Sean McDermott is Out of Answers

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

John Defilippo comes to mind. 

Chris Peterson 

Lincoln Riley 

Defilippo is going to be a hot name going forward.

Peterson seems to be a name that’s been mentioned for years now. I don’t see that happening.

Riley is interesting. I’m sure his name will be linked to the Browns quite a bit.

Ultimately, I don’t expect McD to get fired anytime soon though.

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It's amazing how things don't change here. He basically is a Jauron replica and the same people who liked DJ are the same people who are defending him now, and for the same reasons. 

Jauron's teams were the kings of the moral victory. I remember in those first 2 years how much praise he got from certain people about how the team "stays in" games. 

It's the same ultra-conservative offense with a bend but don't break defense that allows the team to stay within striking distance...but it's not going to get you a lot of wins. The problem is, these types of coaches are content with that. 

This is a good point. 

What little patronizing praise the media gave at halftime was like petting the dog on the head - "look at little Buffalo, they're doing so good to stay with Almighty Brady"

Now let's show a clip of Bush (not relevant in 2018) in Canada.....

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Totally agree. How much improvement can we reasonably expect in one offseason?

We're currently scoring under 11 PPG. Does anyone really expect that number to move into the 20s, and essentially double in one year? Probably not.

The Bills need to replace 8, maybe 9 players on offense. No chance that's happening in one year. 

I think the people expecting our problems to get fixed by a mediocre FA class are going to be disappointed. 

The only way this offense becomes successful next year is of Allen takes a major step forward and I’m not expecting that either.

I think this regime tore it down and hitched their wagon to the wrong QB. They put him in the worst scenario possible to try and develop. This offense looks like it’s years away from even being average.

5 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It's amazing how things don't change here. He basically is a Jauron replica and the same people who liked DJ are the same people who are defending him now, and for the same reasons. 

Jauron's teams were the kings of the moral victory. I remember in those first 2 years how much praise he got from certain people about how the team "stays in" games. 

It's the same ultra-conservative offense with a bend but don't break defense that allows the team to stay within striking distance...but it's not going to get you a lot of wins. The problem is, these types of coaches are content with that. 

Mcd literally played Jauron ball to a tee last night. Here are a few examples:

-Play bend but don't break defence 

- Kept the game close

- Punted on 4th and short at midfield down in the 4th quarter

-Ran the ball on 3rd and 8 on that last possession of half time

He was trying to keep the game close and hope the Bills got a few breaks that bounced their right way. It is sickening to watch. 

No one expected the Bills to win. But for gods sake at least take a couple swings at it.

Just now, jrober38 said:

Continued improvement?

The team has imploded this year. 

He inherited a decent team from Rex Ryan, and managed to go 9-7 last year. Now we're well on our way to a top 5 pick.

No offense, but the team is rapidly moving in the wrong direction...

They put a bunch of band-aids on the offense.  They've got $80million in cap money next year.  This is the NFL, you can't mask lack of talent with any scheme.

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

2. I really think McDermott thinks you can run over people in 2018. That you can Coach up scrubs and win. How is he any different offensively than Rex Ryan? Our fans hate Rex, how is McDermott any different? Look at the OC's he's wanted or hired - McCoy, Dennison and now Daboll. CONSERVATIVE. 

There is plenty of value in an explosive running game, but we're not seeing it with Shady and Ivory. 

You want to pound the rock, fine. Get an offensive line that can dominate the LOS and some explosive RBs. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Fire the OC. It’s not going to work. Bad teams with bad QBs still score sometimes. We never do and Anderson hasn’t even played bad. The offense is the problem. Get Daboll out and get McCoy or Haley in

I cant take you seriously when you suggest replacing Daboll with McCoy. 

Just now, TheElectricCompany said:

There is plenty of value in an explosive running game, but we're not seeing it with Shady and Ivory. 

You want to pound the rock, fine. Get an offensive line that can dominate the LOS and some explosive RBs. 

I hear you can get one of these for $80million

Just now, Bangarang said:

I think the people expecting our problems to get fixed by a mediocre FA class are going to be disappointed. 

The only way this offense becomes successful next year is of Allen takes a major step forward and I’m not expecting that either.

I think this regime tore it down and hitched their wagon to the wrong QB. They put him in the worst scenario possible to try and develop. This offense looks like it’s years away from even being average.

100%.

We have the wrong Head Coach, who has hired the wrong Offensive Coordinators, and drafted the wrong QB, and put him in a situation where he can't be successful. 

A year from now I think McDermott is close to getting fired. I think they'll spend money on the offense, and we'll still be puttering along with Allen at QB in an offense that doesn't score points. 

McDermott doesn't know offense. That's painfully obvious at this point.

You can't have a HC in today's NFL who is completely inept on that side of the football when scoring points is so important. 

6 minutes ago, Jobot said:

They put a bunch of band-aids on the offense.  They've got $80million in cap money next year.  This is the NFL, you can't mask lack of talent with any scheme.

