get to dictate to people the definition of being a fan. 

He doesn't get to legislate who is a fan and who isn't according to how he wants to be a fan. 

You're happy with this, keep clapping. For others, pointing out observable/specific things that bother them with this team is part of a realistic discussion about the nature of the team. 

The absolute fans will always point to - they need more time. They said it with Jauron, they said it with Gailey and so on. The answer is always give them more time.

4 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Yup, I agree with the 4 year plan thing, and I think even that is a longshot at this point. It shouldn't take that long if you have the right people in place. 

We're also basically wasting an entire season's worth of games on the offensive end because outside of possibly Allen and Dawkins...I'm not sure we literally have another starter quality player that's being developed. I said from the beginning that I didn't care about the record for the first couple of years, I just wanted to see some legit young talent being developed. Instead, we're both losing and we're bereft of talent. Bad combo. 

Come on.  Jones looked good last night.  He's coming on.

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Too bad that in America John From Riverside doesn't get to dictate to people the definition of being a fan. 

He doesn't get to legislate who is a fan and who isn't according to how he wants to be a fan. 

You're happy with this, keep clapping. For others, pointing out observable/specific things that bother them with this team is part of a realistic discussion about the nature of the team. 

The absolute fans will always point to - they need more time. They said it with Jauron, they said it with Gailey and so on. The answer is always give them more time.

Look at you, Captain America.

:lol:

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Who was the can't miss blue chip prospect? 

I hope you're not talking about Allen. 

He was far from "can't miss"

Just now, joesixpack said:

Look at you, Captain America.

:lol:

Yeah joe, keep laughing it up. 

This is so funny. 

2-6 and scoring 10 ppg now in 2018. 

Haha and hehe. 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This is so funny. 

Haha and hehe. 

You seem sad. A suggestion from a fan of the team for the past almost four decades: if they make you this upset, maybe it's time to find a new hobby.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Who was the can't miss blue chip prospect? 

I hope you're not talking about Allen. 

He was far from "can't miss"

This is so funny. 

Haha and hehe. 

Jesus....why am I even talk to you?

Stay away from the sharp objects sir....I am talking about blue chip in the NEXT DRAFT THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT

Carry on...im done with you

29 minutes ago, Heitz said:

What does this mean - how do you hold a "franchise" accountable?

In the past few years we had new owners, new coaches, new GM, a mostly new roster - who else are they going to hold accountable?  I suppose if fans really want to "make them accountable" they could stop going to games, but call me when that happens, I'll be able to get tickets on the cheap!

Well our Coach did say that he regrets the result of the decision to start Peterman over Tyrod, so you're right, at this point nothing will change our owners mind. 

They've gone silent, Beane hasn't been in front of mic in forever speaking about the state of the team. 

They wanted a more polished front man and they got wanted they wanted. Someone who will read from the cue cards. 

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Jesus....why am I even talk to you?

Stay away from the sharp objects sir....I am talking about blue chip in the NEXT DRAFT THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT

Carry on...im done with you

The same GM that tells you after they trade Watkins, Dareus, Darby that they are trying to win now and compete in the future, has now secretly masterminded a 2018 tank job to get a high pick in 2019?

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You seem sad. A suggestion from a fan of the team for the past almost four decades: if they make you this upset, maybe it's time to find a new hobby.

Nope. 

This is an attempt to shame me. Not going to work. 

I'm bringing up relevant facts. 

You seem to always defend the Bills, no matter the results. 

At 2-6, 10 ppg offensively, a 35-year old QB out of retirement, and a Coach who is a CD player set to repeat, I think the fans deserve better. 

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I'm bringing up relevant facts. 

You're being an overemotional child. Evidence: you're supporting firing a coach and GM less than two years into their tenure.

That's not the reaction of a grounded adult. It's the reaction of a kid in a grocery line who doesn't get a candy bar.

I defend this regime because it's EVIDENTLY CLEAR that they do have a plan, even if YOU and the likes of you don't like it.

Edited by joesixpack

Just now, joesixpack said:

You're being an overemotional child. Evidence: you're supporting firing a coach and GM less than two years into their tenure.

That's not the reaction of a grounded adult. It's the reaction of a kid in a grocery line who doesn't get a candy bar.

WRONG.

IN THIS THREAD I'VE REPEATEDLY SAID: "They got to the Playoffs in 2017, so they get 2018 and 2019."

He's not out of answers, he's just tired of explaining what should be obvious to people who follow the team closely, ie this is year 2 of a 4 year plan and it was always going to be a little rough trying to accumulate cap space and work in both a rookie QB and MLB.