Bills should try to trade for Amari Cooper, Raiders shopping him

YoloinOhio

Guest Mike147

Cooper is in a contract year and will need an extension, so realistically his value is arguably lower than it would have been a year ago. Should we trade for him? I wouldn’t. The kid has talent but he’s been prone to drops throughout his NFL career. After two promising seasons he regressed. So the way I see it is if the Raiders are willing to cut ties and not pay someone that was a former fourth overall pick, I would be hesitant at giving up too much for him because he could be available on open market like Allen Robinson was. The counter argument to that is he might not pick Buffalo, at which point I’d say so what and look at other options in the draft and free agency. 

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d take a chance on him but I’m not trading any of my first 4 picks which will probably all be in the top 100 picks.  They can have any combo of Lawson, McCoy, Benjamin plus the Ragland pick or their McCarron pick back.  

You aren't getting Cooper for trash plus a mid round pick, this ain't Madden. Guess what if you are willing to part with players than they aren't any good then other teams probably know those players suck. Lawson I could see the Raiders wanting as a throw in but KB is stinking it up and McCoy is an older running back on a big contract not having a good start to the season. None of those players bring value to a trade other than a throw in. 

If the Raiders are trading Cooper they are going to want a 2nd round pick plus a 2020 pick. I am not saying I would give them that but that's what it would take to get Gruden to part with his best WR who is young and signed for a reasonable rate in 2019 and is currently on pace for 1,100 yards (And has 2 previous 1,000 yard seasons.) 

I would give the Raiders any throw in player or two they cherry picked off the Roster plus two third round picks for Cooper. The WR market isn't strong in 2019 free agency and Cooper at 13 million is a good value. But I wouldn't part with a 2nd round pick for him given his drop habits. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Mike147 said:

Cooper is in a contract year and will need an extension, so realistically his value is arguably lower than it would have been a year ago. Should we trade for him? I wouldn’t. The kid has talent but he’s been prone to drops throughout his NFL career. After two promising seasons he regressed. So the way I see it is if the Raiders are willing to cut ties and not pay someone that was a former fourth overall pick, I would be hesitant at giving up too much for him because he could be available on open market like Allen Robinson was. The counter argument to that is he might not pick Buffalo, at which point I’d say so what and look at other options in the draft and free agency. 

The Raiders picked up Coopers fifth year option which is for 13.9 million. Also why are people in this thread acting like Cooper is a trash player? He had 2 good years to start out his career and is on pace for 1,100 yards this season. The dude is legit productive and locked in for 2019 at a rate that is right around his production/potential level. If Cooper was off to a rough start to the season and beefing with Gruden I could see his value being lower but at the moment he is their best receiver. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, billsfan89 said:

The Raiders picked up Coopers fifth year option which is for 13.9 million. Also why are people in this thread acting like Cooper is a trash player? He had 2 good years to start out his career and is on pace for 1,100 yards this season. The dude is legit productive and locked in for 2019 at a rate that is right around his production/potential level. If Cooper was off to a rough start to the season and beefing with Gruden I could see his value being lower but at the moment he their best receiver. 

I think cooper’s value is highest to a team like the Bills. They desperately need a player like this. Even if he’s not an all-pro.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think cooper’s value is highest to a team like the Bills. They desperately need a player like this. Even if he’s not an all-pro.

I think his value is higher or at least as high to the Raiders. The Raiders are paying Carr and if they get rid of Cooper their best receiver for draft picks and throw in players than that is not only going to make the Raiders that much worse this season but it is going to piss off their franchise QB who is being paid like one. I don't think Cooper is on the market unless there is a very high offer for him. The Raiders don't have many blue chip young offensive players around Carr, Cooper and the tackle they just drafted Miller are the only two (Maybe Bryant if he comes back from suspension one day) you can't erode your offensive talent base like that to take back mid round picks. 

I think all these Shaq plus 2 mid round picks should get it done people are just day dreaming. 

28 minutes ago, H2o said:

Gruden only trades good defensive players, he would never trade anyone on the offensive side of the ball. :thumbsup:

...he certainly knows what he is doing.......despite being "shocked by Mack".........

Originally posted on Sportsnaut  |  By Vincent Frank

Oakland Raiders head coach Jon Gruden isn’t necessarily living under a rock. His team knows that trading former NFL Defensive Player of the Year Khalil Mack was a bitter pill for fans to swallow.

But through the first quarter of the season, no one could have envisioned just how dominant Mack would be in Chicago. After yet another brilliant performance Sunday against the Buccaneers, Mack has recorded five sacks, four forced fumbles, an interception and a touchdown.

Immediately prior to his team’s game against Cleveland on Sunday, Gruden expressed shock over yet another great outing from Mack earlier in the day.

“Damn — Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked, via NFL Media’s Mike Silver. “Are you … kidding me?”

