Sean McDermott is Out of Answers

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

its not excuse....it is reality...sorry it does not fit your agenda

Some pretty darn good "players that have worked out"

McVay is definately better on the offensive side of the ball.....regarding Goff....they did what they need to do with Allen......get the players around him to make plays for him.

Its interesting that Goff can have a horrendus first year.....but bills fans cannot be patient enough to see what we have in Josh Allen....he needs to be good NOW when Goff was not.

Do you know why McVay is so successful with Goff? And had that turn around in year 2 versus year 1? There's a theory out there, and it's not going to happen in Buffalo with McDermott as his coach. I'm not saying Allen can't pan out, but the way Goff developed isn't happening with this defensive minded coach who can't manage an offense.

Just throwing Goff's name out their and saying "hey maybe Allen can do it" isn't really a legitimate point for why Allen will be good.

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Makes no sense to replace the oc he is not the problem

That is what I am saying wait a little longer we suck on offense now but they haven’t put their resources towards it yet

They've invested a first round pick on a QB. Traded up for Zay, traded a 3rd for Benjamin... I guess potentially bad investments are just ignored? Do you manage my 401k? Cause I fired that dude and he was kind of saying the same junk.

Maybe he knows this team is not going anywhere this year and there is really nothing else to say. The fans and media need to accept this is a bad team, let beane and McD build the team they envision. Crying after every loss to fire everyone doesn’t help anyone. Look forward to having 80 mil in cap room, 10 draft picks, one most likely being atleast top 5 , a solid defense in place, and hopefully our franchise already on the roster

More from McDermott yesterday:

On the trade deadline:

“Has to be the right player, at the right time, in the right situation as we move forward for long term success”

How have you been taking these losses: “Been a part of this before, we know we’re getting this turned around. We have a vision, and we are going to continue to drive to that vision”

How to get consistency on offense:

”We were able to move the ball at times, but not able to produce points. Starts with habits, the process and winning mindset leads you to results typically”

Expectations for Peterman: 

“Expect Nate to execute at a high level”

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Haha (+1) 1

During last year's (fluke) playoff "run", our head coach did not understand - DID NOT UNDERSTAND - that a tie against the Colts was just as bad as a loss.   

And when we think about the modern NFL, where offense is king (so much so that the rules committee continually designs rules to promote offense and scoring), and analytics are used by some as an edge, where other young coaches are continually experimenting with 4th down creativity, aggressive game-ending decision-making, and so forth - we have this tough guy, cliche-spouting relic from the '70s.   McD is that super nice guy from Peoria who sits next to you at the blackjack table and sticks on 14 to the dealer's face card because "he's got a gut feeling", and refuses to believe that there is any real underlying strategy to any of it, while McVay is counting cards looking for maximum decision-making optimization choices.   

I'm sure McD looked like a fuzzy warm blanket to Pegula when compared to Rex:  McD is polite, stable, very well-prepared, he has notebooks with little sayings in them (!), he likes "character guys", and so forth.    Nothing at all about McD says "innovation" or "modern" or in any way leads anyone to reasonably believe that he is the right guy to groom Josh Allen for greatness.  And let's face it, at this point, Josh Allen is our asset.  It's all on that kid.

The best we can ever hope for with McD is what we saw Monday night: a team that has a high effort, competitive defense that is able to slow down (not stop, but slow down) great offenses and maybe keep some of our losses close - although his teams have been blown out quite frequently to date.  McD is Dick Jauron v2.0.

We got a guy who is trying to make horses run faster (McD) while coaches like McVay, Pederson, Shanahan (and OMG I can't believe I'm saying it ... Mike Vrabel) are optimizing the engines on race cars.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really enjoy how Sean McDermott spins this as if he knew and planned it to be this way.

He’s seen it all before, done everything, thought of everything, but then goes out and gets his teeth kicked in.

Always the right player at the right time in the right situation, all premeditated and thought out.

Oh you mean how your choice Nate Peterman imploded against the Ravens and you had to rush Josh Allen in there. Watching Nate get destroyed for one half of football was what he needed to see to be ready.

Was Derek Anderson the right player at the right time for the right situation? A 35 year old career backup who was retired? He’s thrown 0 TDs and 4 Interceptions and fumbled twice?

All of this is just part part of the plan huh Sean?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I really enjoy how Sean McDermott spins this as if he knew and planned it to be this way.

He’s seen it all before, done everything, thought of everything, but then goes out and gets his teeth kicked in.

Always the right player at the right time in the right situation, all premeditated and thought out.

Oh you mean how your choice Nate Peterman imploded against the Ravens and you had to rush Josh Allen in there. Watching Nate get destroyed for one half of football was what he needed to see to be ready.

