Our new OC/Next HC...

How much money would/could Pegula throw at Tony Romo to bring him in as OC/Asst HC, with the plan to flip him to HC in a year or so?

Romo out-coached Garrett at the end of the Cowboys game last night. Making the proper calls from the booth on what they should do, and then watching Garrett screw it up.

Git'r'dun.

• Like (+1) 3

Coaches arrive at 5am and sometimes pull all nighters and sleep in their office. There isn't a dollar figure that would get Romo to leave a job where he works 2-3 days a week and gets paid almost as much as a coach anyhow, especially in Buffalo. Cowher has turned down the Bills multiple times

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

How much money would/could Pegula throw at Tony Romo to bring him in as OC/Asst HC, with the plan to flip him to HC in a year or so?

Romo out-coached Garrett at the end of the Cowboys game last night. Making the proper calls from the booth on what they should do, and then watching Garrett screw it up.

Git'r'dun.

At least a mil more a year than he's making on TV.  

1 minute ago, WRONG JOSH said:

Coaches arrive at 5am and sometimes pull all nighters and sleep in their office. There isn't a dollar figure that would get Romo to leave a job where he works 2-3 days a week and gets paid almost as much as a coach anyhow, especially in Buffalo. Cowher has turned down the Bills multiple times

Of all the sports guys out there. I'd bet Tony puts in a lot of film study. 

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

If we were going to bring someone from the booth, I would want it to be Bruce Arians.  

I would love this, I just dont know with his health if he would be able to. Maybe he can pull an Urban Meyer tho....

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah.  Romo will give up a cushy announcer job to coach the Bills.  If he did coach, most likely its the Cowboys.

I say we sign Kelly as HC, Thurman as OC, Bruce as DC and Tasker as ST.  We’d be pretty awesome!

Edited by davefan66
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

BUT, "We're putting the band back together."

6 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

Plus I think he just got his PGA tour card.

Why would he leave a multi mlion dollar cushy booth job to to work 16 hours a day 7 days a week? What makes you think he would be good at it. Diagnosing a play is one thing, calling a play based on a guess of what will work against a D is totally another.

McDermott isn't going anywhere any time soon. Buckle up buttercup its going to be a rough 9 remaining games this year. But they knew it was coming and kind of let us know too with thinly veiled comments numerous timws.

Edited by matter2003

26 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Yeah.  Romo will give up a cushy announcer job to coach the Bills.  If he did coach, most likely its the Cowboys.

I say we sign Kelly as HC, Thurman as OC, Bruce as DC and Tasker as ST.  We’d be pretty awesome!

not sure any of those four is coaching material, with all due respect to them as players

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I like Romo, but I have no idea why he'd leave the booth to coach.

He can write his own paycheck and work stress-free for as long as he wants.

...could not be better stated.......Mooch, Cowher, Billick, etc all have stayed in the booth or studio for the very same reason.....

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I like Romo, but I have no idea why he'd leave the booth to coach.

He can write his own paycheck and work stress-free for as long as he wants.

11 minutes ago, jr1 said:

Tony has the perfect life. He's not going to stand outside in Buffalo for 3 hours in Nov/Dec

I fully agree, but we are talking about spending Terry's money, not our own. So go big. Let's make it happen. :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...could not be better stated.......Mooch, Cowher, Billick, etc all have stayed in the booth or studio for the very same reason.....

None of those guys were players who were basically forced into retirement, one year away from the game, and possibly missing "they guys".

If any of them want to get back amongst it, it would be Romo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Git'r'dun.

I don't want Tony as OC.  He has no play calling experience.  QB coach/HC.  Hires a real young OC and a DC, and then he runs the team from the top making the "correct" coaching decisions.

1 hour ago, WRONG JOSH said:

And you know this how?

And there is zero need for coaches to do this.  I believe this is a rumor perpetuated by coaches who want to show how "hard working" they are.  Work smarter, not harder.  

• Like (+1) 1

Romo might make a million a year (it was reported CBS was going to pay Cutler 450k to be on their #2 team).  This seems about right as Al Michaels is reported to make 5 million a year.

Either way, Romo is getting paid a fraction of what the worst paid HC in the NFL makes.

Edited by Mr. WEO

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Romo might make a million a year (it was reported CBS was going to pay Cutler 450k to be on their #2 team).  This seems about right as Al Michaels is reported to make 5 million a year.

Either way, Romo is getting paid a fraction of what the worst paid HC in the NFL makes.

He will get a big bump when he renegotiates. If he re-signs with CBS, his agent will likely put him on the same contract cycle as Chris Collinsworth. I still enjoy Chris & Al but I'm pretty sure when they retire it'll be Tirico/Romo.

Edited by 416BillsFan

2 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

He will get a big bump when he renegotiates. If he re-signs with CBS, his agent will likely put him on the same contract cycle as Chris Collinsworth. I still enjoy Chris & Al but I'm pretty sure when they retire it'll be Tirico/Romo.

If Collinsworth weren't firmly entrenched in that SNF gig, that would go to Romo in a heartbeat.  I don't know one person that doesn't love listening to Romo call a game.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Git'r'dun.

giphy.gif