Sean McDermott is Out of Answers

When McD didn't realize that a tie with the Colts was just as bad as a loss in the playoff race, he exposed himself.   And then to make matters worse, he doubled down on it, repeating the phrase "I'd rather have a tie than a loss" as though it had some sort of deep significance that we mere mortals didn't grasp.  

He seems like a great guy.  Perfect to be a character-building, high-school type coach.   

But comparing him to McVay is like comparing a rotary dial telephone to a new iPhone.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I can’t wait either. I’m sure you’ll be here saying you were wrong when McD gets canned too. 

I am quite sure if this team turns it around next year you will just change your screen name.....

45 minutes ago, MRM33064 said:

When McD didn't realize that a tie with the Colts was just as bad as a loss in the playoff race, he exposed himself.   And then to make matters worse, he doubled down on it, repeating the phrase "I'd rather have a tie than a loss" as though it had some sort of deep significance that we mere mortals didn't grasp.  

He seems like a great guy.  Perfect to be a character-building, high-school type coach.   

But comparing him to McVay is like comparing a rotary dial telephone to a new iPhone.

McD is a very good defensive coach....we have a great defense

McVay is a very good offensive coach....they have a great offense

Sean McDermott always states that he has seen this done before. Once in Philadelphia with Andy Reid and with River Boat Ron in Carolina. If the 2019 Buffalo Bills team resembles anything to the 2018 Buffalo Bills team, Than yes get rid of him.

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am quite sure if this team turns it around next year you will just change your screen name.....

How do you reconcile the fact that you condem other Bills fans for not being supportive enough, but you’ve been wrong about the Bills for 18 of 19 years? 

This is assuming you’ve always been the billiever you seem to be on here. 

How do reconcile that you’re wrong almost all the time about how good the Bills will be? 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

How do you reconcile the fact that you condem other Bills fans for not being supportive enough, but you’ve been wrong about the Bills for 18 of 19 years? 

This is assuming you’ve always been the billiever you seem to be on here. 

How do reconcile that you’re wrong almost all the time about how good the Bills will be? 

When have I EVER said that the bills would be good this year?

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

When have I EVER said that the bills would be good this year?

Ok, then stop ripping fans who are venting about this nonsense we’re watching as whiners. 

People has legitimate points on McDermott. 

Did the thread read say fire Beane and McDermott immediately? No. It made a case that what he presents to the public is not passing the sniff test. 

And to dismiss all the dans who agree because they aren’t good enough fans is insulting. Too bad we don’t all agree with you John.

You’re wrong on your insult that I’ll run and hide when McDermott turns this team around. 

You’re super fandom has you Pom Poming for a 2-6 team. I like to employ some critical thinking and vent when the team and coaching staff let’s the fans down.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

The fact that we have to start Nate Peterman again, and didn't cut him a month ago is a complete embarrassment. 

Never have I seen a QB situation this poorly managed by an NFL franchise. 

It's unbelievable that they needed to keep the guy around even though he'd failed so miserably, and now face what will likely be a national embarrassment on Sunday. It's more likely than not that Peterman will be a complete train wreck against the Bears D, and they might be playing Matt Barkley at some point during the game.

It's unbelievable how Plan A went so wrong, Plan B wasn't ready and then got injured, Plan C got injured, and they're now back to playing Plan A without any viable backup option behind him. 

Edited by jrober38

28 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

McD is a very good defensive coach....we have a great defense

McVay is a very good offensive coach....they have a great offense

The Rams are 8-0.

The Bills are 2-6.

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The fact that we have to start Nate Peterman again, and didn't cut him a month ago is a complete embarrassment. 

Never have I seen a QB situation this poorly managed by an NFL franchise. 

It's unbelievable that they needed to keep the guy around even though he'd failed so miserably, and now face what will likely be a national embarrassment on Sunday. It's more likely than not that Peterman will be a complete train wreck against the Bears D, and they might be playing Matt Barkley at some point during the game.

It's unbelievable how Plan A went so wrong, Plan B wasn't ready and then got injured, Plan C got injured, and they're now back to playing Plan A without any viable backup option behind him. 