Have you looked to see how much cap space a lot of other teams have? Our cap space isn’t going to solve our problems. 

Edited by Bangarang

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

So what?

Next year's free agency class is horrendous. There's nothing available at WR and next to nothing on the OL. 

This team will get better if they start drafting quality offensive players. They can't rely on free agency to fix their problems. 

3 minutes ago, Jobot said:

other teams will have cap money next year as well....I thought overpaying for FAs is what got us here....all the "dead cap space" we have

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

I cant take you seriously when you suggest replacing Daboll with McCoy. 

The guy took an offense that Tim Tebow was the qb of and reconfigured it for him to be semi successful. That is very impressive IMO. A guy that will take the players he has and make the most out of it is a trait that I personally value in a coordinator

5 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I hear you can get one of these for $80million

Yeah, sounds easy. 

We need to stop acting like free agency and the draft are a grocery store, where there's always stock of every item you need.

The talent pool is scarce, and there are plenty of hungry teams. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

37 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I listened to the post-game show last night, and Sean McDermott is out of answers folks. When his team gets kicked in the teeth, he pulls out his Dick Jauron cue cards repeats the most bland answers and cliches. 

First question out of the gate: "your offense has 2 Touchdowns in the last 5 games, explain it" and McDermott leads with "the defense came out and played well at times"... "go back and find answers". 

On McCoy's ineffectiveness as a runner - "making sure we are giving LeSean opportunities, and I have to go back and look at the tape" - HEY SEAN, MAYBE STOP ALLOWING SWEEPS AND PITCHES TO THE EDGES

"Learn from our mistakes"

"We are developing a football team"

"Learn from the tape"

From your time in the NFL could you recall any offense you've been a part of that has struggled like this? .... "establish the line of scrimmage early, thought we did some of that early, they made adjustments, and we weren't able to sustain it really the rest of the game

Derek Anderson evaluation: "thought he made some good throws, and he had some throws he'd like back"

What is holding Derek Anderson's back: "being able to establish the run game ... stay in 3rd and manageable"

Why is first down such a problem? "Can't get it going"

And so I ask Bills fans, do McDermott's answers bother you? Because they aggravate me. You have Bills fans sitting out there all night to watch a 47 yard and 51 yard FG and they get: we have to study tape harder. They get we are building a culture as we "move this thing forward".  

I think McDermott really thinks that you can line up in 2018 with an extra Tight End and Fullback, and run over teams across a 16-game schedule. That you can line McCoy up and just use the run game to control the line of scrimmage and that still works in the NFL. That you can watch tape, correct mistakes, and learn to be good offensively. That stay in 3rd and manageable is an accomplishment. 

Halfway through the season, 11-13 as a Coach and I think McDermott is out of answers. If he was gifted Alvin Kamara today he wouldn't know how to use him. He'd slam him into the line 8 times and talk about physicality. 

What exactly do you expect him to say?

"We didnt expect to win this year but hey.....keep buying those tickets?"

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

100%.

We have the wrong Head Coach, who has hired the wrong Offensive Coordinators, and drafted the wrong QB, and put him in a situation where he can't be successful. 

A year from now I think McDermott is close to getting fired. I think they'll spend money on the offense, and we'll still be puttering along with Allen at QB in an offense that doesn't score points. 

McDermott doesn't know offense. That's painfully obvious at this point.

You can't have a HC in today's NFL who is completely inept on that side of the football when scoring points is so important. 

A year or two from now we’ll be talking about how the next regime needs 5 years to undo the mess that McD and BB left us with. Wash rinse and repeat. 

People want to give McD the key to the city for taking an 8-8 roster and going 9-7 his first year and yet the roster he’s building is far worse than the one he inherited. If it wasn’t for Andy Dalton people might not want to be so patient.

A year or two from now we’ll be talking about how the next regime needs 5 years to undo the mess that McD and BB left us with. Wash rinse and repeat. 

People want to give McD the key to the city for taking an 8-8 roster and going 9-7 his first year and yet the roster he’s building is far worse than the one he inherited. If it wasn’t for Andy Dalton people might not want to be so patient.

but Dalton did in fact make the play

and the bills did in fact make the playoffs

And McD did that with a lot less talent on the roster because of the players we traded away for draft picks

and he is going to get more time because of it

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The guy took an offense that Tim Tebow was the qb of and reconfigured it for him to be semi successful. That is very impressive IMO. A guy that will take the players he has and make the most out of it is a trait that I personally value in a coordinator

That was a lifetime ago. He’s been utter trash ever since even when he had Phillip Rovers as his QB. How many times does he have to get fired before people realize he kinda sucks at his job? 

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

McD is never going to criticize any of his players or coaching staff.  Ever.  That's just how he is.  But in private I'm sure he is beyond frustrated and annoyed at what is going on.