Was Derek Anderson the right player at the right time for the right situation? A 35 year old career backup who was retired? He’s thrown 0 TDs and 4 Interceptions and fumbled twice?

His pressers are unbearable. He talks down to everyone. The fanbase goes well Belichick does it. Belichick has won superbowls, McDermott hasn't done anything to be afforded that.

The national media rightfully laughs at him.

He's annoying. I'm fine with him being annoying if he gets it right. I'm just doubtful on that.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I'd love to agree with this, but I really need to see the film first (!?!)

There must be some hella good steganography embedded in that game film.  Or maybe there's subliminal messaging:  "EAT MORE POPCORN" ... "MORE PUNTS" ... "DRINK COKE" ... "SIGN MORE FULLBACKS" ...

1 hour ago, MRM33064 said:

During last year's (fluke) playoff "run", our head coach did not understand - DID NOT UNDERSTAND - that a tie against the Colts was just as bad as a loss.   

And when we think about the modern NFL, where offense is king (so much so that the rules committee continually designs rules to promote offense and scoring), and analytics are used by some as an edge, where other young coaches are continually experimenting with 4th down creativity, aggressive game-ending decision-making, and so forth - we have this tough guy, cliche-spouting relic from the '70s.   McD is that super nice guy from Peoria who sits next to you at the blackjack table and sticks on 14 to the dealer's face card because "he's got a gut feeling", and refuses to believe that there is any real underlying strategy to any of it, while McVay is counting cards looking for maximum decision-making optimization choices.   

I'm sure McD looked like a fuzzy warm blanket to Pegula when compared to Rex:  McD is polite, stable, very well-prepared, he has notebooks with little sayings in them (!), he likes "character guys", and so forth.    Nothing at all about McD says "innovation" or "modern" or in any way leads anyone to reasonably believe that he is the right guy to groom Josh Allen for greatness.  And let's face it, at this point, Josh Allen is our asset.  It's all on that kid.

The best we can ever hope for with McD is what we saw Monday night: a team that has a high effort, competitive defense that is able to slow down (not stop, but slow down) great offenses and maybe keep some of our losses close - although his teams have been blown out quite frequently to date.  McD is Dick Jauron v2.0.

We got a guy who is trying to make horses run faster (McD) while coaches like McVay, Pederson, Shanahan (and OMG I can't believe I'm saying it ... Mike Vrabel) are optimizing the engines on race cars.

Bravo on this Post!!

This is well thought out and stated perfectly. 

You're right, he didn't know. He was playing for the tie there, because its better than a loss in his mind. Didn't Rex do the same thing? A tie kills you and he's punting in OT. The obsession with Field Position. No different than Doug Marrone punting on 4th-2 in the 4th Quarter down by 2 scores from the Pittsburgh 36 with a 3-6 record in 2013. It's that obsession on field position and defense. 

What I am seeing and hearing from this Coach speak to all of this. I think you nailed the portion of your statement about the probable interview McDermott had with the Pegula's. Rex was a ra-ra emotion guy, probably some drinks were served. Typically teams sway to the complete opposite direction of the Coach they just fired. So McDermott comes in prim and proper, shaved, hair done, shoes shined, talking about discipline, hard work, watching tape, with the notebook of little sayings (nailed that) and he looks clinical. 

Right, the Henry Ford line. If I asked people what they wanted they would have said faster horses. 

I think the Dick Jauron comparisons are apt and accurate. He avoids a Hail Mary at the end of the first half because of the "risk". He speaks to all the same hallmarks. Field position, 3rd and manageable, establishing the run, being physical, line of scrimmage, avoiding turnovers, learning from tape and working hard. He really does believe that he can win 17-13 in the NFL in 2018 across a 16 game schedule. He said: it's culture over scheme. His comments yesterday are in-line with this. 

And you get to the heart of the matter here. A great defense of course can be a driving force in real sustained winning. But does this Coach feel like a guy who deep down wants to utilize the rocket armed QB that Beane had to have? Given the right players on the outside, he is going to abandon his run-first approach and start throwing the ball? Deep down he wants to transition away from possession WR's and more to speed so the offense becomes more vertical and risky?

I don't believe in McDermott because at his core he thinks watching tape and being on time for meetings will meaningfully separate/differentiate his team from other NFL teams. And we know that is not real. Doug Marrone was a conservative, disciplinarian. He's not working in the NFL. His QB is regressing and his shutdown defense is not close to where it was last year. We've seen this in Buffalo. You can't bank on defense carrying over year to year to year.   

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

His pressers are unbearable. He talks down to everyone. The fanbase goes well Belichick does it. Belichick has won superbowls, McDermott hasn't done anything to be afforded that.

The national media rightfully laughs at him.

He's annoying. I'm fine with him being annoying if he gets it right. I'm just doubtful on that.

Agree.