And if Anderson can’t go, Allen can’t go, we’re signing a street free agent to play QB or playing Terrell Pryor/Logan Thomas. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Because the rams are further along in their rebiuld....you do realize they were a ***** show for a while and accumulated that talent right?

Meanwhile.....we sit in medicroty and average while the rams were picking in the blue chip rounds

Didn't the Rams trade away like 3 first round draft picks for Goff?

How are they accumulating blue chip players without first round picks?

Reality is that McVay showed up and the rebuild was instantly over...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Didn't the Rams trade away like 3 first round draft picks for Goff?

How are they accumulating blue chip players without first round picks?

Reality is that McVay showed up and the rebuild was instantly over...

They had already accumulated a lot of talent dont you think?

I would be curious to know the exact amount of players that are on the team from before McVay.....

Oh....they did have a tremendous amount of cap space and used it (to get woods much to my :(

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Because the rams are further along in their rebiuld....you do realize they were a ***** show for a while and accumulated that talent right?

Meanwhile.....we sit in medicroty and average while the rams were picking in the blue chip rounds

I keep forgetting about the process and the rebuild and the structure and the discipline and the draft picks and the cap space and continue to focus on results and records and data.

I need to get an excuse rolodex so I don't feel so discouraged by the situation.

11 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Ok, then stop ripping fans who are venting about this nonsense we’re watching as whiners. 

People has legitimate points on McDermott. 

Did the thread read say fire Beane and McDermott immediately? No. It made a case that what he presents to the public is not passing the sniff test. 

And to dismiss all the dans who agree because they aren’t good enough fans is insulting. Too bad we don’t all agree with you John.

You’re wrong on your insult that I’ll run and hide when McDermott turns this team around. 

You’re super fandom has you Pom Poming for a 2-6 team. I like to employ some critical thinking and vent when the team and coaching staff let’s the fans down.

First of all...I am calling you out for being a whiny crybaby....I really dont care if you cant handle it....get over it.....you are doing it

Second....I had a strong feeling this team was not going to be good this year.....but I really didnt see the need to rip the team when I understand what was doing......that is what many of you SHOULD be doing.....stop crying that the team is losing in a year when everyone told you they were going to lose.

This was always going to be a take one step back to take two steps forward year........all you had to do was look at the transaction of the team and you could see it was going to be that way.

Instead of whining like a baby stop and think about WHY this is happening (or dont...I dont care...but I will continue to call whiny fans whiny)

Just now, John from Riverside said:

They had already accumulated a lot of talent dont you think?

I would be curious to know the exact amount of players that are on the team from before McVay.....

Oh....they did have a tremendous amount of cap space and used it (to get woods much to my :(

They drafted a few good players and several busts with their first round picks.

Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley and Goff have all worked out. They're top players. 

Greg Robinson, Tavon Austin and Alec Ogletree were all huge busts, and they haven't had a 1st round pick the last two years. Most of their 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks haven't amounted to anything. 

McVay is an elite coach. He completely turned around Jared Goff because he's an elite offensive mind, and he hired an elite coordinator to coach the defense. They're dominant on both sides of the ball. 

McDermott has been a complete failure on offense. He's mismanaged the QB spot, and has hired two very poor coordinators. 

McVay is the vastly superior head coach. 

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I keep forgetting about the process and the rebuild and the structure and the discipline and the draft picks and the cap space and continue to focus on results and records and data.

I need to get an excuse rolodex so I don't feel so discouraged by the situation.

its not excuse....it is reality...sorry it does not fit your agenda

Just now, jrober38 said:

They drafted a few good players and several busts with their first round picks.

Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley and Goff have all worked out. They're top players. 

Greg Robinson, Tavon Austin and Alec Ogletree were all huge busts, and they haven't had a 1st round pick the last two years. Most of their 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks haven't amounted to anything. 

McVay is an elite coach. He completely turned around Jared Goff because he's an elite offensive mind, and he hired an elite coordinator to coach the defense. They're dominant on both sides of the ball. 

McDermott has been a complete failure on offense. He's mismanaged the QB spot, and has hired two very poor coordinators. 

McVay is the vastly superior head coach. 

Some pretty darn good "players that have worked out"

McVay is definately better on the offensive side of the ball.....regarding Goff....they did what they need to do with Allen......get the players around him to make plays for him.