Guest Mike147
2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Raiders picked up Coopers fifth year option which is for 13.9 million. Also why are people in this thread acting like Cooper is a trash player? He had 2 good years to start out his career and is on pace for 1,100 yards this season. The dude is legit productive and locked in for 2019 at a rate that is right around his production/potential level. If Cooper was off to a rough start to the season and beefing with Gruden I could see his value being lower but at the moment he is their best receiver. 

To be clear I would not consider Cooper to be a trash player. Far from it. He's a talented kid and has WR1 upside, but downside is he still manages to drop some catchable balls. There's not a receiver in the league that catches everything, but if the Raiders are willing to let him go, then that says one of two things: 1 - they are being idiots again like they were by letting Mack go; or 2 - they release that Cooper is merely a good receiver not a great one, hence their desire to not overpay him.

Now I didn't realize they had taken his option, so that does give him extra value, but he's still going to demand a pay day. Would I pay Cooper that much money per year on his next contract? If he can become more consistent then he's worth it, however if he continues as he is then it's probably a bit more than I'd want to pay. I guess that's why I'm not a GM! But there are receivers available in most drafts and players that hit free agency, it's all about our front office doing their research well and bringing in the right talent. 

So to be clear, I don't think Cooper is trash, but there is a limit to what I'd pay in a trade and in a contract for a receiver that can blow hot and cold, and has been and still is prone to dropping catchable balls.

3 minutes ago, Mike147 said:

To be clear I would not consider Cooper to be a trash player. Far from it. He's a talented kid and has WR1 upside, but downside is he still manages to drop some catchable balls. There's not a receiver in the league that catches everything, but if the Raiders are willing to let him go, then that says one of two things: 1 - they are being idiots again like they were by letting Mack go; or 2 - they release that Cooper is merely a good receiver not a great one, hence their desire to not overpay him.

Now I didn't realize they had taken his option, so that does give him extra value, but he's still going to demand a pay day. Would I pay Cooper that much money per year on his next contract? If he can become more consistent then he's worth it, however if he continues as he is then it's probably a bit more than I'd want to pay. I guess that's why I'm not a GM! But there are receivers available in most drafts and players that hit free agency, it's all about our front office doing their research well and bringing in the right talent. 

So to be clear, I don't think Cooper is trash, but there is a limit to what I'd pay in a trade and in a contract for a receiver that can blow hot and cold, and has been and still is prone to dropping catchable balls.

I think the idea that people thought Coopers value was Shaq Lawson (A player who would be a throw in) and a 4th round pick must make people think Cooper is having a bad year (he isn't) or that Cooper is an over hyped player. Sammy commanded a 2nd and a defensive player of modest value and I would say Cooper 3 years in had more success and less concerns. Yes Cooper does have his flaws esp when it comes to drops but he still is a high caliber receiver who is in his prime. 

I think Cooper is going to want at least Sammy/Allen Robinson type money out on the open market. That's why I would be hesitant to trade for him as I don't think he has proven to be worth anywhere near the 16 million he likely will command. I do actually think Cooper is better than Sammy and Allen Robinson but those deals throw the market out of whack because there haven't been many legit WR's to hit the market and WR drafts haven't been strong recently. 

Once again you can say hey this is what I would be willing to offer (Shaq plus a mid round pick) but that's far from what his value actually would be in a trade. It's not like Amari Cooper is in Gruden's dog house or has requested a trade and he is having a productive season. The Raiders aren't shopping him and they likely value him because he is their most productive receiver and he is locked in for one more year at a price that is close to what he is worth. 

On 10/4/2018 at 1:12 PM, billsfan89 said:

I think his value is higher or at least as high to the Raiders. The Raiders are paying Carr and if they get rid of Cooper their best receiver for draft picks and throw in players than that is not only going to make the Raiders that much worse this season but it is going to piss off their franchise QB who is being paid like one. I don't think Cooper is on the market unless there is a very high offer for him. The Raiders don't have many blue chip young offensive players around Carr, Cooper and the tackle they just drafted Miller are the only two (Maybe Bryant if he comes back from suspension one day) you can't erode your offensive talent base like that to take back mid round picks. 

I think all these Shaq plus 2 mid round picks should get it done people are just day dreaming. 

Beane is not gonna trade away future picks like that....he would rather keep them and pick.

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Beane is not gonna trade away future picks like that....he would rather keep them and pick.

I agree, this trade isn't going to happen, Cooper isn't on the market and isn't a problem for the Raiders and it isnt' in Beane's profile to trade multiple premium picks for a talent. I think people were just throwing out pipe dreams of acquiring Cooper for mid round picks and a throw in player like Shaq Lawson. 

If Beane acquired about Mack, I’m guessing he will acquire about Cooper too. At leas5 I sure hope he does. 

I know he had a down year last season, and has been kind of up and down this season. But he’s got a ton of talent and is young enough that he could continue to grow with Josh Allen. 

If the price is right, get it done!