He's seen it all before, thought of everything, done everything. 

He knows the way to real sustained winning and since you don't get up with him at 3:00 am, you get laughed at (like McDermott did to Fairburn at the end of the press conference yesterday). 

We'll see Sean. You're 11-13 as Bills Coach now. Not meaningfully different than Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, Marrone or Rex.  

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Do you know why McVay is so successful with Goff? And had that turn around in year 2 versus year 1? There's a theory out there, and it's not going to happen in Buffalo with McDermott as his coach. I'm not saying Allen can't pan out, but the way Goff developed isn't happening with this defensive minded coach who can't manage an offense.

Just throwing Goff's name out their and saying "hey maybe Allen can do it" isn't really a legitimate point for why Allen will be good.

They've invested a first round pick on a QB. Traded up for Zay, traded a 3rd for Benjamin... I guess potentially bad investments are just ignored? Do you manage my 401k? Cause I fired that dude and he was kind of saying the same junk.

So somebody tells you that your gonna take a loss in your first year to take two steps forward......and you fire him after you agree to it.....are you a knee jerk investor?

He's trying to replicate the Panthers  Its not hard to see.  Panthers dont exactly have a terrific skill position players on offense but get by with Cam being an athlete and above avg defense/special teams .  That is the best this offense will ever be under his guidance  That is his ceiling of what he wants on offense.  Plus he hamstrings the offense by dictating ultra conservative play calling  .  I'm starting to lose my optimism in clappy

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/31/2018 at 12:14 PM, John from Riverside said:

So somebody tells you that your gonna take a loss in your first year to take two steps forward......and you fire him after you agree to it.....are you a knee jerk investor?

No I looked through all of the books and saw every 401k was underperforming versus the market for the past 10 years. Thanks for asking though. A knee jerk investor would say I'm done with the market. I've already given you more of a response than you deserve on some irrelevant bs.

Go back to McVay, Goff, McDermott, and Allen. Can you actually answer that question? I already know you can't.

Also your point about firing some after the first year, you're essentially making the argument to keep Jeff Fisher after he bombed with Jared Goff.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

No I looked through all of the books and saw every 401k was underperforming versus the market for the past 10 years. Thanks for asking though. A knee jerk investor would say I'm done with the market. I've already given you more of a response than you deserve on some irrelevant bs.

Go back to McVay, Goff, McDermott, and Allen. Can you actually answer that question? I already know you can't.

Also your point about firing some after the first year, you're essentially making the argument to keep Jeff Fisher after he bombed with Jared Goff.

Different is always better......right?

Just now, John from Riverside said:

You ABSOLUTELY do not know what you are talking about.....so I dont even know why you would even say that

This is what I'm talking about, and why I wouldn't expect Allen to have a 2nd year like Goff with McDermott as the coach.

I also prefaced that in my original post with, it doesn't mean they won't be successful but the Goff comparison makes no sense.

Here you go, read, and ***** talk football. Not reference my 401k joke, just don't be stupid. Tell me why the Goff comparison year 1 vs year 2 makes any sense with Allen. 

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/30/nfl-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-sean-mcvay-headset-audible-line-of-scrimmage/

McDermott is never doing that. They are constantly to the line late. 

But as you said, I don't know what I'm talking about. When all you've done is talked about knee jerk investing, and dumb deflecting ***** because you have nothing but tired cliches. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

This is what I'm talking about, and why I wouldn't expect Allen to have a 2nd year like Goff with McDermott as the coach.

I also prefaced that in my original post with, it doesn't mean they won't be successful but the Goff comparison makes no sense.

Here you go, read, and ***** talk football. Not reference my 401k joke, just don't be stupid. Tell me why the Goff comparison year 1 vs year 2 makes any sense with Allen. 

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/30/nfl-los-angeles-rams-jared-goff-sean-mcvay-headset-audible-line-of-scrimmage/

McDermott is never doing that. They are constantly to the line late. 

But as you said, I don't know what I'm talking about. When all you've done is talked about knee jerk investing, and dumb deflecting ***** because you have nothing but tired cliches. 

You dont know what your talking about

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

You dont know what your talking about

You have done nothing to defend your Goff year 2 point, and Allen could have that turn around.

It's just a sentence to you, and because you uttered it, it must be fact.

You should be banned for stupidity. You the softy that reports me?

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

You have done nothing to defend your Goff year 2 point, and Allen could have that turn around.

It's just a sentence to you, and because you uttered it, it must be fact.

You should be banned for stupidity. You the softy that reports me?

Someone reports you?  Your not worth the time for that

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Not really ducking anything....just making fun of you.....and enjoying it

Well, I don't usually do this, but now it's clear that you have no points to make... on to the ignore list. Should have done it earlier. 

This sorry ass trying to give me investment advice lol