Its interesting that Goff can have a horrendus first year.....but bills fans cannot be patient enough to see what we have in Josh Allen....he needs to be good NOW when Goff was not.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

First of all...I am calling you out for being a whiny crybaby....I really dont care if you cant handle it....get over it.....you are doing it

Second....I had a strong feeling this team was not going to be good this year.....but I really didnt see the need to rip the team when I understand what was doing......that is what many of you SHOULD be doing.....stop crying that the team is losing in a year when everyone told you they were going to lose.

This was always going to be a take one step back to take two steps forward year........all you had to do was look at the transaction of the team and you could see it was going to be that way.

Instead of whining like a baby stop and think about WHY this is happening (or dont...I dont care...but I will continue to call whiny fans whiny)

I know why it’s happening.

The FO gutted this offense over the course of two years to better outfit the team in their vision of elite culture. 

Now the hope is we use our $80MM in cap space and 10 picks to out compete the rest of the league to virtually rebuild the offense in McDermott’s vision from scratch. 

I have the facts on my side John. You have hope. 

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I know why it’s happening.

The FO gutted this offense over the course of two years to better outfit the team in their vision of elite culture. 

Now the hope is we use our $80MM in cap space and 10 picks to out compete the rest of the league to virtually rebuild the offense in McDermott’s vision from scratch. 

I have the facts on my side John. You have hope. 

You dont have any facts on your side because the product is not complete of what they are trying to do.....I dont know why you are so dense in this area

YOU CANNOT MAKE A DEFINATIVE OPINION WITHOUT WAITING UNTIL THE FINAL OUTCOME

This was always going to be a bad year

By the way.....they dont have to "Completely rebuild the offense"  They need to add players to it for sure.....the QB is in place....that is a big part of it.....2 different OL......a OL changing position.....2 wide receivers....a better TE and this offense looks completely different

Edited by John from Riverside

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

its not excuse....it is reality...sorry it does not fit your agenda

Some pretty darn good "players that have worked out"

McVay is definately better on the offensive side of the ball.....regarding Goff....they did what they need to do with Allen......get the players around him to make plays for him.

Its interesting that Goff can have a horrendus first year.....but bills fans cannot be patient enough to see what we have in Josh Allen....he needs to be good NOW when Goff was not.

Goff was an elite passer in the Pac-12. He put up video game numbers for Cal with minimal NFL talent around him. He was the #1 pick for a reason. 

Josh Allen was just a guy in the Mountain West. He's never been an elite passer. Scouting opinions were extremely split on him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You dont have any facts on your side because the product is not complete of what they are trying to do.....I dont know why you are so dense in this area

By the way.....they dont have to "Completely rebuild the offense"  They need to add players to it for sure.....the QB is in place....that is a big part of it.....2 different OL......a OL changing position.....2 wide receivers....a better TE and this offense looks completely different

"A" QB is in place.

Who knows if he's the right guy. History shows he's probably not. 

Otherwise we need two new receivers, a new LG, C, RG, RT, TE and probably a new RB. Ignoring QB, pretty much everyone other than Dion Dawkins needs to be replaced. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Who is getting emotional John? 

Again all you have is wait longer.

That’s all you got. 

Wait longer. You’ll see, soon we’ll be dominating the league. 

Meanwhile Beane/McDermott have signed or traded for: Benjamin, Kerley, Anquan Boldin, Kaelin Clay, Rod Streater, Jordan Matthews, Corey Coleman, Corey Brown etc. 

Again we’ve seen the McDermott player. Usually an ex-Panther or washed up slow possession WR. 

Facts over Stories.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Jobot said:

Should the expectation for a rookie head coach be that he starts out an instant hall of famer?

I don't disagree with you about blaming McDermott for poor qb assessment.. But he seems like a hard enough worker with good character and leadership that he will be able to figure this out.  At least I hope.

McDermott is no longer a rookie head coach. 

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m just gonna put it like this, at least 8 players and the oc need replacing, you cannot do that in one year, which means next year won’t be good either. In a best case scenario you get a couple of decent replacements. This is mind, Mcbeane will never survive next year, so why let the guys who gutted it, and actually made numerous failed attempts with known commodities to rebuild it, and failed, why hand them the keys? It’s an offensive league, switch now, this offseason is roster critical, don’t let these offensively dense guys handle it

• Like (+1) 4

Did anyone ask him why we never ran another trick play or bring back the wild at after the first drive?  For our offense it seemed to be effective. We got a few first down s. Patsies** D was confused and scrambling. 