I am quite sure there is some criticizing going on behind closed doors....he is just too much of a professional to throw it into the media

Why do fans make such a big deal out of pressers?  Coaches are contractually obligated to do them.  Unless you’re Rex Ryan and let everyone know everything in your mind, most coaches just try to do the minimum.

They don’t gain anything by being more candid or open.

28 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I don't think what the coach says to the media is really all that important to be honest. Belichick generally doesn't provide any answers of relevance either and he seems to do alright.

His coaching is all that matters (which I'm not particularly happy with either).

Bill Belichick gets the benefit of the doubt. He is a proven winner. He has the shield of Tom Brady. 

Bills fans need to stop pointing out the first ballot HOF exception. That Brady was a 6th Rounder so Peterman could work, and that Belichick was stoic so its okay that McDermott is an answering machine stuck on repeat. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

but Dalton did in fact make the play

and the bills did in fact make the playoffs

And McD did that with a lot less talent on the roster because of the players we traded away for draft picks

and he is going to get more time because of it

I know he’s going to get more time. That’s literslly what I’ve been saying for a while now.

I just find it interesting how no one seems to think he's responsible for this mess. 

It's unfathomable to me how so many other people are getting scapegoated ahead of the HC who is almost entirely responsible for putting us in this mess.

This is a Chip Kelly/Josh McDaniels situation all over again. Young, arrogant coach who gutted the roster of NFL talent so he can have his guys, and the result is arguably the worst roster in the league and the worst offense the league has seen in 20 years. 

We'd be smart to fire McDermott this year and restart with a new HC who might be able to better utilize all our draft picks. 

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Might of been good in past but is not good now.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

Just now, Success said:

Why do fans make such a big deal out of pressers?  Coaches are contractually obligated to do them.  Unless you’re Rex Ryan and let everyone know everything in your mind, most coaches just try to do the minimum.

They don’t gain anything by being more candid or open.

Because that's the fan's only window to how the guys that run our football team really think. 

The only glimpse into what goes on behind those doors. 

What is the logic in their decision making?

We don't get to have a beer with Brandon Beane at the bar and talk strategy. 

These guys make millions of dollars to be smarter than common fans and build a winner. Right now they're fielding an offense that is scoring 10 points per game.

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Bill Belichick gets the benefit of the doubt. He is a proven winner. He has the shield of Tom Brady. 

Bills fans need to stop pointing out the first ballot HOF exception. That Brady was a 6th Rounder so Peterman could work, and that Belichick was stoic so its okay that McDermott is an answering machine stuck on repeat. 

It doesn’t make a difference.  

Just now, John from Riverside said:

You right.....if it was that simple we would not intentionally be losing.

They are TANKING

My point is that it’s easy to tear it down and be bad. The hard part is building it back up. If you don’t draft quality players and sign the right free agents then it’s all for nothing. If McD and BB don’t strike gold in the next draft and Allen doesn’t take major steps forward then the results won’t be much different and they will be on hot seats.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Because that's the fan's only window to how the guys that run our football team really think. 

The only glimpse into what goes on behind those doors. 

What is the logic in their decision making?

We don't get to have a beer with Brandon Beane at the bar and talk strategy. 

These guys make millions of dollars to be smarter than common fans and build a winner. Right now they're fielding an offense that is scoring 10 points per game.

They don’t owe fans a thing.  That’s not their job.

38 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I think they're content with playing this season out, however it goes. Next step of the rebuild is FA and draft.

As a fan, I'm not looking for answers for this season, honestly. Just watching the games to see who I think will stay on the team.

Regarding the game, I thought they should've used Clay and Croom more. When they finally did, they almost scored that TD.

this is exactly where i'm at with it.  

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Have you looked to see how much cap space a lot of other teams have? Our cap space isn’t going to solve our problems. 

Correct, you have to convince WR and TE and RB FA's to come to Buffalo and play with Josh Allen. 

When Rick Dennison was already fired, when Brian Daboll has the offense at 10 ppg. 

In a division that the Patriots are ruling again. 

You're coming to them with poop and selling it as filet mignon. 

Here, look into McDermott's eyes and get excited about studying tape and working really hard......get excited about 3rd and manageable and field position!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I love this built-in excuse of the $80 million in cap money next year. Do you know how many teams have a lot of cap space for next year? This has the potential of a roll-over excuse for McBeane next year too if they don't end up spending much of that. 

The truth is...we have less young talent than we should in year 2 of what a successful rebuild would. We shouldn't have this many band-aids on offense in year 2. We basically still need to put together an entire offense with skill players and at least 3 positions on the offensive line. It's downright scary how much work there is to do on that side of the ball. 

25 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

An Innovative Offensive Mind that has experience developing QBs. John Defilippo comes to mind. 

Chris Peterson 

Lincoln Riley 

DeFilippo has 8 games of experience as an OC. Before that never higher than QB coach. It might work but McDermott has a much more extensive resume and I think we need to give the rebuild time.