Or, why no more blitzing on Tommy? We only did a few times. Once we got a sack and forced an errant throw by Tommy.

1 hour ago, cgg716 said:

I’m just gonna put it like this, at least 8 players and the oc need replacing, you cannot do that in one year, which means next year won’t be good either. In a best case scenario you get a couple of decent replacements. This is mind, Mcbeane will never survive next year, so why let the guys who gutted it, and actually made numerous failed attempts with known commodities to rebuild it, and failed, why hand them the keys? It’s an offensive league, switch now, this offseason is roster critical, don’t let these offensively dense guys handle it

Makes no sense to replace the oc he is not the problem

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That’s all you got. 

Meanwhile Beane/McDermott have signed or traded for: Benjamin, Kerley, Anquan Boldin, Kaelin Clay, Rod Streater, Jordan Matthews, Corey Coleman, Corey Brown etc. 

Again we’ve seen the McDermott player. Usually an ex-Panther or washed up slow possession WR. 

Facts over Stories.

That is what I am saying wait a little longer we suck on offense now but they haven’t put their resources towards it yet

12 hours ago, jrober38 said:

No. He doesn't need to be a Hall of Famer.

I just don't think we should be committing ourselves to a HC who has fielded nothing but horrendous offenses. A guy who has shown no ability to evaluate QBs. A guy who insists on trading talent away so he can have guys who fit his culture, even if they can't perform on the field. A guy whose football team is now featuring the worst offense the NFL has seen in 20 years. 

What are we doing here? The NFL is about scoring points and we're still playing games not to lose, which never works out. 

McDermott is trying to win games 14-13 when the top teams in the NFL are doing the opposite, trying to win shootouts 35-30. Our whole approach is out of date and it's blatantly obvious on the field that McDermott's coaching philosophy doesn't lineup with what's happening in the modern NFL.

This is 100% McDermott and Beane's choice.

They're the ones who got rid of everyone we drafted except 3 guys prior to the 2017 season. 

Say it again for the old guys in the back. 

This is exactly why McD should be fired this year. Don't waste another minute on this old school, smash mouth nonsense. 

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That’s all you got. 

Facts over Stories.

Weren't most of those players on 1 year contracts? Seems like the kind of people you bring in to try and still compete while freeing up cap space for later.

Seriously wasn't this year supposed to be bad by design? I mean sure the coaches and players never admit that but then again they shouldn't. That's not the mindset they're supposed to have the team is what it is and it's their job to play and win.

5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That’s all you got. 

Facts over Stories.

Not really facts.  Quite a bit of emphasis on the negative.

I was listening to a radio program about the Giants today.  Fans were lamenting that the Giants kept trying to patch up the team in a futile effort to stay competitive - when they would have benefitted much more from an all-in rebuild.

The Bills have tried to do the patch thing.  For the first time since the 80s, we seem to finally be committing to a full rebuild.  Obviously not an easy thing for fans, but trying to draw conclusions about it right in the thick of it is a meaningless exercise.  It’s really just venting.

34 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Makes no sense to replace the oc he is not the problem

That is what I am saying wait a little longer we suck on offense now but they haven’t put their resources towards it yet

Was never a good playcaller, not in 2012, the last time he called plays or at anytime before. Good play designers maximize talent. If you gave Chan Gailey this exact team, he could get it to 20 ppg. So could Shanahan, Mcvay, Reid, Payton. We need to search their staffs for coaches, it’s where the league is going, no sign of slowing down, let’s catch up for once 

16 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I listened to the post-game show last night, and Sean McDermott is out of answers folks. When his team gets kicked in the teeth, he pulls out his Dick Jauron cue cards repeats the most bland answers and cliches. 

First question out of the gate: "your offense has 2 Touchdowns in the last 5 games, explain it" and McDermott leads with "the defense came out and played well at times"... "go back and find answers". 

On McCoy's ineffectiveness as a runner - "making sure we are giving LeSean opportunities, and I have to go back and look at the tape" - HEY SEAN, MAYBE STOP ALLOWING SWEEPS AND PITCHES TO THE EDGES

"Learn from our mistakes"

"We are developing a football team"

"Learn from the tape"

From your time in the NFL could you recall any offense you've been a part of that has struggled like this? .... "establish the line of scrimmage early, thought we did some of that early, they made adjustments, and we weren't able to sustain it really the rest of the game

Derek Anderson evaluation: "thought he made some good throws, and he had some throws he'd like back"

What is holding Derek Anderson's back: "being able to establish the run game ... stay in 3rd and manageable"

Why is first down such a problem? "Can't get it going"

And so I ask Bills fans, do McDermott's answers bother you? Because they aggravate me. You have Bills fans sitting out there all night to watch a 47 yard and 51 yard FG and they get: we have to study tape harder. They get we are building a culture as we "move this thing forward".  

I think McDermott really thinks that you can line up in 2018 with an extra Tight End and Fullback, and run over teams across a 16-game schedule. That you can line McCoy up and just use the run game to control the line of scrimmage and that still works in the NFL. That you can watch tape, correct mistakes, and learn to be good offensively. That stay in 3rd and manageable is an accomplishment. 

Halfway through the season, 11-13 as a Coach and I think McDermott is out of answers. If he was gifted Alvin Kamara today he wouldn't know how to use him. He'd slam him into the line 8 times and talk about physicality. 

Lol now I really feel good about this crew he sounds just like Belichik.  Does he mumble when he says it.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Out society is doomed

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Weren't most of those players on 1 year contracts? Seems like the kind of people you bring in to try and still compete while freeing up cap space for later.

Seriously wasn't this year supposed to be bad by design? I mean sure the coaches and players never admit that but then again they shouldn't. That's not the mindset they're supposed to have the team is what it is and it's their job to play and win.

The real funny thing is everyone said we would be 1-7 out the gate and here we are 1 game better and actually have a top notch D until they get tired from offensive struggles.  It seemed to me that Edmonds is doing an excellent job commanding the D.  The Patriots IIRC couldnt pit the game away till he was injured.

You know Its funny there is a lot of the sky is falling BS around here, but I really think the future looks bright.

19 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I listened to the post-game show last night, and Sean McDermott is out of answers folks. When his team gets kicked in the teeth, he pulls out his Dick Jauron cue cards repeats the most bland answers and cliches. 

First question out of the gate: "your offense has 2 Touchdowns in the last 5 games, explain it" and McDermott leads with "the defense came out and played well at times"... "go back and find answers". 

On McCoy's ineffectiveness as a runner - "making sure we are giving LeSean opportunities, and I have to go back and look at the tape" - HEY SEAN, MAYBE STOP ALLOWING SWEEPS AND PITCHES TO THE EDGES

"Learn from our mistakes"

"We are developing a football team"

"Learn from the tape"

From your time in the NFL could you recall any offense you've been a part of that has struggled like this? .... "establish the line of scrimmage early, thought we did some of that early, they made adjustments, and we weren't able to sustain it really the rest of the game

Derek Anderson evaluation: "thought he made some good throws, and he had some throws he'd like back"

What is holding Derek Anderson's back: "being able to establish the run game ... stay in 3rd and manageable"

Why is first down such a problem? "Can't get it going"

And so I ask Bills fans, do McDermott's answers bother you? Because they aggravate me. You have Bills fans sitting out there all night to watch a 47 yard and 51 yard FG and they get: we have to study tape harder. They get we are building a culture as we "move this thing forward".  

I think McDermott really thinks that you can line up in 2018 with an extra Tight End and Fullback, and run over teams across a 16-game schedule. That you can line McCoy up and just use the run game to control the line of scrimmage and that still works in the NFL. That you can watch tape, correct mistakes, and learn to be good offensively. That stay in 3rd and manageable is an accomplishment. 

Halfway through the season, 11-13 as a Coach and I think McDermott is out of answers. If he was gifted Alvin Kamara today he wouldn't know how to use him. He'd slam him into the line 8 times and talk about physicality. 

Right - but to his defense many NFL coachez do the same sort of thing.  Rex was one of the few that actually answer honestly and ended up shooting himself in the foot